Anyone used the Debao SU800 Commander?

Started Jul 10, 2013 | Questions
Andrea Crema
Andrea Crema Senior Member • Posts: 1,142
Anyone used the Debao SU800 Commander?

Been looking at the Debao SU800 Commander over the Nikon version.

Currently looking to use it with Yongnuo 622N triggers (which currently work really well)

Was wondering, will it work with the 622N, (I believe I've read that it works with the Nikon SU800) so no reason for it not to work.

One last question,..... Is the Debao safe to use (I'd asked the same question prior to purchasing the Yongnuo 622Ns) I don't think it's like some aftermarket flashes where there could be a high trigger voltage, so guessing it would be as it's specifically designed for Nikon.

Thanks

Andrea Crema's gear list:Andrea Crema's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 XF 90mm Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +8 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
David Carrico Regular Member • Posts: 287
Re: Anyone used the Debao SU800 Commander?

Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you but I do have the exact same question, as the addition of the Debao SU-800 (if it works well) would make for a great, inexpensive system.  I currently use an SB-910 as my controller, but would much rather have the SB-910 out as one of my off camera flashes if the Debao works.  I see that for use in my system (which also includes the YN-622Ns), the two advantages over the Nikon SU-800 are:

1) Cheaper by about $150

2) It uses AA batteries instead of the CR123As, so I can theoretically use my rechargeable eneloops.

Let me know if you see anything on its compatibility in a YN-622N integrated system.  So far it seems like its just too new.  But I figure some reviews should be coming out in the next few months for those that were brave and snatched one up right away.....

Andrea Crema
OP Andrea Crema Senior Member • Posts: 1,142

Yes agreed, I think it's still early days and  here in Europe I don't think anyone is selling it. In theory it should work, but having not heard of the brand I really want to see some reviews/ user reviews. Going to keep a look out!

Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 XF 90mm Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +8 more
Orbit15 New Member • Posts: 3

I have seen three purchase feedbacks on a EBay account stating these Debao su800 work well. One purchaser also has the YN622n. I've sent an email to that guy asking the question, If they work together but haven't received a response yet. Every feed back has said the su800 works very well.

I was just informed the Debao SU800 does not work as a commander while attached to the YN 622n's. So as for now, it's only the Nikon SU 800 that is compatible.

Andrea Crema
OP Andrea Crema Senior Member • Posts: 1,142

Orbit15 wrote:

I was just informed the Debao SU800 does not work as a commander while attached to the YN 622n's. So as for now, it's only the Nikon SU 800 that is compatible.

Shame if true

Andrea Crema wrote:

Orbit15 wrote:

Shame if true

I agree. The person I talked with says the Yn622n's work flawlessly and when he attached the Debao su800 it would not control as a master. However, the Debao working in infrared CLS work just fine. He's doing more testing to see if he set it up incorrectly, but as for now, no joy.

ThirstyEar New Member • Posts: 1

There's a fair bit of question as to whether the Debao SU-800 works with the Yongnuo YN-622N triggers, and I have seen some "No it doesn't" responses. Untrue! I am using the Debao SU-800 with 4 YN-622N triggers, D90 body, SB-700, YN468II, and YN565EX. It all works perfectly, with one exception - the 468 will absolutely not work in ttl with FEC. Works fine manual, so I do not know yet if I have a bad 468 or if this is a limitation. Otherwise, slick as can be - iTTL works great, can dial in FEC on each zone from the SU-800 to balance light from each zone, likewise in manual zones flash level can be set from the SU-800. The only "Odd Bit" I have encountered is that in order to transfer FEC settings to the flashes, I have to perform a "modeling flash" by depressing the DOF preview button on the camera. Just depressing the shutter release half way - which is SUPPOSED to send configuration data to the flashes - doesn't do it...

Chamo New Member • Posts: 2

ThirstyEar wrote:

There's a fair bit of question as to whether the Debao SU-800 works with the Yongnuo YN-622N triggers, and I have seen some "No it doesn't" responses. Untrue! I am using the Debao SU-800 with 4 YN-622N triggers, D90 body, SB-700, YN468II, and YN565EX. It all works perfectly, with one exception - the 468 will absolutely not work in ttl with FEC. Works fine manual, so I do not know yet if I have a bad 468 or if this is a limitation. Otherwise, slick as can be - iTTL works great, can dial in FEC on each zone from the SU-800 to balance light from each zone, likewise in manual zones flash level can be set from the SU-800. The only "Odd Bit" I have encountered is that in order to transfer FEC settings to the flashes, I have to perform a "modeling flash" by depressing the DOF preview button on the camera. Just depressing the shutter release half way - which is SUPPOSED to send configuration data to the flashes - doesn't do it...

Hi ThirstyEar,

Im very happy to read your comment!

People says it works and other says it doesn t, don t know what to think :/.

I have a D800, SB910 and SB600 and want to be able to control them with a Debao SU-800 on top of one YN622N, I need the radio range (behind walls, etc) and not the optical system wich need to the camera to see the flashes.

So can you confirm me that everything works fine with your YN622N with the Debao SU-800 on top of it?

Thanks in advance,

John

jerry lebens Forum Member • Posts: 55

Hi ThirstyEar,

Could you help me with a question? Does the af assist work even if you aren't using flash?

I'm doing some extremely low level light action photography without flash at the moment. However, I'm having to use a Nikon SB-800 to focus with the flash switched off - it works well but it's really heavy for extended use. So I'm looking for alternative methods of getting ir af without flash.

(No, I don't want to use the AF illuminator on the camera, it distracts my subjects).

Thanks for any answers.

Jerry

sgav8r New Member • Posts: 19

I just ordered one of these from eachshot.com.

Anyone still using this product that can report on how it's holding up?

I'm thinking it's less of a great buy now that the YN-522tx is available for the YN-622n system.  I'm planning on using the Debao and playing around with CLS for a while. We will see how it goes on location.  My standby has always been the Yongnuo manual triggers (602, 603) but eventually I think I see myself with a YN-622n/622tx system!

Still... Can't wait to get hand on that Debao unit and start getting creative with CLS!

sgav8r's gear list:sgav8r's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D2X Nikon AF Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon 85mm F1.8G +3 more
Bretal New Member • Posts: 4

Seems a good buy. Is it the same as this one ? http://www.led-video-lights.com/su-800-wireless-speedlight-transmitter

antonyantoniou
antonyantoniou New Member • Posts: 1

I have just downloaded the manual for the Debao SU800, it states that it supports High Speed Sync(subject to camera) has anyone used this?

If it does, then I will definitely be getting one.

antonyantoniou wrote:

I have just downloaded the manual for the Debao SU800, it states that it supports High Speed Sync(subject to camera) has anyone used this?

If it does, then I will definitely be getting one.

Take a look at the Yongnuo YN622N-TX and YN622N before you buy.  Its a low cost radio trigger system, that allows you similar functionality as the Debao SU800, but without the limitation of having to be line of sight with the flashes....

jtan163 Senior Member • Posts: 2,265

Andrea Crema wrote:

Orbit15 wrote:

Shame if true

I would not have expected the SU800 or a clone to work with 622Ns.
622s are radio based signalling.
The SU-800/CLS flashes are optical signalling - they use white light or IR light to communicate.

jtan163's gear list:jtan163's gear list
Nikon D750 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +7 more
KSV Veteran Member • Posts: 3,351
No 3-rd party flashes for me

Andrea Crema wrote:

Been looking at the Debao SU800 Commander over the Nikon version.

Currently looking to use it with Yongnuo 622N triggers (which currently work really well)

Was wondering, will it work with the 622N, (I believe I've read that it works with the Nikon SU800) so no reason for it not to work.

One last question,..... Is the Debao safe to use (I'd asked the same question prior to purchasing the Yongnuo 622Ns) I don't think it's like some aftermarket flashes where there could be a high trigger voltage, so guessing it would be as it's specifically designed for Nikon.

Thanks

Ages ago I purchased Sigma flash for Pentax. Works like charm. Then I upgrade my Pentax istDS to K10D and flash stop working. Complain to Sigma and they said that there is known issue with K10D (bloody hell! there was "issue" with their flash - Pentax ones was working no problems!) and offer for me re-chip it for free - mind you actually quite after warranty was over witch is really good will. I was more then a month without flash (I could not complain - it was for free!!!) and when it came back it was working like a marvel ..... with K10D and stop working with istDS!!! Meanwhile all Pentaxians who been used genuine Pentax flashes was happily shooting.

Morale? There are no 3-rd party flash equipment for me. Period. Nikon flash system is a gem, but obviously it is a complicated gem. Also it is proprietary gem meaning that all 3-rd parties doing reverse engineering to make their own flashes working with Nikon. Therefore there is no guarantee that it will compatible with new Nikon body or new Nikon flash. I would rather pay little bit more upfront. Yes, YMMV.

KSV's gear list:KSV's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon Df Nikon D700 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/85 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +8 more

jtan163 wrote:

Andrea Crema wrote:

Orbit15 wrote:

Shame if true

I would not have expected the SU800 or a clone to work with 622Ns.
622s are radio based signalling.
The SU-800/CLS flashes are optical signalling - they use white light or IR light to communicate.

The reason it was being asked was that the Nikon SU800 DOES work with the 622N.  It basically allows you to use the SU800 as a commander controller and those signals are provided to the 622N, which then talks to all the flashes over the radio.  This was of value when the 622Ns came out because without a controller such as the SU800, SB900, SB910 or SB700 - the button based control configuration of the 622 was difficult to learn.

However, Yongnuo eventually came out with a controller of their own, the YN-622N-TX which has an easy to use screen and lots of features, so in some ways, it rendered the question less important regarding  whether the Debao works with the 622N or not ....

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads