* Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 272, 13 07 10 *

Started Jul 9, 2013 | Discussions
bofo777
Contributing MemberPosts: 593Gear list
Like?
Re: Some more from Day of the Deaths
In reply to Palin0_0, Jul 11, 2013

Palin...  Great pics and history behind them...Just a little more contrasts to make the colors pop more and they would perfect... John

bofo777's gear list:bofo777's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Zindanfel
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,387
Like?
Re: "No Littering"
In reply to Geoy, Jul 11, 2013

Geoy wrote:

Ladies and gentlemen...the hemisphere!. Geoy.

For me the scene has enough variety in it to spark initial interest, but it doesn't have legs, i.e., I'm not drawn to spend a lot of time in it.

A few possible reasons for this:

> Concrete work in lower right turns out to be a false leading line; it doesn't take me into some area of greater interest -- it just lies there, inert.

> Almost all the people face away, and yet few seem to look at the lovely architecture; in effect most cue the viewer that the dome is nothing special.

> The people don't help consolidate a theme. They're dressed similarly yet are in various separate clusters, lacking spatial or activity ties. Their diffusion reinforces a viewer's dissociation.

The framing seems pushed a little too high -- nipping heels at the bottom, expanse of ho-hum clouds above.

-- hide signature --

Zin

Zindanfel
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,387
Like?
Re: The Detroit Bridge
In reply to tinternaut, Jul 11, 2013

Colors are a treat and the subtle ladderly comparison of bridge and building in #1 is visually interesting.

The old showbiz trope, "Always leave them wanting more" could be said of both shots -- I'm wanting to see the whole bridge.

-- hide signature --

Zin

19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 12,496Gear list
Like?
In reply to tinternaut, Jul 11, 2013

Jason,

For the first:

1.  Well composed with bridge leading from lower right toward deck/landing structure and then the building in upper left.

2.  Nice colour and graphic detail with straight and curved lines.

3.  Good range of tones from dark to light.

4.  Interesting content.

Very nice, I like it a lot.

For the second:

Again nicely composed with good colour and graphic detail and nice tonal range.  Nice, but I like the first more.

Andrew

19andrew47
Like?
In reply to Palin0_0, Jul 11, 2013

Really too many to comment in detail on all of them.  The first, like the image you posted in last week's thread, is a very compelling scene which sets the background for the other images.  The colour and detail in the costumes and kites is striking and of great interest.  This must be a marvelous event to observe.

Things that might have been better: the light has caused a washout of colour in images 3 and 8.  Don't know if this is a result of backlight or lens pointing toward sun?

The colour here in number 5 seems more realistic for the skin tones than the image in last week's thread.  Would have been nice to see some images like this taken from the front of the people, up close like this one but I don't know how they might have felt about that.  In one of the images the participants seemed to have been posing for a couple of photographers so maybe it would be possible.

A great series to see.

Andrew

19andrew47
Like?
Re: Don't be Impatiens
In reply to bofo777, Jul 11, 2013

Well composed and colourful.  Nice detail in the central floral parts.  Nice backlight.  From the very close up nature it is not possible for me to tell this is an impatiens and looks rather like a petunia but that is rather immaterial.

A pleasant image.

Andrew

Geoy
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?
In reply to LouHolland, Jul 11, 2013

LouHolland wrote:

Hi Geoy,

What did you do to that your hemisphere and all people around and the pavement and also have so little good detail? This is a crop of a larger image of the area or a telephoto lens or there was a lot of noise that you had to work away?
It is an extremely attractive picture and has some special features / elements, but as it stands now it lacks the explicit detail and focus point. Everything is in focus and at the same time it is not. Can you tell us something more about it!

Lou

-

Geoy wrote:

Hi Lou,
thanks for taking an interest; below is the original, no change except for downsize. For my original post, I cropped to isolate the hemisphere, then a bit of toning and sharpening. If I did even more by eliminating the bottom 1/4, the group in the left foreground still gets in the way. I would be more than happy if you could improve upon it. Geoy.

Original, no change. Geoy.

Litter removed. Geoy.

Geoy
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?
In reply to Zindanfel, Jul 11, 2013

Zindanfel wrote:

Geoy wrote:

For me the scene has enough variety in it to spark initial interest, but it doesn't have legs, i.e., I'm not drawn to spend a lot of time in it.

A few possible reasons for this:

> Concrete work in lower right turns out to be a false leading line; it doesn't take me into some area of greater interest -- it just lies there, inert.

> Almost all the people face away, and yet few seem to look at the lovely architecture; in effect most cue the viewer that the dome is nothing special.

> The people don't help consolidate a theme. They're dressed similarly yet are in various separate clusters, lacking spatial or activity ties. Their diffusion reinforces a viewer's dissociation.

The framing seems pushed a little too high -- nipping heels at the bottom, expanse of ho-hum clouds above.

-- hide signature --

Zin

Hi Zin,
Thanks for your specific points. I'm enlightened, and I like your phrase "doesn't have any legs".

As you say, it just looks too busy and next time I will try for less of everything in the foreground. Geoy.

stephent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,403
Like?
Re: Where's Waldo?
In reply to Zindanfel, Jul 12, 2013

Hi mate, matches your link perfectly, The log looks alive, so many would never see this image.

Regards.

Stephen.

stephent
Like?
In reply to Geoy, Jul 12, 2013

Hi mate, don't worry about the people, that dome should provide many images, worth a reshoot.

Regards.

Stephen.

stephent
Like?
In reply to tinternaut, Jul 12, 2013

Hi mate, the first one for me, the white steel beam leads your eye to the building beyond.

Regards.

Stephen.

stephent
Like?
Re: Running Dennis
In reply to Fixxxer, Jul 12, 2013

Hi mate, yes a little front focus, other than that not much to change. Looks like the subject would be up for more shots.

Regards.

Stephen.

stephent
Like?
In reply to Palin0_0, Jul 12, 2013

Hi mate, nice collection the second one for me is the most interesting, fills the frame and leads your eye from left to right into the image.

Regards.

Stephen.

stephent
Like?
Re: Don't be Impatiens
In reply to bofo777, Jul 12, 2013

Hi mate, classic image great colour and framing.

Regards.

Stephen.

stephent
Like?
Group reply to Shopping...
In reply to 19andrew47, Jul 12, 2013

Hi everyone, sorry for the late replies, had a quick trip to see the Turner from the Tate exhibition. Well worth the trip.

I am glad you all found something in the image, the shapes and interplay of light caught my eye. I have another two to post over the next few weeks.

As for the sails they won't keep out the rain, but from the outside the idea was probably trying to copy the Sydney Opera House, not even close. But the inside is interesting.

Regards.

Stephen.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads