the D4x is coming.

Started Jul 14, 2013 | Discussions
Geomaticsman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,464Gear list
Like?
Re: It would even tempt me Gary...
In reply to JimPearce, Jul 17, 2013

JimPearce wrote:

But given a choice I'd still go with the D400 at 500mm, especially if it's 8 fps.

Indeed Jim, the D400 would have the resolution advantage (presumably 24MP VS 15MP), but maybe not the ISO performance. Personally, I just like the flexibility of shooting FF.

Nuts, I guess I'll just have to buy one of each!

-- hide signature --

Gary -- Some Nikon stuff -- and a preference for wildlife in natural light
www.pbase.com/garyirwin

Geomaticsman's gear list:Geomaticsman's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Josh152
Senior MemberPosts: 1,083
Like?
Re: the D4x is coming.
In reply to Steve Bingham, Jul 17, 2013

Steve Bingham wrote:

I am not sure it will be named D4x. I believe the rest to be highly probable. Maybe (s), maybe anything. I do think the higher ISO, increased mp (the D4 needs more) faster fps, low noise, and pro body (along with improved video) will be the attraction.

Josh152 wrote:

Jane79 wrote:

Steve Bingham wrote:

We shall see. I have been wrong before - but right more often. I really think the D4x would have sports shooters as primary customers. Sometimes dim lighting - sometimes really rough conditions (think about a football photographer being blown over by a 250 pound running back). I think a higher fps and higher ISO, combined with a really tough camera will go a long ways. But that's just an opinion (I worked my way through college as a sports photographer and got knocked on my a$$ many times.)

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

The x has always been the slower, higher resolution camera. If Nikon releases a replacement for the D4, they will not name it D4x.

D1H (2.7MP/5fps) - D1x (5.3MP/3fps)
D2H(s) (4.1MP/8fps) - D2x(s) (12.2MP/5fps)
D3(s) (12MP/9fps) - D3x (24.5MP/5fps)
D4 (16.4MP/10-11fps) - D4x (???)

The new generation x has always at least doubled its predecessor's resolution. ~50MP is what would be expected, 74MP would be a surprise, but who knows, 36MP was unexpected too.

Exactly!

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Again like you say you are talking about a completely different camera than what a D4X would be and it would have nothing to do with the D4X existing or not. What you describe would be a D4H or maybe D4S and probably be meant to replace the D4.  I would not be surprised to see a camera like that come out from Nikon what ever it's called. I could see it having maybe a 20-24 megapixel sensor, perhaps the one from the D600, a new AF system to better compete with canon's, and 10-15 FPS if Nikon can pull off those speeds with that may megapixels.  Actually I was surprised the D4 was such a conservative update compared to the rest of Nikon's new line and it may indicate Nikon is having trouble getting 10+ fps with larger file sizes.

Daniel Clune
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,428Gear list
Like?
curious what would it offer over D800

Just kinda curious of what it would offer over a D800/D800E. Built in grip and a little better sealing? Then what? I highly doubt more pixels. Maybe faster frame rate? What else? Will it be 8 grand? Having a hard time thinking of what it would offer over D800. Now a D400 is whats needed . Had they put a decent size buffer on the D7100 then the D400 wouldn't be as needed as bad as it is now.

-- hide signature --
 Daniel Clune's gear list:Daniel Clune's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Epson Stylus Photo R1900
Mr Fartleberry
Contributing MemberPosts: 900
Like?
Re: curious what would it offer over D800
In reply to Daniel Clune, Jul 17, 2013

Good - been a while since you were able to give Nikon over ten grand for a camera body.

-- hide signature --

Sold the (old) half-frame from Thailand. Bought a 700 under my own personal stimulus
plan.

CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,211Gear list
Like?
In reply to Daniel Clune, Jul 17, 2013

Daniel Clune wrote:

Just kinda curious of what it would offer over a D800/D800E. Built in grip and a little better sealing? Then what? I highly doubt more pixels.

If the rumor is true, it would have a D4 body - and likely more megapixels. There have been rumors for quite some time about Sony having a full frame sensor with the same pixel density as their 24mp APS-C sensor (just as the D800 sensor has the same pixel density as the D7000 sensor). If this sensor is available then it would be a likely candidate to be used in a D4x

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
thomas2279f
Senior MemberPosts: 2,395Gear list
Like?

Still only a modest update (what'you d spec) over a D800e, just 2 fps increase.     Nikon should be bold and bring out improved AF and possibly be bold and add 4k video like Canon has with 1D C, this is one feature that is rumoured coming to Sony's next A mount cameras next year.

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 +44 more
ScottRH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,599
Like?
In reply to Steve Bingham, Jul 18, 2013

Steve Bingham wrote:

Information about the D4x should be leaked in the next week or two. Stay tuned. My guess is that you will be able to buy one this fall.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Hope no XQD slot.

jjnik
Senior MemberPosts: 1,263Gear list
Like?
In reply to ScottRH, Jul 18, 2013

ScottRH wrote:

Steve Bingham wrote:

Information about the D4x should be leaked in the next week or two. Stay tuned. My guess is that you will be able to buy one this fall.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Hope no XQD slot.

I hope there are dual XQD slots - imho,  it's the best card format out there but needs broader adoption to stick around!

jjnik's gear list:jjnik's gear list
Nikon D4s Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Josh152
Like?
In reply to jjnik, Jul 18, 2013

jjnik wrote:

ScottRH wrote:

Steve Bingham wrote:

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Hope no XQD slot.

I hope there are dual XQD slots - imho, it's the best card format out there but needs broader adoption to stick around!

and to get the prices down

f bass
Regular MemberPosts: 173
Like?
In reply to Steve Bingham, Jul 18, 2013

Steve Bingham wrote:

We shall see. I have been wrong before - but right more often. I really think the D4x would have sports shooters as primary customers. Sometimes dim lighting - sometimes really rough conditions (think about a football photographer being blown over by a 250 pound running back). I think a higher fps and higher ISO, combined with a really tough camera will go a long ways. But that's just an opinion (I worked my way through college as a sports photographer and got knocked on my a$$ many times.)

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Nikon has that already in the D4. All you have to look at is the way Nikon placed the D3 and D3X in their lineup. D3 for sports,action, event photography,D3X for product,portrait,and landscape photography. If there is going to be a D4X I think it will be the same difference,with a much higher pixel count for the D4X,and my guess higher than the D800 to justify the price difference. Jim

Josh152
Like?
In reply to f bass, Jul 18, 2013

f bass wrote:

Steve Bingham wrote:

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Nikon has that already in the D4. All you have to look at is the way Nikon placed the D3 and D3X in their lineup. D3 for sports,action, event photography,D3X for product,portrait,and landscape photography. If there is going to be a D4X I think it will be the same difference,with a much higher pixel count for the D4X,and my guess higher than the D800 to justify the price difference. Jim

Exactly what I was saying.    The only niche left for a D4X and the only one the single digit "X" cameras have ever tried to fill is the ultra high resolution, low fps, landscape/studio/fine art stuff.  My guess is the D4X will be around 48-54 megapixels, be between 3 and 5 fps, and have no low pass filter. Anything less simply would not compete well enough with the D800 or D800E to make people spend the 8-10 grand the D4X will probably cost instead of just getting a D800 or D800E.

Josh152
Like?
In reply to bgbs, Jul 18, 2013

bgbs wrote:

Not entirely convinced. Sports shooters already have a D4, and will get a D400 soon to complement them, why do they need a third one?

What Nikon will/should release is a trophy camera to wave around, meaning a D4x with 56mp. The trophy camera, will obviously not be the camera that will make the company rich, but it is meant to make ripples in the market. What Nikon really needs, is the real/legitimate D700 replacement that is long overdue.

I could see Nikon maybe coming out with a D800H that had the sensor from the D600 or even the D4, like 6-8 fps and maybe even a new AF system.   Though I'm not sure how that would work out if there is also a D300S successor that would probably also have about the same megapixels and shoot  around the same fps as well as have similar features.  It may divide the sales between them too much to make both cameras profitable.  I think it would more likely be one or the other not both.

kelvin2345
Regular MemberPosts: 105
Like?
In reply to Steve Bingham, Jul 24, 2013

Steve Bingham wrote:

We shall see. I have been wrong before - but right more often.

Still no news of the D4x...

CFynn
Like?
In reply to Daniel Clune, Jul 24, 2013

Daniel Clune wrote:

I highly doubt more pixels.

There are rumors that Canon is currently testing a high resolution 75MP Canon pro body DSLR camera that will be announced later this year. If these rumours are true, it seems likely  a D4x would have at least 50mp

Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,178Gear list
Like?
In reply to kelvin2345, Jul 24, 2013

Of course. Patience grasshopper. But it will be here this fall.

kelvin2345 wrote:

Steve Bingham wrote:

We shall see. I have been wrong before - but right more often.

Still no news of the D4x...

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +19 more
maroubas
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
In reply to kelvin2345, Jul 24, 2013

Canon rumos says somethink about 75mp.......:-|

Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,178Gear list
Like?
In reply to CFynn, Jul 24, 2013

Mp isn't everything. Dynamic range, fps, and less noise at high ISO are extremely important to serious PJ and sports shooters. This will NOT be an mp race.

CFynn wrote:

Daniel Clune wrote:

There are rumors that Canon is currently testing a high resolution 75MP Canon pro body DSLR camera that will be announced later this year. If these rumours are true, it seems likely that the D4x would have at least 50mp

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +19 more
CFynn
Like?

Steve Bingham wrote:

Mp isn't everything. Dynamic range, fps, and less noise at high ISO are extremely important to serious PJ and sports shooters. This will NOT be an mp race.

But PJs and sports shooters already have the regular D4 - unless Nikon plan a D4 h / s - if it is an x  wouldn't you expect more mp?

CFynn wrote:

Daniel Clune wrote:

There are rumors that Canon is currently testing a high resolution 75MP Canon pro body DSLR camera that will be announced later this year. If these rumours are true, it seems likely that the D4x would have at least 50mp

Josh152
Like?

Steve Bingham wrote:

CFynn wrote:

Daniel Clune wrote:

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

LOL serious PJ and sports shooters already have the D4 and 1DX that does all that.  Nikon and Canon are not going to make another model that does the same thing to sell along side it.  Further as has already been pointed out to you Nikon has always made the single digit X cameras for the high res shooters not the sports guys.   There is no way the D4X is going to be anything other than the full, integrated grip, pro bodied High megapixel studio/landscape camera if it exists.  That is the only spot in the line up that still hasn't been replaced with a new model.  The D4X will be the replacement for the D3X not the D4 or D3S as that would make absolutely no sense what so ever.

Waterengineer
Contributing MemberPosts: 844
Like?
Re: Well Mr. B.....
In reply to BillD7000, Jul 24, 2013

BillD7000 wrote:

Might be some news of a D400 at the same time.

Much as I love the D7100, I think there's room for a D400 (same as D7100, perhaps with built-in grip and higher buffer) priced at $1800.

There will never again be a built in grip on a DX format camera.  Get over it.

Yes, the world needs a D400, and has for a long time.  I expect will will find out someday the D400 was hung up doe to flooding and an earthquake.

Now back to the OP.  I would like there to be a D4x, if for no other reason than to put downward price on the D3x.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads