Refusal of DWI to deliver purchased item...urgent advice required!

Started Jul 8, 2013 | Discussions
bed bug
Senior MemberPosts: 2,944
Like?
Refusal of DWI to deliver purchased item...urgent advice required!
Jul 8, 2013

Dear all good DPR colleagues & fellow photographers, I should start by saying that if you are considering purchasing anything from Digital World International (DWI), then BEWARE, the ethics of this company is less than desirable, let me explain...

I purchased two items a few days apart, firstly a Canon 1.4x TC and then a 2x TC. I was not at home when attempted delivery was made by DHL for the 1.4 and they left an authority to leave. Online I requested that this was to be left at the door step.

The 2x arrived when I was home and all was fine with this item.

However, in the meantime the 1.4x was lost by the courier company (interestingly the courier was suddenly replaced suggesting possible nefarious activities by the particular driver???).

DHL declared the item lost and, according to DHL Australia, compensated DHL Hong Kong, who in turn compensated DWI.

Naturally (innocently perhaps) I expected a replacement to be sent or at least a refund to be made, but no. DWI offered a massive $25.00 in compensation!!! They claim that I should have paid for shipping insurance, but I do not even remember seeing this option on web site (but why should I pay to cover someone's incompetence...grrr...)

As far as I am concerned, I have a contract with DWI for the supply of the above mentioned item and they failed to deliver. As such they have a duty to send a replacement in order to fulfil the contract, despite the issue with the courier company.

It is not my fault that the item was lost yet I am the one expected to pay!!!

In my opinion, this is a company that has no business scruples, no morals and not one shred of common decency.

The irony of it, was that I was considering purchasing a 500 F4 from the company and in fact posted about this a few weeks prior (http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51612239). I wanted to 'test drive' them before buying something more substantial (although $460 is nothing to be sniffed at). The one saving grace, was that I found about their 'ethics' (as in lack of) before committing to something more substantial.

It is not the first time that I have had an item go missing. One delivery from B&H did get lost and it did take an exasperating 6 weeks to resolve, however they did resend the item, which was subsequently received.

The real test of any mail order company is when something goes wrong; this sorts out the good from the evil.

Thus is there anything more I can do about trying to receive my money and/or item?

I intend to take DHL to the CTTT (consumer tribunal in NSW), but any suggestions you have would be welcome.

Some lessons from this experience:

1. Use DWI at your own risk.
2. Avoid companies that use DHL.
3. Always check Product Review sites (ok I didn't); DWI does rate very badly.
4. Use companies with business ethics or buy locally.

My apologies for cross posting, I am hoping for a diversity of opinions to solve this issue.

Sincerely
Stephen

RS_RS
Senior MemberPosts: 1,434
Like?
Re: Refusal of DWI to deliver purchased item...urgent advice required!
In reply to bed bug, Jul 8, 2013

Nasty. If you paid by credit card then you should raise the case with your card provider.

It appears from what you say that although DHL got it wrong, they reimbursed the consignor, so there is not really any reason to complain about them – things do go wrong occasionally, and they have responded correctly. The problem is that the consignor, having been reimbursed, is apparently not willing to resupply. That has to be wrong.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Daisy AU
Senior MemberPosts: 1,561Gear list
Like?

bed bug wrote:

Dear all good DPR colleagues & fellow photographers, I should start by saying that if you are considering purchasing anything from Digital World International (DWI), then BEWARE, the ethics of this company is less than desirable, let me explain...

I purchased two items a few days apart, firstly a Canon 1.4x TC and then a 2x TC. I was not at home when attempted delivery was made by DHL for the 1.4 and they left an authority to leave. Online I requested that this was to be left at the door step.

The 2x arrived when I was home and all was fine with this item.

However, in the meantime the 1.4x was lost by the courier company (interestingly the courier was suddenly replaced suggesting possible nefarious activities by the particular driver???).

DHL declared the item lost and, according to DHL Australia, compensated DHL Hong Kong, who in turn compensated DWI.

Naturally (innocently perhaps) I expected a replacement to be sent or at least a refund to be made, but no. DWI offered a massive $25.00 in compensation!!! They claim that I should have paid for shipping insurance, but I do not even remember seeing this option on web site (but why should I pay to cover someone's incompetence...grrr...)

As far as I am concerned, I have a contract with DWI for the supply of the above mentioned item and they failed to deliver. As such they have a duty to send a replacement in order to fulfil the contract, despite the issue with the courier company.

It is not my fault that the item was lost yet I am the one expected to pay!!!

In my opinion, this is a company that has no business scruples, no morals and not one shred of common decency.

The irony of it, was that I was considering purchasing a 500 F4 from the company and in fact posted about this a few weeks prior (http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51612239). I wanted to 'test drive' them before buying something more substantial (although $460 is nothing to be sniffed at). The one saving grace, was that I found about their 'ethics' (as in lack of) before committing to something more substantial.

It is not the first time that I have had an item go missing. One delivery from B&H did get lost and it did take an exasperating 6 weeks to resolve, however they did resend the item, which was subsequently received.

The real test of any mail order company is when something goes wrong; this sorts out the good from the evil.

Thus is there anything more I can do about trying to receive my money and/or item?

I intend to take DHL to the CTTT (consumer tribunal in NSW), but any suggestions you have would be welcome.

3. Always check Product Review sites (ok I didn't); DWI does rate very badly.
4. Use companies with business ethics or buy locally.

My apologies for cross posting, I am hoping for a diversity of opinions to solve this issue.

Sincerely
Stephen

Looks like there are several delivery drivers in OZ that are not doing their jobs properly!  About 2 months ago, I order a few small items from Amazon.  I have been ordering from them for about 7 years and not one parcel has ever been lost.  In this case, I waited and waited for my items to be delivered to my business address, when I suddenly received an email from Amazon that my parcel had been returned as "undeliverable"!!  (mind you this was a business address, manned every weekday).  They immediately offered a refund, which was processed in 3 days, so all was okay.  However, what annoys me is that the courier company never attempted delivery (I think it was DHL, but am not sure).

In your case, I suggest to keep on pressuring DWI.  Otherwise, take them to Small Claims Court (you don't need a solicitor for that).  Your contract was with DWI, not with DHL, and as such they need to prove that they provided the item you ordered (which they can't) or give you a refund.  Start leaving negative reviews about them wherever you can and see if they react and refund you the money.  Do a mini campaign against them and also deal with Hong Kong directly too.  From what I know, DWI in Australia is just a front.  Hong Kong is where their operations are.  They have a page on Facebook (Aust).  Leave complaints there.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Daisy AU - Brisbane
( Nikon D7000 and V1 )
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ney_images/

Daisy AU's gear list:Daisy AU's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +8 more
Stakeouttoo
Contributing MemberPosts: 577Gear list
Like?

absolutely as RS_RS stated CALL CREDIT CARD company ASAP.. open an investigation at which time they will put a HOLD on paying the seller.. over time I have used my American Express card that handles this the best of all credit card companies..

also ..when purchasing electronics equipment with the AMEX card they will double the manufacturers warranty up to 5 years total.. I have made use of this and they will compensate for any repairs ( on my older Canon Xsi/450)

-- hide signature --

Ray
my Canon 60d sure beats using that ol' Petri 7s

Stakeouttoo's gear list:Stakeouttoo's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +8 more
Jeff Peterman
Forum ProPosts: 10,238Gear list
Like?

If it was shipped from Hong Kong, it could well be that they went "cheap" and under-insured it (or didn't insure it at all, leaving the default value). That means that DHL may only have paid out a small sum, such as $50, for the item even if it was worth much more. So, DWI refunded what they go back, not what you paid. Still bad on their part (and I wouldn't buy from them), but I can see their potential point.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
DSHAPK
Contributing MemberPosts: 781Gear list
Like?

DWI was double-payed for the same item. You paid via credit card and DHL reimbursed for an item not delivered.

At the least that should be illegal if not immoral.

DSHAPK's gear list:DSHAPK's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM +3 more
needmoretoys
Regular MemberPosts: 396Gear list
Like?
In reply to DSHAPK, Jul 8, 2013

DSHAPK wrote:

DWI was double-payed for the same item. You paid via credit card and DHL reimbursed for an item not delivered.

There is nothing immoral about them receiving 2 payments, as long as they resend the item paid for. It was not their fault that DHL lost the first shipment. However, DHL reimbursed them for that loss and now it is their responsibility to send an new extender for the payment made by the OP. If they refuse than I would consider it more criminal than immoral.

Things like this is one reason that I only buy over the internet from companies in the country where I live.

needmoretoys's gear list:needmoretoys's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +6 more
DrFungProductions
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to bed bug, Jul 9, 2013

Hi Stephen

Thanks for this post. I was about to purchase my Canon 70-200mm F2.8 II from DWI when a work colleague of mine warned me about them. He had told me that he ordered the Sony RX100 and the exact same thing happened to him complete with the "you should've purchased shipping insurance" line. I thought it was a one off thing, but now I can see that this probably occurs more often than we believe. I think I might just pay a little more and purchase from a more reputable place.

Also Stephen, try ACCC as well. Good luck with it and post your results with CTTT and/or ACCC to help us all stop getting bent over with these businesses.

Regards,

Tony

Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,114
Like?
In reply to RS_RS, Jul 9, 2013

RS_RS wrote:

Nasty. If you paid by credit card then you should raise the case with your card provider.

It appears from what you say that although DHL got it wrong, they reimbursed the consignor, so there is not really any reason to complain about them – things do go wrong occasionally, and they have responded correctly. The problem is that the consignor, having been reimbursed, is apparently not willing to resupply. That has to be wrong.

So the item was lost; DHL paid for the lost item back to the seller; they got paid twice for the same item, once by you and once by DHL, and you got nothing?

I hope you paid by credit (NOT DEBIT) card because you have probably got a good case to have the charge reversed and get your money back. Justice abhors forfeitures. For DWI to just say 'sorry, you should have paid for insurance so we get to keep everything' is absolutely wrong. Go to resellerratings.com and sock it to 'em there also.

bed bug
Like?
In reply to RS_RS, Jul 9, 2013

Thanks for your comments, I will contact my credit card company ASAP.

Kind regards

Stephen

RS_RS wrote:

It appears from what you say that although DHL got it wrong, they reimbursed the consignor, so there is not really any reason to complain about them – things do go wrong occasionally, and they have responded correctly. The problem is that the consignor, having been reimbursed, is apparently not willing to resupply. That has to be wrong.

bed bug
Like?
In reply to Midwest, Jul 9, 2013

I have already placed comments on the web site Product Review; I just wished I had seen this site before I had the problem

I will also leave comments on reseller.

I suspect that DWI could be defrauding DHL, but do not know for certain.

Kind regards
Stephen

Midwest wrote:

So the item was lost; DHL paid for the lost item back to the seller; they got paid twice for the same item, once by you and once by DHL, and you got nothing?

I hope you paid by credit (NOT DEBIT) card because you have probably got a good case to have the charge reversed and get your money back. Justice abhors forfeitures. For DWI to just say 'sorry, you should have paid for insurance so we get to keep everything' is absolutely wrong. Go to resellerratings.com and sock it to 'em there also.

bed bug
Like?
In reply to Daisy AU, Jul 9, 2013

If courier companies are running behind time, they will often leave an undeliverable note, which is not a very good practice of course.

As DWI is a Hong Kong based company, I am not sure that anything can be done in a small claims court, which is why I would probably have to make the claim against DHL.

Kind regards
Stephen

Daisy AU wrote:

bed bug wrote:

Looks like there are several delivery drivers in OZ that are not doing their jobs properly! About 2 months ago, I order a few small items from Amazon. I have been ordering from them for about 7 years and not one parcel has ever been lost. In this case, I waited and waited for my items to be delivered to my business address, when I suddenly received an email from Amazon that my parcel had been returned as "undeliverable"!! (mind you this was a business address, manned every weekday). They immediately offered a refund, which was processed in 3 days, so all was okay. However, what annoys me is that the courier company never attempted delivery (I think it was DHL, but am not sure).

In your case, I suggest to keep on pressuring DWI. Otherwise, take them to Small Claims Court (you don't need a solicitor for that). Your contract was with DWI, not with DHL, and as such they need to prove that they provided the item you ordered (which they can't) or give you a refund. Start leaving negative reviews about them wherever you can and see if they react and refund you the money. Do a mini campaign against them and also deal with Hong Kong directly too. From what I know, DWI in Australia is just a front. Hong Kong is where their operations are. They have a page on Facebook (Aust). Leave complaints there.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Daisy AU - Brisbane
( Nikon D7000 and V1 )
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ney_images/

bed bug
Like?
In reply to DrFungProductions, Jul 9, 2013

Thank you Tony, it is great to hear that you stayed away from the DWI fraudsters. Thanks also for your suggestions.

Kind regards
Stephen

DrFungProductions wrote:

Hi Stephen

Thanks for this post. I was about to purchase my Canon 70-200mm F2.8 II from DWI when a work colleague of mine warned me about them. He had told me that he ordered the Sony RX100 and the exact same thing happened to him complete with the "you should've purchased shipping insurance" line. I thought it was a one off thing, but now I can see that this probably occurs more often than we believe. I think I might just pay a little more and purchase from a more reputable place.

Also Stephen, try ACCC as well. Good luck with it and post your results with CTTT and/or ACCC to help us all stop getting bent over with these businesses.

Regards,

Tony

bed bug
Like?
In reply to Stakeouttoo, Jul 9, 2013

Will do, the item was purchased on an AMEX and so may be I will be lucky in not having any money go to the scamsters.

Kind regards
Stephen

Stakeouttoo wrote:

absolutely as RS_RS stated CALL CREDIT CARD company ASAP.. open an investigation at which time they will put a HOLD on paying the seller.. over time I have used my American Express card that handles this the best of all credit card companies..

also ..when purchasing electronics equipment with the AMEX card they will double the manufacturers warranty up to 5 years total.. I have made use of this and they will compensate for any repairs ( on my older Canon Xsi/450)

-- hide signature --

Ray
my Canon 60d sure beats using that ol' Petri 7s

bed bug
Like?
In reply to Jeff Peterman, Jul 9, 2013

I can see what you are saying Jeff, but I still feel that DWI went into a contract with myself in which they failed to deliver.

Frankly I can not understand why they are like this and why they are being so difficult. An upset customer tells at least six others about their negative experience and with social media this figure becomes even greater. I guess that the actual value lost may have been around 350 to them, but with all the negative publicity, this would mount to thousands.

This is one pig headed stupid, stupid company.

Kind regards
Stephen

Jeff Peterman wrote:

If it was shipped from Hong Kong, it could well be that they went "cheap" and under-insured it (or didn't insure it at all, leaving the default value). That means that DHL may only have paid out a small sum, such as $50, for the item even if it was worth much more. So, DWI refunded what they go back, not what you paid. Still bad on their part (and I wouldn't buy from them), but I can see their potential point.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

bed bug
Like?
In reply to DSHAPK, Jul 9, 2013

As I stated earlier, if this is the case then DWI would be defrauding the courier company. I guess we will never know how much DWI received from DHL.

Kind regards
Stephen

DSHAPK wrote:

Doug J
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,643
Like?
In reply to bed bug, Jul 9, 2013

Sorry to hear about the problems you've had, it's good to post it so others can learn of your experience. It's odd that DHL would DWI for the loss, as DWI didn't loose anything in this transaction. Unless the intention was for DWI to ship an immediate replacement, which they didn't do.

I hope you get it sorted out to your satisfaction.

bed bug
Like?
In reply to Doug J, Jul 10, 2013

Thanks Doug, I certainly wish to warn everyone about this dodgy company.

Kind regards
Stephen

Doug J wrote:

Sorry to hear about the problems you've had, it's good to post it so others can learn of your experience. It's odd that DHL would DWI for the loss, as DWI didn't loose anything in this transaction. Unless the intention was for DWI to ship an immediate replacement, which they didn't do.

JohnJ851
Regular MemberPosts: 362Gear list
Like?
In reply to bed bug, Jul 10, 2013

bed bug wrote:

Thanks Doug, I certainly wish to warn everyone about this dodgy company.

Kind regards
Stephen

Doug J wrote:

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Doug

Ring DWI and tell them you're contacting Office of Fair Trading, business' are getting a bit uneasy when they hear that.

Have tried with a company in Sydney and it helped instantly, I got an email same afternoon they would refund the funds I paid them.

JohnJ

JohnJ851's gear list:JohnJ851's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED
bed bug
Like?
In reply to JohnJ851, Jul 10, 2013

The problem is that DWI are a Hong Kong based company and (as I understand it), the OFT has no control of what happens outside of Australia. Please correct me if wrong!

Thanks for your comments, appreciated.

Kind regards
Stephen

JohnJ851 wrote:

Ring DWI and tell them you're contacting Office of Fair Trading, business' are getting a bit uneasy when they hear that.

Have tried with a company in Sydney and it helped instantly, I got an email same afternoon they would refund the funds I paid them.

JohnJ

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads