How to learn Windows 8?

Started Jul 9, 2013 | Discussions
HDProman
Contributing MemberPosts: 779
Like?
How to learn Windows 8?
Jul 9, 2013

I just purchased a Windows 8 laptop for my granddaughter who is starting college in the fall. She is able to use Windows 8, but just barely. She is not inclined to read an owner's manual of any kind, so I would like to teach myself Windows 8 and then be able to help her.

My own desktop is running Windows 7 Professional and I am inclined to read an owner's manual.

I searched Amazon for Windows 8 in books and of course the results where numerous, just not possible for me to make an informed decision about any one book.

How should I go about learning Windows 8, books, online tutorials, download videos or what.

Please give me a recommendation based on your personal experience.

Thanks, Floyd, a 67 year old grandpa.

-- hide signature --

Newbie, having fun.

bananahead
Regular MemberPosts: 250
Like?
Re: How to learn Windows 8?
In reply to HDProman, Jul 9, 2013

I would go to youtube and watch the Windows 8 tutorials.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dwalby
Senior MemberPosts: 2,959
Like?

HDProman wrote:

How should I go about learning Windows 8, books, online tutorials, download videos or what.

If you don't care about the touch interface, just run it in desktop mode and its almost exactly the same as any other Windows desktop.  Its missing the start menu, which for some people is a major inconvenience, and for others is no big deal.  That's what I did, so that's all I have for the 'personal experience' part.  I did web searches on the things that were a little confusing or different, and it didn't take much time to set it up.

If you want to learn the touch interface, web searches will also help if you have specific questions/problems.  Since I haven't used that interface I can't give you any advice in that area as far as formal tutorials are concerned.

scrambler2
Contributing MemberPosts: 583
Like?
Archer66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,294
Like?
Doug R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,468
Like?

Microsoft intended for you to stumble over the new features all by yourself. Move the mouse to the edge HAY LOOK I found the charms bar, cool. What the hell is a charms bar? You get to have fun finding all the cool things.

-- hide signature --

Doug

Leon Obers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,785
Like?
In reply to HDProman, Jul 10, 2013

Maybe convenient for your own when learning your granddaughter Windows 8, to install:
- Classic Shell  (freeware)
- ModernMix  ($ 5 )
In that case you have both worlds just by your own liking.

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

lemon_juice
Contributing MemberPosts: 752
Like?
In reply to Leon Obers, Jul 10, 2013

ModernMix looks like a very useful application. I suppose the Stardock guys really love Windows 8 as it gives them a fantastic opportunity to grow their business. They are giving for small fees just precisely what most people want and what MS failed to provide. I'd love to hear how they are doing but I wouldn't be surprised if this was a real gold mine for them.

-- hide signature --

Michal.

dradam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,599
Like?
In reply to Leon Obers, Jul 10, 2013

Leon Obers wrote:

Maybe convenient for your own when learning your granddaughter Windows 8, to install:
- Classic Shell (freeware)
- ModernMix ($ 5 )
In that case you have both worlds just by your own liking.

StartIsBack ($5) is another popular option.

That said, I would encourage you (OP) to at least give it a try to learn the new interface.  Once you get your mind around looking in corners and on edges or right clicking for hidden commands, it becomes quite easy to navigate, and the desktop already functions largely as before.

Leon Obers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,785
Like?
In reply to dradam, Jul 10, 2013

dradam wrote:

StartIsBack ($5) is another popular option.

There are several applications to have a start-menu.
I tried several, the ones that I likes best was < Start8 > and the previous mentioned < Classic Shell >

It could be a good opportunity to try several for best choice for your own personal liking, as everybody do have another taste.
I ended up by the early mentioned Classic Shell. Skin: "Smoked glass" plus "Reduce Glass Color".

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

phototeacher
Regular MemberPosts: 124
Like?
In reply to Leon Obers, Jul 11, 2013

Another vote for Classic Shell !

bananahead
Regular MemberPosts: 250
Like?
In reply to phototeacher, Jul 11, 2013

phototeacher wrote:

You do realise that this has nothing to do with the original question?

Your inability to understand or learn the new Windows 8 interface shouldn't be a restriction to others.

(and of course this isn't just a reply to you personally but to all that have replied with similar distortions)

Oly Canikon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,003
Like?
In reply to bananahead, Jul 12, 2013

bananahead wrote:

phototeacher wrote:

You do realise that this has nothing to do with the original question?

Maybe so but it is the most helpful answer given how the question was framed.

Camera Kook
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to HDProman, Jul 12, 2013

I believe Windows 8.1 will be released in the not too distant future and will be restoring some of the features of Windows 7, particularly the Start button.

dradam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,599
Like?
In reply to Camera Kook, Jul 12, 2013

Camera Kook wrote:

I believe Windows 8.1 will be released in the not too distant future and will be restoring some of the features of Windows 7, particularly the Start button.

Well, 8 already contains MOST of the features of 7.  Also, while it's true that 8.1 will have a Start Button, it will still take you to the Windows 8 Start Screen.  Those looking for the return of the Start MENU will likely be disappointed.

herebefore
Senior MemberPosts: 3,282
Like?
In reply to HDProman, Jul 13, 2013

HDProman wrote:

I just purchased a Windows 8 laptop for my granddaughter who is starting college in the fall. She is able to use Windows 8, but just barely. She is not inclined to read an owner's manual of any kind, so I would like to teach myself Windows 8 and then be able to help her.

My own desktop is running Windows 7 Professional and I am inclined to read an owner's manual.

I searched Amazon for Windows 8 in books and of course the results where numerous, just not possible for me to make an informed decision about any one book.

Thanks, Floyd, a 67 year old grandpa.

-- hide signature --

Newbie, having fun.

For those that are so used to using XP, Vista, and Win 7, This is my suggestion for getting used to Windows 8.

First:

When Windows 8 first starts up it will give you the "Metro" screen.. (it is, in my mind the ugliest opening screen I have EVER dealt with..)

On this screen there are a lot of Icons for stuff you probably wont use... right click on them and one of the choices you get is to UNPIN from the start screen... do it!

One of the icons is "Desktop".... Click it and you are now on familiar ground.. the traditional desktop (without a "Start" button or ICON).

Go ahead and install some of your favorite programs.  They will put icons on your desktop (and on the metro screen).

I have a lot of software installed (more than 30 programs) and I dont like that many icons splattered around, so I make folders labeled "Photo" for Lightroom, photoshop, etc, and Music for my mp3 editors and players et al..

I end up with 10 folders clearly labeled and easy to find..

from there, Windows 8 is a "piece of cake".

-- hide signature --

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Connecticut
Be Careful, sleep can be a symptom of caffeine deprivation
I figured out why I cant lose weight! The only exercise Im good at is CHEWING
Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does
In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
Oscar Wilde

Albey Scholl
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
This is the book you want.
In reply to HDProman, Jul 15, 2013

With every update to Windows I have always bought one book before all others, the Windows Annoyances series for which ever version of Windows I was updating to. It look like they are no longer doing it any more but the next best thing and the other book I have bought for XP and 7 is The Missing Manuel Series. I also like this one for the newest version of Photoshop and Dreamweaver but I guess I wont be needing those anymore since I will not update them because of the Cloud. Here is the link to the book on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-8-The-Missing-Manual/dp/1449314031

-- hide signature --

Albey

bhD7000
Regular MemberPosts: 317
Like?
Re: Try here.
In reply to HDProman, Jul 16, 2013

Microsoft has a lot of good online tutorials, information, etc. Don't listen to the naysayers, Windows 8/8.1 offers the best of both worlds, a better desktop than Windows 7 (meaning better use of memory, advanced storage options, performance, etc.) and the ability to download and run Metro apps if YOU like. it's up to you!

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-to

BobSC
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,292
Like?
In reply to HDProman, Jul 16, 2013

I haven't read Windows 8 for Dummies, but you might want to. The Dummies books usually seem to cover all the basics.

I dislike Windows 8 on the two laptops I'm using it on. Unfortunately, neither is mine, so I'm not able to make big changes (like Classic Shell). Windows 8 is probably great with touch, but it does some weird things with a touchpad.

HDProman
Contributing MemberPosts: 779
Like?
In reply to HDProman, Jul 17, 2013

Many thanks to everyone, I have made a decision based on all your good advice.

I will learn to use Windows 8 as Microsoft intended and only then include the desktop mode.

After I have the basics down I will look into using something like the Classic Shell.

I have ordered Windows 8 the missing manual and per your suggestions I will use the videos available from Microsoft.

After all the above I then most likely will upgrade to Windows 8.1 and should be in a good position to evaluate whether or not the upgrade is an improvement.

Thanks again to everyone, you have been a big help.

Floyd...

-- hide signature --

Newbie, having fun.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads