**** challenge #169 : architectural abstract - results ****

Started Jul 9, 2013 | Discussions
petermoons
Regular MemberPosts: 274
Like?
**** challenge #169 : architectural abstract - results ****
Jul 9, 2013

thank you all who took the time to participate.

we got off to a bit of a rocky start and i have to admit i was very close to throwing the towel at one point. i'm glad i didn't since then i'd have missed a couple of gems.

let's start with the entries that i don't consider as architectural abstracts. entries from : swimswithtrout, deepak kaw, sammy youssef, jomike, k5mitch, rosiesphoto, trixny, 40dee, priscilla messinger, jiri sedlacek mr, herve5 (i still stand by my claim that, for me, your subject is by far the most interesting of all shown here), sukotin and jkjond (though i'm glad you finally got round to processing that file).

i think john said it well, that an architectural abstract comes down to lines, geometry and shape. i can't really explain my workflow since i don't give it much thought in the first place, but when shooting together with some other photogs i do notice that i frequently am much closer to a building than the others. as if i, from the start, want to reduce the subject from all the "ballast" around it. to sort of de-complex it.

obviously, getting an interesting building in front of your lens is half the job and when you do, it's up to the photog to get the composition right. i find, in an architectural abstract it's not only important what's in the middle of the frame, but also how your achitectural abstract lines relate to the border and the corners of the frame. shooting an architectural abstract is very much a detail game.

subjects shown by robert fehnel, hobbiesarefun, pixd90, tarakanchik, rhlpetrus, cgs11, winniepoo, obsydian and joe huckleberry (joe, second shot is a much better architectural abstract) all have the potential to come up with good/great architectural abstracts.

another point i'd like to address, post processing is not the devil. i often hear photographers boast about getting the shot right straight out of the camera. i can understand that, i really do. but surely, playing/experimenting with contrast, brightness and why not colour balance won't send you to hell.

entries from james robertson (great example that you not always have to look for modern architecture to shoot an architectural abstract), rb0321, david a hamments and vittodigital (i've got a shot from the same building. i'll post it if you want to see it.) would all benefit from more thorough post processing.

okay, down to business. three entries stand out for me. makes for a very conveniently top three.

3rd place : cathedral caleidoscope by guilford

a very precisely framed shot of a very interesting subject. congrats.

2nd place : the lowry by ian bramham

1st place : front to back to front by david41

it really was a close call between these two. ian, i love how you composed this shot, how you processed it and how you presented it (wish more people would pay attention to presentation. so important.), but david, that photo is just perfectly framed (love how you let that arch go all the way down to the right side of the photo). i find it an intriguing shot. so many layers. i even became to like the brown tones (though i'd love to see a darkish b&w version).

david, challenge #170 is all yours.

p.s. if anybody wants some personal cc, just let me know. cheers, peter.

Canon EOS 40D Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jkjond
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,585
Like?
Re: **** challenge #169 : architectural abstract - results ****
In reply to petermoons, Jul 9, 2013

Excellent challenge, and one which I'd hope moves the game on.

An enjoyable summary and good winning shot. Congrats to all who met the criteria and to david41.

-- hide signature --

UK wedding photographer in the Lake District
http://www.johnleech-weddingphotography.co.uk
For my landscapes and fine art photography:
http://www.johnleechstudio.co.uk

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Obsydian
Forum MemberPosts: 96Gear list
Like?

Congratulations david41 and many thanks to petermoons.  I thoroughly enjoyed participating in this challenge as you got me doing something I've never done before.

Obsydian's gear list:Obsydian's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +12 more
VittoDigital
Contributing MemberPosts: 740
Like?

Peter, thanks a lot, a very enjoiable Challenge with a very nice topic
Congrats to David for the winning photo and to all the participants.

Cheers

Vitto

PS:  "(i've got a shot from the same building. i'll post it if you want to see it.)"

Lol, did you mean something like this? :

-- hide signature --

Lol, I need an upgrade, my Nikon D6x is a too limited gear!

petermoons
Like?
In reply to VittoDigital, Jul 9, 2013

you've seen it before?

petermoons
Like?
In reply to Obsydian, Jul 9, 2013

delighted you took up the challenge. thank you.

VittoDigital
Contributing MemberPosts: 740
Like?

Yup, after your post about the results I checked your profile and found the photo you were referring to. Then, looking at my session at MB Museum, I found the corresponding pic.

Funny, isn't it?

Take care, and thanks again for the good job!

Vitto

-- hide signature --

Lol, I need an upgrade, my Nikon D6x is a too limited gear!

winniepoo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,680
Like?
In reply to VittoDigital, Jul 10, 2013

Congrats David41. Thanks petermoons for such a great challenge .  

david41
Regular MemberPosts: 477
Like?
In reply to petermoons, Jul 10, 2013

I am honoured to have been selected as the winner.. wow!

Please be patient and I will issue a new challenge in the next 24 hours.. you have caught me in the middle of a very busy business trip.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
David41
WSSA member #271
'We are all dying of slow oxygen poisoning.. it takes about 85 years'.. I hope!

guilford
Regular MemberPosts: 174
Like?

Wow.  With so many excellent images submitted, I am honored (and surprised) to make 3rd place.  Thanks for a a fun and inspiring challenge.

ianbramham
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,227Gear list
Like?

Thanks for running a great challenge Peter and congratulations to David for a well deserved win!

Ian
Fine Art Photography Website: http://ianbramham.com/

ianbramham's gear list:ianbramham's gear list
Nikon D800
newbrain
Regular MemberPosts: 137Gear list
Like?
In reply to petermoons, Jul 12, 2013

Congratulations to the winner and the runner-ups, and to petermoons for coming up with a very interesting challenge.

This is the first one I took part to, so a great thank you to the 3 nice people who gave my picture a thumb-up!

newbrain's gear list:newbrain's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +3 more
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 22,921Gear list
Like?
A few comments
In reply to jkjond, Jul 17, 2013

jkjond wrote:

Excellent challenge, and one which I'd hope moves the game on.

An enjoyable summary and good winning shot. Congrats to all who met the criteria and to david41.

-- hide signature --

UK wedding photographer in the Lake District
http://www.johnleech-weddingphotography.co.uk
For my landscapes and fine art photography:
http://www.johnleechstudio.co.uk

Indeed, very interesting. I liked your image John, and I missed the result by one place (I gave it to Ian). I still like Ian's image the most among all posted, even though that 3rd place is also quite interesting and the treatment matches the subject so well, renascentism x renascentism, very nice. Ian's also has the same appeal, treatment matches subject perfectly. Architecture will always be a great photographic theme, and the first place shows some unexpected viewpoint. Good job Peter.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads