* Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 273, 13 07 17 *

Started Jul 17, 2013 | Discussions
LouHolland
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,249
Like?
Re: Speedster..
In reply to Fixxxer, Jul 17, 2013

Fixxxer, You wrote "Perhaps I'm stupid", well I wouldn't name you that way as I think you are a intelligent lady or man. However bringing the movement only to the background or only to the boat is common point of view in photography and I decided not to follow that regular viewpoint. So that means I take the risk for reactions like this one from you, and I accept that as it associated with this thread. I'm glad with your candid opinion.

Lou

-

Fixxxer wrote:

Hello Lou,

Perhaps I'm stupid or something but I don't get this one... If you wanted the boat to have the movement I think it would look better with a little less so on it. Or not at all on the boat but just the background and water. As it looks now I think it's just too much movement in the photo. The eye can't focus on anything at all and that's quite unsettling... but I very much would like to hear your idea with the photo having it the way it is. It is a bit experimental so maybe I'm just missing the point?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LouHolland
Like?
Re: Painted Face
In reply to 19andrew47, Jul 17, 2013

Andrew, the open mouth, the eyes it all showed the strong concentration, also the little girl showed some marks from her action. However it seems the paintres have quite hairy arms! Is there someting possible to handle that point or is she a boy? Anyway I like the shot.

Lou

-

19andrew47 wrote:

Under a tent at night outside at a charity event for the Canadian Cancer Society. A fairly heavy crop and with OM Flash grip and flash on E-1.

Andrew

14 - 54 mm

19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 12,710Gear list
Like?
In reply to LouHolland, Jul 17, 2013

Your taking a risk with this one Lou!  I really like part of the image, from the point where the blue of the hull of the boat meets a horizontal line across the image on the left, down.  I like the texture, lines and colour of that part of the image.  Looking only at that part it has a very abstract feel.  (I scrolled the image upward on the screen to block the view of the top part of the image.)  For me, there I too much white 'highlight' in the top part of the image.

I assume you accomplished all this in processing.  It takes imagination and skill to see the possibilities in an image other than what is immediately available.  Also, a desire to experiment and you have those.

Andrew

19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 12,710Gear list
Like?
Lou
In reply to LouHolland, Jul 18, 2013

Actually Lou, the arms were not hairy, though they look that way in the monochrome image. That is a result of certain choices I made in the processing. She has red hair and common for that hair type, also lots of freckles. It is the freckles that give that appearance after the processing. The colour image is below.  At the moment, it is not showing, but will probably show later.  Anyway, if you click on it now it will show.

Andrew

14 -54 mm

LouHolland
Like?
Re: Lou
In reply to 19andrew47, Jul 18, 2013

Hahahaha Andrew, man I now see what it is, but it tells me also I like the colour version way more. Fantastic to see what freckles can do

Lou

19andrew47 wrote:

Actually Lou, the arms were not hairy, though they look that way in the monochrome image. That is a result of certain choices I made in the processing. She has red hair and common for that hair type, also lots of freckles. It is the freckles that give that appearance after the processing. The colour image is below. At the moment, it is not showing, but will probably show later. Anyway, if you click on it now it will show.

Andrew

14 -54 mm

LouHolland
Like?
Re: Evil?
In reply to kallmalm, Jul 18, 2013

Wow Daniel, Evil it is and a very likeable shot, but tell me why not a portrait format whit his legs with the picture and giving the head a bit more shadow adjustment so the white of her left eye got more visible as that will strenghen his attitude. Love it.

Lou

-

kallmalm wrote:

Dennis looks a bit evil in that pose when he is that wet.

I am a wolf!

-- hide signature --

/Daniel

greyowl750
Regular MemberPosts: 120Gear list
Like?
Electra

the 14-54 mk1 is a fine instrument indeed!!

greyowl750's gear list:greyowl750's gear list
Nikon D3200 Nikon D7100 Olympus Zuiko Digital 25mm 1:2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Zindanfel
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,431
Like?
Rudderless: 20th Century love affair

The lights in the harbor,
Don't shine for me.
I'm like a lost ship,
Adrift on the sea.

Sea of heartbreak, lost love an' loneliness;
Memories of your caress, so divine.
I wish you were mine again, my dear.
I am on this sea of tears:
Sea of heartbreak.

How did I lose you?
Oh, where did I fail?
Why did you leave me,
Always to sail?

~~ Paul Hampton & Hal David, lyrics from "Sea of Heartbreak," 1961

-- hide signature --

Zin

Zindanfel
Like?

Strong line-of-sight between painter and subject is neatly reinforced by the length of paintbrush.  The painter's concentration piques viewer interest, and her slightly unconventional grip + earnest mouth practically force one's buy-in to the scene.

Good, counter-intuitive choice to photograph the painter as main subject rather than the obvious option, the girl receiving paint.

What would you want to see, the creator or the creation?

-- hide signature --

Zin

Zindanfel
Like?
Post, Abstractionist ?
In reply to stephent, Jul 18, 2013

stephent wrote:

Hi everyone, this one was photographed at the same time and place as last weeks image. Again it is a play on the angles of the building.

Part three next week.

Regards.

Stephen.

Not as appealing as last week. Can't put my finger on it, exactly. Matter-of-fact, I suppose. Less complex -- somehow not as promising of an exploration.  Internal components don't seem to have natural affinities.  That could be the statement in itself?

-- hide signature --

Zin

Zindanfel
Like?
Stephen nailed it.
In reply to Fixxxer, Jul 18, 2013

Also, early morning and/or late afternoon light could have interesting influences.

-- hide signature --

Zin

Zindanfel
Like?

LouHolland wrote:

Speedster..

Thanks for looking/commenting

Lou

-

Marvelous photo, slightly mistitled. Could be more aptly, "Speed," because such a picture cannot be an object; it is an event, a phenomenon.

Electric-blue slice in lower right supercharges the picture. Amazing retention of visible portholes on the boat despite speed-blur. Great color, and in vibrant discrete bands. Impressive.

A little more space in front of the bow might be welcome.

-- hide signature --

Zin

Ernie Misner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,777
Like?
In reply to Zindanfel, Jul 18, 2013

Zindanfel wrote:

LouHolland wrote:

Speedster..

Thanks for looking/commenting

Lou

-

Marvelous photo, slightly mistitled. Could be more aptly, "Speed," because such a picture cannot be an object; it is an event, a phenomenon.

Electric-blue slice in lower right supercharges the picture. Amazing retention of visible portholes on the boat despite speed-blur. Great color, and in vibrant discrete bands. Impressive.

A little more space in front of the bow might be welcome.

-- hide signature --

Zin

A fine example of putting the fun back in photography.   Love it.

-- hide signature --
OlyChamp
Senior MemberPosts: 4,380Gear list
Like?
Balance

Innovative image well presented.  I see some have baulked at the shot, and there is scope for that to happen when most images we see sell the image.  Here you have to buy into the thinking.  You have to think.

And my thoughts are this.  The style is dramatic and it takes a little while to identify the key components.  When you do finally see a boat you've exhausted all the other components and found a medium you are happy to identify with.  Some have raised issues of light, but I tend to think that actually the light components balance the image.  The two bright areas middle left shape the bow of the boat and the light top centre right balances the top of the craft.  The "speed streaks" provide further balance.

Fine rendition, cleverly shot and processed for display.  It really does make one work their own mind.

Thane

-- hide signature --

E500, 14-45mm, 40-150mm, 70-300mm, E620, 14-42mm, 40-150mm.

OlyChamp's gear list:OlyChamp's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
OlyChamp
Like?

Black and white photography largely relies on drama to sell itself, and the pose of the painter certainly reinforces that thinking.  However when I saw the colour image I suddenly knew you'd presented us the wrong image.

Sure the emphasis is on the painter but that is somewhat lost in the B&W and suddenly comes to life when the bright yellow T shirt is brought into play.  Why?  Well for me a bright colour suggests an artist at work, which isn't evident in the B&W.  I imagine most artists show bright colours to help identify them in life and the painter hear to me sells herself and her craft in the colour image.

By the way, how did that bright Yellow become dark grey in the B&W?

Thane

-- hide signature --

Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
OlyChamp
Like?
Re: The Cross...
In reply to stephent, Jul 18, 2013

I didn't see last weeks (yeah too much work) so can't compare.

I think the symmetry in this would work better if there was no light splash on the central column and that streak lower left.  I like balance in images where symmetry is the key component and those two light splashes ruin it for me.  Others may differ though

Thane

-- hide signature --

OlyChamp
Like?
Re: One small step...
In reply to Fixxxer, Jul 18, 2013

The biggest struggle you have with your reworked rendition is the light.  As I see it you want to have the rocks as a highlight (hence the title) with the human figure seen as an interloper.

Your OP shot is trying to do that but yolu are struggling with one key facet that helps eliminate that focus.  Too much cloud.  The brightness off those clouds is drowning the image and taking away the emphasis on the terrain and that lone figure.  I agree the other worked shot displayed here is too over the top, it still retains the emphasis on those clouds.  Here I have reworked your OP image as a suggestion only, the image suffers due to small pixel size in copying but I hope it displays what I am thinking.

-- hide signature --

OlyChamp
Like?
Re: Rudderless: 20th Century love affair
In reply to Zindanfel, Jul 18, 2013

If that car was here it would be out of that field quick smart and refurbished to new condition.  We kiwi's are like that.

Great find Zin, but I do have a question.  Would the image have been better if less grassy green foreground and more of those interesting trees in the background?

Thane

-- hide signature --

Fixxxer
Regular MemberPosts: 291Gear list
Like?

Well, thank you for that compliment even though you can't really judge such a thing from a few posts on an internet forum - I might be stupider than you think

I really do respect your way of doing this shot and I applaud your creativity - it takes a lot of guts posting such a photo but I maintain I personally would have liked a little less movement over the boat itself. Like a light version yours in this shot. With that said, I wouldn't want you do it any other way if your intention was the result you got - I guess I just have to look at it differently to appreciate it more. Got any more shots from there and then?

LouHolland wrote:

Fixxxer, You wrote "Perhaps I'm stupid", well I wouldn't name you that way as I think you are a intelligent lady or man. However bringing the movement only to the background or only to the boat is common point of view in photography and I decided not to follow that regular viewpoint. So that means I take the risk for reactions like this one from you, and I accept that as it associated with this thread. I'm glad with your candid opinion.

Lou

-

Fixxxer wrote:

Hello Lou,

Perhaps I'm stupid or something but I don't get this one... If you wanted the boat to have the movement I think it would look better with a little less so on it. Or not at all on the boat but just the background and water. As it looks now I think it's just too much movement in the photo. The eye can't focus on anything at all and that's quite unsettling... but I very much would like to hear your idea with the photo having it the way it is. It is a bit experimental so maybe I'm just missing the point?

Fixxxer's gear list:Fixxxer's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Olympus E-1 Pentax K100D Olympus E-620 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
stephent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,422
Like?
Re: The Cross...

19andrew47 wrote:

Some nice graphic lines in this. The light coming through the openings in the sails creates some distractions though. I did a quick clone job to try removal and I think it can be done by someone with superior skills to mine. The cloning here is not invisible! Image below will be removed when I post next week's thread.

On a different note, if I had not seen the image from last week, I would not have known what I was looking at here.

Andrew

Hi mate, love your work, now I have about ten thousand images for you.  

I was not sure how to blend the light on the pole, I like what you have done, I cannot even see the work that you did on the sail so don't sell your editing skills short.

Regards.

Stephen.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads