"I dream of wires"... are you kidding me?

Started Jul 17, 2013 | Discussions
walkaround
Senior MemberPosts: 1,035Gear list
Like?
"I dream of wires"... are you kidding me?
Jul 17, 2013

I just came in 35th in the I Dream Of Wires challenge. I'm sorry, but I absolutely do not understand the voting that went on. I don't usually make a point of criticizing other photographer's work, but the winning entry and runner-up have no artistic merit whatsoever. I mean none... and I am sorry for singling them out, but I have to say that losing to snapshots with poor color, framing, incorrect exposure, and no composition makes me want to avoid entering any more.

walkaround's gear list:walkaround's gear list
Canon ELPH 310 HS Nikon Coolpix P310 Canon PowerShot S110 NEX5R Olympus PEN E-PL5 +6 more
jrtrent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,403
Like?
Re: "I dream of wires"... are you kidding me?
In reply to walkaround, Jul 17, 2013

You've got to admit, though, that the first and second place finishers have a lot more wires than your entry

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ConanFuji
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,214Gear list
Like?

walkaround wrote:

I just came in 35th in the I Dream Of Wires challenge. I'm sorry, but I absolutely do not understand the voting that went on. I don't usually make a point of criticizing other photographer's work, but the winning entry and runner-up have no artistic merit whatsoever. I mean none... and I am sorry for singling them out, but I have to say that losing to snapshots with poor color, framing, incorrect exposure, and no composition makes me want to avoid entering any more.

Do you dream in Black and White?

The top placers might not have as much artistic merit as you think they should, but they have content.

ConanFuji's gear list:ConanFuji's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F500 EXR FinePix S1 Canon EOS 40D Sony Alpha NEX-5
santamonica812
Contributing MemberPosts: 817Gear list
Like?
In reply to ConanFuji, Jul 17, 2013

I think photographers took a few different approaches to this challenge.  Some people included wires in photos that were intended to look beautiful (artistic, etc.).  Nothing wrong with this approach.  Others decided to focus (heh) on the ugly aspect of wires.  Nothing wrong with this approach as well.

Having said that, I don't find the top finishers in this challenge interesting images in terms of their composition, but I guess I can (unlike you) see how others might.  I suspect that--if I had voted in this challenge--those top finishers would have received votes of around 2.0 (maybe as low as 1.5, maybe as high as 2.5)

I, personally, am happy any time there is a challenge where there does not seem to be obvious examples of cheating/vote-manipulation.  So, with that bar being set so low, this challenge result does not bother me as much as in many many other challenges. 

ConanFuji
Like?
In reply to santamonica812, Jul 17, 2013

santamonica812 wrote:

Having said that, I don't find the top finishers in this challenge interesting images in terms of their composition, but I guess I can (unlike you) see how others might.

Why are you so sure I can't see how others might like it?

I embrace variety and absolutely LOVE to hear what others have to say about a certain photo.

Maybe you don't know, but I send voting reminders to every entrant 2 days before my challenges close.... therefore i do give a damn about what others like/don't like.

santamonica812
Like?

ConanFuji wrote:

santamonica812 wrote:

Having said that, I don't find the top finishers in this challenge interesting images in terms of their composition, but I guess I can (unlike you) see how others might.

Um, I was responding to the OP's comment (walkaround), not to yours.  (Nothing in your post would suggest that you did not see any possible merit in the challenge winners' images.)  

John Siward
Regular MemberPosts: 215
Like?
In reply to santamonica812, Jul 17, 2013

santamonica812 wrote:

ConanFuji wrote:

santamonica812 wrote:

Um, I was responding to the OP's comment (walkaround), not to yours. (Nothing in your post would suggest that you did not see any possible merit in the challenge winners' images.)

Try the "Threaded" view - it is easier to see who you are replying to...

John

ConanFuji
Like?

walkaround wrote:

and I am sorry for singling them out, but I have to say that losing to snapshots with poor color, framing, incorrect exposure, and no composition makes me want to avoid entering any more.

35th placing seems to be your new best at the moment.  (Congrats)

Szarlej
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?

Since we are on the point of complaining i may throw is some of my own.

If you can enlighten me what exactly is wrong with this picture to deserve so many 0,5s and 1s?

Deep Throat

Don't get me wrong the first place in this challange is definitelly well deserved, he got vote of 5 from me as well but some of the other .... seriously??

walkaround
Like?

ConanFuji wrote:

walkaround wrote:

I just came in 35th in the I Dream Of Wires challenge. I'm sorry, but I absolutely do not understand the voting that went on. I don't usually make a point of criticizing other photographer's work, but the winning entry and runner-up have no artistic merit whatsoever. I mean none... and I am sorry for singling them out, but I have to say that losing to snapshots with poor color, framing, incorrect exposure, and no composition makes me want to avoid entering any more.

Do you dream in Black and White?

The top placers might not have as much artistic merit as you think they should, but they have content.

Anti black and white bias? Ok... I'm not going to defend an entire genre of photography to someone who requires borders and watermarks in his challenges.

Canon ELPH 310 HS Nikon Coolpix P310 Canon PowerShot S110 NEX5R Olympus PEN E-PL5 +6 more
Skylane
Contributing MemberPosts: 640
Like?
No Kidding

I would say the winning entries did so on content. Your entry was mundane, nothing unusual or different, something seen every day. The winning entries are not something you see much of (at least in the US) these days. Still I do think you are an artist, you have the arrogance.

-- hide signature --

Charlie

barb_s
Contributing MemberPosts: 638Gear list
Like?

I think the challenge wanted a "clutch of wires"  and the host implied the more the better for the theme. The voters appear to have decided the  artful shots were not nailing the real intent of the challenge description.

-- hide signature --

Barb

barb_s's gear list:barb_s's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +2 more
walkaround
Like?
In reply to barb_s, Jul 17, 2013

barb_s wrote:

I think the challenge wanted a "clutch of wires" and the host implied the more the better for the theme. The voters appear to have decided the artful shots were not nailing the real intent of the challenge description.

-- hide signature --

Barb

Can you understand why an outside observer not steeped in the rules worship of the dpr challenges might wonder why the winners were considered exceptional photographs?

RuthC
Regular MemberPosts: 401
Like?

walkaround wrote:

Can you understand why an outside observer not steeped in the rules worship of the dpr challenges might wonder why the winners were considered exceptional photographs?

The winning entries may not have been exceptional photos, but they DID convey the idea of lots of crazy wires, with humour, which was the Host's aim for this challenge.

Your shot, seemed to miss the subject of the challenge, IMO. If the subject had been pigeons, then you would have nailed it, but it wasn't. I found the pigeons distracting, rather than enhancing your entry.

Just my 2 bits' worth.

santamonica812
Like?

walkaround wrote:

barb_s wrote:

I think the challenge wanted a "clutch of wires" and the host implied the more the better for the theme. The voters appear to have decided the artful shots were not nailing the real intent of the challenge description.

-- hide signature --

Barb

"Can you understand why an outside observer not steeped in the rules worship terribly interested in following the rules of the dpr challenges might wonder why the winners were considered exceptional photographs?"

Fixed it for you.

(But, seriously, when you don't really follow the them of the challenge, I think you run the risk of coming across like sour grapes when you complain about finishing behind entries that did follow the challenge theme.  That's my tiny bit of free advice...and as such, you of course are free to ignore completely.)  

barb_s
Contributing MemberPosts: 638Gear list
Like?

walkaround wrote:

barb_s wrote:

-- hide signature --

Barb

I tend to believe most people that spectate a sport care about or read up on rules to know what's going on whether it's a football game, Motorsport, or something like a photo challenge. So, to me,  I would not care what a casual observer saw here if they didn't take the time to look at the criteria for the award.

Of course when we had the challenge of challenges  , that's where the casual observer should see the cream of the challenge crop, as far as photography goes.

just my opinion here.   And BTW, I liked your Hitchcock like view of the birds on wires too.  I was trying to give a reason on why the  crazy wire photo's were at the top.

-- hide signature --

Barb

barb_s's gear list:barb_s's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +2 more
John Siward
Regular MemberPosts: 215
Like?

walkaround wrote:

barb_s wrote:

-- hide signature --

Barb

The results depend on the voters - in this case a bunch of random dpreview members.  Something eye-catching or humorous is probably going to score well.  The winner may be a snapshot, but it says "Wow that's a big buncha wires!" so it has a kind of humour about it that obviously appealed to enough of the voters. On the other hand, the photograph that came 3rd is a rather striking and well-composed B&W photograph which I like a lot.

John

walkaround
Like?
Re: No Kidding
In reply to Skylane, Jul 17, 2013

Skylane wrote:

I would say the winning entries did so on content. Your entry was mundane, nothing unusual or different, something seen every day. The winning entries are not something you see much of (at least in the US) these days. Still I do think you are an artist, you have the arrogance.

-- hide signature --

Charlie

Yes, by all means novelty should trump everything else in photography.

While we're talking, can I please see your non-mundane photography? Your gallery is empty.

jezsik
Senior MemberPosts: 2,573
Like?
From the Art Director

As the challenge host, I had some preconceived ideas as to what would work for this imaginary newspaper article. I was quite hoping for some brightly lit spools of colorful wire or side lit macros of wires spewing from some sort of electronic device. Sadly, there were an awful lot of pictures of sky ... which don't look so good in a newspaper.

Were I to play the role of a real Art Director, I would have returned nearly all the entries. The one that best illustrates the article is the 15th place finisher. The 9th place, Signal Flow, and 18th place finisher, Colorful Wires, were also quite good.

I've come to expect the unexpected in these challenges, with people (mis)interpreting the rules any which way they can to get their entry in. The sad part is the number of barely acceptable images. This challenge is a good example. There are very few really good photos in the whole lot. Granted, people don't shoot many wires, so it was, in the true sense of the word, a challenge. I doubt many folks went out to shoot specifically for this challenge, so we have a pretty lackluster showing. I think voters were just giving higher votes to things with more wires rather than artistic interpretation.

Skylane
Contributing MemberPosts: 640
Like?
Re: No Kidding

walkaround wrote:

Skylane wrote:

-- hide signature --

Charlie

Yes, by all means novelty should trump everything else in photography.

While we're talking, can I please see your non-mundane photography? Your gallery is empty.

No. I have no need for  my photos to be used on other web sites, in particular Chinese as has often happened here.

I am not a photographer or want to be. My post was my honest opinion of your photo, your righteous sounding indignation and dising  of other peoples work.

-- hide signature --

Charlie

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads