"I dream of wires"... are you kidding me?

Started Jul 17, 2013 | Discussions
Mattoid
Regular MemberPosts: 224
Like?
Re: "I dream of wires"... are you kidding me?
In reply to walkaround, Jul 18, 2013

The photograph won because it ties in with the article more. Despite your entry looking more artistic.

1st place picture makes you think "hmm, that's a lot of wires"

35th place picture makes you think "hmm there's quite a lot pigeons on those wires"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
smallLebowski
Contributing MemberPosts: 512
Like?

It's funny how you are mad at something that is judged by not having correct exposure or other BS, which BTW many contenders have just right, but on the merit of art - it's simple when I look at the picture I may like good work, but may not so much like ordinary work. Your picture is boring. If it had colors at least - then I can understand some art, but using B&W is not a panacea and it won't help to cover lack of art in your picture. Nice try.

zkz5
Contributing MemberPosts: 645Gear list
Like?

walkaround wrote:

I just came in 35th in the I Dream Of Wires challenge. I'm sorry, but I absolutely do not understand the voting that went on. I don't usually make a point of criticizing other photographer's work, but the winning entry and runner-up have no artistic merit whatsoever. I mean none... and I am sorry for singling them out, but I have to say that losing to snapshots with poor color, framing, incorrect exposure, and no composition makes me want to avoid entering any more.

These results are what I'd expect based on my own experience with challenges. The closer you match the challenge description the better, regardless of artistic merit. I'd expect photos with lots of prominently featured wires to do well. When I look at your photo I think the birds look more prominent than the wires.

Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,080
Like?
Re: Frustration....
In reply to Images by Kipper, Jul 18, 2013

Images by Kipper wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment of frustration. I have trouble voting on Challenges that I enter so I vote on other Challenges; therefore I have no vested interest in the Challenge outcome. Still I get frustrated by the outcome of many of these Challenges.

Like you, I have also decided to take the results of these challenges with a huge grain of salt, and for quite a while now.

Our only hope and this has been said too many times before, Dpreview must clean out the Challenges sand box and let the honest kids play again.

There have probably been many suggestions made on how DPReview could do something about the challenge voting. They seem unwilling to do anything so I guess we'll just have to take what we get. I know that getting numerous 'poor' votes on a photo that is not poor is frustrating and sometimes rather disheartening. I would enjoy it if there was a way to turn the spotlight on people who make a practice of casting 'poor' votes against others in the challenges they enter.

santamonica812
Contributing MemberPosts: 797
Like?
Re: Further clarification
In reply to Images by Kipper, Jul 19, 2013

Images by Kipper wrote:

Jezsik:

In your reply you stated and suggested that “If I was given a hundred photos, I'd pare them down to ten and let voters decide.” Now I know that this idea has been discussed as a possible ‘New Idea Challenge Type’ in past forums during the many, many discussions on upgrading the Challenges. I see the type of approach you’re suggesting as being an excellent vehicle for some of our hosts, yourself as a prime example, and believe that many would support such Challenges. I know that I would and if I didn’t make the ‘Top Ten’ then I would be inclined to vote on the hosts nominated entries. Read as a self-admission that I find it troubling to vote in Challenges that I enter.

Cheers all ~ Kipper.

I was so pleased to read this.  This is an idea I've had for a challenge (actually, two separate challenges) that will be coming up in my challenge series in a month or two.  I will be interested to see how entrants respond to this.  I'll be posting more as the challenge date comes closer, and will be solicitating input (from hosts and from entrants) for rules suggestions.

Wildbegonia
Regular MemberPosts: 432Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mattoid, Jul 19, 2013

Mattoid wrote:

The photograph won because it ties in with the article more. Despite your entry looking more artistic.

1st place picture makes you think "hmm, that's a lot of wires"

35th place picture makes you think "hmm there's quite a lot pigeons on those wires"

May I ask you what it makes you think when you see entry #15? I am just curious.

Thank you.

-- hide signature --

'Balls! Said the Queen, if I'll had them, I'll be the King'.

Wildbegonia
Regular MemberPosts: 432Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mike Ronesia, Jul 19, 2013

Mike Ronesia wrote:

Show us a photo of a clutch of electronic wires or connections or something to help illustrate this newspaper editorial.

To me this line in the challenge description tells me the shot has noting to do with the artistic quality of a photo. I think the voters got it right based on this. What shot do you think would have better illustrated too many wires in story in the paper? I personally don't like these kind of challenges.

-- hide signature --

Mark James
A.K.A. Mike Ronesia

But you won one of Jezsik's challenges, did you not?

-- hide signature --

Mike Ronesia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,544Gear list
Like?
In reply to Wildbegonia, Jul 19, 2013

Wildbegonia wrote:

Mike Ronesia wrote:

Show us a photo of a clutch of electronic wires or connections or something to help illustrate this newspaper editorial.

To me this line in the challenge description tells me the shot has noting to do with the artistic quality of a photo. I think the voters got it right based on this. What shot do you think would have better illustrated too many wires in story in the paper? I personally don't like these kind of challenges.

-- hide signature --

Mark James
A.K.A. Mike Ronesia

But you won one of Jezsik's challenges, did you not?

-- hide signature --

I did. I didn't say I don't like all the host challenges, I said I don't like challenges like this one. For me the difference between the two is the wording of what the image is for. The wire challenge is all about illustrating a clutch or mess of wires for a story and that is rarely a pretty picture. A book cover tends to be positive to draw people in.

I might be wrong, but that's how I read them.

-- hide signature --

Mark James
A.K.A. Mike Ronesia

Mike Ronesia's gear list:Mike Ronesia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
jezsik
Senior MemberPosts: 2,567
Like?
In reply to Mike Ronesia, Jul 20, 2013

Mike Ronesia wrote:

I did. I didn't say I don't like all the host challenges, I said I don't like challenges like this one. For me the difference between the two is the wording of what the image is for. The wire challenge is all about illustrating a clutch or mess of wires for a story and that is rarely a pretty picture. A book cover tends to be positive to draw people in.

Good points, Mike, but don't forget that photography about more than pretty pictures. So much of photography today is used only to draw attention to something else (I love to use American Apparel clothing ads as an example). The art director might be called upon to find any sort of image to meet a client's requirements, including an unusual pictures of wires that compel a reader to investigate further.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads