In camera panorama?

Started Jul 15, 2013 | Questions
crypie
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
In camera panorama?
Jul 15, 2013

I'm evaluating options to make the m43 jump. I have an older Canon Rebel DSLR but would like to move to the m43 for the size savings. Since this is such a competitive segment, I'm looking at features which could meaningfully differentiate products for me. One of the things I think I want is in-camera panorama mode.

When travelling, I've actually been able to get some really nice results from the iPhone panorama mode. I figured that if I used a newer m43 I would be able to get even better panoramas. However, it doesn't seems like this is a differentiating factor many people discuss. Is this because most people stitch the images together afterwards? In my mind, that's sort of like shooting in RAW. For the hardcore shooters it makes sense but lots of folks do just fine with in camera JPEGs. I'd rather just pan and shoot and get a usable shot instead of messing around with software.

Here's my question, how often do you use the in camera panorama feature? Is it a feature you would use to help determine which camera to choose. I believe Sony, and Panasonic are the main players with this feature and Oly does not. It seems like a big gap for Oly but I could be wrong.

Thanks

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Acrill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,314Gear list
Like?
Re: In camera panorama?
In reply to crypie, Jul 15, 2013

I have used the Fuji version and it generates noticeable stitching errors.

It is a good feature if you are travelling, for instance, and want to post panoramic pics like the Arc de Triomphe from underneath without the hassle post-processing.

For other purposes you can get better panoramic results by stitching during the post-process stage.

Maybe the Sony and Panasonic versions are less error-prone, don't know.

Acrill's gear list:Acrill's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Impulses
Contributing MemberPosts: 848Gear list
Like?

I've used Sony's version with my HX P&S and it produces pretty good results... Changing lighting conditions (e.g. dark on one side, bright on the other) can be a challenge, as can moving subjects (duh) but I rather like having it. Looking forward to trying out Panasonic's version on my LF1 (arriving tomorrow).

For me it's nice to have, even if stitching them later can produce better results (significantly better in some cases, depending on how many shots you take, whether you break out the tripod, etc)... Whether you put it ahead of other things is more of a personal choice.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +20 more
hindesite
Senior MemberPosts: 1,244
Like?

I've used it a couple of times, and it is good enough - if you are careful - that there are not any obvious stitching errors. I can see that I would use it from time to time, but my preferred method is to use MS-ICE. In-camera pano is limited to 1 row, and also limited to span - whereas I can stitch 100s of images in multiple rows using software. In general I find that panos show what is there, rather than what I see, so I don't use them very often.

I wouldn't consider this factor alone enough to inform a decision, but look at the other things you get. In camera HDR works OK, but you have to be careful - again, like panorama it is something I'll use occasionally but will more often use software.

Some of the in camera filters and effects are neat, if you are in to that kind of thing. Viewfinder is great - as is the touchscreen display. WiFi is not good - very early days for this and is very clunky to set up and not reliable - but I think since the hardware is there, firmware updates can improve it remarkably. Here's hoping.

It is a remarkably nice camera to use, and I much prefer it to other m4/3 cameras with built in viewfinders from other manufacturers. Costs less, too.

-- hide signature --
LincolnB
Senior MemberPosts: 3,664Gear list
Like?

crypie wrote:

I'm evaluating options to make the m43 jump. I have an older Canon Rebel DSLR but would like to move to the m43 for the size savings. Since this is such a competitive segment, I'm looking at features which could meaningfully differentiate products for me. One of the things I think I want is in-camera panorama mode.

When travelling, I've actually been able to get some really nice results from the iPhone panorama mode. I figured that if I used a newer m43 I would be able to get even better panoramas. However, it doesn't seems like this is a differentiating factor many people discuss. Is this because most people stitch the images together afterwards?

Yep.

In my mind, that's sort of like shooting in RAW.

Yep.

For the hardcore shooters it makes sense but lots of folks do just fine with in camera JPEGs. I'd rather just pan and shoot and get a usable shot instead of messing around with software.

Here's my question, how often do you use the in camera panorama feature?

Never.

Is it a feature you would use to help determine which camera to choose.

No, even though I do a lot of stitched images.

LincolnB's gear list:LincolnB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
crypie
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?

Thanks for all the answers. MS ICE seems to be the preferred stitching option. Does anyone use Linux and have experience with any of those options?

hindesite
Senior MemberPosts: 1,244
Like?

crypie wrote:

Thanks for all the answers. MS ICE seems to be the preferred stitching option. Does anyone use Linux and have experience with any of those options?

I've used Hugin on Linux, but would even go to the trouble of running a Windows VM to run MS-ICE, it is really good.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads