PIX 2015

Refusal of DWI to deliver purchased item...urgent advice required!

Started Jul 8, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
JohnJ851
Regular MemberPosts: 414
Like?
Re: Refusal of DWI to deliver purchased item...urgent advice required!
In reply to bed bug, Jul 10, 2013

bed bug wrote:

The problem is that DWI are a Hong Kong based company and (as I understand it), the OFT has no control of what happens outside of Australia. Please correct me if wrong!

Thanks for your comments, appreciated.

Kind regards
Stephen

JohnJ851 wrote:

Ring DWI and tell them you're contacting Office of Fair Trading, business' are getting a bit uneasy when they hear that.

Have tried with a company in Sydney and it helped instantly, I got an email same afternoon they would refund the funds I paid them.

JohnJ

I think you should try and ring them anyway, they are very helpful.

I'm not sure if DWI is a registered business in Australia, but if they are, OFT will help you.

JohnJ

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JohnJ851
Regular MemberPosts: 414
Like?

bed bug wrote:

The problem is that DWI are a Hong Kong based company and (as I understand it), the OFT has no control of what happens outside of Australia. Please correct me if wrong!

Thanks for your comments, appreciated.

Kind regards
Stephen

JohnJ851 wrote:

Ring DWI and tell them you're contacting Office of Fair Trading, business' are getting a bit uneasy when they hear that.

Have tried with a company in Sydney and it helped instantly, I got an email same afternoon they would refund the funds I paid them.

JohnJ

Hi Bedbug

I've just checked the Business register they are in fact registered ABN 58 003 759 662

Here's the link:  http://abr.business.gov.au/SearchByAbn.aspx?abn=58003759662

JohnJ

bed bug
bed bug OP
Senior MemberPosts: 2,999
Like?
In reply to JohnJ851, Jul 10, 2013

Fantastic thanks John, I can even put in a claim with the CTTT.

I very much appreciate your assistance.

Kind regards
Stephen

JohnJ851 wrote:

Hi Bedbug

I've just checked the Business register they are in fact registered ABN 58 003 759 662

Here's the link: http://abr.business.gov.au/SearchByAbn.aspx?abn=58003759662

JohnJ

bed bug
bed bug OP
Like?
I have lodged a complaint with the Office of Fair Trading....

I have now lodged a complaint with the Office of Fair Trading. Thak you all, especially John, for all your wise suggestions and comments.

I will keep you informed of the outcome.

Sincerely
Stephen

happysnapper64
Senior MemberPosts: 4,976Gear list
Like?

Steve. Unfortunate experience. if I read your post correctly, you gave permission to leave the item on the doorstep? Is it possible that they think you actually received the item, & that you are the one trying to con them? Please, don't misunderstand me, I am not for a second implying this, by any means, it could be their way of passing the blame to you?

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.
"I'm so fast, when I turn off the light, i'm in bed before the room gets dark" The great Mohamed Ali.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +10 more
DSHAPK
Contributing MemberPosts: 782Gear list
Like?

bed bug wrote:

As I stated earlier, if this is the case then DWI would be defrauding the courier company. I guess we will never know how much DWI received from DHL.

Kind regards
Stephen

DSHAPK wrote:

DWI was double-payed for the same item. You paid via credit card and DHL reimbursed for an item not delivered.

At the least that should be illegal if not immoral.

Right, but DWI not reshipping the item is the issue, apparently.

DSHAPK's gear list:DSHAPK's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM +3 more
bed bug
bed bug OP
Like?
In reply to DSHAPK, Jul 11, 2013

Yes, making me pay for the fault of the company that delivers their products seems to me quite unethical. DWI should have more respect for their customers, IMO.

Kind regards
Stephen

DSHAPK wrote:

bed bug wrote:

As I stated earlier, if this is the case then DWI would be defrauding the courier company. I guess we will never know how much DWI received from DHL.

Kind regards
Stephen

DSHAPK wrote:

DWI was double-payed for the same item. You paid via credit card and DHL reimbursed for an item not delivered.

At the least that should be illegal if not immoral.

Right, but DWI not reshipping the item is the issue, apparently.

bed bug
bed bug OP
Like?
In reply to happysnapper64, Jul 11, 2013

Hi Lee, I can understand what you are saying. Just to review the situation, the courier company (DHL) initially attempted delivery and left an undelivered consignment note. Yes, after the initial delivery attempt I did request online for the item to be left at the house. However, in the meantime, the courier company lost the item and delivery could not be reattempted.

DHL has accepted full responsibility for losing the item and in turn compensated DWI.

Thus the issue was never about me attempting to con DWI or DHL, and neither company has accused me of doing this.

So it seems that I am being forced to pay DWI for DHL's incompetence...just not right.

Kind regards
Stephen

happysnapper64 wrote:

Steve. Unfortunate experience. if I read your post correctly, you gave permission to leave the item on the doorstep? Is it possible that they think you actually received the item, & that you are the one trying to con them? Please, don't misunderstand me, I am not for a second implying this, by any means, it could be their way of passing the blame to you?

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.
"I'm so fast, when I turn off the light, i'm in bed before the room gets dark" The great Mohamed Ali.

happysnapper64
Senior MemberPosts: 4,976Gear list
Like?
In reply to bed bug, Jul 11, 2013

bed bug wrote:

Hi Lee, I can understand what you are saying. Just to review the situation, the courier company (DHL) initially attempted delivery and left an undelivered consignment note. Yes, after the initial delivery attempt I did request online for the item to be left at the house. However, in the meantime, the courier company lost the item and delivery could not be reattempted.

DHL has accepted full responsibility for losing the item and in turn compensated DWI.

Thus the issue was never about me attempting to con DWI or DHL, and neither company has accused me of doing this.

So it seems that I am being forced to pay DWI for DHL's incompetence...just not right.

Kind regards
Stephen

happysnapper64 wrote:

Steve. Unfortunate experience. if I read your post correctly, you gave permission to leave the item on the doorstep? Is it possible that they think you actually received the item, & that you are the one trying to con them? Please, don't misunderstand me, I am not for a second implying this, by any means, it could be their way of passing the blame to you?

-- hide signature --

lee uk.

Unbelievable! & I thought UK was the home of the rip-off!! Disgraceful, hope you get satisfaction, but you should not have to go chasing after it.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +10 more
Atoche
Contributing MemberPosts: 657Gear list
Like?

your issue is with the shipper, not the retailer.  It's as simple as that.

FOB Origin (in the US anyway) means the buyer takes responsibility of the item as soon as it leaves the sellers premisses (as soon as it is on the delivery truck).

FOB destination means the seller takes responsibility of the item until it reaches your doorstep.  The former is more popular with retailers than the latter, for obvious reasons.

It seems to me that you failed to educate yourself as to your responsibilities.  Unless you paid shipping insurance with YOUR shipper (yes, you are hiring the shipper) - the shipper will limit their loss to a generic amount.

Bottom line, if you are that concerned - you should pay for shipping insurance.

You may check with your homeowners insurance, they may cover you in an instance like this - but it is unlikely that it would be cost effective to make a homeowner claim, in the long one.

-- hide signature --

"I may be a geek, but it pays for the car...!"

Atoche's gear list:Atoche's gear list
Pentax Optio WG-2 GPS Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha NEX-3N Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +7 more
Peace On Earth
Contributing MemberPosts: 699
Like?
In reply to Stakeouttoo, Jul 11, 2013

Stakeouttoo wrote:

absolutely as RS_RS stated CALL CREDIT CARD company ASAP.. open an investigation at which time they will put a HOLD on paying the seller.. over time I have used my American Express card that handles this the best of all credit card companies..

also ..when purchasing electronics equipment with the AMEX card they will double the manufacturers warranty up to 5 years total.. I have made use of this and they will compensate for any repairs ( on my older Canon Xsi/450)

-- hide signature --

Ray
my Canon 60d sure beats using that ol' Petri 7s

how does this work about the double manu warranty ??? is there a minimum ? the extra warranty is claimed with Amex right ???

-- hide signature --

http://www.holeepassion.com .. photo gallery coming soon

Jeff Peterman
Forum ProPosts: 11,295Gear list
Like?
Re: Who should DHL pay for the lost item?
In reply to Atoche, Jul 11, 2013

your issue is with the shipper, not the retailer. It's as simple as that.

Not true: the shipper has a contract with the supplier not the purchaser. The supplier my require that the purchase pay for the cost of shipping, but the supplier contacts the shipper and makes all the arrangement, and the supplier is the one who sends the check (or money transfer) to the shipper.

DHL has not obligation to the purchaser of the item, and must pay for the cost of the item (as determined by their contract with the supplier - which may be for far less than the value of the item) to the supplier. In this case, if the purchaser pays for the cost the optional insurance then the supplier buys insurance to cover the full cost of the item and will replace it if it goes missing - I think that is very bad business practice, and I would certainly never buy from them, but it isn't unethical/illegal.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +18 more
MarshallG
Senior MemberPosts: 2,963Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jeff Peterman, Jul 11, 2013

Not true: the shipper has a contract with the supplier not the purchaser. The supplier my require that the purchase pay for the cost of shipping, but the supplier contacts the shipper and makes all the arrangement, and the supplier is the one who sends the check (or money transfer) to the shipper.

DHL has not obligation to the purchaser of the item, and must pay for the cost of the item (as determined by their contract with the supplier - which may be for far less than the value of the item) to the supplier. In this case, if the purchaser pays for the cost the optional insurance then the supplier buys insurance to cover the full cost of the item and will replace it if it goes missing - I think that is very bad business practice, and I would certainly never buy from them, but it isn't unethical/illegal.

-- hide signature --

Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

I've never heard of that, Jeff. In all of the mail order transactions I've done, I've never been told that I have to pay for an item that doesn't arrive.

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +4 more
Jeff Peterman
Forum ProPosts: 11,295Gear list
Like?
In reply to MarshallG, Jul 11, 2013

If you deal with a decent company, you shouldn't have to pay for something that doesn't arrive. But if the company has an option to pay for insurance on the shipped item, that is clearly an indication that you shouldn't expect a full refund (or a replacement item) if they can prove they sent it but it doesn't arrive. When you deal with a company from a different country things get murky.

But my main point wasn't whether or not the shipper should do the right thing and refund the money or replace the item. It was that DHL only has responsibility to the shipper in this case.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +18 more
bed bug
bed bug OP
Like?
In reply to happysnapper64, Jul 11, 2013

I agree that DWI is acting disgracefully. As stated in an earlier post, other companies would just replace the item or offer a refund

It is also a disgrace and a black mark against the company that I have to put in a claim with our consumer protection authority. Sadly it is the only way to handle companies that have no business ethics.

Kind regards
Stephen

happysnapper64 wrote:

Unbelievable! & I thought UK was the home of the rip-off!! Disgraceful, hope you get satisfaction, but you should not have to go chasing after it.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.

bed bug
bed bug OP
Like?
In reply to Atoche, Jul 11, 2013

On the contrary it is not. My contract is with the company, DWI, it is DWI who essentially subcontracts out to the shipper. Thus the shipper has no legal binding contract with me.

Thus is it up to DWI to honour the contract and they have failed to do so. It is also important to note that a company's terms and conditions are not above the law, thus I feel as though I have a legitimate claim against the group, even if hte company claims I did not take out shipping insurance.

In the end, it will now be the legal system who decides on the outcome and whether DWI should honour their contract with me.

Kind regards
Stephen

Atoche wrote:

<snip>

bed bug
bed bug OP
Like?
If anyone is thinking of using DWI, see this first:

If anyone is thinking of using DWI, then suggest that you review the web site 'Product Review':

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/digital-world-international.html

You will notice a huge list of complaints against the company (as well as many obvious fake entries).

If only I looked at this web site first

Don't repeat my mistake!

Regards
Stephen

Blair88
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to bed bug, Jul 12, 2014

Hi Stephen,

Did you get your issue resolved? And if you did then how? I have the same problem and the situation seems hopeless.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads