4 months experience, I think I'm hot. Take me down a peg! (C&C.)

Started Jul 14, 2013 | Discussions
Blackbane
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
4 months experience, I think I'm hot. Take me down a peg! (C&C.)
Jul 14, 2013

So 4 months ago, I touched a DSLR.
Now I am seriously considering doing this as a business. Most of the "pros" around here would do better to instagram their shots.

I've gotten a few people buying my photos, but it feels weird calling myself a photographer, and actually thinking of charging money for what I do for fun. I love the results I get, but I would really appreciate some feedback. Most people are being overcharged for poor quality photos where I'm at, so if you guys help me tighten up my game, you will be helping people get better value for their money!

*EDIT* duhh here is the Flikr Account.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98866553@N03/

Thanks everyone, and don't pull any punches! Solid ways to improve what I'm doing, what I should be focusing/watching for, editing mistakes.... Lets nip any poor form in the butt now before it's a bad habit later!

My only hope is that I am doing better than instagram and a smart phone!
----------------------
All photos done in Lightroom 3, no Photoshop. 
I spend about 2-3 hours a day watching videos, reading articles, and I get out at least once a week for a few hours to play around.

Blackbane
Like?
Re: 4 months experience, I think I'm hot. Take me down a peg! (C&C.)
In reply to Blackbane, Jul 14, 2013

I would like to clarify, that I mean by "pros around here" 
I meant my small town, and not here.... Can't seem to edit the post again.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
vadimraskin
Senior MemberPosts: 3,560Gear list
Like?
In reply to Blackbane, Jul 15, 2013

Blackbane wrote:

So 4 months ago, I touched a DSLR.
Now I am seriously considering doing this as a business. Most of the "pros" around here would do better to instagram their shots.

I've gotten a few people buying my photos, but it feels weird calling myself a photographer, and actually thinking of charging money for what I do for fun. I love the results I get, but I would really appreciate some feedback. Most people are being overcharged for poor quality photos where I'm at, so if you guys help me tighten up my game, you will be helping people get better value for their money!

*EDIT* duhh here is the Flikr Account.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98866553@N03/

Thanks everyone, and don't pull any punches! Solid ways to improve what I'm doing, what I should be focusing/watching for, editing mistakes.... Lets nip any poor form in the butt now before it's a bad habit later!

My only hope is that I am doing better than instagram and a smart phone!
----------------------
All photos done in Lightroom 3, no Photoshop. 
I spend about 2-3 hours a day watching videos, reading articles, and I get out at least once a week for a few hours to play around.

Mike

I like what you've posted. I am not a "pro" by any means but I do believe that you have a talent so keep shooting and if people are willing to pay for your pictures ity means they like them, so what else do nyou need to know. Many "pros" are veru conservative and will probably find many mistakes in your photos but the person with a valet is a best judge!

I could only suggest adding some variety to your gallery with images of people and something light and "airy" to bring up the mood.

Good job!

vadimraskin's gear list:vadimraskin's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +3 more
David Nall
Forum ProPosts: 13,381Gear list
Like?

This is the only one that has merit IMHO.  I like it best with a crop, straightening, and in BW.   Keep shooting and enjoy your new hobby.  Don't quit your day job just yet. 

-- hide signature --

Visit my gallery at http://davesphotography9173.zenfolio.com/
View of Yosemite Valley, Bridalveil fall 4 frame vertical pano taken from the tunnel parking lot.
http://davesphotography9173.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v58/p1109307522-2.jpg

David Nall's gear list:David Nall's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +10 more
jbf
jbf
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,116
Like?

Excellent work, particularly for only having been at it for 4 months.  There's a lot that I like about your photos.  On the top of the list is the way you use light in your photos.  I also like the variety of perspectives.  You have some skill at different styles of retouching as well.

One criticism I have is that many of the photos are tilted and/or distorted.  In a few of the photos, the subject is off center and there's nothing to balance it on the other side of the frame.  These things make the viewer feel out of balance.  Sometimes that works with a subject, but I think it's something you might want to pay more attention to.

Congrats on selling some of your photos,

jbf

JamesRL
Senior MemberPosts: 2,339Gear list
Like?

Ok, I will bite.

Who is going to buy your art?

Most pros make a living doing portraiture, seniors photos, engagement photos, wedding photos. You haven't shown a picture in that page that would indicate you have the chops for that, and trust me, it is harder than it looks.

You do have some chops in environmental shots, but people tend not to spend big bucks on environmental stuff. The exception is touristy towns.

For every Ansel Adams, there are tens of thousands of wannabes. I know, I am one. I have had some works in a gallery, none of them sold. My uncle, who is a genius with photoshop and does artistic work with photos as a starting point is also going to a gallery, but I don't expect either of us will be rich any time soon.

JamesRL's gear list:JamesRL's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +6 more
Vidau
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,284Gear list
Like?

Don't quit.........Your best weapon is your enthusiasm and dedication to the study of photography.

Vidau's gear list:Vidau's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Nikon D800 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 +14 more
Blackbane
Like?
In reply to vadimraskin, Jul 17, 2013

vadimraskin wrote:

I could only suggest adding some variety to your gallery with images of people and something light and "airy" to bring up the mood.

Good job!

That's solid advice. I'm working on getting some people who need "pro" photos done, and basically do an exchange. Do a photoshoot, get experiance, and ask that they plug my photos (if they turn out good)

Thank you.

Blackbane
Like?
In reply to David Nall, Jul 17, 2013

That's my favourite too! The rest I like, but well, they are rather... anyone can take them kind of pictures. (although some of them have a lot stronger local significance)
I am curious why you chose to crop it. My first thought is to emphasize the open space that the wrestler is jumping into. Like a bird taking flight! 
I would love to hear your reply, because I like to know the WHY and not just WHAT.
Nope, not quitting my day job yet. It will remain on the side until I can be confident that I am delivering consistant levels of pictures.

Blackbane
Like?
In reply to jbf, Jul 17, 2013

jbf wrote:

One criticism I have is that many of the photos are tilted and/or distorted. In a few of the

I don't have camera profiles yet, so I can't correct them.
I am getting Creative Cloud this month... 
off center I know the HDR colour one is. .. can you point out one or two which are bad offenders? I really don't see it very well, because I don't think of looking for it.

Blackbane
Like?
In reply to JamesRL, Jul 17, 2013

That's a great point, and gives me great direction! Thank you!
I am  hoping with these photos I will be able to convince some people to sit down with me for a photo shoot. 
What I Want to do:
- focus on local photography. I don't have aspirations (yet) of doing higher end commercial, but I would love to be the goto guy for photographing businesses/products/faces for local businesses. 
I also want to use it as a "value added" or upsell when I do websites/graphic design work.
That should be my next goal it seems. I have in my head how to light portraits, how to work with a model, and practice touching up photos/people that I find.... but well.. no actual start to finish experience. It's hard to give free stuff away in this town!

Blackbane
Like?

Currently I am just enjoying my experiance, learning as much as I can. These are not so much portfolio pieces as a showcase of my ability to take a picture.... concept of colour etc....
hopefully in 4 months I will have an answer to your challenge and you will be able to give your discerning eye to that.

Blackbane
Like?
In reply to Vidau, Jul 17, 2013

Vidau wrote:

Don't quit.........Your best weapon is your enthusiasm and dedication to the study of photography.

Thanks! I used to make fun of photographers too... "just click a button. what's the big deal?"
Well, study is great. But if you study or practice the wrong thing for too long... you will get really good at doing it wrong.
Feels good to make the first reach out for CC... I will continue taking more photos and hopefully keep finding different places to accept some pointers. 
Appreciate the feedback everyone!

Blackbane
Like?

JamesRL wrote:

Ok, I will bite.

Who is going to buy your art?

You do have some chops in environmental shots, but people tend not to spend big bucks on environmental stuff. The exception is touristy towns.

Environmental shots, is going to be my first collection... as people around here really like their town, and it would be a nice safe start.

Blackbane
Like?
In reply to David Nall, Jul 18, 2013

I took a day or two and re-examined this shot. I Think I get what you're going for.
Keep it tighter on the subject, it also takes out some of the distractions on the right. 
- I might even be inclined to photoshop out the lady with the camera, because she also benefits some attention from the crop. I did a quick job on it before for fun/practice, but with this crop, I think it might actually be worth it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads