Firefox 21 slow startup,

Started Jul 15, 2013 | Questions
CAcreeks
Senior MemberPosts: 6,300
Like?
Firefox 21 slow startup,
Jul 15, 2013

Was Firefox 21 extraordinarily slow to start up? Sometimes it seemed to take minutes, although I never timed it.

All my computers and virtual machines are converted to FF 22 now, which seems to start up faster. Twelve seconds today.

Mozilla knows it is an issue and has this support article:
Firefox takes a long time to start up

AdBlockPlus supposedly adds 21% to startup time, but that seems like a small penalty to pay considering its functionality. Are there any similar plugins that do the same thing, faster? Searching shows Adblock Edge, Simple Adblock, Adblock Lite, etc.

Perhaps I will dump some of my other add-ons.

ANSWER:
CAcreeks
Like?
Chrome slowest starting
In reply to CAcreeks, Jul 15, 2013

According to the recent Tom's Hardware benchmarks, Chrome hot startup is 3.2x slower than Firefox. IE10 is a bit faster than FF.

Chrome 27, FF 22, IE10, Opera startup time

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hotdog321
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,509
Like?
Re: Firefox 21 slow startup,

I never had an issue with Firefox 21 and I've got a ton of add-ons and plugins. I'm on Firefox 22 now. I've never noticed a slow startup--typically it fully loads in 1-2 seconds.

AnthonyL
Senior MemberPosts: 1,661Gear list
Like?
Re: Firefox 21 slow startup,

CAcreeks wrote:

Was Firefox 21 extraordinarily slow to start up? Sometimes it seemed to take minutes, although I never timed it.

All my computers and virtual machines are converted to FF 22 now, which seems to start up faster. Twelve seconds today.

Mozilla knows it is an issue and has this support article:
Firefox takes a long time to start up

AdBlockPlus supposedly adds 21% to startup time, but that seems like a small penalty to pay considering its functionality. Are there any similar plugins that do the same thing, faster? Searching shows Adblock Edge, Simple Adblock, Adblock Lite, etc.

Perhaps I will dump some of my other add-ons.

I use NoScript rather than AdBlock but it requires a bit more intervention.  You can temporarily disable add-ons and see what happens, or load in Safe Mode, or load with a new fresh profile to help you test.  Can't say I noticed any major difference between 21 and 22.

AnthonyL's gear list:AnthonyL's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +1 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
CAcreeks
Like?
Re: Firefox 22 startup, NoScript?
In reply to AnthonyL, Jul 15, 2013

AnthonyL wrote:

I use NoScript rather than AdBlock but it requires a bit more intervention.

Do you just white-list the websites where you want JavaScript to run from? That does not seem like too much trouble.

I wonder if some of the AdBlock+ lists are slower than others, for instance is FanBoy's list faster than EasyList?

AnthonyL
Like?
Re: Firefox 22 startup, NoScript?
In reply to CAcreeks, Jul 17, 2013

CAcreeks wrote:

AnthonyL wrote:

I use NoScript rather than AdBlock but it requires a bit more intervention.

Do you just white-list the websites where you want JavaScript to run from? That does not seem like too much trouble.

Sites are blocked by default and then if something doesn't work and if I think I trust the site I allow it. The problem is not the main site eg dpreview.com, but the whole lot of sub-sites that web designers seem to need, so for instance, on this site:

amazon-adsystem.com (currently not permitted)

google-analytics.com (currently not permitted)

cloudfront.net (currently not permitted)

This is a relatively small list and it takes some research to make an informed decision as to whether or not to allow a site. NoScript does allow a quick access for checking eg:

It can get worse, so allowing one of the sub-sites might then have another load of sites hanging of it. I might then get bored and give up, or temporarily allow all and hope my other security defences will catch any nasties.

I wonder if some of the AdBlock+ lists are slower than others, for instance is FanBoy's list faster than EasyList?

Sorry, very little experience. I do however have quite an aggressive HOSTS file. Google:

block sites hosts file

for suggestions.

Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +1 more
CAcreeks
Like?
Excellent advice about NoScript!
In reply to AnthonyL, Jul 17, 2013

AnthonyL wrote:

Sites are blocked by default and then if something doesn't work and if I think I trust the site I allow it...

NoScript does allow a quick access for checking eg:

Thanks for this information! I had never visited WOT (web of trust), a great resource.

Recently I tried disabling Javascript before visiting Yahoo Mail, and was kicked back to an older version that runs much faster.

So the web without Javascript still kind of works in some cases.

AnthonyL
Like?
Re: Excellent advice about NoScript!
In reply to CAcreeks, Jul 17, 2013

CAcreeks wrote:

So the web without Javascript still kind of works in some cases.

And often works better - even on reputable sites as you found out.

Glad to have been of help.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads