Lightroom 5 Issues

Started Jul 9, 2013 | Discussions
davinci953
Regular MemberPosts: 141
Like?
Lightroom 5 Issues
Jul 9, 2013

I've been using Lightroom 5 since shortly after it's release, and it seems very buggy to me.  I often get the message "There was a problem working with this photo" where it won't allow any further edits.  If I close and reopen Lightroom, I can continue.  I'm generally seeing this after sharpening an image.  If I fit the image, and then go back to 100% view, it doesn't render the sharpening correctly.  That's typically when the error messages start.  I've been using Lightroom since version 3 and haven't encountered this with previous versions.  Is anyone else seeing this?

Jim B (MSP)
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,978
Like?
Re: Lightroom 5 Issues
In reply to davinci953, Jul 9, 2013

davinci953 wrote:

I've been using Lightroom 5 since shortly after it's release, and it seems very buggy to me. I often get the message "There was a problem working with this photo" where it won't allow any further edits. If I close and reopen Lightroom, I can continue. I'm generally seeing this after sharpening an image. If I fit the image, and then go back to 100% view, it doesn't render the sharpening correctly. That's typically when the error messages start. I've been using Lightroom since version 3 and haven't encountered this with previous versions. Is anyone else seeing this?

No, I have never seen this.

But please supply some details that might help us help you : OS, CPU, ram, hard drives. What drive is your catalog on? remaining space? Are any other programs open? Size of photo file? Size of catalog?

-- hide signature --

Jim
"Its all about the light"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
davinci953
Regular MemberPosts: 141
Like?
Re: Lightroom 5 Issues
In reply to Jim B (MSP), Jul 9, 2013

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

No, I have never seen this.

But please supply some details that might help us help you : OS, CPU, ram, hard drives. What drive is your catalog on? remaining space? Are any other programs open? Size of photo file? Size of catalog?

These are the specs you asked about.

OS: Windows 7 (32 bit)

CPU: Intel quad core 2.40 GHz

RAM: 4GB (3GB usable due to 32 bit OS); also, dedicated video card w/ 512MB RAM

Hard disk: 500MB split equally into two partitions (C, D)

Catalog: Approx. 35MB located on C drive (I've optimized the catalog in LR5 a few times); 134GB free space on drive C

Image file size: approx 26 - 32MB

I typically close other running programs when using LR5. I upgraded to LR5 about three weeks ago. I still have LR 4.4 installed, and I don't see the same issues in 4.4.

Thanks.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
davinci953
Regular MemberPosts: 141
Like?
Re: Lightroom 5 Issues
In reply to davinci953, Jul 9, 2013

davinci953 wrote:

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

No, I have never seen this.

But please supply some details that might help us help you : OS, CPU, ram, hard drives. What drive is your catalog on? remaining space? Are any other programs open? Size of photo file? Size of catalog?

These are the specs you asked about.

OS: Windows 7 (32 bit)

CPU: Intel quad core 2.40 GHz

RAM: 4GB (3GB usable due to 32 bit OS); also, dedicated video card w/ 512MB RAM

Hard disk: 500MB split equally into two partitions (C, D)

Catalog: Approx. 35MB located on C drive (I've optimized the catalog in LR5 a few times); 134GB free space on drive C

Image file size: approx 26 - 32MB

I typically close other running programs when using LR5. I upgraded to LR5 about three weeks ago. I still have LR 4.4 installed, and I don't see the same issues in 4.4.

Thanks.

Just another note.  The problem seems to be with the Develop module.  If I view the image full screen, it doesn't display with the correct sharpening.  If I view it in the Library module, there doesn't seem to a problem with the sharpening displaying correctly.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim B (MSP)
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,978
Like?
Re: Lightroom 5 Issues
In reply to davinci953, Jul 9, 2013

My guess - you are running out of ram as you continue to process files. Everything else meets their specs. Then you get the memory back when you quit LR.

Also check your cache size under preferences and be sure it is large - 10-20G.

-- hide signature --

Jim
"Its all about the light"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ernstbk
Contributing MemberPosts: 684Gear list
Like?
Re: Lightroom 5 Issues
In reply to davinci953, Jul 9, 2013

davinci953 wrote:

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

No, I have never seen this.

But please supply some details that might help us help you : OS, CPU, ram, hard drives. What drive is your catalog on? remaining space? Are any other programs open? Size of photo file? Size of catalog?

These are the specs you asked about.

OS: Windows 7 (32 bit)

CPU: Intel quad core 2.40 GHz

RAM: 4GB (3GB usable due to 32 bit OS); also, dedicated video card w/ 512MB RAM

Hard disk: 500MB split equally into two partitions (C, D)

Catalog: Approx. 35MB located on C drive (I've optimized the catalog in LR5 a few times); 134GB free space on drive C

Image file size: approx 26 - 32MB

I typically close other running programs when using LR5. I upgraded to LR5 about three weeks ago. I still have LR 4.4 installed, and I don't see the same issues in 4.4.

Thanks.

Can you explain what you have done since you started LR until the moment it occurs.

I have been observing this problem with LR4.4 on a similar configured system and I suspect that there is serious problem with memory management which is difficult to describe and reproduce. It normally starts happening after serveral photos have been processed in the develop module and there are two symptoms that show up. 1) If you display information(I) then suddenly it is shown momentarely on black rectangular background 2) in Details, the 100% display is not rendered completely and is unsharp. At this moment LR needs to be restarted.

I have been observing this problem for some time now and I have not found a solid method to reproduce. In LR5 Beta I observed the same problem (and more) and I have decided to wait a while for LR5 to mature, but I have no hope that Adobe will ever fix the problems because IMHO Adobe is incapable of providing support services to it's customers. For me LR5 Beta is a marketing action and has nothing to do with testing.

 ernstbk's gear list:ernstbk's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
davinci953
Regular MemberPosts: 141
Like?
Re: Lightroom 5 Issues
In reply to Jim B (MSP), Jul 9, 2013

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

My guess - you are running out of ram as you continue to process files. Everything else meets their specs. Then you get the memory back when you quit LR.

Also check your cache size under preferences and be sure it is large - 10-20G.

-- hide signature --

Jim
"Its all about the light"

Jim,

I think your assessment is accurate.  I monitored RAM usage while I was working in LR5 earlier today, and as I continued to work with files, it consumed the available memory until it reached a point where I got the error message that LR5 wasn't able to read the file correctly.  I also noticed that at start up LR5 is using approximately one third more RAM than LR4 without even touching a file.

The system is 64 bit enabled.  I just haven't wanted to upgrade to a 64 bit OS since it would require having to reinstall everything.  Maybe now's the time so it can use the additional GB of RAM.

Thanks,

Tom

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim B (MSP)
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,978
Like?
Re: Lightroom 5 Issues
In reply to davinci953, Jul 9, 2013

davinci953 wrote:

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

My guess - you are running out of ram as you continue to process files. Everything else meets their specs. Then you get the memory back when you quit LR.

Also check your cache size under preferences and be sure it is large - 10-20G.

-- hide signature --

Jim
"Its all about the light"

Jim,

I think your assessment is accurate. I monitored RAM usage while I was working in LR5 earlier today, and as I continued to work with files, it consumed the available memory until it reached a point where I got the error message that LR5 wasn't able to read the file correctly. I also noticed that at start up LR5 is using approximately one third more RAM than LR4 without even touching a file.

The system is 64 bit enabled. I just haven't wanted to upgrade to a 64 bit OS since it would require having to reinstall everything. Maybe now's the time so it can use the additional GB of RAM.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,

This is a good decision.  And I'd strongly recommend that while you are at it, you increase your ram to (at least) 6G. LR won't use it all, but will run much better. You will also be able to run something else at the same time (like PS Elements) or a browser.

-- hide signature --

Jim
"Its all about the light"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
davinci953
Regular MemberPosts: 141
Like?
Re: Lightroom 5 Issues
In reply to ernstbk, Jul 9, 2013

ernstbk wrote:

Can you explain what you have done since you started LR until the moment it occurs.

I have been observing this problem with LR4.4 on a similar configured system and I suspect that there is serious problem with memory management which is difficult to describe and reproduce. It normally starts happening after serveral photos have been processed in the develop module and there are two symptoms that show up. 1) If you display information(I) then suddenly it is shown momentarely on black rectangular background 2) in Details, the 100% display is not rendered completely and is unsharp. At this moment LR needs to be restarted.

I have been observing this problem for some time now and I have not found a solid method to reproduce. In LR5 Beta I observed the same problem (and more) and I have decided to wait a while for LR5 to mature, but I have no hope that Adobe will ever fix the problems because IMHO Adobe is incapable of providing support services to it's customers. For me LR5 Beta is a marketing action and has nothing to do with testing.

I think it's a resource issue as Jim pointed out.  Even 3GB of RAM isn't sufficient once you start processing files in LR5.  I didn't have any issues with previous LR versions.  If your system is 64 bit enabled, that may be the route to go.  It'll give you access to all the RAM on the system and probably better memory management.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
davinci953
Regular MemberPosts: 141
Like?
Re: Lightroom 5 Issues
In reply to Jim B (MSP), Jul 9, 2013

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

Tom,

This is a good decision. And I'd strongly recommend that while you are at it, you increase your ram to (at least) 6G. LR won't use it all, but will run much better. You will also be able to run something else at the same time (like PS Elements) or a browser.

-- hide signature --

Jim
"Its all about the light"

That would be a worthwhile upgrade.  With a 64 bit OS the system can take 8 GB of memory.  Right now with the 32 bit OS, it's maxed out at 4.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ernstbk
Contributing MemberPosts: 684Gear list
Like?
Re: Lightroom 5 Issues
In reply to davinci953, Jul 9, 2013

davinci953 wrote:

ernstbk wrote:

Can you explain what you have done since you started LR until the moment it occurs.

I have been observing this problem with LR4.4 on a similar configured system and I suspect that there is serious problem with memory management which is difficult to describe and reproduce. It normally starts happening after serveral photos have been processed in the develop module and there are two symptoms that show up. 1) If you display information(I) then suddenly it is shown momentarely on black rectangular background 2) in Details, the 100% display is not rendered completely and is unsharp. At this moment LR needs to be restarted.

I have been observing this problem for some time now and I have not found a solid method to reproduce. In LR5 Beta I observed the same problem (and more) and I have decided to wait a while for LR5 to mature, but I have no hope that Adobe will ever fix the problems because IMHO Adobe is incapable of providing support services to it's customers. For me LR5 Beta is a marketing action and has nothing to do with testing.

I think it's a resource issue as Jim pointed out. Even 3GB of RAM isn't sufficient once you start processing files in LR5. I didn't have any issues with previous LR versions. If your system is 64 bit enabled, that may be the route to go. It'll give you access to all the RAM on the system and probably better memory management.

Yes it is a resource issue, but adding RAM and upgrading to 64 bit will not fix bad programming, it will just delay hitting the same problem again.

 ernstbk's gear list:ernstbk's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads