Regular MemberPosts: 336
Like?
Would you consider the 70D to be
Jul 7, 2013

an upgrade to the existing 7D?

-- hide signature --

John

Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
leopold
Forum ProPosts: 12,539Gear list
Like?
Re: Would you consider the 70D to be
In reply to jwhphotos, Jul 7, 2013

I don't think, it's not the same category of camera, sure there is some upgrades from the 7D but it's not the same target.

leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Private Custard
Senior MemberPosts: 1,734Gear list
Like?

Sensor, yes, possibly, probably, maybe!

Everything else, probably not.......and I don't take video into account, if it has it at all, it's just an interesting curiosity to me, not a deal-breaker/maker.

Private Custard's gear list:Private Custard's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-510 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +8 more
Don Richardson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,443Gear list
Like?
In reply to Private Custard, Jul 7, 2013

70D has a new sensor and the new Dual Pixel AF system in Live View and Video but the AF used with the view finder is less than the 7D. IMHO, at best it's better but not meant to be the 7D upgrade.

-- hide signature --
 Don Richardson's gear list:Don Richardson's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Epson Artisan 835 +1 more
Lajos Hajdu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,587
Like?
Definitely not unless...

Definitely not unless the new sensor brings better photo quality (less high-ISO noise and more detail in RAW), and unless the new hybrid video mode works with Sigma lenses.

exactopposite
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?

it could be an upgrade for someone who is more into video than stills. The focusing for video looks like an amazing feature, but I haven't seen any tests of it. Other than that nothing about it is an upgrade except for maybe the sensor. The jury is still out.

The ergonomics look like a downgrade to me, but I know that's subjective.  I don't think it's intended to be the same class of camera.

I definitely wouldn't trade my 7d for a 70d.

Private Custard
Senior MemberPosts: 1,734Gear list
Like?
In reply to Don Richardson, Jul 7, 2013

I'd be happy paying less money for a camera without live view and video.

I just want it to take stills brilliantly (using the viewfinder), all this other crap is a waste of time......in my opinion anyway.

Private Custard's gear list:Private Custard's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-510 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +8 more
jwhphotos
Regular MemberPosts: 336
Like?
In reply to exactopposite, Jul 7, 2013

I too have a 7D and the live-view focusing is of interest to me since I use that quite a bit although not for video which I don't care about. The price is attractive and it seems like there are a number of improvements over the 7D. IQ remains to be seen and that along with focus speed and accuracy will, for me, make it or break it.

-- hide signature --

John

JRFlorendo
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?

jwhphotos wrote:

an upgrade to the existing 7D?

70D VS 7D For video, yes. Stills like sports or bif, no/yes(dual pixel af could be game changer).

fps: 7 vs 8

cr2 buffer: 16 vs 25

jpeg buffer: 65 vs 123

af x-types: SAME

af pts: SAME

af expansion: SAME

dual pixel af: yes vs no

body cpu: 1 vs 2

silent mode: 2nd Gen. vs 1st Gen.

built-in wifi: yes vs no

lcd: articulating vs fixed

electronic level: 1 axis vs 2 axis

touch screen: yes vs no

live view: fast vs slow

af tracking in video: YES vs none

weight: 755g vs 820g

body material: plastic vs metal

weather sealing: SAME

HDR mode: yes vs none

multiexposure: yes vs none

VF coverage: 98% vs 100%

VF magnification: .95x vs 1.0x

flash x-sync: SAME

MP: 20.2 vs 18.0

flash commander: SAME

storage type: 1sd vs 1cf

IQ: unknown vs Ok

price: $1199 vs $1299(now)

PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,874Gear list
Like?

Not a 7D upgrade, or replacement. That will come soon, I expect.

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
atodzia
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
In reply to PC Wheeler, Jul 7, 2013

For me, yes. As long as it less noise at ISO 800 than the 7D had. I sold my 7D because of the noise and have been using the 5D Mark III for everything since. Also being able to use my 400mm with a 2x and autofocus in live view is a big plus for birds and also the articulated screen. For normal viewfinder type shots, especially in low light, I will prefer to continue using my 5D 3.

I sold my 7D soon after I got the 5D Mark III and have been waiting for a 1.6 crop with less noise as an additional camera. I hope the 70D is it.

Stakeouttoo
Contributing MemberPosts: 617Gear list
Like?

Private Custard wrote:

I just want it to take stills brilliantly (using the viewfinder), all this other crap is a waste of time......in my opinion anyway.

I'll second that... they can keep both live view and video.. don't use it..don't want it..don't need it... for the occasional video I take I still have my Canon 850is P&S and my FlipĀ 

-- hide signature --

Ray
my Canon 60d sure beats using that ol' Petri 7s

Stakeouttoo's gear list:Stakeouttoo's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +8 more
Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 3,995Gear list
Like?

If you are looking for a 7D this may be a contender. But owning a 7D I don't think so.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
olmail
Senior MemberPosts: 1,100Gear list
Like?

i might find a use for live view sometime. probably give me a better macro now and then. but i could easily do w/out video. of course, it isn't a "one size fits all" world is it?

olmail's gear list:olmail's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +5 more
mailman88
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,870Gear list
Like?
In reply to atodzia, Jul 7, 2013

NOISE, NOISE REALLY. I gotta stop using 3200ISO with my 7D and printing 13x19.

mailman88's gear list:mailman88's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +4 more
atodzia
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
In reply to mailman88, Jul 7, 2013

Try printing 24 x 36 and shooting ISO 800 and 1600. Of course it depends on the scene as well. And if you have to crop, it makes it even worse. But really, YES! Or I just may be spoiled with the 5D II and then III. I don't want to be limited to 13 x 19 prints. And with birds, lots of time you are cropping because you have to grab the shot or are not close enough. That's mainly what I used the 7D for when I had it. Maybe a had a noisy version. For your purposes it sounds just fine.

mailman88
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,870Gear list
Like?
In reply to atodzia, Jul 7, 2013

If I had a 24 x 36 printer ...I would be shooting ISO 800,1600 and 3200 with my 7D.

My forte is post processing and noise reduction. So its not a problem.

mailman88's gear list:mailman88's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +4 more
BillsLIPhotos
Contributing MemberPosts: 662
Like?

Private Custard wrote:

I don't care about video myself but I do find live view to be useful when taking long exposures. I am able to put a 10 stop ND filter on my lens, compose, and focus using live view. Looking though the view finder it's completely black. I used to compose, focus, switch to manual, put the ND filter on and then shoot. Usually I moved something a little bit which isn't the end of the world. A friend suggested using live view and I was pleasantly surprised. For this reason I want live view.

More on topic - I wouldn't consider the 70D to be an upgrade. Just an updated version of the lower end model. I'm sure there will be something better than the current 7D (hopefully the sensor) but if I had a 7D there is no way I would trade it for the 70D. That said, for me personally, the 70D works out well for me since it uses SD cards, the same remote shutter release, has all of the functionality I really need, and it is a bit cheaper so I will finally upgrade for 450D. I was actually looking to buy a 7D earlier this spring and the store was out of stock so I decided to wait a little longer. Buying 6 CF cards and a new remote shutter release doesn't sound like a lot but it adds another $2-300 to the cost of the camera for me...

Karl Gnter Wnsch
Forum ProPosts: 10,083Gear list
Like?
No

No 100% viewfinder, slower fps, slower card writing speed, slower card format, less durable shutter, less viewfinder magnification, less usable body (lacking many direct access controls), smaller, lacks the dedicated AF processor and some important AF modes - so no, the 70D is for the most part quite a severe downgrade on the 7D...

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

westcoasthd
Regular MemberPosts: 464
Like?
Re: 7D vs 70D
In reply to Karl Gnter Wnsch, Jul 7, 2013

At the current prices which camera 7D vs 70D is a better value, if you would shoot video 50% of the time. I believe I read that the still AF module is from the 7D, so I would think AF performance would be similar between the two. Are most 7D users happy with the current AF performance? The 70D seems to have the edge in video alone. I would assume it would also do better in low light performance given the ISO ratings, the difference between 7 and 8 FPS isn't major to me. If I changed, I would be selling a D7000, which I use mainly for video. The still AF on the D7000 is not as good as a Nikon D300, but good enough that I get consistent results. I would not want any lower AF performance, and MP sensor size doesn't really matter to me.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads