Ming Thein DP3 Merrill review

Started Jul 8, 2013 | Discussions
Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 3,313Gear list
Like?
Re: Ming Thein DP3 Merrill review
In reply to TalleyrandBH, Jul 10, 2013

Good review!  The grip should be incorporated into the camera design, so a regular SD14/15 SD1M battery could be used instead of the lowlife battery in the camera at the moment.  Call it a DP3Me.

Better battery life, better ergonomics, better looking, sounds really good!

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PrebenR
Senior MemberPosts: 2,434
Like?
Re: Not at all a problem
In reply to Kendall Helmstetter Gelner, Jul 10, 2013
PrebenR
Senior MemberPosts: 2,434
Like?
Re: Ming Thein DP3 Merrill review
In reply to Tom Schum, Jul 10, 2013

Definitely not better looks.
--
Lightwriting with Sigma

richard stone
Senior MemberPosts: 1,535
Like?
Re: Really good review
In reply to Hornbrille, Jul 11, 2013

Hornbrille wrote:

For such portraits it's necessary to lower the chrominance noise reduction to a minimum as described bei Bob in the X3-Magazine. I'd additionally lower the contrast and limit fill-light to 0.3 or less. BTW: I stopped showing unprocessed images to my wife and my mother in law.

Uwe 8-)

It's my belief that the Foveon sensor is somewhat sensitive to wavelengths that people don't actually "see," in real life...Sort of the visual equivalent to dog whistles. So subcutaneous "skin" flaws show. It's not exactly that we choose not to see such flaws, it's more that we don't see them at all. Calling it micro-contrast heads off in the wrong direction. Yet, on the other hand, sharpness plays a role, because suitably blurred the image looks more pleasing.

So unless the model is a (very) young person, where the skin looks remarkably good, or the model is wearing enough make up to prevent any real skin from showing, be ready.

-- hide signature --
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,152Gear list
Like?
Not an issue of self-image
In reply to PrebenR, Jul 11, 2013

PrebenR wrote:

http://petapixel.com/2013/07/10/dont-let-the-retouched-photographs-of-the-world-affect-your-own-self-image/

That's all well and good to say.  I agree that many women are misled by such editing into thinking their own skin is terribly imperfect when in fact they are normal.

But the reality of the situation is that an image shot for a model to find work MUST be retouched, because everyone else's is.  It's not a matter of self-image, it's a commercial issue.  The people looking at portfolios all know model images have been retouched, but if one looks different (in a bad way) they will not take the time to think about why, they will simply discard that model from consideration.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Scott Greiff
Senior MemberPosts: 1,564Gear list
Like?
Re: Really good review
In reply to Kendall Helmstetter Gelner, Jul 11, 2013

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

That's a pretty good review of the DP-3M, although I disagree a bit that the body without a grip is hard to hold. I don't think it's that bad.

True. I have a grip on my DP1M, but with the DP3M I find that my grip includes holding the lens, so I don't mind it too much.  The problem, with any of the DPs is the shape is not too single-handed-hold friendly.

One guy in the comments dislikes the images because of too *much* micro-contrast! He finds it distracting. Interesting, and I've not heard anyone say that before.

That reader must really like Disneyland.

-Scott

Scott Greiff's gear list:Scott Greiff's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD15
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads