Black Widow

Started Jul 14, 2013 | Discussions
ormdig
Contributing MemberPosts: 662Gear list
Like?
Black Widow
Jul 14, 2013

Was watching a wasp drag a wolf spider through my shop door when the wasp brushed a web under the workbench and this girl came running down. Shooting shiny black and getting detail is tricky for me. used an SB-700 remote. The hairs are almost blown which makes them look like artifacts but it's just hairs. Handheld.

-- hide signature --

Pete

ormdig's gear list:ormdig's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
Marvin Doering
Senior MemberPosts: 1,576Gear list
Like?
Re: Black Widow
In reply to ormdig, Jul 14, 2013

Nice photos.  I wouldn't have shot it with less than a 12 gauge.

-- hide signature --

MRD

Marvin Doering's gear list:Marvin Doering's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ormdig
Contributing MemberPosts: 662Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marvin Doering, Jul 15, 2013

Thanks, I have no idea how I posted these in the lens forum, I meant them to be in the macro forum. Since I did make that mistake, it is a nikkor 105 f/2.8 vrll lens which I find to be a very versatile lens that doesn't disappoint. I am not often in ideal shooting situations and have to shoot slow and handheld but it comess through. Great lens.

-- hide signature --

Pete

ormdig's gear list:ormdig's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,916Gear list
Like?
In reply to ormdig, Jul 15, 2013

ormdig wrote:

Thanks, I have no idea how I posted these in the lens forum, I meant them to be in the macro forum. Since I did make that mistake, it is a nikkor 105 f/2.8 vrll lens which I find to be a very versatile lens that doesn't disappoint. I am not often in ideal shooting situations and have to shoot slow and handheld but it comess through. Great lens.

-- hide signature --

Pete

Yes, but it's fine here as you are showing us what this lens can do.

Nice, sharp captures!

Paul T. Klein
Contributing MemberPosts: 552
Like?
In reply to stevo23, Jul 17, 2013

what about the wasp?

Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
In reply to Paul T. Klein, Jul 17, 2013

Paul T. Klein wrote:

what about the wasp?

Black widows are notorious spiders identified by the colored, hourglass-shaped mark on their abdomens. Several species answer to the name, and they are found in temperate regions around the world.

This spider's bite is much feared because its venom is reported to be 15 times stronger than a rattlesnake's. In humans, bites produce muscle aches, nausea, and a paralysis of the diaphragm that can make breathing difficult; however, contrary to popular belief, most people who are bitten suffer no serious damage—let alone death. But bites can be fatal—usually to small children, the elderly, or the infirm. Fortunately, fatalities are fairly rare; the spiders are nonaggressive and bite only in self-defense, such as when someone accidentally sits on them.

The animals most at risk from the black widow's bite are insects—and male black widow spiders. Females sometimes kill and eat their counterparts after mating in a macabre behavior that gave the insect its name. Black widows are solitary year-round except during this violent mating ritual.

These spiders spin large webs in which females suspend a cocoon with hundreds of eggs. Spiderlings disperse soon after they leave their eggs, but the web remains. Black widow spiders also use their webs to ensnare their prey, which consists of flies, mosquitoes, grasshoppers, beetles, and caterpillars. Black widows are comb-footed spiders, which means they have bristles on their hind legs that they use to cover their prey with silk once it has been trapped.

what about the wasp?

To feed, black widows puncture their insect prey with their fangs and administer digestive enzymes to the corpses. By using these enzymes, and their gnashing fangs, the spiders liquefy their prey's bodies and suck up the resulting fluid. http://animals.nationalgeographic.co.uk/animals/bugs/black-widow-spider

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads