Cokin Z-Pro/X-Pro with 16-35

Started Jul 16, 2013 | Questions
rbarta
Regular MemberPosts: 264Gear list
Like?
Cokin Z-Pro/X-Pro with 16-35
Jul 16, 2013

Expanding my horizons I just got Cokin Z-Pro with ND and ND-grad but it is vignetting badly on my 16-35 at about 22mm and actually clipping at 16mm.  This is the lens I would use most for landscapes.

Does anyone have experience with the Cokin X-Pro with FF and 16-35mm lens?  Is there vignetting/clipping?  Is there a big stopper that will fit the X-Pro?

 rbarta's gear list:rbarta's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +6 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ESfishdoc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,457
Like?
Re: Cokin Z-Pro/X-Pro with 16-35
In reply to rbarta, Jul 18, 2013

If you absolutely need the wide end of the 16-35 with filters and you go with the Cokin X you will be very limited in filters you can get compared to the Cokin Z. Bottom line.. those couple of mm of wide are going to cost!

I use the Cokin Z and have a 16-35 also. Keep in mind that with the filter oriented with the clips top and bottom the wide sides are not clipped (My experience). My solution: 1. Go ahead and shoot at 16mm and use what I have. 2. put the camera in portrait orientation at 35mm and shoot a pano with multiple frames.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33755787@N03/9298639142/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33755787@N03/9300126622/lightbox/

Pick your poison...

http://esfishdoc.com/blog

My Flickr Page
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33755787@N03/
My Images at Photo.net
http://photo.net/photos/esfishdoc

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RayDee
Regular MemberPosts: 113
Like?
Re: Cokin Z-Pro/X-Pro with 16-35
In reply to ESfishdoc, Jul 18, 2013

I have the Z-Pro and did a slot setup modification where the lens adapter actually sits before the plate in the last filter slot. The slots are configurable for a reason...

Here is a forum post on POTN describing the procedure.

Downside is that you cannot easily exchange the lens adapter when you switch to a different filter diameter.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,792Gear list
Like?
Re: Cokin Z-Pro/X-Pro with 16-35
In reply to rbarta, Jul 18, 2013

What ESfishdoc said.

I think even on my Tokina 17-35mm f/4 on FF, I had to remove one set of filter clips on the Z-Pro and reverse the screws (so the heads face out, and the remaining tails face in) to not get very obvious clipping/intrusion into the FoV.

As an aside, I use the same filter frame on a Sony E-mount 10-18mm f/4 APS-C lens, and it doesn't clip nor vignette at the 15mm FF equiv.  The difference is that the Tokina 17-35mm has a 82mm filter mount, while the Sony 10-18mm has a 62mm filter mount.

 DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rbarta
Regular MemberPosts: 264Gear list
Like?
Re: Cokin Z-Pro/X-Pro with 16-35
In reply to ESfishdoc, Jul 18, 2013

ESfishdoc wrote:

If you absolutely need the wide end of the 16-35 with filters and you go with the Cokin X you will be very limited in filters you can get compared to the Cokin Z. Bottom line.. those couple of mm of wide are going to cost!

I use the Cokin Z and have a 16-35 also. Keep in mind that with the filter oriented with the clips top and bottom the wide sides are not clipped (My experience). My solution: 1. Go ahead and shoot at 16mm and use what I have. 2. put the camera in portrait orientation at 35mm and shoot a pano with multiple frames.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33755787@N03/9298639142/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33755787@N03/9300126622/lightbox/

Pick your poison...

http://esfishdoc.com/blog

My Flickr Page
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33755787@N03/
My Images at Photo.net
http://photo.net/photos/esfishdoc

Thanks.  Nice panos.

It seems I have to give up something as there are no 9 or 10 stop NDs for the X-pro.

 rbarta's gear list:rbarta's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rbarta
Regular MemberPosts: 264Gear list
Like?
Re: Cokin Z-Pro/X-Pro with 16-35
In reply to RayDee, Jul 18, 2013

RayDee wrote:

I have the Z-Pro and did a slot setup modification where the lens adapter actually sits before the plate in the last filter slot. The slots are configurable for a reason...

Here is a forum post on POTN describing the procedure.

Downside is that you cannot easily exchange the lens adapter when you switch to a different filter diameter.

I heard about the filter holder modification and tried it. It helped a lot but it was still vignetting, would probably be fine on a 17-40 (I have the 16-35 II, 82mm dia.  If the orig 16-35 filter size is smaller it might work on that).  I guess I just want it to be perfect. I think the only complete solution would be to go with the z-pro and beg companies to make a 9 or 10 stop ND for it. I will be writing them for that but in the meantime I am going to try the B+W circular 10 stop ND and give up on being able to also use a grad ND.

 rbarta's gear list:rbarta's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,122Gear list
Like?
Re: Cokin Z-Pro/X-Pro with 16-35
In reply to rbarta, Jul 18, 2013

rbarta wrote:

RayDee wrote:

I have the Z-Pro and did a slot setup modification where the lens adapter actually sits before the plate in the last filter slot. The slots are configurable for a reason...

Here is a forum post on POTN describing the procedure.

I first time see this modification, very interesting. I use Z-Pro holder. I saw another modification suggestion but not convenient when you need to change lenses. I guess this one is similar.

Downside is that you cannot easily exchange the lens adapter when you switch to a different filter diameter.

I heard about the filter holder modification and tried it. It helped a lot but it was still vignetting, would probably be fine on a 17-40 (I have the 16-35 II, 82mm dia. If the orig 16-35 filter size is smaller it might work on that). I guess I just want it to be perfect. I think the only complete solution would be to go with the z-pro and beg companies to make a 9 or 10 stop ND for it. I will be writing them for that but in the meantime I am going to try the B+W circular 10 stop ND and give up on being able to also use a grad ND.

I used to have vignetting issue (actually just one corner has obvious blue mark) with Singh-Ray LB polarizer filter in Z-Pro holder with 17-40L and 24-105L (both have 77mm adapter size) when it rotates to a specific degree. But now I sold 17-40L and use 17mm TS-E instead (which doesn't accept filters anyway), and replaced 24-105L with 24-70L/2.8 II. Suddenly this annoying vignetting issue goes away by itself as I guess 24-70L II is on 82mm ring adapter. So I am happy now as I have no plan to buy a UWA zoom as 17mm TS-E serves that purpose.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rbarta
Regular MemberPosts: 264Gear list
Like?
Re: Cokin Z-Pro/X-Pro with 16-35
In reply to qianp2k, Jul 18, 2013

qianp2k wrote:

rbarta wrote:

RayDee wrote:

I have the Z-Pro and did a slot setup modification where the lens adapter actually sits before the plate in the last filter slot. The slots are configurable for a reason...

Here is a forum post on POTN describing the procedure.

I first time see this modification, very interesting. I use Z-Pro holder. I saw another modification suggestion but not convenient when you need to change lenses. I guess this one is similar.

Downside is that you cannot easily exchange the lens adapter when you switch to a different filter diameter.

I heard about the filter holder modification and tried it. It helped a lot but it was still vignetting, would probably be fine on a 17-40 (I have the 16-35 II, 82mm dia. If the orig 16-35 filter size is smaller it might work on that). I guess I just want it to be perfect. I think the only complete solution would be to go with the z-pro and beg companies to make a 9 or 10 stop ND for it. I will be writing them for that but in the meantime I am going to try the B+W circular 10 stop ND and give up on being able to also use a grad ND.

I used to have vignetting issue (actually just one corner has obvious blue mark) with Singh-Ray LB polarizer filter in Z-Pro holder with 17-40L and 24-105L (both have 77mm adapter size) when it rotates to a specific degree. But now I sold 17-40L and use 17mm TS-E instead (which doesn't accept filters anyway), and replaced 24-105L with 24-70L/2.8 II. Suddenly this annoying vignetting issue goes away by itself as I guess 24-70L II is on 82mm ring adapter. So I am happy now as I have no plan to buy a UWA zoom as 17mm TS-E serves that purpose.

-- hide signature --

Thanks for the info.  Vignetting on 17-40 with 77mm adapter tells me all I need to know.  The Z-Pro is not for lenses <24mm.  Unfortunately I can't find 10stop for 130mm X-Pro.  When they make one, then I will buy an X-Pro system so that I can combine with a GND/polarizer and sell the circulars I just bought.

 rbarta's gear list:rbarta's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
marona
Regular MemberPosts: 169
Like?
Re: Cokin Z-Pro/X-Pro with 16-35
In reply to rbarta, Jul 19, 2013

i've got the Z-pro and 17-40 and it doesn't vignette at all. i have modified the holder so that it only accepts 2 filters at a time though, have you tried that?

-- hide signature --

_________
keith
www.marona.co.uk

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,122Gear list
Like?
Re: Cokin Z-Pro/X-Pro with 16-35
In reply to marona, Jul 19, 2013

marona wrote:

i've got the Z-pro and 17-40 and it doesn't vignette at all. i have modified the holder so that it only accepts 2 filters at a time though, have you tried that?

I guess depends on what filters you use. The only vignetting I saw from 17-40L at 17mm or 24-105L at 24mm was with Singh-Ray LB polarizer when it rotated to a specific degree that generated a blue mark at top left corner. I also removed one layer so it only accepted max two filters at front. However it didn't solve the issue. The modification I read before from the link below should solve this issue. But this is not an ideal solution when I need to change lenses often. I don't have vignetting issue from the two zoom above with other filters such as 4x6" Lee GND.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/34697350

Fortunately to me this issue went away by itself on 24-70L/2.8 II lens that has 82mm filter mount rather 77mm in the other two lenses. I have sold 17-40L and retired 24-105L since.

-- hide signature --

_________
keith
www.marona.co.uk

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rbarta
Regular MemberPosts: 264Gear list
Like?
Re: Cokin Z-Pro/X-Pro with 16-35
In reply to marona, Jul 22, 2013

marona wrote:

i've got the Z-pro and 17-40 and it doesn't vignette at all. i have modified the holder so that it only accepts 2 filters at a time though, have you tried that?

-- hide signature --

_________
keith
www.marona.co.uk

The modified filter holder will work on 16-35 through the full range only if the modification is made AND all slots are removed except ONE. What is the purpose of that.  I can just screw on a single 10-stop and get that.

I wrote Lee filters and they confirmed my observations but seem to think that the limitations are acceptable so I don't think they will be producing a 130x130mm (X-pro size)

I may experiment with the X-Pro holder to see if I can make it so that it holds a 100mm sized filter (Z-Pro size) in the first slot. Of coarse then the first slot can't be the polarizer so it still won't be a perfect solution.

 rbarta's gear list:rbarta's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads