Next NEX $4000.00

Started Jul 9, 2013 | Discussions
cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?
Re: Next NEX $4000.00
In reply to stick25, Jul 10, 2013

I think the body will cost around $3200. $4000 might be the "kit" price with a new lens of some sort.

Anyone who expects it to be cheaper than the RX1 is kidding themselves. It'll likely have:

- Faster AF

- Higher framerate

- Built-in EVF

- Wifi, apps, etc.

Not to mention the "interchangeable lens premium." Also, I'd expect that the lenses will all be at or over the $1000 mark, and initially at least probably all be Zeiss-branded.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,554Gear list
Like?
Re: SAR
In reply to ET2, Jul 10, 2013

ET2 wrote:

cosmonaut wrote:

http://www.cameraegg.org/sony-full-frame-nex-camera-to-be-announced-within-2-months/

That's what it says. Wow.

The guy copied the rumor from SAR, even though SAR only said higher than $3,000. Looks like someone made up $4,0000

It has to do RAW and 4K video to justify 4K price

Right. You can take the rumor sites with the proverbial grain of salt.

The next guy who publishes the story will say it will cost $5000.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
RichRMA
Contributing MemberPosts: 777Gear list
Like?
In reply to cosmonaut, Jul 10, 2013

Will be interesting to see how large it is.  If they truly break the mold and release a compact FF camera (as opposed to that silly fixed-lens one) then there maybe be people willing to pay $1000 more than a Nikon D800 for it.

RichRMA's gear list:RichRMA's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Pentax K-01 Olympus OM-D E-M5
parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,666
Like?
Re: Price of FF mirrorless
In reply to Section10, Jul 10, 2013

Section10 wrote:

No, the price of a FF mirrorless is not 'just over half' the only other one. You're referring to Leica which is wildly known for being overpriced and you're forgetting RX1 which is mirrorless and FF for $2800.

In theory, If you take an RX1 ($2800) and take away the lens (-$1000) add an EVF (+$400) you're left with a $2200 body. If they make it even better with stabilization etc..it will add to the cost. Why a FF would NECESSARILY be $4000 is out of theory, most FF bodies start at $2800+- actually...mirrorless can justifiably be more for the "new technology" part....so I'd guess around $3200.

But at $4000 for a small size FF, the RX1 will reign. I'd rather pay for an RX1 with a perfect lens than $1200 and no lens at all.

I think you are replying to another post, not to mine

parallaxproblem
Like?
Re: Typical Sony
In reply to docvale, Jul 10, 2013

docvale wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

docvale wrote:

Since this is a rumor, it has to be accepted cum grano salis.

$4000 is a lot of money, but, as someone else's already posted, it's a tad more than half the price of the only other FF mirrorless around. No surprise if the hypothetical FF Nex were more expensive than a D600 or a 6D...

I disagree and think the price mentioned is a surprise, and unjustified

I agree it is unjustified from the "buyer perspective". I wouldn't be surprised if they proposed an insane price, though.

Me neither.  There seems to be a 'new thinking' at Sony recently in this respect

Having said that, the RX1 seems to have sold quite well in spite of a rather hefty price tag so maybe they feel they will also be able to shift this one?

the target of such a product would be to compete with Leica, thus it should come with relatively compact primes (spanning between 15 and 90mm) rather than long range zooms.

Leica is a company that simply sticks their name on a Panasonic compact camera and then immediately ups the price by several hundred dollars - and still gets people buying it!

Nobody can 'compete' with that. Likewise basing prices on those that Leica charge is not realistic other than recognising that you need to be 'much cheaper'

The Leica M is NOT a rebranded Lumix. It's overpriced, terribly, but for many photographers that camera and those lenses are the best out there.

Of course!  I was talking about their P&S cameras (which are, or at least were, rebranded Lumix) and just using the example to show how Leica can more or less chose the price for what they sell.  I guess Ferrarri and many other luxury brands are similar in this respect

Anyway, who say's this camera (if it is not just a rumour) is going to have any matching lenses - the VG900 doesn't and owners are expected to buy an Alpha adaptor and lenses from that system! Sony hasn't been particularly enthusiastic about supporting the NEX line with lenses since the system was launched so it would be a (welcome) surprise if they changed this attitude for any new FF model...

If the FF Nex (if it'll exist, sometimes) needed an adaptor to get A-mount lenses or nothing, would be a loser.

It's what they did with the VG-900.  Sony have said their future cameras will offer support for both mounts...

I'm not saying they will do this, but I think it's possible

If the first FF NEX is released at this price then I guess it's more a 'Statement of intent' than a product they expect to sell well.  As such supporting lenses may be sheduled for later with the first buyers of this body being the Leica 'M' and similar lens owners you mentioned earlier...

evoprox
Senior MemberPosts: 1,122Gear list
Like?

I have no need for a FF NEX at the moment but can't wait to see what lens mount it will have.

evoprox's gear list:evoprox's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
parallaxproblem
Like?
In reply to stick25, Jul 10, 2013

stick25 wrote:

NEX maybe were born to provide compactness. But NEX is also following the path of all electronics, everything gets smaller. I don't believe it will be long before you see a Micro-SD slot in a NEX. FF cameras will follow the same path as all electronics. There are limitations on how small a lens can be and still provide IQ in relation to the size of the sensor. Larger lenses are necessary to put enough light on a FF sensor. So as long as there larger sensor, even as the camera gets smaller around them, you will still need the same size lens. Larger lenses are also necessary if you want to increase your reach. NEX is the only camera system I own and I don't have any problem putting a large lens on it to get the shot I want(I wish Sony would hurry up and come out with their E mount lens-mapped xx-300mm lens). Eventually as IQ and pixel density increases on all sized sensors there will diminishing returns on larger sensor and the larger formats will fade away and with them large lenses. It is inevitably, all electronics get smaller. The question of investing in FF lenses is how long will the fade take and I would guess you have to add in, how long will adapters stave off the death of the FF lens. IMO the top APS-C sensor are already starting to make FF unnecessary.

I don't think FF lenses will fade away:

1. FF lenses offer more subject isolation via narrower DOF which may be a good or bad thing depending on what you want to do

2. Full frame sensors will always offer better resolution and noise peformance than their smaller bretherin, assuming they all use the same level of technology

3. Most current mounts support full-frame sensors.  How likely is it that these mounts will vanish as long as the camera manufacturers survive?

4. A Sony NEX body with a full frame sensor in it doesn't need to be physically any bigger than one with an APS-C sensor inside.  It's only a matter of time before all NEX bodies have a full-frame sensor inside (though how much time is a good question)

5. Imagine an oversized sensor which covers the 44mm 'Full Frame' image circle...  you could use it with both FF and APS-C lenses and have any aspect ratio you wanted without losing resolution.  There would never be a need to move such a camera into 'portrait' orientation as the sensor could do this for you

6. P&S cameras are increasingly under threat from mobile phones.  Discrete cameras will need to offer something 'special' in order to be purchased separately, and (more importanty) actually physically carried around and used by their owners

As sensor costs drop I suspect we will see more FF sensors in cameras, and more FF lenses to support them...   APS-C is the format I suspect is under threat (and Micro-Four Thirds, eventually)

RichRMA
Contributing MemberPosts: 777Gear list
Like?
Re: so, about those primative dSLRs
In reply to tko, Jul 10, 2013

Mirrorbox, complex prism, first surface mirror, mechanism to move it, plus all the problems we see associated with DSLR's when it comes to accurate focus.  It's only a matter of time before they are gone.

RichRMA's gear list:RichRMA's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Pentax K-01 Olympus OM-D E-M5
tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,118Gear list
Like?

Considering that I don't like very much the nex ecosystem, for its ui, the size of the lenses and the quality of them, I wouldn't invest that sum in this ff camera.

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +12 more
Adrian Van
Regular MemberPosts: 374Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX Line is both in still photo and professional camcorder now
In reply to viking79, Jul 10, 2013

viking79 wrote:

whtchocla7e wrote:

The only other FF mirrorless camera is over $7k.

$4k is a good price.

The NEX VG900 (full frame mirrorless) is about $3000. I would think $4000 is pretty steep.

Eric

The Nex VG900 is a dedicated video camera which also has FF sensor and can shoots stills alongside video. In the world of professional video a $3000 camera is around entry to mid level pro camcorder, ask any full time video pro. Sony is using the NEX model name to add to its large sensor video cameras (that are dslr and camcorder hybrids, but with videographer professionals mainly in mind).

The Sony NEX EA50UH is a pro camcorder (with 16MP APSC sensor) at US $3899 with 18-200mm lens movie servozoom included. It will take all the E-Mount lenses and A-mount Lenses with an adaptor with auto focusing. Incredible feature controls, but designed for event videographer in mind. Will also take stills photos at 16MP.

The Sony FF A99 is around US $2800 but not a Nex.

So what is this $4000 FF NEX camera, made for still photography, or for designed for video (like above) as main function? Will this be Nex-9 with great lens combo for close to $4000. Not doubting it, as Sony likes to have some upscale still cameras like RX1 at $2800 new, or the possible rumoured Nex-9 (FF compact size) rumoured at $3000 for body only if that is the one you are looking at.

Adrian Van's gear list:Adrian Van's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G
Section10
Contributing MemberPosts: 650Gear list
Like?
Re: Price of FF mirrorless
In reply to parallaxproblem, Jul 10, 2013

parallaxproblem wrote:

Section10 wrote:

No, the price of a FF mirrorless is not 'just over half' the only other one. You're referring to Leica which is wildly known for being overpriced and you're forgetting RX1 which is mirrorless and FF for $2800.

In theory, If you take an RX1 ($2800) and take away the lens (-$1000) add an EVF (+$400) you're left with a $2200 body. If they make it even better with stabilization etc..it will add to the cost. Why a FF would NECESSARILY be $4000 is out of theory, most FF bodies start at $2800+- actually...mirrorless can justifiably be more for the "new technology" part....so I'd guess around $3200.

But at $4000 for a small size FF, the RX1 will reign. I'd rather pay for an RX1 with a perfect lens than $1200 and no lens at all.

I think you are replying to another post, not to mine

lol,

Yes unfortunately theres no Reply To Thread under the last comment so we just hit Reply rather than go back to original page.

Typically if it doesn't sound anything like a response to the last comment its assumed its a reply to the thread.

Section10's gear list:Section10's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1R Sony Alpha NEX-5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +2 more
Adrian Van
Regular MemberPosts: 374Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX Line is both in still photo and professional camcorder now
In reply to Adrian Van, Jul 10, 2013

I checked the rumour acticles and one of the earlier posts said between $3000 to $4000 for the next (likely named) NEX 9 at FF sensor size. Name not confirmed yet.

Adrian Van's gear list:Adrian Van's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G
captura
Like?

You said, " FF lenses offer more subject isolation via narrower DOF which may be a good or bad thing depending on what you want to do"

- but a FF lens on an APS-C sensor will always behave as though it were an APS-C -designed lens.

You may not be aware that the DSLR SLT bodies are being replaced with a mirrorless design for next year. (or so they say.)

Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
parallaxproblem
Like?
In reply to captura, Jul 10, 2013

captura wrote:

You said, " FF lenses offer more subject isolation via narrower DOF which may be a good or bad thing depending on what you want to do"

- but a FF lens on an APS-C sensor will always behave as though it were an APS-C -designed lens.

Yes, I meant FF lenses using an FF sensor

You may not be aware that the DSLR SLT bodies are being replaced with a mirrorless design for next year. (or so they say.)

I did read that...   and I'm wondering if this rumoured camera is in fact pencilled up as one of those replacements

Selling it as just a body with an alpha adaptor included (as they do with the VG900) would make it a 'sort-of' alpha camera which can also take existing APS-C NEX lenses (in 'crop' mode) or lenses of any other mount via an appropriate adaptor... which I guess is also the idea behind the VG900

That way they don't need to bother producing any full-frame NEX lenses for a while (in the same way they haven't bothered making any for the VG900)

Just a thought...

ET2
ET2
Senior MemberPosts: 3,753Gear list
Like?
In reply to Just Having Fun, Jul 10, 2013

Just Having Fun wrote:

You can get a Canon 50D and shoot RAW video for $500. 4k is just around the corner too. Magic Lantern just killed the high-end video market...along with BlackMagic.

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/06/canon-50d-magic-lantern-raw-video-1080p/

High-end video has not been "killed". Hollywood movies are still shot with Alexa and Red and Sony, and that isn't going to change anytime.

ET2
ET2
Like?

Just Having Fun wrote:

You can get a Canon 50D and shoot RAW video for $500. 4k is just around the corner too. Magic Lantern just killed the high-end video market...along with BlackMagic.

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/06/canon-50d-magic-lantern-raw-video-1080p/

Third-part hacks (to get 6 to 10 seconds of 1080p video) is no way comparable original manufacturer specs.

Robgo2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,504
Like?
In reply to RichRMA, Jul 10, 2013

RichRMA wrote:

Will be interesting to see how large it is. If they truly break the mold and release a compact FF camera (as opposed to that silly fixed-lens one) then there maybe be people willing to pay $1000 more than a Nikon D800 for it.

It's funny how many owners of that "silly fixed-lens" camera swear that it is the best camera they have ever used.  Maybe they're just a bunch of rich dentists trying to justify their extravagant purchases by pretending to be serious photographers.

Rob

ET2
ET2
Like?
Re: Typical Sony

Just Having Fun wrote:

You can get a D600 or 6D these days for about $1500 body only while Sony thinks if they add a few bells and whistles to the A99 they can sell it for almost twice that price...even though the sensor doens't perform as well due to the SLT design

And despite the SLT, A99 scores higher than 6D on dxomark. Funny you forgot to add that little part

captura
Like?

parallaxproblem wrote:

captura wrote:

Yes, I meant FF lenses using an FF sensor

I did read that... and I'm wondering if this rumoured camera is in fact pencilled up as one of those replacements

Selling it as just a body with an alpha adaptor included (as they do with the VG900) would make it a 'sort-of' alpha camera which can also take existing APS-C NEX lenses (in 'crop' mode) or lenses of any other mount via an appropriate adaptor... which I guess is also the idea behind the VG900

That way they don't need to bother producing any full-frame NEX lenses for a while (in the same way they haven't bothered making any for the VG900)

Just a thought...

Really a good point, tying it into the VG900 like that.

Joe Ogiba
Senior MemberPosts: 2,918Gear list
Like?
Were is the link to $4,000 ?

I only see an old four month old rumor saying it might cost between $3,000 and $4,000.

http://www.cameraegg.org/sony-nex-9-price-may-higher-than-sony-rx1/

I bet if Sony charges $4,000 it will be the first mirrorless with 4K video and be a hot seller.

Joe Ogiba's gear list:Joe Ogiba's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads