Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 3,005Gear list
Like?
Re: Best Small Shoulder Bag for XE1 3 Lens Kit
In reply to Tom Schum, 9 months ago

Tom Schum wrote:

Lawrence Fleischer wrote:

All: I have the XE1, the 18-55mm, 14mm and the 55-200mm zoom. I'm looking for the smallest shoulder bag that can accommodate the camera and the 3 lenses. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I found in the excitement of the moment I left my camera bag wide open and then forgot about it. You can lose stuff that way!

Best to get a deeper bag with a front flap that drops down onto a velcro panel, such as a Crumpler Four Million Dollar Home:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/884491-REG/Crumpler_md4002_p01p40_4_Million_Dollar_Home.html

That front flap drops down and basically the bag closes itself for you. Not sure this is big enough for your three lenses, but the flap with velcro is a really good feature. I got a Gray one for a different camera and I've ended up carrying it more than most of my other bags.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Oops!  Looks like they have already phased out the velcro!  Not sure how well their latest touch fastener design works!

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jimmyca1219
Regular MemberPosts: 201Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tom Schum, 9 months ago

I'm using ONA Bowery to carry my x100, xpro1 with 1 lens setup.

I think it works well for me.

jimmyca1219's gear list:jimmyca1219's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica M8 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/28 ZM Voigtlander 35mm F2.5 Color Skopar +5 more
briny
Regular MemberPosts: 270Gear list
Like?
In reply to alexzn, 9 months ago

I love my ONA Bowery bag. Get an extra divider if you want to carry 3 lenses.

David Kieltyka
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,269Gear list
Like?
In reply to Red5TX, 9 months ago

Red5TX wrote:

Let's be honest: all of these bags look like camera bags to a thief with half a brain. When I first bought my Retro 5 I clung to the delusion that it didn't really look like a camera bag but that's not really true. The bad guys can spot any of these bags from a mile away and will know exactly what's in them.

Exactly. I often travel with a beat-up Domke satchel, but when I want my bag to not look like a camera bag I use a vinyl lunch box with Domke dividers inside.

I currently use a Retro 5 or 7 (can't remember which...the one with a full-sized iPad pocket) to store my X-E1 and lenses. I doubt I'd take it on an urban trip, though.

-Dave-

David Kieltyka's gear list:David Kieltyka's gear list
Leica M8.2 Pentax 645D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +7 more
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 20,271Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lawrence Fleischer, 9 months ago

All: I have the XE1, the 18-55mm, 14mm and the 55-200mm zoom. I'm looking for the smallest shoulder bag that can accommodate the camera and the 3 lenses. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Good suggestions above, but most seem to be either generous in size meaning they can fit more than you listed is necessary, or admittedly may struggle to fit at least the zoom lens. So since I have a fairly similar sized kit to yours, I wanted to throw this option out there for you...

Tamrac Zuma 5720

I use this bag as a small, light travel bag for my NEX-5N with EVF attached, along with my 18-55mm kit lens, 16mm pancake plus ECU1 wide-angle adapter, and 55-210mm zoom.  The bag almost exactly fits that kit - you could replace one of the lenses with a different lens option, but you're pretty much right at the bag limits with 3 lenses and camera body (one lens attached to the body, the other two riding along).  It has a narrow front zippered section which can handle batteries, cleaning cloth, memory cards, and the like.  There is pretty much NO spare room in this bag, at all.

My NEX-5N is shorter than your XE-1, but if you include the bulky height of my add-on EVF, it's actually a little taller, yet still fits in this bag.

If I leave the 55-210mm zoom at home, I can take something like a 50mm F1.8 manual lens along instead, which takes up less height in the bag, allowing me to squeeze my sunglasses into the bag on top of the lenses and camera.

I'm fairly sure the lenses are all fairly similar in dimension - my 55-210mm lens is 4.25" long compared to yours at 4.6" or so.  The only configuration you likely couldn't do in this bag is to have the 55-200mm lens attached to the camera, as I think it might be just a bit too high to get the zipper closed.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +22 more
BRPWS
Regular MemberPosts: 311Gear list
Like?
In reply to alexzn, 9 months ago

the ona does take the 55-200 standing up.

-- hide signature --

Elliot

BRPWS's gear list:BRPWS's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +2 more
Lawrence Fleischer
Forum MemberPosts: 79Gear list
Like?

Wow.  Thanks for all the advice.  I guess bags are really a big deal. Very personal.  I have several backpacks but they are inconvenient for quick changes so I'm looking for a shoulder bag.

The Billingham Hadley Small looks very appealing, but the price...

The ONA looks nice but it appears to be too small for the zoom.

I think I have it narrowed down to 3 possibilities: 1) Tamrac 5723 Zuma 3; 2) Think Tank Sub Urban Disguise 30; or 3) Tenba Photo/Laptop Mini Messenger.

I have a couple of Tamrac backpacks and they have always fared well with me so that may be the way I'll go, except the Tenba looks like it would also be very effective.

I think I'll head down to B&H and take a first hand look at them all when I get a a chance.  It's a 50 mile trip for me but it may be the thing I have to do.

Lawrence Fleischer's gear list:Lawrence Fleischer's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,255Gear list
Like?

Wow. Thanks for all the advice. I guess bags are really a big deal. Very personal. I have several backpacks but they are inconvenient for quick changes so I'm looking for a shoulder bag.

The Billingham Hadley Small looks very appealing, but the price...

The ONA looks nice but it appears to be too small for the zoom.

I think I have it narrowed down to 3 possibilities: 1) Tamrac 5723 Zuma 3; 2) Think Tank Sub Urban Disguise 30; or 3) Tenba Photo/Laptop Mini Messenger.

I have a couple of Tamrac backpacks and they have always fared well with me so that may be the way I'll go, except the Tenba looks like it would also be very effective.

I think I'll head down to B&H and take a first hand look at them all when I get a a chance. It's a 50 mile trip for me but it may be the thing I have to do.

Just to reiterate the Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 30i will definitely fit the Fuji 55-200 height wise and can be used as a reference height as you look at bag specs.

The Think Tank Retrospective 5 should work as well as the Domke F-6 Little Bit Smaller bag, I like the Ballistic material version better than the canvas version of the same bag.

-- hide signature --

If you are going to drive and I have no idea what a tank of Gas will cost or if you have to pay for parking or tolls getting to or in NYC. With that said it may be cheaper to just have the bags shipped to you.

Yes, order several camera bags at one time. B&H usually has Free shipping and based on how long it takes for you to drive I assume you should get the back quick via shipping in a day or two.

So the cost of Parking, tolls, gas, rush hour traffic stress whatever may be worth you having to pay the same thing in return shipping costs. Just saying travel expense could cost the same as shipping.

If you still want to go in person to B&H take all of your camera gear so you can fit everything and get a feel for the weight of the bag with the gear and the 55-200 is a heavy. You should also be comfortable working out of the bag.

I have the XE-1 with the RRS Grip and all the Fuji X lenses except the 18 mm prime.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
R Neuschul
Regular MemberPosts: 402
Like?

One thing which has been overlooked in all of this discussion is the overall weight of the bag itself.

I have about 5-6 different Billinghams of various sizes from the tiniest all the way to full backpack [all over 25 years old and still waterproof], a couple of Tenbas [also over 25 years old], a Domke or two and a few other oddball custom bags of various sizes; apart from the small Tenba and the small Billingham the weight of all these bags can be excessive when full and used for long periods - especially where the straps are poorly designed; with many cases it may be necessary to either replace the strap with a better one, or add a different shoulder pad such as the aircushion items from Optech.

Recently I looked at a couple of the Manfrotto bags at Calumet in London and compared them with equivalent sizes from Billingham and Domke; in particular I was checking the Manfotto Unica range. The relative empty weight is much lower when comparing size for size with other bags and the range has a built in [waterproof] tripod compartment. I suspect the Unicas range would probably be too small to take your full range of lenses, but it happily took my X-Pro plus the 18-55 and a couple of Nikon primes [24mm and 135mm] with just enough room for the X20 as well.

Re point made earlier about snug fitting bags: total agreement. When the bag is too snug there's great danger of battery drain.Also applies if you use one of Tim Isaacs' Thumbs Up grips; if the bag fitting is too tight you'll have problems.

In my own view a good bag that will handle anything more than a body and 2 lenses should also have the option to use a waist belt as well: this relieves some of the strain when attempting to move quickly and ensures you're not totally off balance; it's a useful half-way house to a backpack.

Lawrence Fleischer
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, 9 months ago

Thanks for the advise.  Both of these look good.  Could I fit an iPad mini into either of them?

Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
ryan2007
Like?

Thanks for the advise. Both of these look good. Could I fit an iPad mini into either of them?

Yes, the full size iPad fits the Think Tank Mirror-less mover 30i so the Mini fits no problem.

This is a maybe $80 bag tops by my memory maybe a bit less.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/mirrorlessmover30i.aspx

Fujifilm X100S
Aethon
Regular MemberPosts: 306
Like?
In reply to jimmyca1219, 9 months ago

jimmyca1219 wrote:

I'm using ONA Bowery to carry my x100, xpro1 with 1 lens setup.

That's exactly what I was looking at the Bowery for!

Can you put up a picture of what yours looks like please?

Lawrence Fleischer
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, 9 months ago

Hmmm.  Just took a look at the Think Tank Sub Urban bags on line.  The 30 and the 20.  They may just  fit the bill.  Small, but spacious with lots of pockets and can take an IPad Mini.  They may be the ones.  I just have to see if either can fit my XE1 with the kit lens attached and my 14mm and 55-200mm inside.

hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,146
Like?

I researched bags for months, went to NYC and tried every bag B&H carry. My criteria was well made, light, as small and future-proof as possible. I refuse to buy heavy canvas bags like ThinkTank and Billingham, they defeat the point of buying a small mirrorless camera.

I ended up with this bag: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=774765&is=REG&Q=&A=details Water resistant shell, affordable, great attention to details, just enough to fit XPro1 + 3-4 lenses. The only thing is I'm not sure it'd fit your zoom lens when mounted.

TexasBuyer
Regular MemberPosts: 166Gear list
Like?
In reply to R Neuschul, 9 months ago

R Neuschul wrote:

One thing which has been overlooked in all of this discussion is the overall weight of the bag itself.

I have about 5-6 different Billinghams of various sizes from the tiniest all the way to full backpack [all over 25 years old and still waterproof], a couple of Tenbas [also over 25 years old], a Domke or two and a few other oddball custom bags of various sizes; apart from the small Tenba and the small Billingham the weight of all these bags can be excessive when full and used for long periods - especially where the straps are poorly designed; with many cases it may be necessary to either replace the strap with a better one, or add a different shoulder pad such as the aircushion items from Optech.

Recently I looked at a couple of the Manfrotto bags at Calumet in London and compared them with equivalent sizes from Billingham and Domke; in particular I was checking the Manfotto Unica range. The relative empty weight is much lower when comparing size for size with other bags and the range has a built in [waterproof] tripod compartment. I suspect the Unicas range would probably be too small to take your full range of lenses, but it happily took my X-Pro plus the 18-55 and a couple of Nikon primes [24mm and 135mm] with just enough room for the X20 as well.

Re point made earlier about snug fitting bags: total agreement. When the bag is too snug there's great danger of battery drain.Also applies if you use one of Tim Isaacs' Thumbs Up grips; if the bag fitting is too tight you'll have problems.

In my own view a good bag that will handle anything more than a body and 2 lenses should also have the option to use a waist belt as well: this relieves some of the strain when attempting to move quickly and ensures you're not totally off balance; it's a useful half-way house to a backpack.

I totally agree about the waist belt option.  That is why I really liked my Think Tank Hubba Hubba Hiney bag which could accommodate by X-E1, 18-55 mm kit lens, 14mm prime, EF-X20 flash, filter, spare battery, and 4 memory cards.  The Hubba Hubba Hiney was compatible with ThinkTank's modular belt system.  Unfortunately, the 55-200mm kits greatly exceeded its capacity.

ryan2007
Like?

Hmmm. Just took a look at the Think Tank Sub Urban bags on line. The 30 and the 20. They may just fit the bill. Small, but spacious with lots of pockets and can take an IPad Mini. They may be the ones. I just have to see if either can fit my XE1 with the kit lens attached and my 14mm and 55-200mm inside.

For sake of bag specification the height spec on that mirrorless mover 30i is good for the 55-200 to fit upright.

If you will not need to carry the 55-200 I can tell you 100% the step down Mirrorless mover 20 will work with the XE-1 and Three prime lenses with one attached.

It is currently the biggest lens Fuji has so again the height of the 55-200. I would also advise a second bigger bag (at a point) if you have any plans for more lenses, They still have a few on the road map over next 8 months or so.

The 56 mm 1.2 and the 23 mm 1.4 on on the list.

Fujifilm X100S
viktoriskra
New MemberPosts: 13Gear list
Like?
In reply to volothamp, 9 months ago

volothamp wrote:

I have a Billingham Hadley Pro, and it's really wonderful.

I always wondered if it's really waterproof, though. I made a try using a glass of water, but I'm still not feeling safe under a heavy rain.

I use the Hadley Pro as an everyday messenger bag and got caught in a long-lasting torrential rain several times. Needless to say I'd happily take the bag out in these conditions again as it is totally waterproof. While the price is rather steep, you are buying an exquisite, timeless product. Recommended without any hesitations.

viktoriskra's gear list:viktoriskra's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS
Lawrence Fleischer
Like?
In reply to hellocrowley, 9 months ago

It's on my list now.  Thanks

Lawrence Fleischer
Like?
In reply to hellocrowley, 9 months ago

One other thing:  could an iPad mini fit into the front flap?

aman74
Senior MemberPosts: 2,767
Like?
In reply to Red5TX, 9 months ago

Red5TX wrote:

alexzn wrote:

ONA Bowery is probably the smallest, I am not sure if it can take the zoom height-wise, but its well-made and does not look like a camera bag.

Let's be honest: all of these bags look like camera bags to a thief with half a brain. When I first bought my Retro 5 I clung to the delusion that it didn't really look like a camera bag but that's not really true. The bad guys can spot any of these bags from a mile away and will know exactly what's in them.

He didn't say anything about thieves. Some people just don't want to look like a tourist.

Agreed about thieves though, but at this point that doesn't really matter either. Nowadays they aren't just looking for cameras with iPads, tablets, etc... being so predominately carried in bags. Any bag is a target, just like a purse.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads