M43 vs SuperZoom

Started Jul 9, 2013 | Discussions
Teru Kage
Contributing MemberPosts: 604Gear list
Like?
Under ideal lighting, even a smartphone is hard to identify
In reply to Donald Chin, Jul 9, 2013

First off, I'd guess that the top photo was done by the M4/3, since the hair detail is much finer.

But photos shot under such ideal conditions will always minimize the  gap between different formats. The photos you used were shot under bright sunlight with a large subject occupying most of the frame, and very little small details.

Disregarding the focal length, it would be valid to argue that even a smartphone could produce a photo that was indistinguishable from the others. But not all real world usage photos are shot outdoors under the sun; try comparing the 2 cameras indoors using a wider angle and the differences should start becoming obvious.

BTW, I'm not trying to disparage superzooms; any gear that fulfills the role it was designed for is a good piece of equipement. I often use superzooms to shoot movies when I go wakeboarding and the results are usually satisfying.

-- hide signature --

Photography - It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
Galleries: http://www.photo.net/photos/teru
http://www.fotop.net/teruphoto

Teru Kage's gear list:Teru Kage's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Nikon D700 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Donald Chin
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,412Gear list
Like?
And the answer is...
In reply to Donald Chin, Jul 10, 2013

If you want to see more real world comparison, here the links for SuperZoom shots this year and M43 shotsfrom last year, have fun.

emd5 001
Regular MemberPosts: 100Gear list
Like?
Re: And the answer is...
In reply to Donald Chin, Jul 10, 2013

sweet... i thought the background blur on the m43 was stronger as opposed to the superzoom

emd5 001's gear list:emd5 001's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +2 more
Donald Chin
Like?
Re: Under ideal lighting, even a smartphone is hard to identify
In reply to Teru Kage, Jul 10, 2013

Teru Kage wrote:

First off, I'd guess that the top photo was done by the M4/3, since the hair detail is much finer.

But photos shot under such ideal conditions will always minimize the gap between different formats. The photos you used were shot under bright sunlight with a large subject occupying most of the frame, and very little small details.

Disregarding the focal length, it would be valid to argue that even a smartphone could produce a photo that was indistinguishable from the others. But not all real world usage photos are shot outdoors under the sun; try comparing the 2 cameras indoors using a wider angle and the differences should start becoming obvious.

BTW, I'm not trying to disparage superzooms; any gear that fulfills the role it was designed for is a good piece of equipement. I often use superzooms to shoot movies when I go wakeboarding and the results are usually satisfying.

-- hide signature --

Photography - It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
Galleries: http://www.photo.net/photos/teru
http://www.fotop.net/teruphoto

I hope what you said is truth! 

clack
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?
In reply to Donald Chin, Jul 12, 2013

I'm relieved that I got it right... at 50:50 chance it could be accidental though...

But if the majority doesn't notice, and the other part have to look at 100%...
maybe we worry too much about equipment?

peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 6,247Gear list
Like?
Re: M43 vs SuperZoom

Donald Chin wrote:

Just came across having two similar photo one with a Panasonic G1 + 45~200 and the other with a Canon SX50HS, can you tell the difference under real world usage?

-- hide signature --

In the originals, the difference is very obvious - in the first one the skin is smooth and hair sharp, while in the second one the skin is grainy and the hair is blurred (by the noise reduction?)

I even surprised that at those ideal conditions one of the cameras did so badly, the difference between sensor sizes is usually high when light is low, not in the sunlight (or at least manifested in the blown sky which is not visible here - and G1 is not a good camera for that anyway, its 5 years old, take at least last year E-PM2 for comparison).

Are you sure it was out of camera, with no processing?

peevee1
Like?

Donald Chin wrote:

If you want to see more real world comparison, here the links for SuperZoom shots this year and M43 shotsfrom last year, have fun.

-- hide signature --

Exposure values don't match! 1/320s f/5.6 vs 1/800s f/9, about 3 EV difference. Only 1 EV difference in ISO. Looks like the second one was underexposed by 2 EV and then artificially brightened, that is why the noise so apparent.

slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,659Gear list
Like?
In reply to clack, Jul 12, 2013

clack wrote:

I'm relieved that I got it right... at 50:50 chance it could be accidental though...

But if the majority doesn't notice, and the other part have to look at 100%...
maybe we worry too much about equipment?

If you only every shoot relatively static subjects in very favourable light you may be right.

My interests are more varied.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,510
Like?
G1 sure has a lousy sensor for a "big sensor" camera

Donald Chin wrote:

-- hide signature --

I actually think the one on top has better image quality.

The G1 has a really lousy sensor. DXOMark didn't lie when it gave it such a low rating.

You really need to use G5 or E-M5 level of camera to get better IQ than a modern small sensor camera.

shea241
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
In reply to peevee1, Jul 12, 2013

Nice catch, this is such a disappointing comparison. I would call it incompetence, but since it must have been brightened in post, it seems more like lying.

The noise reduction on the G1 seems especially strong, too. Someone should post a correct comparison

There is clearly more disparity between the SX50 and any of the M43 cameras than there is between the M43s and the FF. Yet, it's often asked 'does it really matter in day-to-day usage?' when comparing compact to M43, versus the opposite statement 'it absolutely DOES matter in every way' when comparing M43 and FF. What's the deal? Pick one!

Also, spend more time on actual photography, you'll feel better.

clack
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?

To illustrate why I think the details are really bad in the Superzoom, and how it looks smudged...

I took the images in Photoshop, applied "Invert", changed mode to "Grayscale", scaled up 200%, saved to maximum quality JPEG....

Superzoom

M43

IT looks like the top one has the "cartoon" filter on

Sudo Nimh
Regular MemberPosts: 259
Like?
Not a fair comparison
In reply to clack, Jul 12, 2013

The part of the dragon with detail missing was in shadow in the Canon photo and in sunlight in the Panasonic photo. That is why the Panasonic captured more detail. The parts of the shirt that were equally well lit are equally detailed in both photos.

And the Canon skin tones are much better.

Vlad S
Senior MemberPosts: 3,116Gear list
Like?
Old news

Donald Chin wrote:

Just came across having two similar photo one with a Panasonic G1 + 45~200 and the other with a Canon SX50HS, can you tell the difference under real world usage?

These two shots do not encompass the totality of "real world usage." Under conditions optimal for small sensors they will give great results. But they are less versatile, and ILC can continue producing great images where small sensor cameras struggle. When Olympus XZ1 came out DPReview commented how it was a better option than an Olympus micro 4/3 camera if you plan on using only the kit lens. This was years ago. So what's new this time?

Vlad

Vlad S's gear list:Vlad S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Just Having Fun
Senior MemberPosts: 3,869
Like?
2008 model vs. 2013 model?

Not sure what this "test" is trying to prove.  The G1 is about 5 years old, but I guess it does hold up pretty well.

Bassam Guy
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?
In reply to Alexis D, Jul 12, 2013

BTW: You can look at 100% crops & loupe to greater magnifications if you click on the photos. You'll see a bit more detail in the u43 shot and more moire in the SX50 shot.

The OP is obviously trolling. He knows the SX50 HS is stuck with one lens and f3.4-6.5.

peevee1
Like?
In reply to Bassam Guy, Jul 12, 2013

Bassam Guy wrote:

BTW: You can look at 100% crops & loupe to greater magnifications if you click on the photos. You'll see a bit more detail in the u43 shot and more moire in the SX50 shot.

The OP is obviously trolling. He knows the SX50 HS is stuck with one lens and f3.4-6.5.

Of course he is trolling. 2EV discrepancy in ISO-adjusted exposure does not come from nowhere.

Donald Chin
Like?
In reply to peevee1, Jul 13, 2013

peevee1 wrote:

Bassam Guy wrote:

Of course he is trolling. 2EV discrepancy in ISO-adjusted exposure does not come from nowhere.

I use the SX50HS to complete 5 projectsin past 30 days, so what did you do with your M43 instead of just trolling in the forum? 

Donald Chin
Like?
In reply to Bassam Guy, Jul 13, 2013

Bassam Guy wrote:

Show me some of your best shots with your M43 before trolling in the forum please! 

Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,571Gear list
Like?
In reply to Donald Chin, Jul 13, 2013

Donald Chin wrote:

peevee1 wrote:

Bassam Guy wrote:

I use the SX50HS to complete 5 projectsin past 30 days, so what did you do with your M43 instead of just trolling in the forum?

-- hide signature --

Relevant much? Sure looks to me like you are trolling.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
JosephScha
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,250Gear list
Like?
In reply to Donald Chin, Jul 18, 2013

I guessed correctly. And the reason why I could guess is the water is bluer in the Canon image, it is greyer in the Panasonic m43 image.  I won't venture a guess on which is truer.  Canon tends to produce strong, bright colors and Panasonic (and Nikon) tend to more muted.

-- hide signature --

js

JosephScha's gear list:JosephScha's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads