Repair crack D2h body, Suggestions Please?

Started Jul 7, 2013 | Questions
Gpruitt54
Forum MemberPosts: 84Gear list
Like?
Repair crack D2h body, Suggestions Please?
Jul 7, 2013

Can anyone suggests an effective and not to expensive means of repairing this crack.
It is at the hinge point of the CF door on a Nikon D2h. It looks like the crack is in the plastic.
I do not think that simply and carefully gluing this crack would work. The crack would, over time, return.

I cannot provide more details, because this is not my camera yet. I would like to understand how this kind of crack can be fixed.

Gpruitt54's gear list:Gpruitt54's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D2H
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,400
Like?
Re: Repair crack D2h body, Suggestions Please?
In reply to Gpruitt54, Jul 7, 2013

I think that camera just became a tchotchke. Repair is probably going to be far more than the camera is worth. Send it to Nikon for recycling, or use it as shelf decoration. They are going for less that $300 on ebay.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jjnik
Senior MemberPosts: 1,263Gear list
Like?
In reply to Robin Casady, Jul 7, 2013

I agree with Robin - not worth even considering.  BTW, that's magnesium alloy - not plastic.

jjnik's gear list:jjnik's gear list
Nikon D4s Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Gpruitt54
Like?
In reply to Robin Casady, Jul 7, 2013

Robin Casady wrote:

I think that camera just became a tchotchke. Repair is probably going to be far more than the camera is worth. Send it to Nikon for recycling, or use it as shelf decoration. They are going for less that $300 on ebay.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

As I understand it, the camera works just fine. Yeah, there is this crack, and something caused it. But, the owners indicates this has not affected the functionality of the camera body.  I'll know better after I get a look at it.

You are saying however, that the crack is in a portion of the body that is made of alloy and not one of the plastic sections.

Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +4 more
macmaven
Contributing MemberPosts: 681
Like?
JB Weld (JBQuick)
In reply to Gpruitt54, Jul 8, 2013

I'd dry the quick mix epoxy called JB Quick.  It mixes to a medium grey paste/putty.  I'd insert a little into the crack and wait a minute or two then carve off the excess with an X-Acto knife before it gets really hard.  A quick swipe with a black Sharpie marker and I'd bet you would have a satisfactory invisible patch.

YMMV

macmaven

Chuck Yadmark
Senior MemberPosts: 2,827Gear list
Like?

I just bought (having bought and sold 3 D2H's before) again a MINT condition D2H for 200 dollars.

I wouldn't spend more than a hundred dollars for this camera.

Having said that, there things are tanks and I bet the crack doesn't affect anything.  I also agree with the JB weld.

-- hide signature --

www.sportsshooter.com/cyadmark
Ann Arbor, MI USA
Equipment in profile

Chuck Yadmark's gear list:Chuck Yadmark's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Samsung NX1000 Nikon Df +12 more
leighton w
Senior MemberPosts: 1,880
Like?

Either JB Weld, or this stuff. http://sugru.com/us

Gpruitt54
Like?
In reply to Chuck Yadmark, Jul 9, 2013

Chuck Yadmark wrote:

I just bought (having bought and sold 3 D2H's before) again a MINT condition D2H for 200 dollars.

I wouldn't spend more than a hundred dollars for this camera.

Having said that, there things are tanks and I bet the crack doesn't affect anything. I also agree with the JB weld.

-- hide signature --

Ann Arbor, MI USA
Equipment in profile

I will get a look at the camera this week. I am looking at this one for a number of reasons.

• The guy is selling it for a very good price.
  • Yes, these things are built like tanks.
  • Aside from this, the camera is nearly excellent.
  • The camera has only 21,000 shutter clicks.
  • This won't be my only camera.

I think I can live with this, but I will know better when I see it this week.

Boy, I would love to find a mint D2h for 200.00. I would buy it in a heartbeat; even if I already had one (The wife would not be so happy about that). I see loads of really beat up D2h cameras for 200.00 and higher, but never... ever a mint D2h for 200.00. For as old at these cameras are, the really great condition ones still fetch 800.00 or more. That says a lot for how people hold these old work horse cameras in very high regard.

hendrikm2
Regular MemberPosts: 191
Like?
In reply to Gpruitt54, Jul 9, 2013

If it has a crack like this (which have to come from impact), you can´t be sure that the bajonett isn´t affected either. If the bajonett and the sensor are not aligned perfectly, it will affect image quality. And a misaligned happens much earlier than a crack...

Gpruitt54
Like?
In reply to hendrikm2, Jul 9, 2013

hendrikm2 wrote:

If it has a crack like this (which have to come from impact), you can´t be sure that the bajonett isn´t affected either. If the bajonett and the sensor are not aligned perfectly, it will affect image quality. And a misaligned happens much earlier than a crack...

I'll be taking several images and inspecting them closely. The owner will be here with the camera later this week. We've had several conversations about camera long before I considered buying this camera. We'll see where we are when I see the camera and its images.

Additionally, I have seen D2h cameras with dents (seemingly from being dropped) everywhere and they worked perfectly. This goes to the rugged build quality of the D2h.

Gpruitt54
Like?
In reply to hendrikm2, Jul 12, 2013

Well, here is one of many photos I have taken with this specific D2h.  I've reviewed the camera from top to bottom and taken several photos with the camera.  See one of the photos and the camera below.  The camera has 21K shutter clicks. The body is very good condition. The only real cosmetic issue I can see is the crack.

I've used the camera for the last day and a half with my lenses, and the camera works flawlessly.  The images it takes are clean and clear.  I've decided to buy the camera for 200.00.  I believe I bought a good camera, fully functional D2h.  I have seen D2h cameras; totally beat up and totally non-functioning for $250.00 and higher.  This camera is great, such that it is.

Photo taken with this D2h camera.

Gpruitt54
Like?
In reply to Gpruitt54, Jul 15, 2013

Gpruitt54 wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
— Bertrand Russell

As I understand it, the camera works just fine. Yeah, there is this crack, and something caused it. But, the owners indicates this has not affected the functionality of the camera body.  I'll know better after I get a look at it.

You are saying however, that the crack is in a portion of the body that is made of alloy and not one of the plastic sections.

Yes, you are right, the crack is in the alloy.  I can see no signs of what might have caused it.  In later threads, you will see that I actually bought the camera (see photos in later threads). Works perfectly and aside from the ctack, the camera is very clean.

Pat1954
Regular MemberPosts: 198
Like?
In reply to Gpruitt54, Jul 15, 2013

Patch it up with JB Weld or any 2 part epoxy and stop worrying then make up some good beer tales for your friends about how your camera got it's battle scars.

-- hide signature --

_________
Pat

Gpruitt54
Like?
In reply to Pat1954, Jul 19, 2013

LoL! Will do.

user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,704Gear list
Like?
JB Weld or JB Quick
In reply to Gpruitt54, Jul 19, 2013

It's magnesium.

Since the cost of replacing the part is more than the camera's worth, I would just get some JB Weld or better yet, JB Quick and fill the crack and clamp it together.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
Gpruitt54
Like?
Re: JB Weld or JB Quick
In reply to user_name, Jul 20, 2013

user_name wrote:

It's magnesium.

Since the cost of replacing the part is more than the camera's worth, I would just get some JB Weld or better yet, JB Quick and fill the crack and clamp it together.

Thanks, the camera is working like a champ, The D2h is an excellent piece of engineering.  I almost don't even care about the crack, it is not an issue at all to the functioning of the camera.  Though I am somewhat concerned about moisture and/or dust getting in there.

So, where do I buy this JB Weld or JB Quick product?

user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,704Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gpruitt54, Jul 20, 2013

Epoxy would be my first choice.  Silicone caulk my second.

The epoxy should keep the crack from expanding, whereas the silicone will not.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
Chuck Yadmark
Senior MemberPosts: 2,827Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gpruitt54, Jul 21, 2013

Gpruitt54 wrote:

user_name wrote:

It's magnesium.

Thanks, the camera is working like a champ, The D2h is an excellent piece of engineering. I almost don't even care about the crack, it is not an issue at all to the functioning of the camera. Though I am somewhat concerned about moisture and/or dust getting in there.

So, where do I buy this JB Weld or JB Quick product?

I've seen it at Lowe's, Ace Hardware, Home Depot, and the True Value hardware stores.  Probably at the big auto parts stores too.

-- hide signature --

Ann Arbor, MI USA
Equipment in profile

Chuck Yadmark's gear list:Chuck Yadmark's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Samsung NX1000 Nikon Df +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads