M43 vs SuperZoom

Started Jul 9, 2013 | Discussions
Donald Chin
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,240Gear list
Like?
M43 vs SuperZoom
Jul 9, 2013

Just came across having two similar photo one with a Panasonic G1 + 45~200 and the other with a Canon SX50HS, can you tell the difference under real world usage?  

emd5 001
Forum MemberPosts: 80Gear list
Like?
Re: M43 vs SuperZoom
In reply to Donald Chin, Jul 9, 2013

I'd venture the bottom is the M43?

I think what ppl needs to know is that in good light, most cameras are acceptable, it's when the available light becomes challenging is when the superzoom will struggle.

emd5 001's gear list:emd5 001's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alexis D
Regular MemberPosts: 385
Like?

Donald Chin wrote:

Just came across having two similar photo one with a Panasonic G1 + 45~200 and the other with a Canon SX50HS, can you tell the difference under real world usage?

Not sure what you are trying to get at, Donald?

With very good lighting and no motion, and with small images like these, it would be hard to tell the difference between any P&S camera and the G1 (which is 5 years old). Except in this case, you need a long FL to get this particular shot.

I think " real world usage" includes taking photos under much harsher lighting conditions and printing bigger prints. Otherwise everybody will be using a superzoom. The fact is however that even the best current model superzoom (the FZ200 or the SX50) has noisy images even at their lowest ISO. A current model M43 camera, except for the Panasonic ones, can all produce images with virtually no noise until ISO 1600.

JosephScha
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,212Gear list
Like?

Assuming these are both out-of-camera jpegs, I'm going to guess that the top one is the Canon and the bottom one is the m43.

-- hide signature --

js

JosephScha's gear list:JosephScha's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +4 more
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,198Gear list
Like?
In reply to emd5 001, Jul 9, 2013

I'd go the other way, top as mFT. Based on detail and color quality of the hair and skin along with quality of the blurred background water. Shot in good light so noise is not an issue, and a great equalizer of performance, but still I find the top image of better quality.

Both have 12 MP sensors, the G1's with some 9X the surface area of the SX50HS, but of 5 year old design, while the Canon's uses the latest backlit sensor design. And the 50-200mm is not exactly a star of Panasonics lens line-up.

Now post an image from each taken in poor light as well as one at 200mm and cropped down. That's where the difference should become more noticeable.

Even at ISO 400 the difference becomes quite clear (set ISO at 400, include the G2 in selection, then drag the sample box over the watch):

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-powershot-sx50-hs/7

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Donald Chin
Like?
1/2.7" BSI CMOS isn't that bad @ low light

215.0mm (35mm equivalent: 1200mm), f/6.5, 0.050 s (1/20), ISO 1250

A spectator at a regular lit gym, handheld.  

emd5 001
Forum MemberPosts: 80Gear list
Like?
Re: 1/2.7" BSI CMOS isn't that bad @ low light

how many shots did you take or how much time did you take for this shot?  I'd gather the m43 would have more keeper rates or faster acquisition time for the same amount of time one would spent to get this shot.

emd5 001's gear list:emd5 001's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +4 more
Lights
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,334Gear list
Like?

I think the warm colors make the top one Canon, but could be wrong. My wife's cheap Fuji superzoom, in good light, is hard to tell apart from M43 on a monitor. It does OK even at 1600 ISO as long as a person doesn't look really, really close.

-- hide signature --

My Gallery is here -
http://www.pbase.com/madlights
Why so serious? :The Joker

Alexis D
Regular MemberPosts: 385
Like?
In reply to sderdiarian, Jul 9, 2013

I think you are right. Top one is the G1 photo. I say this only because of the color I see.

There is however not much point in comparing details. The top one has better details but that could be due to many other reasons. For example, the top photo was obviously taken at a closer range (less atmospheric interference) using a shorter FL, and therefore has more DOF and quality in the ripples.  Zoom len performance usually gets worse near the long end.  It also is more tightly framed, so the face and hair areas are bigger and have more details due to that alone. It may or may not have been taken using the same ISO as the other one.

Many P&S can produce photos that look as good as these with such lighting in this size.

Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,726Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alexis D, Jul 9, 2013

Alexis D wrote:

Donald Chin wrote:

Not sure what you are trying to get at, Donald?

It's not hard.

He was a four-thirds user with all the expensive Zuiko four-thirds glass, often posting really nice stuff over there. Eventually (and rightfully so) he gave up on the system and went with the Nikon full frame system. His only forays into this forum are attempts to show the micro four-thirds system is something short of useless. Kinda pathetic actually, Can't just enjoy what he uses now.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
inasir1971
Senior MemberPosts: 3,170Gear list
Like?

So which is which? The first is (IMO) much better but that's the optics rather than the sensor.

Donald Chin
Like?
Re: 1/2.7" BSI CMOS isn't that bad @ low light

emd5 001 wrote:

how many shots did you take or how much time did you take for this shot? I'd gather the m43 would have more keeper rates or faster acquisition time for the same amount of time one would spent to get this shot.

Don't worry, I'm a highly productive foto, I won't spend hours on such a photo that has no commercial value.

Actually I borrowed the SuperZoom for dragon boat racing this summer and have completed five projectswith less than 2,000 clicks added to the camera. wink

Sudo Nimh
Regular MemberPosts: 257
Like?

Donald Chin wrote:

Hmm, I'd like to think it's the top one because the colors are better. But I have seen Panasonic skin tones like the bottom one, so I'm not sure.

clack
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?

First one is a bit sharper but that may be due bad focus or subject movement - it seems like she just snapped into a from, turning her head.
Second one seems to have a bit less DOF.
The first photo has more contrast and saturation.
In the second one, the t-shirt has more color detail/gradation (whatever it is called), it looks more realistic.

Considering the DOF difference, contrast setting and lack of detail in the t-shirt, I'd think the first one is made with the superzoom.

clack
Like?
In reply to Sudo Nimh, Jul 9, 2013

Sudo Nimh wrote:

Hmm, I'd like to think it's the top one because the colors are better.

From what I see here the colors in the top one are over-saturated. The yellow and red in the shirt turn into planar blobs, whereas the lower one has a subtle play of light and shadow in the creases of the shirt. When printed on large scale I'd think that becomes really noticeable.

MatsP
Contributing MemberPosts: 948Gear list
Like?
In reply to clack, Jul 9, 2013

I think I see more dof and more colour smearing due to noise reduction in the first one, and a more natural look in the second one. So I would guess the second is m43, but as it is a comparision of first generation m43 to last gen sz I might be wrong.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,274Gear list
Like?
Different perspective, first is likely the superzoom.

At the posted size and in such good light both cameras should generally do equally well.

The first image is taken at a longer focal length, probably with the superzoom to get more background blur. The longer focal length is seen by a part of the boat sticking out on the left side of the image despite the girl keeping her arms slightly further apart. The second image must have been taken at a somewhat wider angle so that part of the boat is obscured by the girl.

The superzoom would pretty much fall apart in low light, unless you downsize the images even more, like to 1MP or so. Sensor size and age do matter. Newer sensors are better, and larger sensors are better. I must say I find the m43 cameras and lenses to be a very reasonable compromise between image quality (including low light) and size.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
Sudo Nimh
Regular MemberPosts: 257
Like?

clack wrote:

Sudo Nimh wrote:

From what I see here the colors in the top one are over-saturated. The yellow and red in the shirt turn into planar blobs, whereas the lower one has a subtle play of light and shadow in the creases of the shirt. When printed on large scale I'd think that becomes really noticeable.

Planar blobs? Click the links to see the original images, at full size. There is an almost identical amount of detail in them. I think the top one may have a bit more detail in the hair, but that could be due to the sun and the angle of the subject's head.

The white balance in the top one is better, particularly on the subject's face.

clack
Like?
In reply to Sudo Nimh, Jul 9, 2013

Sudo Nimh wrote:

clack wrote:

Sudo Nimh wrote:

Planar blobs? Click the links to see the original images, at full size. There is an almost identical amount of detail in them. I think the top one may have a bit more detail in the hair, but that could be due to the sun and the angle of the subject's head.

The white balance in the top one is better, particularly on the subject's face.

Well that's what I see here on my monitor, and it is more visible in full size.

E.g. in the top image the flower-like part left of the dragon head is an smeared red field, whereas in the lower image there is much more to see. In the top image the are several areas in red, yellow and white hues which show this smearing, in the bottom image it does not occur at all.

Could be due to different monitor settings though.

Acrill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,314Gear list
Like?

I think the top shot is m4/3, but do not really know.

Outside in good light, superzooms are fine cameras. A lot of people use them and get great results. I might even be in the market for one.

That said, I own a system camera because I enjoy shooting family portraits. Many times this happens indoors in ISO 3200, 1.8-2.0 aperture light.

Horses for courses.

Acrill's gear list:Acrill's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads