Crystal Ball Required... Locked

Started Jul 9, 2013 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
SushiEater
Senior MemberPosts: 1,988Gear list
Re: Crystal Ball Required...
In reply to qianp2k, Jul 14, 2013

I am talking about overall AF response time and AF lock-on speed. From what I have heard 5D3 edges out D800 in both areas that help you to capture the moment and improve AF hit rate.

Not only your sentences are meaningless but I love how you use words, "could be" "heard" and so on.
It maybe partially through (it was based on opinions only) that at the beginning 5D3 had better AF in low light but no longer  true after FW upgrade. And again, this has nothing to do with the subject movement no matter how many time you are going to go OT.

Why in the world would I sell very excellent zoom lens for a prime which is not any better? And please don't start me on that.

Sigma 120-300/2.8 OS is not as good as Canon 300L/2.8 IS II as latter not only sharper but AF lock on faster that would help you in your job. I also believe two cameras not one camera solution.

That is very debatable in the first place but why are you even talking about it since it is not the problem?

It will improve your AF lock-on speed and will be sharper if you use two cameras.

No, it won't. AF lock has nothing to do with the subject movement blur at the low shutter speed. Only higher shutter speed can freeze the subject if flash is not used.

The problem is to stop subject movement and the only way to do it is with high shutter speed that 5D3 can't provide because I have to use proper exposure and I can't.

Again my point is that 5D3 with better Canon lenses will help you to improve hit rate. But still technically no difference between you shoot at ISO 3200 then push 2-stop back and at ISO 12800 or slightly lower.

How many times do I have to tell you that hit rate is not a problem?

Did you ever talk blurry? I bet many of some of those blurry not caused by shutter speed but a small lag of AF lock-on speed in panning mode.

What panning mode? Did I ever say I am panning? I said I pre-focus and wait for expression.

And all those pictures I delete I can clearly see movement blur, not focus blur. People are not moving a while lot but just enough to create movement. Even a sudden smile can create a blur if picture is taken during the face movement.

And yes there is big difference between shooting Nikon at 3200 with pushing and Canon at 12800.

No, 5D3 doesn't have more banding issue than D800 at ISO 3200.

Wrong. It is not just 3200 ISO but 2 or more stops of underexposing.And it does not have to be ISO 3200 either. 5D3 just like all other Canon cameras produce banding even at low ISO of 100.

Did you look at the links I provided? Just Google 5D3 and "banding" and you will see how many complaints will come up.

And just because you keep repeating over and over again you can't wish banding away.


From what I have read, 5D AF lock-on speed is faster, shooting fast, better in AI-servo mode and more responsible overall that will increase your hit rate

Again, hit rate is not a problem. Sudden subject movement is.

Again it's partially related to AF lock-on speed and hope you get. How many PJs use Canon cameras as we see in TV these days?

They use flash that stops movement. Not related to AF-lock in my situation. Again, you don't have any experience so why are you even arguing?

Of course Canon cameras have banding, even at normal exposure. There are several posts here about it, just search.

All cameras have banding more or less. Canon banding is ONLY obviously when you severely underexpose and then push many stops especially in base ISO.

So finally you admit it!!!!! That more or less goes like this: Canon MORE, Nikon LESS. You really have to go out your way to create banding on D800. I have not seen it yet. I mostly shoot with D800 for highlights so I underexpose a lot on purpose. That is my style and I choose it because I can. Have not found a single legitimate proof that D800 has any banding unless camera malfunctions.


I don't care about DXO, they change their minds every five seconds. Besides even at high ISO the difference is minor. How often do you shoot at 12800 or higher?

the question is for you actually, as you seem need to shoot at ISO 12800.

Please don't tell me what I need and what I don't. I have a lot more experience than you do obviously.
I will not shoot at 12800 because at this point noise will destroy sharpness on either camera.

I care what I can do with 5D3 and D800. 5D3 can't even recover from ISO 100. Just a quick search.

Rubbish. D800's advantage is ONLY obvious in your shooting style that you severely underexposed photos, and then push shadows many stops back at base ISO. I'd not shoot in that way as I said.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/5DIII-D800/index_controlled-tests.html

a) it's mainly for his balance purpose in his report otherwise overwhelmingly he prefers 5D3 and he used 5D3 most times in real world shooting; b) Fred himself said it's better for 5D3 to overexpose a little bit upto +1EV (or ETTR technique that I used); c) it's just for demo purpose so he didn't further process.

When Canon snob post something like that and admits it, it needs to be multiplied by a thousand times and advertized by Nikon on every corner. Fred just like you can come up with any excuse you want. The fact remains the same. 5D3 has banding no matter how much you are going to sugar coat it!!!!!!

http://horshack.smugmug.com/photos/i-7hpFr5V/1/O/i-7hpFr5V.jpg

And if you believe DXO so much how about DXO sensor rating? D800e-96, 5D3-81!!!! Now that is HUGE difference.

a) DXOMark summary total score is highly subjective and vastly overweighed on specific factor such as shadow DR; b) if we check detailed test data except 2-stop DR advantage in shadow areas at base ISO, 5D3 sensor stands well with D800 (such as SNR) in other areas; c) Sensors alone don't take photos but must together with lenses, then the gap is quickly narrowed.

Oh, so now, after you quoted DXO, it suddenly became subjective.

You don't even have D800 and all you do is reading hearsay.

I don't even know why I allowed myself to get sucked in to pointless conversation with you.

Goodbye.

 SushiEater's gear list:SushiEater's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +10 more
SushiEater
Senior MemberPosts: 1,988Gear list
Re: Crystal Ball Required...
In reply to qianp2k, Jul 14, 2013

Exactly, no need to shoot at ISO 50 if he exposed on front darker areas not on bright sky. This is a typical scene should use a filter as there is clear horizontal line there. I personally would use a 10-stop Lee Bigstopper that water will be very smooth and could add another GND for sky if necessary.

You can critique my photo all you want but it still not going to prove you point. The point here is banding from 5D3 not the technique I used at that particular point in time.

Since you made this conversation pointless because you are constantly going off topic (topic being banding) I will no longer get myself involve in it.

Goodbye.

 SushiEater's gear list:SushiEater's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +10 more
DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,850Gear list
Re: Crystal Ball Required...
In reply to SushiEater, Jul 14, 2013

SushiEater wrote:

Exactly, no need to shoot at ISO 50 if he exposed on front darker areas not on bright sky. This is a typical scene should use a filter as there is clear horizontal line there. I personally would use a 10-stop Lee Bigstopper that water will be very smooth and could add another GND for sky if necessary.

You can critique my photo all you want but it still not going to prove you point. The point here is banding from 5D3 not the technique I used at that particular point in time.

Since you made this conversation pointless because you are constantly going off topic (topic being banding) I will no longer get myself involve in it.

Goodbye.

The point is that any schmuck can use the camera wrong for a given scene, and then try to make a point about how no other camera can do (in actuality, recover) this "challenging scene".

The reality is that the scene isn't really that challenging if you know how to use either the 5DMKII or the D800 correctly, and that the real-life difference in truly extreme situations (not here) is academic. Is there a difference? Probably. Is it going to make-or-break a picture given competent users of either camera? No.

 DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +18 more
The Davinator
Forum ProPosts: 13,233Gear list
Re: Crystal Ball Required...
In reply to DtEW, Jul 14, 2013

DtEW wrote:

SushiEater wrote:

Exactly, no need to shoot at ISO 50 if he exposed on front darker areas not on bright sky. This is a typical scene should use a filter as there is clear horizontal line there. I personally would use a 10-stop Lee Bigstopper that water will be very smooth and could add another GND for sky if necessary.

You can critique my photo all you want but it still not going to prove you point. The point here is banding from 5D3 not the technique I used at that particular point in time.

Since you made this conversation pointless because you are constantly going off topic (topic being banding) I will no longer get myself involve in it.

Goodbye.

The point is that any schmuck can use the camera wrong for a given scene, and then try to make a point about how no other camera can do (in actuality, recover) this "challenging scene".

The reality is that the scene isn't really that challenging if you know how to use either the 5DMKII or the D800 correctly, and that the real-life difference in truly extreme situations (not here) is academic. Is there a difference? Probably. Is it going to make-or-break a picture given competent users of either camera? No.

I'm guessing you don't even own a Canon or Nikon DSLR.

 The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
SushiEater
Senior MemberPosts: 1,988Gear list
Re: Crystal Ball Required...
In reply to DtEW, Jul 14, 2013

Actually the scene is very challenging. The sun is setting and there is no repeat.

If you ever taken a picture of the sunset it is very easy to blow the sky and the sun. If you expose for the sun you end up with black silhouette of everything else. I wanted to have the sky, the foreground rocks, slow water and the seaweeds all in one picture in the limited amount of time I had.

So schmuck please show us your results in the similar situation.

If I wanted critique on my photo I would ask for it, but I didn't. I only posted this photo because I wanted to show that D800 can recover nicely from difficult situation and 5D3 can't.

Would you like me to show you the test between D800 and 5D3 I made to show how much better D800 is compared to 5D3? I will even include RAW files. Warning it will embarrass you, though I think to you black is white and white is black.

 SushiEater's gear list:SushiEater's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +10 more
qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,350Gear list
Re: Crystal Ball Required...
In reply to SushiEater, Jul 15, 2013

SushiEater wrote:

....

Oh, so now, after you quoted DXO, it suddenly became subjective.

DXOMark summary scores are subjective but its test data are not that I only pay attention to.

You don't even have D800 and all you do is reading hearsay.

You have not used 5D3 thoroughly yet.  From what I read this is not true that D800 is much better than 5D3.  With choices of lenses they are very close actually as DXOMark test show, as some independent owners experienced.  Nothing you can do with D800 that you cannot do with 5D3.  Many view 5D3 is an overall better all-round camera.

I don't even know why I allowed myself to get sucked in to pointless conversation with you.

How many PJs using Canon cameras everyday that probably more than Nikon as I see on TV in every field from studio, newsroom, magazines, sports, wildlife..you named

Goodbye.

Good luck.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,350Gear list
Re: Crystal Ball Required...
In reply to SushiEater, Jul 15, 2013

SushiEater wrote:

If you believe the way you did as in this sample fine go ahead. But there is a better way that can generate better IQ and hope you listen. Your way is not the only way.

Probably not the only way but you have not posted a single sample!!!!!

I told you over and over again I did post two samples on page 2 of this thread, BIF, however.   See, I used ETTR (expose on right) even on much smaller subject, birds but I still can recover most bright sky.  I'd love to see your D800 BIF samples that if you expose on sky and then push deep dark birds many stops back, so we can compare at feather details

So far I see from you nothing but a talk. You know a picture worth a thousand words. I think you just hit the limit. Now post something similar and see if you can do better.

Yes I do have pictures on page 2 of this thread!   I don't have similar one as yours at this moment.  But if I have that chance I'd use filters absolutely and believe will generate better photos.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,350Gear list
Re: Crystal Ball Required...
In reply to SushiEater, Jul 15, 2013

SushiEater wrote:

Actually the scene is very challenging. The sun is setting and there is no repeat.

I don't see that's is that challenging.  There is a clear horizontal line there and sky is not that bright as sun was not even part of scene.  It can do much better by just using 10-stop Bigstopper Lee ND filter and shoot at ISO 100 (not 50), no GND even needed - water will be even more misty, front dark areas will be cleaner with more details as you'd expose on the front subject (the brightest area in low 80% of scene that green-grass area) while sky still can be recovered and will look more pleasing after 10-stop ND.

If you ever taken a picture of the sunset it is very easy to blow the sky and the sun. If you expose for the sun you end up with black silhouette of everything else. I wanted to have the sky, the foreground rocks, slow water and the seaweeds all in one picture in the limited amount of time I had.

So schmuck please show us your results in the similar situation.

http://www.liewwkphoto.com/blog/?p=1931

If you truly believe your photos are top of world, check these similar samples that used Singh-Ray Reverse GND that is dedicated for sunrise/sunset on horizontal scenes. See what kind of details, sharpness and natural color tonality should be, that something I don't see at similar level in your sample.

If I wanted critique on my photo I would ask for it, but I didn't. I only posted this photo because I wanted to show that D800 can recover nicely from difficult situation and 5D3 can't.

Nobody disputed D800 can recover a severely unexposed photo better. The only problem is that why you should do that way (extreme ETTL) as it will not generate best IQ photos. Serious D800 landscape photographers also use filters and very care of shooting technique that applied to all brands.

Would you like me to show you the test between D800 and 5D3 I made to show how much better D800 is compared to 5D3? I will even include RAW files. Warning it will embarrass you, though I think to you black is white and white is black.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3514784

Someone did very scientific well controlled test. You can download RAW files, processed on your own and compare yourself. You can go there and post your opinion (I did both).

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
SushiEater
Senior MemberPosts: 1,988Gear list
Re: Crystal Ball Required...
In reply to qianp2k, Jul 15, 2013

Please explain to me this. I told you over and over that I bought D800 for low light photography because I need to underexpose to generate high shutter speed. Yet you are pushing your BIFs. I simply don't care about photography in the good light. Any amateur with fundamental understanding of exposure can shoot in the good light. But anyone can shoot in the low light. You keep repeating like a parrot that you see photogs on tv shooting with Canon because that is what you want to see. I am shooting on the red carpet all the time and I see equal amount of Canon, Nikon. Sometimes I see Sony. Do you also realize that some photogs have agency equipment?

But who cares, what is that got to do with underexposing to get higher shutter speed?

You can dazzle me with numbers all you want. You can tell me that 5D3 can do everything that D800 can do because you read it somewhere. How about renting D800 yourself for a week and then tell me that 5D3 is superior to D800. And not just tell me but show me!!!! Not going to happen.

Here is another example I just made for you.

This a basic situation that you can encounter everyday. So don't tell what I could have done.

I just wanted to generate 1/250 shutter without going to extra measures. Simple as that.

All I did is convert from RAW in ACR with all sliders set to zero. That means no noise reduction, no sharpening. I deliberately underexposed about 3 stops. The second set is EC of +3 in ACR and nothing else. I consider this freaking embarrassment for Canon that after so many years they can't get rid of the noise and produce cleaner files even though pixel pitch is so much larger on 5D3.

And here are RAW files for you to play with.

https://app.box.com/files/0/f/0/1/f_9205599129

https://app.box.com/files/0/f/0/1/f_9205622359

And frankly I could not give a damn what excuses you will come up with because there are will be nothing but excuses.

 SushiEater's gear list:SushiEater's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +10 more
aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,049Gear list
Re: Crystal Ball Required...
In reply to SushiEater, Jul 15, 2013

Just recently I read in another Canon forum that D800 is so good that its pictures don't even need sharpening. Is that true?

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

 aftab's gear list:aftab's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +2 more
Apewithacamera
Senior MemberPosts: 2,199
No one has ever done sunset photos prior to the release of the D800...
In reply to SushiEater, Jul 15, 2013

ah.........yeah moving along.

The Davinator
Forum ProPosts: 13,233Gear list
Re: No one has ever done sunset photos prior to the release of the D800...
In reply to Apewithacamera, Jul 15, 2013

Apewithacamera wrote:

ah.........yeah moving along.

No one ever said that at all.  It appears you are once again missing the entire point of the discussion.  Maybe going back and rereading the thread will shed some light on where you became confused.

 The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,350Gear list
Re: Crystal Ball Required...
In reply to SushiEater, Jul 15, 2013

SushiEater wrote:

Please explain to me this. I told you over and over that I bought D800 for low light photography because I need to underexpose to generate high shutter speed. Yet you are pushing your BIFs. I simply don't care about photography in the good light. Any amateur with fundamental understanding of exposure can shoot in the good light. But anyone can shoot in the low light. You keep repeating like a parrot that you see photogs on tv shooting with Canon because that is what you want to see. I am shooting on the red carpet all the time and I see equal amount of Canon, Nikon. Sometimes I see Sony. Do you also realize that some photogs have agency equipment?

I first time heard only Nikon can shoot in low light or read carpet, LOL.

But who cares, what is that got to do with underexposing to get higher shutter speed?

That's the puzzle why you believe you pull underexposed photos to get better result?

You can dazzle me with numbers all you want. You can tell me that 5D3 can do everything that D800 can do because you read it somewhere. How about renting D800 yourself for a week and then tell me that 5D3 is superior to D800. And not just tell me but show me!!!! Not going to happen.

Both cameras pretty at the same level, basically nothing only D800 can do but 5D3 cannot over vice versa.

Here is another example I just made for you.

This a basic situation that you can encounter everyday. So don't tell what I could have done.

I just wanted to generate 1/250 shutter without going to extra measures. Simple as that.

All I did is convert from RAW in ACR with all sliders set to zero. That means no noise reduction, no sharpening. I deliberately underexposed about 3 stops. The second set is EC of +3 in ACR and nothing else. I consider this freaking embarrassment for Canon that after so many years they can't get rid of the noise and produce cleaner files even though pixel pitch is so much larger on 5D3.

At what ISO these two photos were taken? If at base ISO, I agreed D800 can push underexposed photos better. In high ISOs, however, different story. But you should not underexpose but expose correctly on your main subject.

And here are RAW files for you to play with.

They are password protected as see from my iPhone but I am unable to access this site from my office PC anyway at this moment.

https://app.box.com/files/0/f/0/1/f_9205599129

https://app.box.com/files/0/f/0/1/f_9205622359

And frankly I could not give a damn what excuses you will come up with because there are will be nothing but excuses.

Frankly I don't see why you you believe you can generate better photos by underexposing people's face and then push several stops back rather shooting at higher ISO because technically there is no difference.

You can try to download DPR or IR ISO 3200 D800 raw files, pushed two stops and compare to their ISO 12800 raw files to see if any difference.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
The Davinator
Forum ProPosts: 13,233Gear list
Re: Crystal Ball Required...
In reply to SushiEater, Jul 15, 2013

SushiEater wrote:

Please explain to me this. I told you over and over that I bought D800 for low light photography because I need to underexpose to generate high shutter speed. Yet you are pushing your BIFs. I simply don't care about photography in the good light. Any amateur with fundamental understanding of exposure can shoot in the good light. But anyone can shoot in the low light. You keep repeating like a parrot that you see photogs on tv shooting with Canon because that is what you want to see. I am shooting on the red carpet all the time and I see equal amount of Canon, Nikon. Sometimes I see Sony. Do you also realize that some photogs have agency equipment?

But who cares, what is that got to do with underexposing to get higher shutter speed?

You can dazzle me with numbers all you want. You can tell me that 5D3 can do everything that D800 can do because you read it somewhere. How about renting D800 yourself for a week and then tell me that 5D3 is superior to D800. And not just tell me but show me!!!! Not going to happen.

Here is another example I just made for you.

This a basic situation that you can encounter everyday. So don't tell what I could have done.

I just wanted to generate 1/250 shutter without going to extra measures. Simple as that.

All I did is convert from RAW in ACR with all sliders set to zero. That means no noise reduction, no sharpening. I deliberately underexposed about 3 stops. The second set is EC of +3 in ACR and nothing else. I consider this freaking embarrassment for Canon that after so many years they can't get rid of the noise and produce cleaner files even though pixel pitch is so much larger on 5D3.

And here are RAW files for you to play with.

https://app.box.com/files/0/f/0/1/f_9205599129

https://app.box.com/files/0/f/0/1/f_9205622359

And frankly I could not give a damn what excuses you will come up with because there are will be nothing but excuses.

Thanks for all the samples.  It shows clearly the benefits you mention.

 The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
SushiEater
Senior MemberPosts: 1,988Gear list
Re: Crystal Ball Required...
In reply to aftab, Jul 15, 2013

Yes and no. I don't sharpen any photos unless I want to emphasize something like eyes for example.

But sharpening is really up to each individual and dependent on the size you are going to print or display.

It also dependent on the ISO you used. At high ISO sharpening will bring more noise and artifacts.

I shoot only in RAW and start with all sliders at zero (default in ACR is 25%) and if needs sharpening I will do it in PP later. I am not going to perform default sharpening on thousands of photos at the same time.

So I can't really say that D800 is sharper but with more pixels it has more details obviously which could be mistaken for sharpness.

 SushiEater's gear list:SushiEater's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +10 more
dachshund7
Forum MemberPosts: 67Gear list
Re: Crystal Ball Required...
In reply to SushiEater, Jul 15, 2013

i read the original post and was going to say that the Nikon vs Canon question is a matter of taste. Both have models that are the top of the line, and deciding is such a toss-up that you either have to have an emotional leaning one way, or rent both and see which user interface you like. I've had Canons except for a CoolPix that I had for a while, and it reinforced my preference for the Canon UI. Once you buy a lens, you're committed.

Then I was going to mention that asking us to help make this decision might disintegrate into nitpicking... too late. Also, mentioning that you're at the beginning stages and would also like to make money with this gear is another invitation for everyone to ignore your gear question and reprimand such a crazy idea. Just my two cents.

 dachshund7's gear list:dachshund7's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Phil M Winder
Regular MemberPosts: 121
WB
In reply to SushiEater, Jul 15, 2013

SushiEater wrote:

Please explain to me this. I told you over and over that I bought D800 for low light photography because I need to underexpose to generate high shutter speed. Yet you are pushing your BIFs. I simply don't care about photography in the good light. Any amateur with fundamental understanding of exposure can shoot in the good light. But anyone can shoot in the low light. You keep repeating like a parrot that you see photogs on tv shooting with Canon because that is what you want to see. I am shooting on the red carpet all the time and I see equal amount of Canon, Nikon. Sometimes I see Sony. Do you also realize that some photogs have agency equipment?

But who cares, what is that got to do with underexposing to get higher shutter speed?

You can dazzle me with numbers all you want. You can tell me that 5D3 can do everything that D800 can do because you read it somewhere. How about renting D800 yourself for a week and then tell me that 5D3 is superior to D800. And not just tell me but show me!!!! Not going to happen.

Here is another example I just made for you.

This a basic situation that you can encounter everyday. So don't tell what I could have done.

I just wanted to generate 1/250 shutter without going to extra measures. Simple as that.

All I did is convert from RAW in ACR with all sliders set to zero. That means no noise reduction, no sharpening. I deliberately underexposed about 3 stops. The second set is EC of +3 in ACR and nothing else. I consider this freaking embarrassment for Canon that after so many years they can't get rid of the noise and produce cleaner files even though pixel pitch is so much larger on 5D3.

And here are RAW files for you to play with.

https://app.box.com/files/0/f/0/1/f_9205599129

https://app.box.com/files/0/f/0/1/f_9205622359

And frankly I could not give a damn what excuses you will come up with because there are will be nothing but excuses.

Interesting comparison. Perhaps unrelated, but what white balance setting did you use for both?

SushiEater
Senior MemberPosts: 1,988Gear list
Re: Crystal Ball Required...
In reply to qianp2k, Jul 15, 2013

qianp2k wrote:

SushiEater wrote:

Please explain to me this. I told you over and over that I bought D800 for low light photography because I need to underexpose to generate high shutter speed. Yet you are pushing your BIFs. I simply don't care about photography in the good light. Any amateur with fundamental understanding of exposure can shoot in the good light. But anyone can shoot in the low light. You keep repeating like a parrot that you see photogs on tv shooting with Canon because that is what you want to see. I am shooting on the red carpet all the time and I see equal amount of Canon, Nikon. Sometimes I see Sony. Do you also realize that some photogs have agency equipment?

I first time heard only Nikon can shoot in low light or read carpet, LOL.

I never said that, I said there is a mixture of cameras but you only see Canons because that is what you want to see.

But who cares, what is that got to do with underexposing to get higher shutter speed?

That's the puzzle why you believe you pull underexposed photos to get better result?

Buddie, do you have memory lapses? How many times do I have to tell the same thing over and over again? I really hope this is the last time.Or maybe it is a groundhog day where you live.

I don't do it on the red carpet because flash is allowed so no underexposure.

During interviews or video taping flash is not allowed so I underexpose because I want to get higher shutter speed. I bring back exposure because D800 can do it better than 5D3, much better. At correct exposure shutter speed can get as low as 1/15 at F2.8. I need to get minimum of 1/160 and higher for less wasted shots. Do you understand now? How about you print it and every time you want to ask the same question again you just look at the piece of paper.

You can dazzle me with numbers all you want. You can tell me that 5D3 can do everything that D800 can do because you read it somewhere. How about renting D800 yourself for a week and then tell me that 5D3 is superior to D800. And not just tell me but show me!!!! Not going to happen.

Both cameras pretty at the same level, basically nothing only D800 can do but 5D3 cannot over vice versa.

That maybe your wishful thinking but since (by your own admission) you have not used 5D3 that much or never used D800 I think you are wrong.

BTW, both cameras are pretty. They look good on me.

Here is another example I just made for you.

This a basic situation that you can encounter everyday. So don't tell what I could have done.

I just wanted to generate 1/250 shutter without going to extra measures. Simple as that.

All I did is convert from RAW in ACR with all sliders set to zero. That means no noise reduction, no sharpening. I deliberately underexposed about 3 stops. The second set is EC of +3 in ACR and nothing else. I consider this freaking embarrassment for Canon that after so many years they can't get rid of the noise and produce cleaner files even though pixel pitch is so much larger on 5D3.

At what ISO these two photos were taken? If at base ISO, I agreed D800 can push underexposed photos better. In high ISOs, however, different story. But you should not underexpose but expose correctly on your main subject.

How many times do I have to tell you that I don't shoot past 3200?

But first of all you are wrong in your statement and second of all after 3200 I wouldn't care which camera can push what because the picture details is ruined anyway.

And third of all GROUNDHOG DAY.

And here are RAW files for you to play with.

They are password protected as see from my iPhone but I am unable to access this site from my office PC anyway at this moment.

You tried to download RAW files from your Iphone? Seriously?

https://app.box.com/files/0/f/0/1/f_9205599129

https://app.box.com/files/0/f/0/1/f_9205622359

And frankly I could not give a damn what excuses you will come up with because there are will be nothing but excuses.

Frankly I don't see why you you believe you can generate better photos by underexposing people's face and then push several stops back rather shooting at higher ISO because technically there is no difference.

Well look at the sample below. Very little noise in D800 pushed 3 stops. Lots of noise (and color noise too) and banding in 5D3. This is basically a BASE picture just to show what cameras start with.

You can try to download DPR or IR ISO 3200 D800 raw files, pushed two stops and compare to their ISO 12800 raw files to see if any difference.

Do you really think that after more than a year owning D800e and 4 months owning 5D3 I did not try anything that needs to be tried?

And if you are wondering why I bought 5D3 in the first place (sometimes I wonder myself) I will be using on the red carpet in few days with the 600RT flash. It is actually better suited for the red carpet than D800 because it has orientation focusing so I don't have to fiddle with focusing points.

-- hide signature --
 SushiEater's gear list:SushiEater's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +10 more
DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,850Gear list
Re: Crystal Ball Required...
In reply to SushiEater, Jul 15, 2013

SushiEater wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

They are password protected as see from my iPhone but I am unable to access this site from my office PC anyway at this moment.

You tried to download RAW files from your Iphone? Seriously?

https://app.box.com/files/0/f/0/1/f_9205599129

https://app.box.com/files/0/f/0/1/f_9205622359

"The item you are trying to access has either been deleted or is unavailable to you."

Unavailable from home at midnight last night.

Unavailable from work in the morning today.

Somehow I don't find this surprising.

 DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +18 more
qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,350Gear list
Re: Crystal Ball Required...
In reply to DtEW, Jul 15, 2013

DtEW wrote:

SushiEater wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

They are password protected as see from my iPhone but I am unable to access this site from my office PC anyway at this moment.

You tried to download RAW files from your Iphone? Seriously?

I am not trying to download thru iPhone but just tried access as the site was blocked in workplace. I found it's password protected.

https://app.box.com/files/0/f/0/1/f_9205599129

https://app.box.com/files/0/f/0/1/f_9205622359

"The item you are trying to access has either been deleted or is unavailable to you."

Unavailable from home at midnight last night.

Unavailable from work in the morning today.

Somehow I don't find this surprising.

to SushiEater: I just have a simple question and a suggestion for you,

Question: At what ISO the two samples were taken? I have no contest in the game if you shoot at base ISO and push shadows many stops, and I am sure D800 wins easily. But I'd not shoot in this way.

Suggestion: download DPR and IR D800 RAW lab samples of ISO 3200 and ISO 12800 respectively. In LR/ACR, increase exposure bar +2 full stops and export and then compare to ISO 12800 ones, everything leaves as default. If there is no difference or even worse, then it means your method is not good and doesn't make sense. Then we all know 5D3 high ISOs are not worse than D800. So you shoot 5D3 at ISO 12800 that should not be worse than your D800 ISO 3200 and then increase exposures 2 full stops. Is my analysis making sense to you?

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads