Third party grip for D300?

Started Jul 7, 2013 | Discussions
Richy6771
Contributing MemberPosts: 600Gear list
Like?
Third party grip for D300?
Jul 7, 2013

What would be a good but inexpensive grip for the D300? The Nikon grip is quite expensive, so I'm ruling that out. Thanks in advance for your expert input.

Richy6771's gear list:Richy6771's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 +1 more
Nikon D300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chuck Steenburgh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,982Gear list
Like?
Re: Third party grip for D300?
In reply to Richy6771, Jul 7, 2013

Of those available now, I'd recommend the Phottix. It's not as cheap as some out there, but it's well made.  Phottix also stands behind their products; they replaced my Kosmo (EN4 battery pack) under warranty with no hassles.

http://amzn.to/16XZq8b

The Zeikos is another alternative, but I have no experience with it.

http://amzn.to/1803ypp

By and large, third party grips are most notably different from the genuine article in terms of how well they mate to the body (they can be slightly wobbly) and generally "cheaper" feel to them. But I have used many grips (including Nikon) and if you buy from a reputable source they are functionally equivalent.

http://sportsphotoguy.com/phottix-bp-d300-battery-pack/

Chuck Steenburgh's gear list:Chuck Steenburgh's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-FH20 Nikon Coolpix S800c Nikon D40 Nikon D70 Nikon D7000 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kerry Pierce
Forum ProPosts: 17,198Gear list
Like?
In reply to Richy6771, Jul 7, 2013

Richy6771 wrote:

What would be a good but inexpensive grip for the D300? The Nikon grip is quite expensive, so I'm ruling that out. Thanks in advance for your expert input.

Hi Richy,

FWIW, I am using a DSTE grip on one of my cameras, along with one of their D4 en-el18 battery clones. I've had the grip/battery for several months without issue. It's the only 3rd party grip that I own and it competes well with the Nikon grips that I have on some other cameras. Operationally and physically, I don't notice a difference between it and my Nikon grips, when I change cameras. But, it is a plastic of some type, so it isn't quite as well made as some Nikon grips, which have a metal chasis like the d300 does.

They have a store on Ebay. I bought a package deal with the grip, battery trays and D4 battery clone and battery charger for about $80 US, which included shipping from Hong Kong.

EDIT: I was mistaken on the price. The package was $90.

good luck

Kerry

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 +11 more
joeybob
Contributing MemberPosts: 518Gear list
Like?
In reply to Richy6771, Jul 8, 2013

Richy6771 wrote:

IMHO there are two ways of looking at this...

There is an expense like this:

http://youtu.be/RYZEwhuAlu0

Or there is an expense like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-MB-D10-Multi-Power-Battery-Grip-for-D300-D300s-D700-NICE-181-ROBERTS-/140996234310?pt=US_Camera_Battery_Grips&hash=item20d407cc46

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Nikon-MB-D10-Camera-Battery-Grip-with-EN-EL4-Lithium-Ion-Battery-/271232279889?pt=US_Camera_Battery_Grips&hash=item3f26b42551

I bought two MB-D10 grips used. One from E-Bay and another from Craigslist locally. Both work flawlessly. I paid ~$100.00 for each a couple years back. The above two links are examples of what is available used right now on ebay. I can't say I'd recommend either seller (although I have bought from Roberts Before with no problems). You may also have some luck at B & H used dept or KEH.

Just my $0.02

joeybob's gear list:joeybob's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +28 more
Richy6771
Like?
In reply to joeybob, Jul 8, 2013

Thanks to you all for your invaluable input. I appreciate it.

Richy

Gpruitt54
Forum MemberPosts: 84Gear list
Like?
In reply to Richy6771, Jul 10, 2013

Yeah, today, I received one of these 3rd party (totally no-name) battery grips from an Ebay store. See the link below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120978219063?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

There are a few problems with this product and some good points as well:

1. The Ad says it comes with one AA holder, one EN-EL3 holder, and one EN-EL4 holder. The package did not include the EN-EL4 holder. Figures, that is the one I really need. So not I have to send it back to China.
  2. The overall construction seems OK. It is now as strongly built as the Nikon grip for my D200. There is a noticeable difference in build quality, as you might expect. It is not as if the thing will fall apart, but there is a difference.
  3. There is no weather seal around the opening to the battery compartment. On the other hand, I am not sure that my Genuine Nikon for the D200 has a weather seal. I need to check on that.
  4. The rubberized material on the grip looks and feels identical to that on the D300 itself.
  5. The lock lever on the vertical grip feels flimsy and not attached very well. I feel that one slight pump and that lever is gone, never to be seen again.
  6. The wheels on the grip have a nice positive feel.  If only the lock lever where that well built.
  7. Here is the big one... The mount to the camera seems very flimsy.  I fear tightening it too much for fear of stripping cheap metal gears. When it is tightened, there is lots of play in the tightening wheel. Some of this is also evident in my genuine Nikon grip for my D200.

Would I buy another one... Not a chance.  Failing to include the EN-EL4 battery holder was the kiss of death for me and shows poor attention to detail.  I hate to say this, because I am the frugal Photographer, but spend a little more and buy a better unit. However, not as much as the Guanine Nikon grips. That is simply too much.

So, the question begs answering, how do you tell a cheap fall apart grip from the strong one? Not a clue. Maybe someone else can answer that question. Because, it looks like I am in the market for another grip.

Gpruitt54's gear list:Gpruitt54's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +4 more
windsprite
Senior MemberPosts: 1,983Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gpruitt54, Jul 10, 2013

You know, I bought exactly the same grip from Amazon Japan, for about the same price, and had the same problem.  I could have sworn in the Amazon product description the EN-EL4 adapter was included, but it was not in the package I received.  I wanted the grip for a photo trip and didn't have time to deal with returning it, etc., so I wound up taking my chances buying a BL3 battery chamber door and hoping it would work with the Chinese grip.  Luckily it did.

The grip works OK.  As you said, the overall feel of the product is actually pretty pretty solid and blends in well with the material and build of my D300 and D700.  Some of the buttons and other fiddly parts feel cheesy and plasticky, especially the four-way button, though it works OK for now.   I didn't think the AF-ON button worked as well as the ones on my Nikon bodies or my D2H integrated grip.  Seemed like I missed focus on a lot of shots, so I switched over to using the buttons on the camera body, but maybe the third-party AF-ON button just requires more pressure or something, I don't know.

I do get the same frame rate you would expect with the Nikon grip and EN-EL4, and the whole package did work out to be cheaper than buying a Nikon grip, so I'm fairly happy.  I'm just annoyed that they lie about the product.  If I'd had more time, I would have returned it and bought a real Nikon grip.  As mentioned above, if you're patient you can get them at KEH for around $105 WITH battery chamber door for the EN-EL4.   A second-hand Nikon product costs only a little more than third party.  Consider it insurance.

Julie

Gpruitt54 wrote:

Yeah, today, I received one of these 3rd party (totally no-name) battery grips from an Ebay store. See the link below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120978219063?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

1. The Ad says it comes with one AA holder, one EN-EL3 holder, and one EN-EL4 holder. The package did not include the EN-EL4 holder. Figures, that is the one I really need. So not I have to send it back to China.
  2. The overall construction seems OK. It is now as strongly built as the Nikon grip for my D200. There is a noticeable difference in build quality, as you might expect. It is not as if the thing will fall apart, but there is a difference.
  3. There is no weather seal around the opening to the battery compartment. On the other hand, I am not sure that my Genuine Nikon for the D200 has a weather seal. I need to check on that.
  4. The rubberized material on the grip looks and feels identical to that on the D300 itself.
  5. The lock lever on the vertical grip feels flimsy and not attached very well. I feel that one slight pump and that lever is gone, never to be seen again.
  6. The wheels on the grip have a nice positive feel. If only the lock lever where that well built.
  7. Here is the big one... The mount to the camera seems very flimsy. I fear tightening it too much for fear of stripping cheap metal gears. When it is tightened, there is lots of play in the tightening wheel. Some of this is also evident in my genuine Nikon grip for my D200.

Would I buy another one... Not a chance. Failing to include the EN-EL4 battery holder was the kiss of death for me and shows poor attention to detail. I hate to say this, because I am the frugal Photographer, but spend a little more and buy a better unit. However, not as much as the Guanine Nikon grips. That is simply too much.

So, the question begs answering, how do you tell a cheap fall apart grip from the strong one? Not a clue. Maybe someone else can answer that question. Because, it looks like I am in the market for another grip.

windsprite's gear list:windsprite's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D2H Nikon D300 +36 more
Gpruitt54
Like?
In reply to windsprite, Jul 10, 2013

Oh, that is funny.  So the missing EN-EL4 battery holder is not just a mistake, It is an out and out lie on the part of the seller. I really needed that EN-EL4 holder to share batteries with my D2h.  So, I am not happy. I am wanting for the seller to contact me so we can come with a solution.

I have found a few used Nikon Battery grips, but the Nikon grip does not include a holder for the EN-EL4. So, I would have to buy one separately, over a above the price of the grip itself.  I am not sure what direction to go with this. I need the grip.

Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +4 more
tommo13
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
In reply to joeybob, Jul 11, 2013

Below is a link to a grip from Best Battery.  I ordered on any it works just fine.  I was a little surprised that it only held on Nikon battery.  Should have read the fine print.  It will also hold larger el-4 battery, but requires ordering the extra stuff to utilize that option.  I've used it now for two weeks and everything about works and the build is good.  Good luck in your quest.

http://www.bestbatt.com/Nikon-MB-D10-Battery-Grip-for-D300-p/bbd300grip.htm

Gpruitt54
Like?
In reply to Gpruitt54, Jul 12, 2013

Gpruitt54 wrote:

6. The wheels on the grip have a nice positive feel.  If only the lock lever where that well built.
  7. Here is the big one... The mount to the camera seems very flimsy.  I fear tightening it too much for fear of stripping cheap metal gears. When it is tightened, there is lots of play in the tightening wheel. Some of this is also evident in my genuine Nikon grip for my D200.

Would I buy another one... Not a chance.  Failing to include the EN-EL4 battery holder was the kiss of death for me and shows poor attention to detail.  I hate to say this, because I am the frugal Photographer, but spend a little more and buy a better unit. However, not as much as the Guanine Nikon grips. That is simply too much.

Comment about this Ebay seller:

I reported that the item  shown and described in their Ebay ad is not the item shipped to my home. The ad shows 4 items:

• The grip
  • AA battery tray
  • EN-EL3 battery holder
  • EN-EL4 battery holder (described as "one Li-ion" holder)

In an email from the seller they said the product did not come with an EN-EL4 battery holder. Yes, believe it! So not only is their ad deceptive, but the seller flat out lies about what he is selling relative to what is being shown and described on his website.

I asked for a refund.  We'll see where that goes. In the meantime, I am buying a genuine Nikon Battery grip.  Lesson learned.

MMuddler
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,388
Like?
In reply to Richy6771, Jul 12, 2013

Just for perspective, if you were to sell your D300 with the grip, the folks at the store won't give you anything for the MBD10 because ..... ? they've got so many and they don't move?  So poke around at KEH or BHPhoto and see what it costs to get a used MBD10

-- hide signature --
NickRno77
Contributing MemberPosts: 676Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gpruitt54, Jul 12, 2013

Gpruitt54 wrote:

Gpruitt54 wrote:

6. The wheels on the grip have a nice positive feel. If only the lock lever where that well built.
  7. Here is the big one... The mount to the camera seems very flimsy. I fear tightening it too much for fear of stripping cheap metal gears. When it is tightened, there is lots of play in the tightening wheel. Some of this is also evident in my genuine Nikon grip for my D200.

Would I buy another one... Not a chance. Failing to include the EN-EL4 battery holder was the kiss of death for me and shows poor attention to detail. I hate to say this, because I am the frugal Photographer, but spend a little more and buy a better unit. However, not as much as the Guanine Nikon grips. That is simply too much.

I reported that the item shown and described in their Ebay ad is not the item shipped to my home. The ad shows 4 items:

• The grip
  • AA battery tray
  • EN-EL3 battery holder

In an email from the seller they said the product did not come with an EN-EL4 battery holder. Yes, believe it! So not only is their ad deceptive, but the seller flat out lies about what he is selling relative to what is being shown and described on his website.

I asked for a refund. We'll see where that goes. In the meantime, I am buying a genuine Nikon Battery grip. Lesson learned.

Looking at the item it doesn't say anything about a BL3 being included although it does show a photo of one. Did you ask him to send you the missing BL3 or did you just give him negative feed back? Most ebay sellers would have given you a refund for the BL3 or sent you the BL3 rather than getting bad feed back.

I've just ordered this one:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330894690736?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

it states it comes with a BL3, now I'm worried because it doesn't say anything about a EN-EL3 holder being included. Oopsss

-- hide signature --

Nick -

NickRno77's gear list:NickRno77's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +1 more
Gpruitt54
Like?
In reply to NickRno77, Jul 13, 2013

NickRno77 wrote:

Gpruitt54 wrote:

Gpruitt54 wrote:

I reported that the item shown and described in their Ebay ad is not the item shipped to my home. The ad shows 4 items:

• The grip
  • AA battery tray
  • EN-EL3 battery holder

I asked for a refund. We'll see where that goes. In the meantime, I am buying a genuine Nikon Battery grip. Lesson learned.

Looking at the item it doesn't say anything about a BL3 being included although it does show a photo of one. Did you ask him to send you the missing BL3 or did you just give him negative feed back? Most ebay sellers would have given you a refund for the BL3 or sent you the BL3 rather than getting bad feed back.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330894690736?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

it states it comes with a BL3, now I'm worried because it doesn't say anything about a EN-EL3 holder being included. Oopsss

-- hide signature --

Nick -

Yes, I did ask the seller to send me the missing BL3. The seller has not responded yet.  Ebay asked me to wait until 15th July before taking additional action.  No, I have not posted any feedback, yet.  I have sent several emails to the seller, with no response.  Today I will warn the seller I will post a detailed negative feed back if I have not heard from them by 15 July.

I looked at the link. These things all look alike. As such, mine looks just like it. Like the product I purchase, this ad also shows items while failing to list in writing other items, supposedly included in the sale.  Looks like a tactic.

I currently looking for a nice used genuine Nikon MB-D10. I am tired of dealing with these cheap and flimsy off shore products.  But at the same time, if you can fine a good one, you cannot beat the price of the Chinese knock-off products. Like the one you are looking at. I've seen others similar products on Ebay where they perfectly copy the colors and style of the Nikon packaging.  Nikon cannot be happy with that.

Gpruitt54
Like?
In reply to MMuddler, Jul 13, 2013

MMuddler wrote:

Just for perspective, if you were to sell your D300 with the grip, the folks at the store won't give you anything for the MBD10 because ..... ? they've got so many and they don't move? So poke around at KEH or BHPhoto and see what it costs to get a used MBD10

-- hide signature --

Yes, that is exactly what I am doing.  A month ago, I bought a genuine Nikon grip on my D200 and it is build like a tank.  I just want something with great build quality.

Thanks
Greg

NickRno77
Like?
In reply to Gpruitt54, Jul 13, 2013

NickRno77 wrote:

Gpruitt54 wrote:

Gpruitt54 wrote:

• The grip
  • AA battery tray
  • EN-EL3 battery holder

-- hide signature --

Nick -

Yes, I did ask the seller to send me the missing BL3. The seller has not responded yet.  Ebay asked me to wait until 15th July before taking additional action.  No, I have not posted any feedback, yet.  I have sent several emails to the seller, with no response.  Today I will warn the seller I will post a detailed negative feed back if I have not heard from them by 15 July.

I looked at the link. These things all look alike. As such, mine looks just like it. Like the product I purchase, this ad also shows items while failing to list in writing other items, supposedly included in the sale.  Looks like a tactic.

I currently looking for a nice used genuine Nikon MB-D10. I am tired of dealing with these cheap and flimsy off shore products.  But at the same time, if you can fine a good one, you cannot beat the price of the Chinese knock-off products. Like the one you are looking at. I've seen others similar products on Ebay where they perfectly copy the colors and style of the Nikon packaging.  Nikon cannot be happy with that.

Having shopped in eBay for quite some time and purchased quite s lot of third party copied items like this I sort of expect this.

I sent this.
Dear link-delight-na,

Hi I've just purchased this item, can you tell me if an EN-EL3e battery tray is included?

Thanks
----------
And got this reply:-
Dear nick

Thanks for your contact.
The item include :
Battery Grip for Nikon D300 D700 x1
Battery Holder for 8 AA batteries x1
Battery Cover for Nikon BL-3 x1

Hope you would like it.

Feel free to contact us if you have any problem.
Best regards
Liz
2013 Linkdelight
-----------
So now I'm none the wiser lol

I'll wait and see what I get, if I don't get the EL3e battery tray ill try and buy one seperately or just use AA's which I intended to do anyway.

If you end up keeping the Chinese grip and still want a BL3 try this:- http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=180948039921

Good Luck

-- hide signature --

Nick -

Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +1 more
wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,331
Like?
In reply to Richy6771, Jul 13, 2013

I used this for my D700 to increase its burst rate. It will do the same for the D300.  I sold both the D700 and this grip because I don't need them.  I am using the D3s now.

Gpruitt54
Like?
In reply to wasserball, Jul 13, 2013

wasserball wrote:

I used this for my D700 to increase its burst rate. It will do the same for the D300. I sold both the D700 and this grip because I don't need them. I am using the D3s now.

Of the many Chinese grips out there, the Meike brand gets pretty high marks.

Can you speak to the build quality? Can you tell me of the construction, specifically the construction of the AF-On button and the lock lever as well as the tripod tightening ring? The one I bought has very cheaply attached and wobbly AF-ON button and lock lever. Also, the tripod tightening wheel feels like it might break if tightened more than a little.

Gpruitt54
Like?
In reply to NickRno77, Jul 13, 2013

NickRno77 wrote:

NickRno77 wrote:

Gpruitt54 wrote:

Gpruitt54 wrote:

• The grip
  • AA battery tray
  • EN-EL3 battery holder

-- hide signature --

Nick -

Yes, I did ask the seller to send me the missing BL3. The seller has not responded yet. Ebay asked me to wait until 15th July before taking additional action. No, I have not posted any feedback, yet. I have sent several emails to the seller, with no response. Today I will warn the seller I will post a detailed negative feed back if I have not heard from them by 15 July.

I looked at the link. These things all look alike. As such, mine looks just like it. Like the product I purchase, this ad also shows items while failing to list in writing other items, supposedly included in the sale. Looks like a tactic.

I currently looking for a nice used genuine Nikon MB-D10. I am tired of dealing with these cheap and flimsy off shore products. But at the same time, if you can fine a good one, you cannot beat the price of the Chinese knock-off products. Like the one you are looking at. I've seen others similar products on Ebay where they perfectly copy the colors and style of the Nikon packaging. Nikon cannot be happy with that.

Having shopped in eBay for quite some time and purchased quite s lot of third party copied items like this I sort of expect this.

I sent this.
Dear link-delight-na,

Hi I've just purchased this item, can you tell me if an EN-EL3e battery tray is included?

Thanks
----------
And got this reply:-
Dear nick

Thanks for your contact.
The item include :
Battery Grip for Nikon D300 D700 x1
Battery Holder for 8 AA batteries x1
Battery Cover for Nikon BL-3 x1

Hope you would like it.

Feel free to contact us if you have any problem.
Best regards
Liz
2013 Linkdelight
-----------
So now I'm none the wiser lol

I'll wait and see what I get, if I don't get the EL3e battery tray ill try and buy one seperately or just use AA's which I intended to do anyway.

If you end up keeping the Chinese grip and still want a BL3 try this:- http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=180948039921

Good Luck

-- hide signature --

Nick -

Great Nick,

You are having much better luck than I am.  The jokers I bought from are not returning any of my communications. I did purchase a BL-3 from KEH camera.

Please post a detailed report on the quality of the grip you bought, I may buy one. I don't feel that the one I have will hold up for long. It is just too dang cheesy.

NickRno77
Like?
In reply to Gpruitt54, Jul 13, 2013

Great Nick,

You are having much better luck than I am. The jokers I bought from are not returning any of my communications. I did purchase a BL-3 from KEH camera.

Please post a detailed report on the quality of the grip you bought, I may buy one. I don't feel that the one I have will hold up for long. It is just too dang cheesy.

I will, watch this vid Meike Nikon MB-D10 clone battery grip for D700 unboxing and Installation plus 8 FPS example.I think he was lucky he got a Meike which have quite a good reputation? Not sure if mine will be a Meike.

-- hide signature --

Nick -

Richy6771
Like?
In reply to Richy6771, Jul 14, 2013

Thanks to all for your invaluable input. I'm sorry I opened a can of worms.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads