Thieves in St. Petersburg stealing a camera lens from a tourist Locked

Started Jul 16, 2013 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
unknown member
(unknown member)
Re: Thieves in St. Petersburg camera and lens worst thing to steal
In reply to Riki, Jul 23, 2013

I cant help but think that its a bit silly (aside from the morality and criminal issue, just thinking logistically) to steal a camera / lens, even more for someone to buy such equipment without knowing where it is coming from (verifiable purchase).

The serial numbers effectively mean that the camera  / lens can never be serviced by a camera manufacturer authorized centre.

And they are not like stereo equipment /phones, changing a connection/ diode here or there, but specialized parts requirements and calibration.

Darned silly seems to me.

-- hide signature --

Amateur photographer. Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
ranalli
Contributing MemberPosts: 968
Re: Thieves in St. Petersburg stealing a camera lens from a tourist
In reply to MisterHairy, Jul 23, 2013

MisterHairy wrote:

Your reading comprehension could do with a little work, I think. Please show me where I suggested that the blame lies with the victim, or where I said that anywhere is safe. I commented on my own experience to try to add some balance to the usual US-centric guff that the USofA is the safest place in the world. It isn't.

Sadly, your comfort with the "arm the victims" mentality leads one to believe that you may live on a hill and be called Billy.

ranalli wrote:

MisterHairy wrote:

I do find all of this rather amusing. We, in Europe, are oft led to believe that the Americas (including the USA) are the lawless parts of the world where gun crimes abound and one cannot take one's personal safety for granted. Indeed, in my own experience as I have travelled around the world, the US, Mexico and Brazil are the only places where I have been physically threatened.

This has never once happened in any part of Europe, east or western, Asia or Russia. Not once.

The fact is that if you go anywhere where you might find a high wealth differential between tourists and locals then crime will be present. Keep your wits about, don't blunder about or wander off into quiet areas alone and most importantly, insure your kit. It's only a camera, not a limb so let it go and put your claim in when you get home.

As for the child and his "weapon", well, what to say? Words fail me actually. I have to assume that you are having a bit of a laugh here, but in case you are being serious, just how do you expect to be able to travel internationally with a concealed weapon? Are you planning on seeing the world by bus? Take that attitude anywhere with you and you'll quickly end up cold in the bottom of a ditch, minus your camera and minus your silly "weapon". It's precisely this misguided belief that carrying a concealed weapon offers any kind of protection that puts society's vulnerable, like yourself, at risk in the first place in these situations. Please stay put in your parents' basement.

This blame the victim mentally is quite sad really. It's true that you invite possibly more danger by carrying a weapon yourself but if that is what people would like to feel more secure then I don't see any problem with it.

In addition, your claims that Europe, and everywhere else in the world are safe...well that pretty much shows you've never been out of your bedroom yourself.

EVERY country has danger in it...doesn't matter whether it is the US, Europe or Asia...get some real traveling experience already.

The bottom line is that slinging insults to someone who rightfully wants to protect themselves is blaming the victim.

As for your anti-US tirade well I'll just leave that to your anti-US mentality.  It's pretty clear you had an agenda in your post and that was bashing the Americas.

MisterHairy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,460Gear list
In reply to ranalli, Jul 23, 2013

No. My agenda is quite simple. Well, I thought it was, but clearly, I need to spell it out for you. My agenda is to react to the ignorant notion, held by a minority of people, that everywhere outside of the US is a den of thieves and that somehow, the answer to that is to go out armed to the teeth.

However, I am not in any way saying that there is no crime outside of the US. Quite on the contrary. There are some highly motivated and organised gangs, managed by equally highly motivated, organised and well armed east European/Russian drug and prostitution rings. They are spreading through the EU like a plague and they need to be stopped. Sadly, they are well connected, so wiping them out is not a trivial task.

Waving a gun at these gangs is not going to do you any favours. It will get you dead or imprisoned. End of.

What we do not want, over here in Europe, is any more guns on the streets. Please leave your guns at home when crossing the Atlantic. If you have to shoot someone, please stick to your own side of the pond. Thank you.

MisterHairy's gear list:MisterHairy's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +14 more
linslus
Contributing MemberPosts: 690Gear list
Re: stich to usa or western europe
In reply to Lance B, Jul 23, 2013

Lance B wrote:

Wow, it won't be long before the moderators take this down. Not allowed to say whom is carrying out these crimes. That's a no no. Can't call a spade a spade!

Well I think most tourists are not used to how aggressive and unashamed these gangs, sometimes kid gangs, are. It's very unsettling when you experience them for the first time. Maybe someone who reads that article will be better prepared.

linslus's gear list:linslus's gear list
Sony SLT-A57
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 27,410Gear list
In reply to linslus, Jul 23, 2013

linslus wrote:

Lance B wrote:

Wow, it won't be long before the moderators take this down. Not allowed to say whom is carrying out these crimes. That's a no no. Can't call a spade a spade!

Well I think most tourists are not used to how aggressive and unashamed these gangs, sometimes kid gangs, are. It's very unsettling when you experience them for the first time. Maybe someone who reads that article will be better prepared.

That was my point.

Lance B
http://www.pbase.com/lance_b
http://i.pbase.com/o4/21/489821/1/53232844.SydneyPanoVertSmall.jpg

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR +11 more
thomo
Contributing MemberPosts: 964Gear list
Re: It's a shame...
In reply to Future user, Jul 24, 2013

Future user wrote:

It's a shame these sons of bitches are free on the streets and not in jail. Unfortunately this is the world we live in: either you protect yourself or you are in risk. And now I know what to do If I ever go to St. Petersburg: I'll keep a weapon inside my bag. If these or another bastards have the bad luck to find me, they'll have no time to say goodbye to their families...

I’ve read all the posts on this thread and I have to say I’m amazed at how stupid some people can be – but you’ve taken the cake!

I’m even more amazed that you think you can travel internationally and can carry a weapon (of any kind) let alone believe you’re entitled to use it.

What it is even more ludicrous is for you to think you’re entitled to use it to defend losing a stupid camera lens. OMG - what do you think insurance is for?

Thankfully you’re not representative of the US citizens that I’ve met in my travels over many years (many of whom are still friends and share similar values and ideals).

Please don't bother to reply - you need help.

thomo's gear list:thomo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Df +10 more
MisterHairy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,460Gear list
In reply to thomo, Jul 24, 2013

I have quoted thomo here for the truth that he speaks. Some folk truly are backwards. Makes one despair for some parts of the human race. They have stopped running.

thomo wrote:

Future user wrote:

It's a shame these sons of bitches are free on the streets and not in jail. Unfortunately this is the world we live in: either you protect yourself or you are in risk. And now I know what to do If I ever go to St. Petersburg: I'll keep a weapon inside my bag. If these or another bastards have the bad luck to find me, they'll have no time to say goodbye to their families...

I’ve read all the posts on this thread and I have to say I’m amazed at how stupid some people can be – but you’ve taken the cake!

I’m even more amazed that you think you can travel internationally and can carry a weapon (of any kind) let alone believe you’re entitled to use it.

What it is even more ludicrous is for you to think you’re entitled to use it to defend losing a stupid camera lens. OMG - what do you think insurance is for?

Thankfully you’re not representative of the US citizens that I’ve met in my travels over many years (many of whom are still friends and share similar values and ideals).

Please don't bother to reply - you need help.

MisterHairy's gear list:MisterHairy's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +14 more
Riki
Senior MemberPosts: 1,477Gear list
In reply to Bajerunner, Jul 28, 2013

I doubt that Nikon Service would maintain a worldwide database of serial numbers and that too of stolen equipment, I may be wrong though. And even if they do I doubt they would inform the police or get involved if they discover that the lens demanding service is of illegal origins.  In any case a stolen equipment is hardly a deterrent in some parts of the world where all they are looking for is price. They hardly care where the item came from and anything sells now on the internet. Cars are stolen, duplicate computerised keys are made, duplicate registration papers are made and then these cars are sold and driven all over until they are involved in some accident. Sadly there are people who dont care if the lens is stolen or not.

Riki's gear list:Riki's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120
atamola
Regular MemberPosts: 189
In reply to Gabriele Sartori, Jul 28, 2013

atamola wrote:

I walked around in prague with very expensive equipment.

With sensible precautions (less than what you need in NY, for instance) I was fine.

I avoided the obvious stupid mistakes.

I felt much more unsafe in Madrid than in Prague.

The safest in Vienna.

Same here about Gdansk and Krakow where I go very frequently. Absolute sense of safety, I go around with my D800E, not a bit of a problem. In Argentina last December even though I had the camera in the backpack and I put the backpack in the front , I got 3 attempts to rob me, fortunately I was able to defeat them all 3 times.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Gabriele
California, CA

I'm Argentine myself and when I go back to my country can barely walk around with my cameras. This wasn't like this years ago but it is now.

unknown member
(unknown member)
In reply to Riki, Jul 28, 2013

Riki wrote:

I doubt that Nikon Service would maintain a worldwide database of serial numbers and that too of stolen equipment, I may be wrong though. And even if they do I doubt they would inform the police or get involved if they discover that the lens demanding service is of illegal origins. In any case a stolen equipment is hardly a deterrent in some parts of the world where all they are looking for is price. They hardly care where the item came from and anything sells now on the internet. Cars are stolen, duplicate computerised keys are made, duplicate registration papers are made and then these cars are sold and driven all over until they are involved in some accident. Sadly there are people who dont care if the lens is stolen or not.

Maybe...but remember Nikon can tell if your lens is US or Gray market......by the serial number.....so it seems they can track whatever they like.

But your points are taken.

-- hide signature --

Amateur photographer. Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Ozonation
Contributing MemberPosts: 507
In reply to Bajerunner, Jul 28, 2013

I scanned through this thread quickly, but did anybody mention PacSafe (or similar) products? They offer "slashproof" straps, backpacks, etc. which have far more security features than the regular bags and straps. I have several of their bags. Heck, even a well built Think Tank product would stand a better chance. I always lock up the zippers.

The tourist in the video is carry a pretty large lens: if I'm just traveling for pleasure, I just take a smaller camera these days: mirrorless cameras are a great invention - smaller, more portable, lighter. And my spouse appreciates that I'm not lugging my monster gear around wherever I go, and actually trying enjoy the holiday.

When traveling in heavily trafficked places (subway, etc.) I usually push the camera down the front of my jacket: it looks a bit stupid, but who cares? I also never use the camera strap that comes with the kit: Nikon (or Canon or Sony, etc.) emblazoned in 200 pt font along the strap - gee, I wonder what I'm carrying around my neck?

But seriously, vigilence and discretion are the most important things you can employ- you can't be paranoid, but no one strategy or product is theft proof. After visiting Europe, Central America, and many places in the US, the only time I had something stolen was in Montreal: in my own country, and a place I had visited many, many times. I figured nothing could happen, and kept my wallet in a pouch that wasn't open or easily accessible, but nonetheless not the most secure. I was in Paris in February and I'm sure I almost got pickpocketed. I turned and coincidentally, there was a man tying his shoe lace right beside me. Sure... right... but I never even heard him come up beside me.

Stay safe!

eques
Senior MemberPosts: 1,859Gear list
In reply to Future user, Jul 29, 2013

Future user wrote:

...and you will end your life in a russian prison.

Better let go you camera, you will easily buy a new (and better) one.

Peter

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
eques
Senior MemberPosts: 1,859Gear list
Re:Re: Come off it.....
In reply to Nikon2011, Jul 29, 2013

Nikon2011 wrote:

Future user wrote:

JP Scherrer wrote:

BTW, you didn't answer my question: how old are you ? If you're under 20, I can sort of understand your way of thinking, but if you're older than that, I'm afraid you have a problem: GET A REAL LIFE !

I'm 30 and have a real life already, which I don't want to lose thanks to all these bastards. I want to control all the situations whenever possible. If Al Qaeda put a bomb where I travel, that's uncontrollable. However, I can have a self-defense if some thieves attack me. Fortunately, I must say again, I haven't had to use my relatively small but effective weapon, but it's there, just in case

how about spending half (or all) the rest of your life in a russian (or whatever) prison full of x.xxx criminals (of all kind, not only camera stealers) and without any more weapons (in prison perhaps)

you might be going from bad to a lot worse

He won't ever get in this situation. Even if he manages to enter a plane armed, he will end up in prison at the moment of entering any country in possession of fire arms.

AFAIK even in the US foreign tourists with fire arms are not well received, and in most states shooting a thieve is an offence.

Peter.

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
g_r_w
Regular MemberPosts: 385
Re:Re: Come off it.....
In reply to eques, Jul 29, 2013

eques wrote:

AFAIK even in the US foreign tourists with fire arms are not well received, and in most states shooting a thieve is an offence.

Peter.

Texas being one such state where it is legal to use deadly force against robbery.

http://law.onecle.com/texas/penal/9.42.00.html

Also, topical is the "Stand-your-ground" defense i.e. you are not required to retreat before using deadly force to defend yourself.  This is obviously very different from chasing someone down and then using deadly force to get your stuff back.  It would be about defending yourself, not your belongings.

g_r_w
Regular MemberPosts: 385
In reply to bhill643, Jul 29, 2013

bhill643 wrote:

stick to usa or western europe I avoid all 3td world countries,

It's true - when you have nothing you have nothing to loose.

Or Japan and Korea.

I would say safer than either USA or Western Europe.

JP Scherrer
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,365Gear list
I believe the best solution for this guy.....
In reply to eques, Jul 29, 2013

eques wrote:

Future user wrote:

...and you will end your life in a russian prison.

Better let go you camera, you will easily buy a new (and better) one.

Peter

...and a few others "would be John Wayne" is to let them do what they say they would do !

After they find themselves in prison -or dead-, we would be freed from reading their BS on this forum !

J-P.

Photo Galeries at http://www.pbase.com/scherrer
Spherical Panoramas (360x180 degrees) at http://www.viewat.org/?sec=pn&id_aut=2489
Equipment list in profile

JP Scherrer's gear list:JP Scherrer's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR +8 more
Yorkshireman
Regular MemberPosts: 140
In reply to Riki, Jul 29, 2013

My thanks to the moderators for following up my complaint and cleaning up this thread of OT remarks and political debates.

Richard

Josh SZ
Forum MemberPosts: 68Gear list
In reply to g_r_w, Jul 29, 2013

g_r_w wrote:

bhill643 wrote:

stick to usa or western europe I avoid all 3td world countries,

It's true - when you have nothing you have nothing to loose.

Or Japan and Korea.

I would say safer than either USA or Western Europe.

I have gotten theft incidents four times personally in my life. But you know what, once in France and three times in Italy. My point is it could happen anywhere. Just need precautions in mind.

Josh SZ's gear list:Josh SZ's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 11,208Gear list
Thread about to be locked
In reply to Riki, Jul 30, 2013

The bottom line is that there are thieves out there - wherever we go - who are intend to steal our gear. They are very effective. After all it's a full-time (or at least repeated) activity for them. So watch out for your gear.

The thread is going O/T and is going to be locked.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as moderator

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads