Not an optical viewfinder in X20?

Started Jul 8, 2013 | Discussions
osloray
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,603Gear list
Like?
Not an optical viewfinder in X20?
Jul 8, 2013

I was somewhat surprised today when they told me in the photo shop that the viewfinder is not an optical one. They said that if you have no power, you don't have an optical viewfinder. It gets dark.
But the call it optical viewfinder. Can anyone please explain?

osloray's gear list:osloray's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Fujifilm X20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JefDeC
Contributing MemberPosts: 579Gear list
Like?
Re: Not an optical viewfinder in X20?
In reply to osloray, Jul 8, 2013

It is related to the information display unit - in the X20 info is displayed in a layer in the viewfinder, without power this layer is not fully translucent.

Best regards ... jef

JefDeC's gear list:JefDeC's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JohnXLondon
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?
In reply to osloray, Jul 8, 2013

The shop was wrong.

It is an Optical Viewfinder in the X20; you can look through it when there's no battery in the camera, etc, but 'yes', the 'heads up' display does darken the view a little.

Bill Donnell
Regular MemberPosts: 457Gear list
Like?
In reply to JohnXLondon, Jul 9, 2013

I have an x20. The optical view finder does not produce an image thru the lens. It operates like 35mm film cameras. However it is coupled to the zoom. Your view will sync with changes in zoom same as the electronic view finder on the back of the camera. There is an electronic overlay that shows shooting data in the optical view finder when the camera is turned on- shutter speed, f-stop, and mode. Also OK focus indicator that turns green when subject is in focus. You will not see brightness changes when shutter or f-stop is changed. I really like the view finder. It really helps when the sun washes out the electronic view finder.

Bill Donnell's gear list:Bill Donnell's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Nikon D3200
Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,473Gear list
Like?
Re: Not an optical viewfinder in X20? It sure is optical...
In reply to JohnXLondon, Jul 9, 2013

JohnXLondon wrote:

The shop was wrong.

It is an Optical Viewfinder in the X20; you can look through it when there's no battery in the camera, etc, but 'yes', the 'heads up' display does darken the view a little.

Only if the battery is completely flat or not present, in which case the LCD panel is not completely transparent or clear.  The camera would be pretty useless in that condition, anyway.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,473Gear list
Like?
Re: Not an optical viewfinder in X20? It sure is optical...
In reply to Bill Donnell, Jul 9, 2013

Bill Donnell wrote:

I really like the view finder. It really helps when the sun washes out the electronic view finder.

It's excellent, really.

Even the one in the X10 was much more useful to me than not, especially in bright sunlight.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads