Canon SX60 suggestions

Started Jul 13, 2013 | Discussions
MarioV
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,119Gear list
Like?
Canon SX60 suggestions
Jul 13, 2013

Seeing as how Kodak has released their PixPro AZ521

(Preview here http://www.ephotozine.com/article/kodak-pixpro-az521-hands-on-preview-22359 )

If Canon cannot provide a useful EVF, then I'd rather they didn't include one just like Kodak's.

Kodak doesn't have RAW. It has a 52x 24-1348mm lens with f/2.9 - f/5.6 which is very nice compared to f/3.4 - f/6.5 for the SX50.

Hopefully, the SX60 will have similar or better lens specs along with digic 6 and 1080p/60 video.

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D5200 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
JeremyB2
Regular MemberPosts: 114Gear list
Like?
Please no .....
In reply to MarioV, Jul 13, 2013

.... Not an SX60 without an EVF. Limited though the EVF on the SX50 may be, I'd rather have ANY EVF than none. It would be a dealbreaker for me.

Interesting that Kodak has managed to produce a 52x lens which is faster than the one on the SX50. Gives me hope that maybe the SX60 can be improved in this area. Of course, if they could also improve the viewfinder that would be a real bonus

Jeremy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Britney Elvis
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,748
Like?
I hope you are very wrong

MarioV wrote:

(Preview here http://www.ephotozine.com/article/kodak-pixpro-az521-hands-on-preview-22359 )

If Canon cannot provide a useful EVF, then I'd rather they didn't include one just like Kodak's.

Kodak doesn't have RAW. It has a 52x 24-1348mm lens with f/2.9 - f/5.6 which is very nice compared to f/3.4 - f/6.5 for the SX50.

Hopefully, the SX60 will have similar or better lens specs along with digic 6 and 1080p/60 video.

That is really not a good idea...

I have two cameras now with LCD only. In any sunlight it sucks. And outdoors in sunlight is where many of us use the SX 50... it is a hiking / birdy / flowery kind of camera.

No matter how bad many feel the EVF is. In sunlight where the LCD becomes almost unusable... It is usable for focus (flexizone focus especially). It also works for Composing the shot. In M/A/TV/P modes I can see all my settings to adjust..
And more importantly, having the camera against your face on max zoom shots really helps with the stabilization.

Even if they do not improve it, they had better not loose it or the camera becomes much less useful.  More Toy-like

-- hide signature --

"It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them."
~~ Pierre Beaumarchais~~

MurryG
Senior MemberPosts: 2,748Gear list
Like?
A bad EVF is better than none at all!!
In reply to Britney Elvis, Jul 13, 2013

+1

Murry

-- hide signature --
 MurryG's gear list:MurryG's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
saycheese
Regular MemberPosts: 438Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon SX60 suggestions

A micro 4/3 type sensor with less noise.

I would like to be able to power the camera from the mains without using a dummy battery, all my previous cameras managed a jack plug for power. I would be quite happy with powering off the USB too to be honest.

GPS, I know there is a thread asking about the virtues, but I would really enjoy this function, a great deal of my photography is while out sailing, it would be so useful to have this function.

A tripod mount in-line with the lens... what were they thinking?

Some more programmable buttons.

A small LCD screen on top for basic info, I can't believe how much I miss reading off basic settings such as ISO, shutter and aperture, no of images, battery life (and this needs improvement, to know how long you have rather than just when the batt is flat).

Relocate the framing assist lock, it's a nightmare especially when feeling for it during filming.

A dedicated method when using manual (my most/only used mode) to adjust the aperture and shutter independently.

Move or make the timer function stop offering up every time I attempt to enter the on-screen menu, it seems to happen all the time to me, I want to move the ISO a bit and I have to cancel the 10s timer. It might just be a case of making the button more positive to touch.

A filter thread on the front of the lens, I want to have the shade and a polariser sometimes.

A zoom ring might be nice.

I don't have a problem with the EVF, I do use it all the time and find it works rather well, though, a rubber eye piece so I can hold it against my eye more comfortably might be nice too.

Rubber holds, I have stuck my own on and they do make the camera feel much nicer.

Larger film with super slow motion, toy town etc. currently it feels like a demo mode only function.

I would have paid more for some of these options, I didn't go shopping for the cheapest camera in the shop, I was looking at the more expensive panasonic and sony at the time.

That should do for now.

edit> electronic spirit level available while filming, why not? More focusing options while filming, such as tracking, it is unbelievably poor at losing focus when trying to film moving objects. Maybe a touch screen focus would be spiffing.

I realise this list looks like I should buy a DLSR, but much of this stuff is not extreme.

-- hide signature --

Julian
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Canon SX50, Olympus C5050z, Batteries, Lens Cloth, Neckstrap, polo mints, bus money.
Frodsham Panoramic

saycheese's gear list:saycheese's gear list
Olympus Stylus 790 SW Olympus C-5050 Zoom Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Globemstr3
Regular MemberPosts: 392Gear list
Like?
Re: A bad EVF is better than none at all!!
In reply to MurryG, Jul 13, 2013

+2

-- hide signature --

Mark

Globemstr3's gear list:Globemstr3's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Nikon D3100
I2K4
Regular MemberPosts: 431Gear list
Like?

I'm with the EVF shooters, but since I have a better one on my SX10, we know Canon can do better.

I don't know if it's done it this year, but I want Canon to take a really hard look at the Panny FZ200 for that EVF,  but more importantly for a faster lens.  I wouldn't expect f/2.8 for 50X telephoto, but want it at the wide end, and Canon has to stop pretending that noise reduction at a ridiculously high ISO is a low light "solution" for these little sensors.  If I want fingerpainting I'll go to Toys-R-Us.

I2K4's gear list:I2K4's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS +1 more
MarioV
Like?
In reply to I2K4, Jul 14, 2013

Like everyone who responded, I do prefer a nice EVF and hope that Canon come to their senses and provided one.

Whenever I go from DSLR to SX50, I instinctively look through the viewfinder and have an unpleasant experience. So I just use the LCD which has more definition.

My first preference is to have a useful EVF. If thats not gonna happen, then I would rather have a quality high res LCD screen with adjustable brightness levels. My Sony HX50V does that quite well and easy to view in sunlight.

Lets just hope they do include an improved EVF. Canon should try to be a leader for this one. Not just another "me too" product.

As for wider aperture.. same can be said about larger sensor.

Out of these, what would you want, versus, what does Canon thinks the market segment wants:

1. 60x 24-1440mm f/3.5 - f/6.9

2. 52x 24-1348mm f/2.9 - f/5.6

3. 30x 24-720mm constant f/3.5

4. 16x 24-384 f/? with a 1/1.7" sensor

(edit:  Fuji X-S1 has a 26x f/2.8-f/5.6 with 2/3" sensor, but is a larger camera)

5. 8.3x 24-200 f/? with a 1inch sensor

I2K4 wrote:

I'm with the EVF shooters, but since I have a better one on my SX10, we know Canon can do better.

I don't know if it's done it this year, but I want Canon to take a really hard look at the Panny FZ200 for that EVF, but more importantly for a faster lens. I wouldn't expect f/2.8 for 50X telephoto, but want it at the wide end, and Canon has to stop pretending that noise reduction at a ridiculously high ISO is a low light "solution" for these little sensors. If I want fingerpainting I'll go to Toys-R-Us.

Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D5200 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
j2l3m7
Senior MemberPosts: 3,548Gear list
Like?
Re: I hope you are very wrong
In reply to Britney Elvis, Jul 14, 2013

What we have in the SX40 HS and SX50 HS is adequate for me, I would not want to go to no EVF.

-- hide signature --

Thanks for posting, have a great day.
John

j2l3m7's gear list:j2l3m7's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX60 HS Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +17 more
Darkdac
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?
In reply to MarioV, Jul 16, 2013

don`t dream too much. Canon SX60 will have the same lens, the same megapixel as SX50 HS; the only thing different will be full HD movie in 60 fps. Don`t forget thet they have an very old president as CEO and he is very conservative......all the cammera makers have old president wich lives in an other world and they don`t see the reality that surround them. Don`t expect better zoom, better EVF or better LCD screen.......look, we are in the middle of summer, the vacantions are almost gone and SX60 is not on market......what to do with SX60 in autumm? Nikon and Sony release theyrs superzoomers in the spring and all the peoples wants a new camera in vacation....but Canon doesn`t understand that because theirs bosses are too old to be bosses.

Darkdac's gear list:Darkdac's gear list
Canon PowerShot A510 Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX210 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V +1 more
Alchymist
Regular MemberPosts: 201Gear list
Like?
Re: A bad EVF is better than none at all!!
In reply to Globemstr3, Jul 16, 2013

+3

Alchymist's gear list:Alchymist's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Kodak EasyShare CX7530 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot A530 +5 more
Trigwynt
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
In reply to MarioV, Jul 17, 2013

Just to digress slightly, when are Canon likely to announce the SX60?

MarioV
Like?
In reply to Trigwynt, Jul 17, 2013

Trigwynt wrote:

Just to digress slightly, when are Canon likely to announce the SX60?

The SX50 was announced in September and released in October.. so possibly the same this year with the SX60.

Stadleroux
Regular MemberPosts: 298
Like?

I don't have an SX50, so I can't speak from experience, but I think a larger f-stop at the current maximum zoom would be more useful than yet another increase in zoom ability. Doesn't have to be wide open all the way like the Pany, just larger than currently would already be cool. A more comfortable right-hand grip would also be nice. I still have an SX10, and somehow I prefer my grip to the SX50's. Iirc there's too little room for my fingers between the lens and the grip.

Stadler

Don_Campbell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,083
Like?

MarioV wrote:

Of course, is irrelevant to make suggestions to Canon about a damera that is already in production getting ready for the retail release.

We know Canon can make a better EVF since they did so with the SX10 and SX20. Without an EVF they lose virtually all who want to use the camera for serious work.

Kodak doesn't have RAW.

Without raw Canon loses a major advantage of the SX50 over the previous Canon superzooms. The amazing capabilities of the SX50 encourages users to push it even further and that requires raw. Without raw they lose me.

It has a 52x 24-1348mm lens with f/2.9 - f/5.6 which is very nice compared to f/3.4 - f/6.5 for the SX50.

Suggesting a lens change without yet getting an understanding of the quality of the lens you are comparing to the Canon's is premature. Canon's slower lens is impressive over its entire focal length--maybe the Kodak's is as good as well as faster but then why put it into a box that is crippled without an EVF and without raw?

To get me to trade up to an SX60 it would likely be specs like a better EVF, using the speed and power of the Digic 6 to permit raw manual exposure and manual ISO in HQ Burst mode.

Don

I2K4
Regular MemberPosts: 431Gear list
Like?
In reply to Darkdac, Jul 17, 2013

I'm wondering if it will have the Digic 6, and exactly how that will affect  performance.  Not saying I'd buy it if it doesn't go wider angle and faster lens, as I wrote above.  If my SX10 broke today, for my own purposes, I'd replace it with FZ200 in spite of all the things I like better about Canon.

Interesting comment about the season of year:  I suspect fall releases are pitched to Xmas sales while, as you say, spring releases are pitched to summer vacations.  What Canon and competing makers think about it I'm not sure.

I2K4's gear list:I2K4's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS +1 more
DonA2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,119Gear list
Like?
In reply to Don_Campbell, Jul 18, 2013

Kodak (paper tiger) is all smoke and mirrors.  Panasonic now has a 60X zoom so the race to oblivion is on.  With JPEG software lens correction there is little need for RAW but some will no doubt carry on with that crusade.  Were talking small sensors here.  A good EVF is overdue on Canon's SZs so that along with their new software is all I want to see.  50X is just fine.

DonA2's gear list:DonA2's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS
utomo99
Regular MemberPosts: 366
Like?
panasonic FZ70 Re: Canon SX60 suggestions
In reply to DonA2, Jul 18, 2013

DonA2 wrote:

Kodak (paper tiger) is all smoke and mirrors. Panasonic now has a 60X zoom so the race to oblivion is on. With JPEG software lens correction there is little need for RAW but some will no doubt carry on with that crusade. Were talking small sensors here. A good EVF is overdue on Canon's SZs so that along with their new software is all I want to see. 50X is just fine.

the most intersting things from FZ 70 is not the 60x zoom

the 20mm is more interesting and also the price.

If Panasonic can deliver good images with the FZ70 I believe many people will buy this camera

what is canon answer ?

Kings1
Regular MemberPosts: 176
Like?
Re: panasonic FZ70 Re: Canon SX60 suggestions
In reply to utomo99, Jul 18, 2013

utomo99 wrote:

DonA2 wrote:

Kodak (paper tiger) is all smoke and mirrors. Panasonic now has a 60X zoom so the race to oblivion is on. With JPEG software lens correction there is little need for RAW but some will no doubt carry on with that crusade. Were talking small sensors here. A good EVF is overdue on Canon's SZs so that along with their new software is all I want to see. 50X is just fine.

If Panasonic can deliver good images with the FZ70 I believe many people will buy this camera

what is canon answer ?

I sadly had to return my SX 50 because my hands are to big and I kept hitting buttons on the back when I held by the grip. The Panasonic doesn't look like I'd have that problem, so I might buy it. I would need to see if it supports Raw, but that wouldn't be a deal breaker if it didn't for me.

I like the 399 release price on Amazon and the 20mm is interesting, but 1200mm is much more why I would buy it.

DonA2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,119Gear list
Like?
Re: panasonic FZ70 Re: Canon SX60 suggestions
In reply to Kings1, Jul 19, 2013

Kings1 wrote:

utomo99 wrote:

DonA2 wrote:

what is canon answer ?

I sadly had to return my SX 50 because my hands are to big and I kept hitting buttons on the back when I held by the grip. The Panasonic doesn't look like I'd have that problem, so I might buy it. I would need to see if it supports Raw, but that wouldn't be a deal breaker if it didn't for me.

I like the 399 release price on Amazon and the 20mm is interesting, but 1200mm is much more why I would buy it.

Here's the fly in the soup.  The Panasonic has a 'fixed' lcd.  It has an average EVF and worse it is much bigger than the SX50.  It does have a few plusses but I for one will pass.

DonA2's gear list:DonA2's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads