Can Someone Point Me to Good HDR Photography?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
REShultz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,108
Like?
Can Someone Point Me to Good HDR Photography?
9 months ago

Sites like 500px (front page, take a look!) are full of HDR photography. It nearly always looks cooked and in some cases ruins perfectly good pictures.

I've not seen it yet but I do read occasionally on forums that it can be "done right" or tastefully. It'd difficult to believe that a skillfully exposed image with a good camera can be improved upon with this technique, but I'd like to see some attempts.

Daisy AU
Senior MemberPosts: 1,560Gear list
Like?
Re: Can Someone Point Me to Good HDR Photography?
In reply to REShultz, 9 months ago

REShultz wrote:

Sites like 500px (front page, take a look!) are full of HDR photography. It nearly always looks cooked and in some cases ruins perfectly good pictures.

I've not seen it yet but I do read occasionally on forums that it can be "done right" or tastefully. It'd difficult to believe that a skillfully exposed image with a good camera can be improved upon with this technique, but I'd like to see some attempts.

Have a look at this thread, in which there are some good and bad examples of HDR.  It can be done very naturally, or it can be used for a more artistic touch.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51733860

-- hide signature --
 Daisy AU's gear list:Daisy AU's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S9100 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wheatfield
Senior MemberPosts: 6,297
Like?

Brian is a member here. A lot of what he does is HDR. Some excessively cooked, most of it nice.

http://www.pbase.com/klatuu/root

-- hide signature --

Always remember, whenever you declare someone the dumbest person on Earth, someone else will stare at their screen intently, cross their arms and say ‘Challenge accepted’.

kgbruce01
Senior MemberPosts: 1,245
Like?

Your experience is obviously very limited if sites like 500px are your only  source with which you lay your judgement. That's like saying all pizza is bad because you ate Papa Johns.

REShultz wrote:

I'm not surprised you have such difficulty, as your level of exposure to the technique is so limited. If you take a little more initiative and do more research, you will be able to make your own informed judgement. If you scan a few photography forums and focus in on the overlytonemapped images and say'this is HDr', you are only fooling yourself.

Chances are you have seen dozens and dozens of 'HDR' photographs and didn't even know it, because they weren't tone mapped to death.

Good luck with your continued research so that you may discuss it from a position of knowledge, rather than your current position.

Daisy AU
Like?
In reply to kgbruce01, 9 months ago

kgbruce01 wrote:

Your experience is obviously very limited if sites like 500px are your only source with which you lay your judgement. That's like saying all pizza is bad because you ate Papa Johns.

REShultz wrote:

I'm not surprised you have such difficulty, as your level of exposure to the technique is so limited. If you take a little more initiative and do more research, you will be able to make your own informed judgement. If you scan a few photography forums and focus in on the overlytonemapped images and say'this is HDr', you are only fooling yourself.

Chances are you have seen dozens and dozens of 'HDR' photographs and didn't even know it, because they weren't tone mapped to death.

Good luck with your continued research so that you may discuss it from a position of knowledge, rather than your current position.

Why not provide the OP with some useful links then?

-- hide signature --
Nikon Coolpix S9100 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +7 more
jtan163
Contributing MemberPosts: 923Gear list
Like?

REShultz wrote:

This guy is pretty good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/artiephotography/

I think he's done magazines and things.

Note - I think for some people mainly other photographers, HDR will always looked cooked simply because subconsciously they know an certain image can only have so much DR, so when they see one that obviously exceeds the possible DR, their head says "fake!".

jtan163's gear list:jtan163's gear list
Olympus C-740 UZ Nikon D7000 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +13 more
REShultz
Like?
In reply to Daisy AU, 9 months ago

Thanks Daisy. I do think some of these (the more subtle ones) are very good. Still not sure however, than they are better than the same pic with good lighting and exposure.

Sure beats what I've seen on other sites though.

REShultz
Like?
In reply to kgbruce01, 9 months ago

kgbruce01 wrote:

Your experience is obviously very limited if sites like 500px are your only source with which you lay your judgement. That's like saying all pizza is bad because you ate Papa Johns.

REShultz wrote:

Guess we got off on the wrong foot. Well, in any case, I asked in order to confirm my suspicions or to move beyond my ignorance.

REShultz
Like?
In reply to jtan163, 9 months ago

jtan163 wrote:

REShultz wrote:

This guy is pretty good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/artiephotography/

Interesting. Good photographer and really good skills composition wise. Many of these look a bit too cooked IMHO, some others (like a few from Venice) look better.

I'd like to see these pics in the non-HDR version. They would be very good!

I think he's done magazines and things.

Note - I think for some people mainly other photographers, HDR will always looked cooked simply because subconsciously they know an certain image can only have so much DR, so when they see one that obviously exceeds the possible DR, their head says "fake!".

Very good point!

Unexpresivecanvas
Contributing MemberPosts: 897
Like?

One of the best places to see examples:

http://www.stuckincustoms.com/

jon404
Senior MemberPosts: 1,778
Like?

At the risk of being egotistical, see my train photos at http://jondonahue.smugmug.com/ ... am using Oloneo PhotoEngine for very mild HDR effects, and Xara Photo & Graphic Designer for occasional compositing. For most pictures, trying to make the scenes look like what I saw with my eyes, which means bringing light and dark areas into a better balance than 'as shot'.

-- hide signature --

Jonathon Donahue, San Diego, California

Daisy AU
Like?

REShultz wrote:

Thanks Daisy. I do think some of these (the more subtle ones) are very good. Still not sure however, than they are better than the same pic with good lighting and exposure.

Sure beats what I've seen on other sites though.

I don't use HDR but I think the whole purpose is to recover either highlights or shadows, because in some instances, you don't have ideal lighting and you will loose one or the other.  I think the method is useful, but in moderation, as far as I'm concerned.

-- hide signature --
Daisy AU
Like?
In reply to jon404, 9 months ago

jon404 wrote:

At the risk of being egotistical, see my train photos at http://jondonahue.smugmug.com/ ... am using Oloneo PhotoEngine for very mild HDR effects, and Xara Photo & Graphic Designer for occasional compositing. For most pictures, trying to make the scenes look like what I saw with my eyes, which means bringing light and dark areas into a better balance than 'as shot'.

-- hide signature --

Those are very good, Jon.  I would have not picked it as any level of HDR.  Nice work!!

-- hide signature --
REShultz
Like?
In reply to jon404, 9 months ago

jon404 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Absolute winner so far. Well done.

JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 30,563
Like?

REShultz wrote:

HDR is yesterday's fad. Forget it. Move on. It's just a way of disguising a not very good photo.

areichow
Senior MemberPosts: 1,062Gear list
Like?

I make no claims to this being a good photo, but it did what I wanted it to - capture the look and feel of a day in fall hiking with my family in the Porcupine Mountains. I used AEB and HDR software to get both the landscape and sky how they appeared to my own eyes, rather than the blown out sky or underexposed foreground I could get with a single exposure.

areichow's gear list:areichow's gear list
Canon PowerShot S200 Canon PowerShot SD1000 Nikon Coolpix P300 Sony RX100 NEX5R
REShultz
Like?
In reply to JulesJ, 9 months ago

JulesJ wrote:

REShultz wrote:

HDR is yesterday's fad. Forget it. Move on. It's just a way of disguising a not very good photo.

It's still very prevalent though. A year ago I thought we'd seen the last of it.

jon404
Like?
In reply to areichow, 9 months ago

Yes! That's what I'm trying to do also. So both sky and land are exposed correctly. Look -- if you have a sharp horizon line -- or sharp edges like the tops of buildings -- try compositing -- take one pic exposed for the land, then another for the sky -- and blend them together... cut out the 'good' sky and paste it on top of the 'good' land pic.

This will take you a little farther than multi-exposure HDR.

You can also lighten or darken selected areas of the picture with programs like Xara Photo & Graphic Designer. It's easy. Though, like you said, any blown-out highlights are gone forever.

-- hide signature --

jon404
Like?

Thanks! Here's something else I do... a 4X grad filter to darken the sky when I expose for the land. Stops highlight blowout. Also -- unlike multiexposure HDR, using a glass grad filter lets you capture a fast moving subject in just one shot. The HDR exposures, once put together, will leave the moving subject blurred. On my Sony RX100, I just hold the 52mm filter in front of the lens, and move it up and down to control the grad effect.

My grad filter is actually two 2X Tiffen grad filters screwed together. For scenes with less bright-dark contrast, you can use just a single 2x grad... or, easier, just put in a darkening gradient on the PC.

-- hide signature --

edispics
Senior MemberPosts: 1,316
Like?

I think HDR has a different visual impact if you are working with daytime photos vs night shots. Using Oloneo:

3 exposure Oloneo

My sense is that overcooking HDR is more jarring on daytime photos than night shots. Or maybe it's just me!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads