Flashes for a Nikon D5100? Yongnuo?

Started Jul 9, 2013 | Discussions
Khrista
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
Flashes for a Nikon D5100? Yongnuo?
Jul 9, 2013

What is a good flash for the Nikon D5100 that can be off the camera? I've been looking and have seen the Yongnuo's recommended for beginners (that's me pretty much).  I've found the following are compatible, but not sure which is really the best for the D5100 as I know it has some limited capacity in regards to flashes.  I'm wanting a flash for portraits and some grow into skills.

Yongnuo YN560II

Yongnuo YN565ex

Yongnuo YN468II

I've looked at the actual Nikon 700 and 910 flashes, but they seem expensive for what the D5100 is able to do compared to other Nikons and I'm not ready to switch Nikon body's yet.  Totally open to other suggestions, just that the yongnuo is what kept coming up on searches.

Thanks!

Khrista

Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
kgbruce01
Senior MemberPosts: 1,245
Like?
Re: Flashes for a Nikon D5100? Yongnuo?
In reply to Khrista, Jul 9, 2013

Yongnuo flashes are fine. Get one that you can trigger off camera, and has manually adjustable power. Good luck, and read the Strobist site five times in a row.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hisma
Regular MemberPosts: 154
Like?
In reply to kgbruce01, Jul 9, 2013

take a look at the 568EX as well.  It's their more recent model.  It supports HSS and i-TTL, unlike the other models you posted.

If you want to trigger it off camera, you will need a commander as well.  Look at the YN-622N flash trigger, as your camera does not support built-in commander mode.

Khrista
Like?
In reply to kgbruce01, Jul 10, 2013

kgbruce01 wrote:

Yongnuo flashes are fine. Get one that you can trigger off camera, and has manually adjustable power. Good luck, and read the Strobist site five times in a row.

lol @ the 5 times, but that is the truth I've learned with learning how to do better photographs, etc. Bookmarked that site. Thank you.

Khrista
Like?
In reply to Hisma, Jul 10, 2013

Hisma wrote:

take a look at the 568EX as well. It's their more recent model. It supports HSS and i-TTL, unlike the other models you posted.

If you want to trigger it off camera, you will need a commander as well. Look at the YN-622N flash trigger, as your camera does not support built-in commander mode.

Missed the 568, thanks.  Looks like by the time I look at doing the 568ex and a commander that I'm about up to the cost of the Nikon SB700.   What would the HSS and I-TTL allow me to do compared to a flash without them?

Thank you!

Khrista

gunlbum
Junior MemberPosts: 42Gear list
Like?

For the price of a new 568EX you can buy a Nikon SB-600 second hand - another option.

gunlbum's gear list:gunlbum's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Hisma
Like?
In reply to Khrista, Jul 10, 2013

Khrista wrote:

Hisma wrote:

take a look at the 568EX as well. It's their more recent model. It supports HSS and i-TTL, unlike the other models you posted.

If you want to trigger it off camera, you will need a commander as well. Look at the YN-622N flash trigger, as your camera does not support built-in commander mode.

Missed the 568, thanks. Looks like by the time I look at doing the 568ex and a commander that I'm about up to the cost of the Nikon SB700. What would the HSS and I-TTL allow me to do compared to a flash without them?

Thank you!

Khrista

HSS allows you to use your flash at shutter speeds up to 1/8000s. Without it you're limited to 1/250, or possibly lower (not sure what the limit is on D5100, it's 1/250 on d7100).

You'd need a commander anyway whether you get the SB700 or not, if you want to do off-camera flash. The 568EX is an extra $100, but the versatility of HSS is worth it imo. If you can't justify the need for it however, go with one of the cheaper options. As was mentioned, a used nikon is another viable option... though if you've seen my posts recently you'll see i've had wonderful experience w/ the 568, so that's what I'll recommend.

drsonic
Regular MemberPosts: 106
Like?

AFAIK D5100 can't do HSS anyway so moot point

Hisma
Like?
In reply to drsonic, Jul 10, 2013

really?  That's too bad!  Okay then, the 568 wouldn't be worth the added cost.

jquagga
Contributing MemberPosts: 595
Like?

i-TTL however may be worth the additional cost to you.  Without it, the flash will always have to have it's power manually set.  Which can be fine if you're good at doing the flash math in your head or if you're using the flash externally on flash stands.  i-TTL will let the camera meter the flash on your behalf and determine the power level.  That's useful if you're running and gunning (or just want the flash to work like the pop up does).

Personally I'd want at least 1 flash to support TTL.  I don't use it for portraits or still life, but it's handy to have at family gatherings and times I want to shoot on the go.

kgbruce01
Like?

Hisma wrote:

You'd need a commander anyway whether you get the SB700 or not, if you want to do off-camera flash.

No, sorry, this is completely wrong information. You do not need a commander, at all, to do off camera flash. Hisma needs to read the Strobist site five times in a row before trying to give out information.

kgbruce01
Like?

Hisma wrote:

No,you do not need a commander. I'd suggest looking into the subject before giving bad advice like this.

Daisy AU
Senior MemberPosts: 1,561Gear list
Like?

Khrista wrote:

What is a good flash for the Nikon D5100 that can be off the camera? I've been looking and have seen the Yongnuo's recommended for beginners (that's me pretty much). I've found the following are compatible, but not sure which is really the best for the D5100 as I know it has some limited capacity in regards to flashes. I'm wanting a flash for portraits and some grow into skills.

Yongnuo YN560II

Yongnuo YN565ex

Yongnuo YN468II

I've looked at the actual Nikon 700 and 910 flashes, but they seem expensive for what the D5100 is able to do compared to other Nikons and I'm not ready to switch Nikon body's yet. Totally open to other suggestions, just that the yongnuo is what kept coming up on searches.

Thanks!

Khrista

With the D5100, the SB-700 (or above), doesn't need the separate SU-800 commander.  The SB-700 (and above) will act as a commander and remote.  More info:

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9520/~/nikon-creative-lighting-system-(cls)

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Daisy AU - Brisbane
( Nikon D7000 and V1 )
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ney_images/

Daisy AU's gear list:Daisy AU's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +8 more
Hisma
Like?
In reply to Daisy AU, Jul 10, 2013

I knew the SB700 was a commander, but I thought to use it off-camera, you'd need a commander to trigger it. Obviously, using the SB700 connected to the body, you could use it tas a commander to trigger other slaves. But, didn't know you could trigger the SB700 off-camera without something "commanding" it to flash.  Her question was what she could use as an off-camera flash, not connected to the body.

For my own knowledge, how would that work?

Hisma
Like?

kgbruce01 wrote:

Hisma wrote:

No,you do not need a commander. I'd suggest looking into the subject before giving bad advice like this.

d5100 does not have a built-in commander.  If she wants an off camera flash, and the camera does not have a commander built in, how would you trigger it?  If she bought an SB700, she'd have a commander, but she'd need to buy another flash to use as a remote to use off-camera.

I may be wrong, but instead of a smug reply, you could have given what you consider the correct advice.

DukeCC
Regular MemberPosts: 206Gear list
Like?

I'm with Hisma on this one--waiting for the non-smug explanation, too.

To the OP--getting one flash with iTTL is a good idea.  Camera-mounted, you can hand the camera off to someone in full auto, and they can take great pictures with it.  And you can still use it in manual, of course.  That said, manual flash is fun too.  If you move into a multi-flash setup with light modifiers and such, that is what you will be doing anyway.

DukeCC's gear list:DukeCC's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +2 more
Khrista
Like?

kgbruce01 wrote:

I've been reading and trying to understand this. So off camera, looks like a few options? Reading the strobist site, there's the external sync cord adapter  http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101-start-here.html   so you can sync via that way rather than using a commander?  A commander/pocket wizard would give you wireless?   Which, for what I'm thinking of doing for the most part that would require off camera a cord is fine for now. So $30-$40 for the kit from what I read or eventually look at something like the pocket wizard?  Definitely need the TTL though.  And yep, need to read that 101 a few times.

Thanks!

Khrista

Hisma
Like?

Khrista wrote:

kgbruce01 wrote:

I've been reading and trying to understand this. So off camera, looks like a few options? Reading the strobist site, there's the external sync cord adapter http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101-start-here.html so you can sync via that way rather than using a commander? A commander/pocket wizard would give you wireless? Which, for what I'm thinking of doing for the most part that would require off camera a cord is fine for now. So $30-$40 for the kit from what I read or eventually look at something like the pocket wizard? Definitely need the TTL though. And yep, need to read that 101 a few times.

Thanks!

Khrista

Okay, some people here seem to think I'm giving bunk advice, but I'm going to continue on anyway.

You will need more than just a sync cord if you want to use TTL. TTL will require a hotshoe adapter (like the one I posted).

There ARE cheaper adapters available, but make sure you buy one that supports TTL. There are cheap hot shoe adapters that only support manual flash. Read the reviews before you buy and ensure that TTL is supported.

Also note that if you want to eventually control multiple flashes, you will need a system like the one I linked you to earlier.

Read here, in the section "triggering automatic TTL flash":

http://www.scantips.com/lights/trigger.html

By the way, I saw there are some other yongnuo flashes that support TTL other than the one I mentioned. The YN-565 for example, which is $50 cheaper. Now that you have a better understanding of the systems, you can decide what is best for you within your budget.

I really don't understand the rudeness I am receiving when I am legitimately trying to help. I AM new so I may make mistakes, but I've also done my research as I was in the same situation as you and other new people, and am merely relaying my limited experiences.

If I AM saying the wrong thing however, correct me, so we all learn something, instead of just creating hostility.

jquagga
Contributing MemberPosts: 595
Like?

You're correct in that you'd need 2 SB-700's (or a SB-900/910, SU-800, Debao SU-800) in order to have one unit as a commander and one unit as a remote CLS flash.

You can use a SB-700 as a manual slave, either optically with SU-4 mode or with a wireless trigger.

So that, I believe, is the cause of the "discussion" you're having with the other poster about smugness. He's right that you can certainly use a SB-700 as an off-camera slave with a D5100 (I've done it plenty of times). I believe what you're looking for is to use a SB-700 off-camera with TTL metering. That, the D5100 will not do (without a commander as you pointed out). So semantics really (not intended to be rude - just explaining!).

For the OP, I think it depends on what exactly you're planning to do. If you're setting up umbrella's on lightstands and manually setting the flash power, then the YN-560 II should work fine. You can buy, what, 3 for the price of the SB-700? The catch is you're manually going to set / balance all of the flashes. That's not that hard, but you're going to have to learn a bit. I'd read through the lighting 101 course at http://strobist.blogspot.com/  It'll cover the basics.

All of that said, there are real advantages to having at least 1 flash which can do TTL metering (at least on camera).  It gives you "super-pop-up flash".

Anyway, lets go through the yongnuo options as the OP seems to want affordability.  These are based on my understandings from shopping through their flashes, but I've only ever used the 560 II (and the SB-700).

560 II - Full Manual, but high power.  You're always going to set the power on this but you can use it as an optical slave. GN58

468 II - Supports TTL.  The camera will meter and control it on the hotshoe.  You can use it remotely, but it has to be set for manual remotely.  GN 33

565EX - Support TTL on camera and IR iTTL so you can use it as a TTL slave.  It does not have commander ability (to control remote flashes).  No HSS (but you don't have that with the D5100 either).  GN 58

568EX - Supports TTL, remote iTTL and commander.  Supports HSS.  GN58

SB-700 TTL, remote i-TTL and command.  Supports HSS but your D5100 doesn't.  GN28.

So were it me today, the 468 is tempting.  If I thought I was going to do lots of remote iTTL control, then I'd consider starting with the 565EX which has considerably more power (knowing that I'd have to add a 568EX some day to have a controller on the camera - or maybe a Debao SU-800).  Or get the 568EX and go nuts!  Or buy like 4 560 IIs.

Hisma
Like?
In reply to jquagga, Jul 10, 2013

jquagga wrote:

You're correct in that you'd need 2 SB-700's (or a SB-900/910, SU-800, Debao SU-800) in order to have one unit as a commander and one unit as a remote CLS flash.

You can use a SB-700 as a manual slave, either optically with SU-4 mode or with a wireless trigger.

So that, I believe, is the cause of the "discussion" you're having with the other poster about smugness. He's right that you can certainly use a SB-700 as an off-camera slave with a D5100 (I've done it plenty of times). I believe what you're looking for is to use a SB-700 off-camera with TTL metering. That, the D5100 will not do (without a commander as you pointed out). So semantics really (not intended to be rude - just explaining!).

For the OP, I think it depends on what exactly you're planning to do. If you're setting up umbrella's on lightstands and manually setting the flash power, then the YN-560 II should work fine. You can buy, what, 3 for the price of the SB-700? The catch is you're manually going to set / balance all of the flashes. That's not that hard, but you're going to have to learn a bit. I'd read through the lighting 101 course at http://strobist.blogspot.com/ It'll cover the basics.

All of that said, there are real advantages to having at least 1 flash which can do TTL metering (at least on camera). It gives you "super-pop-up flash".

Anyway, lets go through the yongnuo options as the OP seems to want affordability. These are based on my understandings from shopping through their flashes, but I've only ever used the 560 II (and the SB-700).

560 II - Full Manual, but high power. You're always going to set the power on this but you can use it as an optical slave. GN58

468 II - Supports TTL. The camera will meter and control it on the hotshoe. You can use it remotely, but it has to be set for manual remotely. GN 33

565EX - Support TTL on camera and IR iTTL so you can use it as a TTL slave. It does not have commander ability (to control remote flashes). No HSS (but you don't have that with the D5100 either). GN 58

568EX - Supports TTL, remote iTTL and commander. Supports HSS. GN58

SB-700 TTL, remote i-TTL and command. Supports HSS but your D5100 doesn't. GN28.

So were it me today, the 468 is tempting. If I thought I was going to do lots of remote iTTL control, then I'd consider starting with the 565EX which has considerably more power (knowing that I'd have to add a 568EX some day to have a controller on the camera - or maybe a Debao SU-800). Or get the 568EX and go nuts! Or buy like 4 560 IIs.

That is an excellent response, thank you!

I do think there was a problem with semantics. I just did not appreciate the tone, especially since he didn't even explain why I was wrong in his eyes... only that I was wrong.

You summed up the options as well as anyone could.

The only correction I would make is the 568 does not support commander mode.  It does support HSS however, which sets it apart from the other yongnuo flash options.  That is why I suggested the YN-622C adapter, as it can trigger the 568 off camera and maintain TTL capability.  You could get it all in one with an SB700, which may not be a bad option if you plan to add more flashes down the road.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads