A picture I took

Started Jul 16, 2013 | Discussions
rkhndjr
Forum ProPosts: 12,262
Like?
A picture I took
Jul 16, 2013

This may be a double post but I meant it to go here first time and sent it to Panasonic. Anyway, I took this using ambient light with my LX3 and liked it. Hope you do. Hospice worker at my house.

-- hide signature --

Russell Smith
Eternity was in that moment.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rkhndjr
Like?
Re: A picture I took
In reply to rkhndjr, Jul 16, 2013

That bad, huh?

-- hide signature --

Russell Smith

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
xMichaelx
Regular MemberPosts: 112
Like?
In reply to rkhndjr, Jul 16, 2013

No, not bad. But not great, either.

It works lighting-wise, but compositionally, I have a problem with it. Namely, the chandelier growing out of her head.

rpm40
Senior MemberPosts: 1,904Gear list
Like?
In reply to xMichaelx, Jul 17, 2013

It is a fine, if a little bland, starting point. Maybe try playing around with it to see what results you can get- maybe crop closer/get her out of dead center? Black and white conversion? Get creative and see what results.

Technically- keep an eye on your settings. That fast lens can keep the iso low for best results, but only if you open up the aperature. That said, I don't think the image is too noisy, so the actual benefit to the image would have probably been negligible.

rpm40's gear list:rpm40's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
brentbrent
Contributing MemberPosts: 795Gear list
Like?
In reply to rkhndjr, Jul 17, 2013

I am not a very good photographer. I'm learning and trying to stretch a bit, and looking at others' work here really helps. I think what draws me to photography the most is that essence of capturing a moment. Life in made up of moments, and they pass by so swiftly. Sometimes just being able to freeze a moment and and then being able to take the time to see and look at the meaning of the moment, means so much. Even if the photo may not be a "10" on the artistic scale.

I confess that to a great degree, moments that I've captured in images may mean more to me than to others. I think that is completely OK, that photographs have a personal meaning that may not always translate to others.

Your photo may not have all the best technical attributes that a photography critic might be looking for. But to me, the smiling face of the caretaker and the light on her face, the rather dull and drab background, the presence of the walker, all speaks volumes. I know the photo and the meaning of the photo speaks to you, in your personal situation. And I see you, the photographer, in this image.  Your photo brings tears to my eyes . . .

Peace.

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
rpm40
Senior MemberPosts: 1,904Gear list
Like?
In reply to brentbrent, Jul 17, 2013

brentbrent wrote:

I am not a very good photographer. I'm learning and trying to stretch a bit, and looking at others' work here really helps. I think what draws me to photography the most is that essence of capturing a moment. Life in made up of moments, and they pass by so swiftly. Sometimes just being able to freeze a moment and and then being able to take the time to see and look at the meaning of the moment, means so much. Even if the photo may not be a "10" on the artistic scale.

I confess that to a great degree, moments that I've captured in images may mean more to me than to others. I think that is completely OK, that photographs have a personal meaning that may not always translate to others.

Your photo may not have all the best technical attributes that a photography critic might be looking for. But to me, the smiling face of the caretaker and the light on her face, the rather dull and drab background, the presence of the walker, all speaks volumes. I know the photo and the meaning of the photo speaks to you, in your personal situation. And I see you, the photographer, in this image. Your photo brings tears to my eyes . . .

Peace.

Your comment made me take a second look at the photo, and see it in a different (and more meaningful) light. Thanks.

rpm40's gear list:rpm40's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
rkhndjr
Like?
In reply to rpm40, Jul 17, 2013

rpm40 wrote:

It is a fine, if a little bland, starting point. Maybe try playing around with it to see what results you can get- maybe crop closer/get her out of dead center? Black and white conversion? Get creative and see what results.

Technically- keep an eye on your settings. That fast lens can keep the iso low for best results, but only if you open up the aperature. That said, I don't think the image is too noisy, so the actual benefit to the image would have probably been negligible.

I am not making excuses but the circumstances in which I shot were quite different. I know all about composition and PP with CS5 but was at that time getting a chance to take a pic. That was all. Thanks for your interest.

-- hide signature --

Russell Smith

rkhndjr
Like?

brentbrent wrote:

Your photo may not have all the best technical attributes that a photography critic might be looking for. But to me, the smiling face of the caretaker and the light on her face, the rather dull and drab background, the presence of the walker, all speaks volumes. I know the photo and the meaning of the photo speaks to you, in your personal situation. And I see you, the photographer, in this image. Your photo brings tears to my eyes . . .

Your reply makes me feel there is hope for this country after all. Words such as these mean everything to me. God bless.

Peace.

-- hide signature --

Russell Smith

rkhndjr
Like?
In reply to rpm40, Jul 17, 2013

rpm40 wrote:

brentbrent wrote:

Peace.

Your comment made me take a second look at the photo, and see it in a different (and more meaningful) light. Thanks.

This is a very gracious statement and I appreciate it as I am sure the writer of the previous reply does.

-- hide signature --

Russell Smith

rkhndjr
Like?

brentbrent wrote:

You are a great photographer because your humanity justifies whatever you capture in way of subject matter. Thank you for being here.

Peace.

-- hide signature --

Russell Smith

doto41
Forum ProPosts: 11,066
Like?

This is a clear case where the subject and theme are way more important than technical aspects. True, it could have been technically much better, and maybe thus would have told the story in a stringer way, but the story is still there, and it is a touching one, and the expression and kindbness in her eyes speak volumes.

Be strong my friend, my thoughts are with you and your wife.

-- hide signature --

Dov
LX5, FZ8, FZ50, minolta 0, raynox 250, oly c-180, oly b-300 (and hoping for more :))
My Flickr

rkhndjr
Like?
In reply to doto41, Jul 17, 2013

doto41 wrote:

This is a clear case where the subject and theme are way more important than technical aspects. True, it could have been technically much better, and maybe thus would have told the story in a stringer way, but the story is still there, and it is a touching one, and the expression and kindbness in her eyes speak volumes.

Be strong my friend, my thoughts are with you and your wife.

Thank you for these kind words, Dov.

-- hide signature --

Dov
LX5, FZ8, FZ50, minolta 0, raynox 250, oly c-180, oly b-300 (and hoping for more :))
My Flickr

-- hide signature --

Russell Smith

radamczak
Senior MemberPosts: 2,301Gear list
Like?

I like this portrait, the window light works very well; the natural smile is captivating. This one is all about content, the type of family photo I like to take where the background clutter = context, and a backstop for memories in future years. You could darken/blur out the background in PP, perhaps crop to have the figure less centrally placed, heighten the lighting effects on the face, etc. In the end, it's how you feel about the result. I wish you all the best in what must be a very difficult time.

-- hide signature --

Richard
Mr Ichiro Kitao of Panasonic, please update the FZ50. The ergonomics in a superzoom remain unsurpassed.

radamczak's gear list:radamczak's gear list
Canon PowerShot A570 IS Canon PowerShot A720 IS Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 +3 more
rkhndjr
Like?
In reply to radamczak, Jul 17, 2013

radamczak wrote:

I like this portrait, the window light works very well; the natural smile is captivating. This one is all about content, the type of family photo I like to take where the background clutter = context, and a backstop for memories in future years. You could darken/blur out the background in PP, perhaps crop to have the figure less centrally placed, heighten the lighting effects on the face, etc. In the end, it's how you feel about the result. I wish you all the best in what must be a very difficult time.

Thank you so much, Richard. A kind reply such as this helps so much.

-- hide signature --

Richard
Mr Ichiro Kitao of Panasonic, please update the FZ50. The ergonomics in a superzoom remain unsurpassed.

-- hide signature --

Russell Smith

Darrell Spreen
Forum ProPosts: 10,056
Like?
I have to disagree.....

.....with most of the remarks so far.

I think this is an excellent informal portrait.  As others have said, the background -- the walker and the partial view of the person in the chair -- gives it much more meaning.  I think the face of the subject is wonderful with a genuine openness.

But I think the photograph is technically excellent.  It caught my attention immediately.  On my monitor, the colors are extremely natural with beautiful lighting and a full range of tones.  It shows the beauty of realism instead of the "pop" that so many seem to strive for.

-- hide signature --

--

Darrell

Susan Taylor
Regular MemberPosts: 224
Like?

The cheery look on the face of the hospice worker says it all to me....she loves her calling.  Her face to me almost seems radiant.  Perhaps I'm prejudiced as I know a sweet lady from our church who works in hospice care, too.  She feels it her "ministry" so to speak.  And having gone through the passing of my mother and father and grandmother at various times over the past years, I can certainly appreciate the workers with the empathy to care in such times.  Thank you for sharing and you and yours are in my thoughts.

danielsonkin
Forum ProPosts: 11,359Gear list
Like?

Hi Russ,

I haven't been around here for a while.  I am sorry to hear that your wife is at the hospice stage.  I probably have missed other posts with updates.  I hope she is comfortable and you are getting all the support you need.  I love this photo; maybe because I understand the context, but also because the ambiant lighting is really nice.  Her skin and the beautiful color of her blouse.  But mostly I love her smile.  I would hope that the hospice worker that cares for me or a loved one looks as loving and kind as Misty.  Thanks for posting the photo.  My thought are with you.

Daniel

danielsonkin's gear list:danielsonkin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 +2 more
rkhndjr
Like?
Re: I have to disagree.....
In reply to Darrell Spreen, Jul 18, 2013

Darrell Spreen wrote:

.....with most of the remarks so far.

I think this is an excellent informal portrait. As others have said, the background -- the walker and the partial view of the person in the chair -- gives it much more meaning. I think the face of the subject is wonderful with a genuine openness.

But I think the photograph is technically excellent. It caught my attention immediately. On my monitor, the colors are extremely natural with beautiful lighting and a full range of tones. It shows the beauty of realism instead of the "pop" that so many seem to strive for.

Darrell, I am overwhelmed! Thank you. I try, rarely succeed.

-- hide signature --

--

Darrell

-- hide signature --

Russell Smith

rkhndjr
Like?
In reply to Susan Taylor, Jul 18, 2013

Susan Taylor wrote:

The cheery look on the face of the hospice worker says it all to me....she loves her calling. Her face to me almost seems radiant. Perhaps I'm prejudiced as I know a sweet lady from our church who works in hospice care, too. She feels it her "ministry" so to speak. And having gone through the passing of my mother and father and grandmother at various times over the past years, I can certainly appreciate the workers with the empathy to care in such times. Thank you for sharing and you and yours are in my thoughts.

I thank you, Susan. Actually the girl loves my wife and makes her day when she comes. It is a wonderful organization and the women here are all devoted.

-- hide signature --

Russell Smith

rkhndjr
Like?
In reply to danielsonkin, Jul 18, 2013

danielsonkin wrote:

Hi Russ,

I haven't been around here for a while. I am sorry to hear that your wife is at the hospice stage. I probably have missed other posts with updates. I hope she is comfortable and you are getting all the support you need. I love this photo; maybe because I understand the context, but also because the ambiant lighting is really nice. Her skin and the beautiful color of her blouse. But mostly I love her smile. I would hope that the hospice worker that cares for me or a loved one looks as loving and kind as Misty. Thanks for posting the photo. My thought are with you.

Daniel

Daniel, I apologize for this late reply. My time is rather at odds with my demands here now and I have to get back when possible. I have never posted anything about this until very recently and that is why you have not seen anything. My wife's time is limited now and she is in bed and talks seldom. One day at the time..

-- hide signature --

Russell Smith

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads