Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?
Re: Best Small Shoulder Bag for XE1 3 Lens Kit
In reply to aman74, Jul 12, 2013

aman74 wrote:

Red5TX wrote:

alexzn wrote:

ONA Bowery is probably the smallest, I am not sure if it can take the zoom height-wise, but its well-made and does not look like a camera bag.

Let's be honest: all of these bags look like camera bags to a thief with half a brain. When I first bought my Retro 5 I clung to the delusion that it didn't really look like a camera bag but that's not really true. The bad guys can spot any of these bags from a mile away and will know exactly what's in them.

He didn't say anything about thieves. Some people just don't want to look like a tourist.

Agreed about thieves though, but at this point that doesn't really matter either. Nowadays they aren't just looking for cameras with iPads, tablets, etc... being so predominately carried in bags. Any bag is a target, just like a purse.

I agree.  Sometimes I take my camera bag out with an old Nikon N75 film camera in it.  While the camera is a delight to use, it's only worth about $45 on eBay.  I find myself secretly hoping that a theif will pick that day to steal my camera bag.  I would love to see the look on his face when he takes an N75 to a pawn shop.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bjmike
Contributing MemberPosts: 575Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jim King, Jul 12, 2013

The passport Sling is now my main day-to-day bag.  I put the 55-200 in one compartment, either the 18, 35, or 60mm in the bottom of the second compartment (on its side), then my XE1 fits on top of that, LCD facing up and 18-55 down. In addition, if needed, I can throw in a flash. There's still room for all kinds of other stuff in the back, altho I haven't tried to fit a monopod in there yet.

bjmike's gear list:bjmike's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
ktwse
Regular MemberPosts: 344Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lawrence Fleischer, Jul 13, 2013

Lawrence Fleischer wrote:

All: I have the XE1, the 18-55mm, 14mm and the 55-200mm zoom. I'm looking for the smallest shoulder bag that can accommodate the camera and the 3 lenses. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I'lll third (fourth, fifth or something like that) the Billingham Hadley Pro. If not for the 55-200 I would have said the Hadley Small which I use myself, but I don't think it'll hold all of those.

sure, Billingham bags are pricey but they're also incredibly well made and a joy to work with. I've used Lowepro and Thinktank bags before (including some of the Retrospectives) and I much prefer the Hadley to them, both in terms of quality and operation.

Tom

-- hide signature --

Grew up on Leica, fell in love with Fujifilm.

ktwse's gear list:ktwse's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR
Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Lawrence Fleischer
Regular MemberPosts: 101Gear list
Like?

Thanks for all of your comments.  I plan to visit B&H sometime next week and will put all of your advise to work.  Meantime, I borrowed a Tamrac Rally 5 from a buddy and will go out snapping with it today (weather permitting).  As I mentioned, I've only used photo backpacks in the past so I really don't know if any shoulder bag is for me.  Time will tell.

Lawrence Fleischer's gear list:Lawrence Fleischer's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a6000 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +5 more
brand0
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
In reply to uniball, Sep 4, 2013
No text.
brand0
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
In reply to uniball, Sep 4, 2013

uniball wrote:

Lawrence Fleischer wrote:

All: I have the XE1, the 18-55mm, 14mm and the 55-200mm zoom. I'm looking for the smallest shoulder bag that can accommodate the camera and the 3 lenses. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I can't help you on what to choose but I can point you to something to be careful about.

I chose a Think Tank R7. Fail for the XE1. Probably too small for your lenses but the issue would be the same. The on/off switch on the XE1 is very easy to move and the tight fit of my R7 tends to switch it on. Then, proceeds to depress the shutter button until the battery dies.

Select a bag that has ample wiggle room, remove battery during travel.

You have to be careful putting your camera in any bag to avoid turning it on. It's more a flaw in the design of the on/off switch on the X-E1.

I have the Retrospective 7 and find it an excellent bag for the X-E1 with the 18-55 and 55-200, a small tripod, spare batteries, cards etc., in fact everything a street shooter could need in a compact, discreet and stylish bag. I have tried out many bags including the Billinghams and it's far and away the best bag I've found.

baabbott
Regular MemberPosts: 193
Like?
In reply to Asylum Photo, Sep 5, 2013

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/936440-REG/fujifilm_600012623_khaki_canvas_roll_bag.html

If the trim is actually real leather, that would be hard to beat for $40.

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,365Gear list
Like?
Tamrac Rally 4
In reply to baabbott, Sep 5, 2013

I just purchased a Tamrac Rally 4 ┬áto hold my trinity, 14, 18-55, 55-200 lenses with a little extra room for this and that. Also great for just a 8, 14, 18-55 lens plus a small bottle of water inside. A bottle of water will also fit outside pocket. I got a good price on a slightly used one on ebay.

I also have a smaller shoulder bag for just the 14 and 18-55 zoom

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
evil_e
Regular MemberPosts: 198Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lawrence Fleischer, Sep 6, 2013

I have a Domke FX5B that I love as a small shoulder bag, it's pretty tiny. I'm not sure if it will hold all you're asking it two, but I have managed to securely, safely cram a lot of stuff in there.

evil_e's gear list:evil_e's gear list
Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
andyatkinson
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
In reply to hellocrowley, Sep 13, 2013

That bag looks slick! I agree, I had a Retrospective 5 and thought it was heavy even without anything in it. The bag looks great, but in practice with gear, my shoulder hurt at the end of a day of walking around.

Lawrence Fleischer
Regular MemberPosts: 101Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lawrence Fleischer, Sep 18, 2013

So, I finally got to B&H and after a half hour of comparing bags I opted for the Think Tank City Walker 10.   It seemed to fit all of my requirements and felt the most comfortable on my shoulder.  And it didn't cost me a cent because I got a gift certificate from B&H for filling out a survey.  Can't beat that.  Anyway, thanks for all of your well thought out advice.   Happy shooting everyone.

Lawrence Fleischer's gear list:Lawrence Fleischer's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a6000 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +5 more
Pericles el Greco
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?

For what it's worth, I had also been working on finding a suitable bag for my new XE1 and I also selected the Citywalker 10. I really like this bag. Room for XE1 plus 4 lenses, iPad and chargers etc.  Light on the shoulder and easy to carry. Cheers, Pericles

Jim Evidon
Contributing MemberPosts: 505Gear list
Like?

Hadley Pro by Billingham is by far the best. I have had mine for several years starting with my Leica M8 and lenses. The bag is still going strong and continues to look great. If you don't want to spend that much money, look at the Think Tank bags and especially the Retrospective line. I have the Retrospective 5 for my OM-D outfit but it is a bit small for my XPro-1 Fuji. For that I think the Retrospective 10 would be perfect. The gray (Pinestone) color is very well made and finished, low key and doesn't draw attention.

I have no connection with either manufacturer.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Jim Evidon's gear list:Jim Evidon's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm XF1 Leica M9 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +2 more
Alan Wolf
Regular MemberPosts: 261Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lawrence Fleischer, Sep 20, 2013

Think Tank Hubba Hubba Hiney. I fit my XPro 1, small flash, 55-200 and either the 18 and 35 or 14 and 35 in the bag. Or, could take the 18 and 60 along with the 55-200—but I haven't tried that. Very well made, almost tiny—has a built in rain cover too. I'm sure the XE1 would slide in more smoothly the my camera (especially with RRS grip and plate on it)!

Alan Wolf's gear list:Alan Wolf's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 4/18 ZM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/85 +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads