Replace my RX100 with a HX50V?

Started Jul 7, 2013 | Discussions
lenshoarder
Contributing MemberPosts: 597
Like?
Replace my RX100 with a HX50V?
Jul 7, 2013

I actually considered it today.  I was at a Sony store and tried out the HX50V.  It was amazing.  The zoom is phenomenal.  I hate digital zooms but I have to say that even the digital zoom on the HX50V is amazing.  I'll have to say it's been than what post procesing could do.  Sony must be working some magic like they do with handheld twilight mode.  At the review after you take the shot, it looks horrible.  Then the camera thinks for a second or two and updates the review and it's beautiful.  Just like what happens with handheld twilight mode.  I was all the way on the other side of the showroom from someone trying out a desktop.  I could zoom in so tight that the text on the screen looked like I was shooting it in macro mode.  With my naked eye, it was just a tiny glowing screen.

Sony has proven that it can make a decent grip on the HX50V.  It's not the different in size than the RX100.  Why don't they put the same grip on the RX100?

I walked out of that store seriously considering replacing my RX100 with a HX50V for travel.  Then I got home and compared images at imaging resources.  That broke the spell.  The HX50V is a phenomenal zoom camera.  The RX100 has much better IQ.  Maybe I should start carrying around two cameras.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
daRRski
Contributing MemberPosts: 848Gear list
Like?
Re: Replace my RX100 with a HX50V?
In reply to lenshoarder, Jul 7, 2013

Hi

Just got HX-50V couple of hours ago...here are some pix...video quality is just amazing..still trying make a judgement of IQ

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51763404

Cheers

daRRski

daRRski's gear list:daRRski's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus Tough TG-2 Canon EOS 5D Nikon D70s Nikon D7100 +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BubbaHotepUK
Regular MemberPosts: 410Gear list
Like?

Get both

I've got both the RX100 and the HX20V, the predecessor to the HX50V.

Both are great cameras, the HX20V is a general purpose "Swiss Army Knife", the RX100 more akin to a scalpel.

The HX20V trumps the RX100 in terms of reach, video and macro, but in sheer IQ & manual control the HX20V is a long, long way behind the RX100.  I imagine the HX50V is the same (if not worse, since they've crammed an extra 2 million pixels onto the same size sensor in the HX50V).

BubbaHotepUK's gear list:BubbaHotepUK's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 70D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Beckler8
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?

I started this thread a few days ago regarding basically the same issue:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51747165

I'm still on the fence but leaning toward the HX50.  The problem is simply that they both have severe shortcomings - and carrying both is ridiculous.  What's one to do...

Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,193Gear list
Like?

Like why?  The RX100  has better IQ.

But if you must, pick up the HX50V and add to your kit.  Then you do not have to worry which one to use.

There is no shame in carrying both.    

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +4 more
coody
Contributing MemberPosts: 989
Like?
The HX50 IQ is not that good but RX100 is though expensive and too short zoom
No text.
Michael's Photos
Regular MemberPosts: 217
Like?
Re: The HX50 IQ is not that good but RX100 is though expensive and too short zoom
In reply to coody, Jul 7, 2013

My plan is to get and carry the HX50 on my belt  (found a case that it fits) for those long shots, and the RX100 which I already own in a small carry around bag with a lens hood attached for those shorter shots and better IQ.

johnny 99
Regular MemberPosts: 220
Like?
In reply to lenshoarder, Jul 8, 2013

I own both the RX100 and HX30V. The RX100 has really fantastic image quality. The HX30V has typical point-and-shoot image quality (and I have read that the HX50 is similar). The difference is night-and-day if you care about image quality. I do still use the HX30V as a backup and for cases where the RX100 sucks (closeup macro and telephoto wildlife and sports), but I use the RX100 more than 90% of the time.

L Copps
Like?
Re: The HX50 IQ is not that good but RX100 is though expensive and too short zoom
In reply to coody, Jul 8, 2013

But the RX100 pics with their 20mp crop very well.   You do not need a telescope zoom.

navydad
Regular MemberPosts: 155
Like?
In reply to johnny 99, Jul 8, 2013

Maybe I'm in the minority, but the difference in IQ between the two is not a big deal to me. I'm not a professional & won't be selling any photos or winning any awards. I just like the feature-set of the HX50V and the pictures look fine to my (untrained) eye. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have both cameras, but the added cost of a divorce just isn't worth it lol.

lenshoarder
Contributing MemberPosts: 597
Like?
In reply to L Copps, Jul 8, 2013

L Copps wrote:

But the RX100 pics with their 20mp crop very well. You do not need a telescope zoom.

They do crop really really well.

Ali
Ali
Senior MemberPosts: 1,179Gear list
Like?
In reply to lenshoarder, Jul 9, 2013

lenshoarder wrote:

L Copps wrote:

But the RX100 pics with their 20mp crop very well. You do not need a telescope zoom.

But if you wanted to take a full-tele RX100 photo at 100mm and crop it so that it looks like 720mm, you have a 0.4 MP photo, about 640x480.

The large optical zoom has its place.

Ali

Ali's gear list:Ali's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Beckler8
Like?
Re: video?
In reply to lenshoarder, Jul 9, 2013

lenshoarder wrote:

L Copps wrote:

Cropping and the zoom modes may work well for stills, but are not applicable to video. This is somewhat problematic for me.

DWMurf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?
Re: video?
In reply to Beckler8, Jul 9, 2013

Why not both? One as a backup to the other, and the two in combination to enjoy the best benefits of both.

Besides what would the resale value of a used RX100 be?

-- hide signature --

David

DWMurf's gear list:DWMurf's gear list
Corel PaintShop Pro X4 Utltimate Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Rokinon 8mm f/2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye +17 more
mike geier
Contributing MemberPosts: 520Gear list
Like?
In reply to daRRski, Jul 9, 2013

everything about the HX50 is wonderful

I DID sell my Rx100, with the idea of replacing it with the MK II, but now I think not. I have a NEX 7 for critical work, and will stay with the 50 as a carry camera at least for now.

mike geier's gear list:mike geier's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX200V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX300 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D7100 +9 more
LSHorwitz1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,087Gear list
Like?
In reply to mike geier, Jul 9, 2013

I DID sell my Rx100, with the idea of replacing it with the MK II, but now I think not. I have a NEX 7 for critical work, and will stay with the 50 as a carry camera at least for now.

For those of us who own SLT or NEX cameras, the idea of dropping a few hundred dollars to add an additional lens is not the slightest bit uncommon. It is commonly recognized that each lens provides a specialty function that other lenses will not achieve or will provide a level of quality which is unachievable with some other lens which we may already own.

Therefore, I believe that owning more than one pocket-sized camera makes a great deal of sense. I will take the specific camera with me which seems best suited for the event I am going to be attending, and that may be the HX 20 on one day and the NEX 7 on another day or perhaps some other point-and-shoot.

The huge differences in image quality do not necessarily show up at web or computer screen size unless magnification and pixel peeping are used. The long reach of a 30 X optical zoom lens such as found on the HX 50 cannot be achieved in any equivalent way by cropping an RX-100 image.

I would therefore conclude that owning both cameras makes the most sense if financial considerations are not a problem. Fortunately, the HX 20 is now available at a very low price, and even the HX 50 is not an exceptionally expensive camera.

Larry

Beckler8
Like?
In reply to LSHorwitz1, Jul 10, 2013

LSHorwitz1 wrote:

For those of us who own SLT or NEX cameras, the idea of dropping a few hundred dollars to add an additional lens is not the slightest bit uncommon. It is commonly recognized that each lens provides a specialty function that other lenses will not achieve or will provide a level of quality which is unachievable with some other lens which we may already own.

Therefore, I believe that owning more than one pocket-sized camera makes a great deal of sense. I will take the specific camera with me which seems best suited for the event I am going to be attending, and that may be the HX 20 on one day and the NEX 7 on another day or perhaps some other point-and-shoot.

The huge differences in image quality do not necessarily show up at web or computer screen size unless magnification and pixel peeping are used. The long reach of a 30 X optical zoom lens such as found on the HX 50 cannot be achieved in any equivalent way by cropping an RX-100 image.

I would therefore conclude that owning both cameras makes the most sense if financial considerations are not a problem. Fortunately, the HX 20 is now available at a very low price, and even the HX 50 is not an exceptionally expensive camera.

Larry

Very reasonable statement.  In my case I tend to want to shoot all sorts of images, all the time.  That suggests carrying 2 compact cameras, at which point an ILC might be better.  An HX60 with a slightly larger sensor, 15x zoom, less megapixels...why don't they just make what people want instead of playing stupid marketing games?

aaanouel
Senior MemberPosts: 5,040Gear list
Like?
HX50V for me
In reply to navydad, Jul 11, 2013

I agree with Navydad but also with Johnny... it all depends what you want the camera for...

Not having RX100, I've seen that it has excellent IQ and DR but its specs (lens) are not enough for me: RX100 is a bit boring poor versatility camera... but if you are creative person needing good enough IQ for screen viewing and medium format printings (and being practical... do you share your shots or analyze pixels with your audience?), HX50V is A LOT more versatile and if knowing how to apply a bit of PP, you're done for big printings also!.

I'd go for HX50V... without any doubt.

-- hide signature --

aaanouel
Truth is a pathless land.
The dead past darkens the ever living present.
Corrections and critics are more than very welcome, desirables.

aaanouel's gear list:aaanouel's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P73 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +21 more
Beckler8
Like?
Re: HX50V for me
In reply to aaanouel, Jul 11, 2013

aaanouel wrote:

I agree with Navydad but also with Johnny... it all depends what you want the camera for...

Not having RX100, I've seen that it has excellent IQ and DR but its specs (lens) are not enough for me: RX100 is a bit boring poor versatility camera... but if you are creative person needing good enough IQ for screen viewing and medium format printings (and being practical... do you share your shots or analyze pixels with your audience?), HX50V is A LOT more versatile and if knowing how to apply a bit of PP, you're done for big printings also!.

I'd go for HX50V... without any doubt.

I tend to agree with this. It doesn't really make sense to value absolute image quality above all else simply because it's coming at the expense of something else - versatility (in this case). I used to be a proponent of maximum image quality also, going hiking with a huge MF camera for example. But as you get smarter, you realize that's actually pretty ridiculous. All that matters is what images please you, not some arbitrary level of "image quality". I'm sure this has been debated to death elsewhere. Anyway, all that said, you still want the best quality you can have, so that makes rx100 still a very attractive option.  It can also be argued that it has extra versatility also since you get more low-light shooting options.  Depends on the individual. 

navydad
Regular MemberPosts: 155
Like?
Re: HX50V for me
In reply to Beckler8, Jul 11, 2013

Depends on the individual.

Yep. Otherwise we'd be driving the same cars, watching the same tv's .....

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads