Can a lens be too pwerful for a camera

Started Jul 9, 2013 | Discussions
CShell12
Forum MemberPosts: 53Gear list
Like?
Jul 9, 2013

Right I know I haven't put that very well so forgive me.

I have the A55 with a 70-300g and 70-400g lens.

When I have the A55 with the 70-300 the images look great, but when I put the 70-400g lens on they look worse.

I am wondering if the 70-400g is, if you like, too powerful for the sensor, too much resolution for it capable to handle and would it be better on a full frame sensor?

Or have I got a crap copy of the the lens

Cheers

CShell12's gear list:CShell12's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +4 more
Sony SLT-A55
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JimmyMelbourne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,694Gear list
Like?
Re: Can a lens be too pwerful for a camera
In reply to CShell12, Jul 9, 2013

The 70 400 demands more attention to the photographer skill. You could have a bad copy or you may not be using it to its full potential.

JimmyMelbourne's gear list:JimmyMelbourne's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chimere
Senior MemberPosts: 1,074
Like?

May be you can post some samples, so we see the "worse", can judge what your problem might be ?

Chimere

GJWhite
Regular MemberPosts: 120Gear list
Like?

Had very similar problem, have both those lenses, a couple of years ago I was getting terrible results with it on my A700, turned out to be the Hoya Protection filter, a god one on the 70/300 and a bad one on the 70/400, they looked OK to the eye.  Now leave them off and great results, just a thought.

-- hide signature --

Gordon White - New Age Pensioner - "Get in the Slow Lane of Life, it's much more fun"

GJWhite's gear list:GJWhite's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD +13 more
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 4,387Gear list
Like?
In reply to GJWhite, Jul 9, 2013

GJWhite wrote:

Had very similar problem, have both those lenses, a couple of years ago I was getting terrible results with it on my A700, turned out to be the Hoya Protection filter, a god one on the 70/300 and a bad one on the 70/400, they looked OK to the eye. Now leave them off and great results, just a thought.

-- hide signature --

Gordon White - New Age Pensioner - "Get in the Slow Lane of Life, it's much more fun"

The 70-400G works fine on the A55. Its just a much bigger, heavier lens needing skill to extract the full potential.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
CShell12
Forum MemberPosts: 53Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sonyshine, Jul 9, 2013

Sonyshine wrote:

GJWhite wrote:

Had very similar problem, have both those lenses, a couple of years ago I was getting terrible results with it on my A700, turned out to be the Hoya Protection filter, a god one on the 70/300 and a bad one on the 70/400, they looked OK to the eye. Now leave them off and great results, just a thought.

-- hide signature --

The 70-400G works fine on the A55. Its just a much bigger, heavier lens needing skill to extract the full potential.

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

The shots that I took that I wasn't pleased about where done using a Monopod, however, I don't have the steadiest of hands so I did some shots using a tripod.

Theses where much better, but as a few have said you need skill using it to get the best results, seems I'm going to have to keep practicing.

So it looks like with they weight, and the shaky hands, I'm going to have to use it on a tripod to get the best results

CShell12's gear list:CShell12's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +4 more
Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,279Gear list
Like?

CShell12 wrote:

Sonyshine wrote:

GJWhite wrote:

-- hide signature --

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

The shots that I took that I wasn't pleased about where done using a Monopod, however, I don't have the steadiest of hands so I did some shots using a tripod.

Theses where much better, but as a few have said you need skill using it to get the best results, seems I'm going to have to keep practicing.

So it looks like with they weight, and the shaky hands, I'm going to have to use it on a tripod to get the best results

Look up my recent, very long thread about my 70-400 - I seem to be getting better results with no filter attached, but using the 70-400 takes practice and I still need to use 1/1000 shutter at the moment to get the best out of mine.

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansell Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A57 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
busch
Forum ProPosts: 29,094Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marco Cinnirella, Jul 9, 2013

Marco Cinnirella wrote:

(clip)

Look up my recent, very long thread about my 70-400 - I seem to be getting better results with no filter attached, but using the 70-400 takes practice and I still need to use 1/1000 shutter at the moment to get the best out of mine.

Marco, I shoot most of my aircraft shots handheld at around 1/350 and get pretty good results IMO. Examples:

-- hide signature --

Busch
Take the scenic route! Life is too short to do otherwise.
My Photos

busch's gear list:busch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +14 more
Marco Cinnirella
Like?
In reply to busch, Jul 10, 2013

busch wrote:

Marco Cinnirella wrote:

(clip)

Marco, I shoot most of my aircraft shots handheld at around 1/350 and get pretty good results IMO. Examples:

-- hide signature --

Busch
Take the scenic route! Life is too short to do otherwise.
My Photos

Hey Busch - undeniably great shots - it must be those fighter pilot nerves of steel and steady hand - my nerves are shot to shreds and I have shaky hands, so maybe my high shutter speed requirements are different to those of the average person...

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansell Adams.

headfirst
Contributing MemberPosts: 584Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marco Cinnirella, Jul 10, 2013

of course it could also be that your 70-400 is back/front focusing on that body (which unfortunately does not have micro-adjust).

headfirst's gear list:headfirst's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony SLT-A77 +7 more
Marco Cinnirella
Like?
In reply to headfirst, Jul 10, 2013

headfirst wrote:

of course it could also be that your 70-400 is back/front focusing on that body (which unfortunately does not have micro-adjust).

Yes, should be easy to test for that, though nothing you can do other than upgrade to an a77/a99 or get Sony to re-calibrate the lens to your camera

-- hide signature --

seilerbird666
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101
Like?
In reply to CShell12, Jul 10, 2013

I have owned an a55 since they first came out and I have taken thousands of shots with my Tamron 200-500 at the 500mm end so I know for fact that the 70-400 is not too powerful for the camera.

Your problem is definitely too slow of a shutter speed. You should not use anything less than 1/1000th of a second. If the light is too dim for that shutter speed then put the lens away.

-- hide signature --

My photos:
picasaweb.google.com/seilerbird

RichV
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,898Gear list
Like?
One other thing you can try
In reply to CShell12, Jul 10, 2013

As mentioned elsewhere, you might have a focus alignment issue (in addition to a stability problem). Maybe a good way to try it is to shoot the same subject (one with detail to it and good lighting) from the tripod - one shot with AF and another with magnified manual focus. While the magnified MF should always look better (relative to distance and object characteristics), if there's a huge difference then you should look to further testing for back/front focus. Also realize that if your style include focus-recompose, you could lose some accuracy, depending on subject distance and angle.

-- hide signature --

Rich

RichV's gear list:RichV's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 50mm F1.4 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads