What is the most beautiful camera ever made?

Started Jul 10, 2013 | Discussions
Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,839
Like?
Beauty
In reply to wfektar, Jul 11, 2013

wfektar wrote:

Richard wrote:

Glen Barrington wrote:

I'm not talking about functionality, just aesthetic beauty.

And I thought the Hasselblad Lunar took the biscuit for ugly.

For me, the best looking would be the Leica III series, original Nikon F, OM1, SL66, early Bronicas (Z, D, S), and any Ebony.

I was hoping someone would reply and say these were ugly. Because beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A camera is a tool. It is like saying which is more beautiful a hammer or a polished gold plated hammer. Who cares.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
micronean
Regular MemberPosts: 302Gear list
Like?
Re: "Beautiful cameras". Whats next?
In reply to LouMeluso, Jul 11, 2013

I always liked the look of the Nikon F4. great mix of old and new.

micronean's gear list:micronean's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
clack
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?
Re: What is the most beautiful camera ever made?
In reply to Glen Barrington, Jul 11, 2013

The ball camera.

Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,602Gear list
Like?

Hi,

Not sure of the point of this - beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all - but I'll play......  Yes, I owned these except the M6.

Compact - Contax T

35mm RF - Leica M6

Film SLR - F3

MF RF - tie between Mamiya 7 and Plauble Makina Wide 67

DSLR - K5, of course.....:-) No photo needed.

Digital RF styled AF 24X36 MILC  - not made yet.  Tip - The first small and reasonably affordable model with a decent feature set and good lenses sells like hot cakes........

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot G12 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +5 more
Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 14,192
Like?
Re: Ow
In reply to wfektar, Jul 11, 2013

wfektar wrote:

Richard wrote:

Glen Barrington wrote:

Wow. These look like the offspring of a hair dryer mated with a conference phone.

Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 14,192
Like?
Re: Beauty
In reply to Richard, Jul 11, 2013

Richard wrote:

wfektar wrote:

Richard wrote:

Glen Barrington wrote:

For me, the best looking would be the Leica III series, original Nikon F, OM1, SL66, early Bronicas (Z, D, S), and any Ebony.

I was hoping someone would reply and say these were ugly. Because beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A camera is a tool. It is like saying which is more beautiful a hammer or a polished gold plated hammer. Who cares.

Well they are ugly, for sure. But some 'tools' are still beautiful, aside from their functionality. Nikon SP rangefinder for instance. Nothing wrong with enjoying that beauty.

-- hide signature --

It's nice to say that nice pictures are nice. (sarcasm)

Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,460
Like?
Olympus Pen-F

The new digital Pen tries to look like this, but doesn't quite manage it, somehow....

.... and remember, this camera from 1963 is a single lens reflex, and has nice eyelevel viewfinder.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
:
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

RJNedimyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,719
Like?

Glen Barrington wrote:

I wonder if there should be categories since function controls basic form in many cases.

In the SLR category, I don't think ANY DSLR can stand up in terms of beauty to the old Canon FT-QL or the Olympus OM-1.

Ugliest GOOD camera (for its time)? Argus C3

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7267302@N03/

The 5X7" folding/bellows [similar design to the press camera] Marbled cherry wood camera My had when I was a kid [sorry no photos]. Hmmm I wonder if he still has it? He is 85 but I'll ask. If he does I'll try to get some photos.

-- hide signature --

Ray
RJNedimyer

DigitalIIIc
Regular MemberPosts: 118Gear list
Like?
Leica IIIc

For me it's a Leica IIIC. In general I prefer the design of older vintage items over the newer stuff. Not only for camera's, also for cars, airplanes, yachts and interior design ... like a Castiglioni arco flos lamp for example.

happypoppeye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,790Gear list
Like?
The Clacker

happypoppeye's gear list:happypoppeye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 5,689Gear list
Like?

Fuji X100 .....and I'm a Sony fanboy..... 

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +6 more
Stadleroux
Regular MemberPosts: 298
Like?
Re: Beauty
In reply to Midwest, Jul 11, 2013

Midwest wrote:

Richard wrote:

wfektar wrote:

Richard wrote:

Glen Barrington wrote:

Well they are ugly, for sure. But some 'tools' are still beautiful, aside from their functionality. Nikon SP rangefinder for instance. Nothing wrong with enjoying that beauty.

-- hide signature --

Absolutely. Even a well-finished hammer can be beautiful; hell, even a well-designed knife or multitool can be beautiful, but a gold-plated hammer would be just, well, kitsch...

In his most enjoyable book Planes, Trains and Automobiles Dan Kieran writes about objects that feel good to hold, without the holder really knowing why. One of the people he interviewed for the book gave him a Walther PPK pistol to hold, and Kieran, a self-confessed pacifist, antigun type of chap, without being able to explain why, enjoyed holding and handling the pistol! He was then handed a similar size, Japanese pistol, and the experience was totally different. I know too few cameras myself, but I think many of the really great ones were like that Walther; you just want to hold it and play with it all the time. In fact, the Germans apparently call something like that a Spielzeug, which can be translated as "plaything" or "toy," but it can also refer to something like this.

JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 34,587Gear list
Like?

Pentax Spotmatic, my first SLR

Plus

Minox B sub miniature camera.

I have one of the latter, sadly my Spotmatic was stolen years ago.

Cope
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,321Gear list
Like?

Maxxum 9, but my favorite of the ones I have owned was the Minolta X-700.

-- hide signature --

Never ask a man where he's from. If he is from Texas, he'll tell you. Otherwise, don't embarrass him.

Cope's gear list:Cope's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +3 more
Klaus dk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,493Gear list
Like?
The REAL Hasselblad Lunar

Can't beat that history!

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,839
Like?
The Nikon SP rangefinder is butt ugly
In reply to Midwest, Jul 11, 2013

Midwest wrote:

Richard wrote:

wfektar wrote:

Richard wrote:

Glen Barrington wrote:

-- hide signature --

It is a brick with some dials, no smooth lines, nothing pleasing to the eye. It looks like the Japanese were attempting to knock of some other brand poorly. Sharp angles, yes butt ugly. There is nothing beautiful about it and no beauty to enjoy, My examples are much more beautiful, you can tell that someone actually thought about the astetics of the camera unlike the Nikon SP. We will never agree  because beauty is in the eye of the beholder which was my point..

Lightpath48
Senior MemberPosts: 2,396Gear list
Like?
"...in the eye of the beholder"

I appreciate the incredible diversity of responses you've already received. Truly, from Alpa to Zenit, almost anything could be here! My vote would be for the OM-1 with a 50mm f/1.8 Zuiko prime... sublime!

Lightpath48's gear list:Lightpath48's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D3300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +1 more
Tapper123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,172Gear list
Like?
Canon A-1 (film SLR, my first real camera)

As someone else wrote, it's in the eye of the beholder. But to me the Canon A-1 is still a thing of handsome beauty, and is/was a truly great film SLR.

Tapper123's gear list:Tapper123's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-F3 +2 more
Pangloss
Senior MemberPosts: 2,298Gear list
Like?
Probably the "baby blue" K-01...

No comments!

-- hide signature --

Andrew
Novice photographer

Pangloss's gear list:Pangloss's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Ricoh GXR GR Lens A12 28mm F2.5 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D200 +4 more
John Summers
Regular MemberPosts: 178Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sonyshine, Jul 11, 2013

My vote is for the Konica AutoReflex T3. I keep a couple sitting around just to look at. I find them beautifully pleasing to the eye.

-- hide signature --

Fly'nErcil

John Summers's gear list:John Summers's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot S90 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads