Fuji Finepix HS50EXR problem

Started Jul 12, 2013 | Questions
grahamedwards
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Fuji Finepix HS50EXR problem
Jul 12, 2013

Hi all , i have just taken delivery of a new HS50EXR - i have installed memory card and set time etc - tried a pic outside and it came out almost totally white , tried indoors and pics are coming out very dark and very green / yellow - hard to explaint but in a nutshell the pics are rubbish !!

I have tried on various settingsto no avail - anyone got any ideas ?

Thanks in advance

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Jim A
Regular MemberPosts: 237Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji Finepix HS50EXR problem
In reply to grahamedwards, Jul 12, 2013

Try a reset. Then shoot in P mode if it does not work send it back.

-- hide signature --

Jim :^)

Jim A's gear list:Jim A's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD990 IS Olympus C-5050 Zoom Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-20 Canon PowerShot G12 +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Steve40
Regular MemberPosts: 422
Like?
In reply to grahamedwards, Jul 12, 2013

I recently received a HS35, basically the same camera. Mine was fine, the HS cameras seem to be happy with about a -2ev setting, as they tend to over expose slightly. But it sounds like you have a bad one, I believe you need to exchange it.

-- hide signature --

Steve40.
http://steveslandscapes.50webs.com
Cameras: Canon's G12, and A1200. Sony DSC-H90. Fuji HS35EXR.

AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,407Gear list
Like?
In reply to Steve40, Jul 12, 2013

I recently received a HS35, basically the same camera

The HS35 is basically the same camera as the HS30

the HS50 is a different beast altogether and a reset may sort out its whacky metering issues if not then as the other guy said, sounds faulty

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Fujifilm X-S1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
AlanJones
Junior MemberPosts: 32Gear list
Like?
In reply to grahamedwards, Jul 14, 2013

I have a new HS50 with the same issue. Unless i use the flash I get the funky yellow/green photo. Not what i expected from this camera.

Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,547Gear list
Like?
In reply to Steve40, Jul 14, 2013

Steve40 wrote:

I recently received a HS35, basically the same camera. Mine was fine, the HS cameras seem to be happy with about a -2ev setting, as they tend to over expose slightly. But it sounds like you have a bad one, I believe you need to exchange it.

-2EV? That's a brutal underexposure and will dramatically increase your noise. I will go as much as -1EV for lights at night or for ultra contrasty conditions, but -2 is very rare indeed ...

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Kim Letkeman
Like?
the EXR article ...
In reply to grahamedwards, Jul 14, 2013

grahamedwards wrote:

Hi all , i have just taken delivery of a new HS50EXR - i have installed memory card and set time etc - tried a pic outside and it came out almost totally white , tried indoors and pics are coming out very dark and very green / yellow - hard to explaint but in a nutshell the pics are rubbish !!

Thanks in advance

Read the first section and see how you get on ...

Nothing Special: How to Shoot an EXR Camera

Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
AlanJones
Junior MemberPosts: 32Gear list
Like?
Re: the EXR article ...
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Jul 14, 2013

Kim,

Thanks for the informative article. I will put recommendations in this article into practice later on today. I have a lot to learn with shooting an EXR but I look forward to the journey.

Alan

Steve40
Like?

Kim Letkeman wrote:

Steve40 wrote:

-2EV? That's a brutal underexposure and will dramatically increase your noise. I will go as much as -1EV for lights at night or for ultra contrasty conditions, but -2 is very rare indeed ...

-- hide signature --

That's what they call a typo, it should be .67 or two clicks of - EV.  In extreme conditions maybe a full stop -1ev, but not often. 

-- hide signature --

Steve40.

Steve40
Like?
In reply to AlanJones, Jul 14, 2013

I don't know the conditions, or settings you are getting this "Yellow-Green" effect from. But I discovered, if I have my color set to low. at several settings of the EXR mode I will get this effect, setting the color back to STD cures it. But it only occurs, in the EXR mode. I do remember one!, is with the "Pro Low Light" setting.

There could be other settings that cause this problem, so set everything back to default, and see if it cures the problem.

-- hide signature --

Steve40.

Kim Letkeman
Like?

Steve40 wrote:

Kim Letkeman wrote:

Steve40 wrote:

-- hide signature --

That's what they call a typo, it should be .67 or two clicks of - EV. In extreme conditions maybe a full stop -1ev, but not often.

Whew

Kim Letkeman
Like?

Steve40 wrote:

I don't know the conditions, or settings you are getting this "Yellow-Green" effect from. But I discovered, if I have my color set to low. at several settings of the EXR mode I will get this effect, setting the color back to STD cures it. But it only occurs, in the EXR mode. I do remember one!, is with the "Pro Low Light" setting.

There could be other settings that cause this problem, so set everything back to default, and see if it cures the problem.

Using film modes like ASTIA (SOFT) and VELVIA (VIVID) are a sure recipe for out of control chroma noise indoors. Always shoot PROVIA (STANDARD) when indoors. And I still recommend the P mode DR400 to soften the tone curves. That gives you slightly flatter tones, but the end result is simply cleaner. It also has the advantage that lights do not automatically give hard burnouts ... SN mode may have slightly better noise characteristics, but the DR100 tone curve makes the images look harsher and makes lights blow out.

DR400 M size is your friend with EXR cameras ... every day, and all the time.

Kim Letkeman
Like?
In reply to AlanJones, Jul 14, 2013

AlanJones wrote:

I have a new HS50 with the same issue. Unless i use the flash I get the funky yellow/green photo. Not what i expected from this camera.

Depends on your settings ... see my last post in the thread:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51805995

PerH
Contributing MemberPosts: 663Gear list
Like?

Kim Letkeman wrote:

Steve40 wrote:

I don't know the conditions, or settings you are getting this "Yellow-Green" effect from. But I discovered, if I have my color set to low. at several settings of the EXR mode I will get this effect, setting the color back to STD cures it. But it only occurs, in the EXR mode. I do remember one!, is with the "Pro Low Light" setting.

Using film modes like ASTIA (SOFT) and VELVIA (VIVID) are a sure recipe for out of control chroma noise indoors. Always shoot PROVIA (STANDARD) when indoors. And I still recommend the P mode DR400 to soften the tone curves. That gives you slightly flatter tones, but the end result is simply cleaner. It also has the advantage that lights do not automatically give hard burnouts ... SN mode may have slightly better noise characteristics, but the DR100 tone curve makes the images look harsher and makes lights blow out.

DR400 M size is your friend with EXR cameras ... every day, and all the time.

-- hide signature --

I totally agree with you

-- hide signature --

/PerH

PerH's gear list:PerH's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?
In reply to grahamedwards, Jul 15, 2013

grahamedwards wrote:

Thanks in advance

Strange coz mine worked flawlessly with or without tune up. It must be a defective one so try a reset and return it if problem persists. And don't listen to those suggesting MSize DR400 is the right setting. It's for lazy people or those who don't know how to maximize EXR camera. Lsize RAW will give you the optimum result.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,210
Like?
In reply to jcmarfilph, Jul 15, 2013

jcmarfilph wrote:

Strange coz mine worked flawlessly with or without tune up. It must be a defective one so try a reset and return it if problem persists. And don't listen to those suggesting MSize DR400 is the right setting. It's for lazy people or those who don't know how to maximize EXR camera. Lsize RAW will give you the optimum result.

I've got nothing against people having an opinion, but you've NEVER shown any pictures to prove that Joms. In fact, 99% of what you've shown just goes to prove that shooting L size DOESN'T work.

If it's an EXR camera you shoot it at half resolution, end of story.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:
You Must Be 10% Smarter Than The Equipment You're Operating

Kim Letkeman
Like?
seriously flawed advice ...

jcmarfilph wrote:

grahamedwards wrote:

Thanks in advance

Strange coz mine worked flawlessly with or without tune up. It must be a defective one so try a reset and return it if problem persists. And don't listen to those suggesting MSize DR400 is the right setting. It's for lazy people or those who don't know how to maximize EXR camera. Lsize RAW will give you the optimum result.

I agree with Paul. You say it all the time, but your examples are not compelling.

Just an example of the forum fringe trying to hoodwink people into shooting a sensor designed for extended dynamic range and noise control into shooting it without the benefit of either feature ...

I mean ... really .... you gotta be kidding at this point.

jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?
Re: seriously flawed advice ...
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Jul 15, 2013

Kim Letkeman wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

grahamedwards wrote:

Thanks in advance

I agree with Paul. You say it all the time, but your examples are not compelling.

Just an example of the forum fringe trying to hoodwink people into shooting a sensor designed for extended dynamic range and noise control into shooting it without the benefit of either feature ...

I mean ... really .... you gotta be kidding at this point.

-- hide signature --

I am serious. You are throwin half of pixels worth of detail with a mere DR recovery. Time to get out of your cave really,

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Steve40
Like?

I'm sorry but the DR function, is something I could do without As the previous poster stated, it will cost you detail, and causes more noise. As does setting file size to M, you are still getting all the noise from the unused pixels, and no image information. This results in less signal and, more noise. With any digital camera, bar none.

I have finally come to peace with my HS35, Like other digital cameras it does some things wel, l but by far not all. The only EXR function I can say I really like is the "Hi ISO Low Noise" one. Other than that! operating the camera in either M or P mode, with a lot of things turned down is the best way to fly.

-- hide signature --

Steve40.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Steve40, Jul 15, 2013

As does setting file size to M, you are still getting all the noise from the unused pixels, and no image information.

The pixels aren't unused. If you don't care for higher DR, then fine, but the effect is quite good, and the pixels are used.

cantanima's gear list:cantanima's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix 2600 Zoom Fujifilm X10
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads