Samyang 24mm F/1.4 on 36x24mm.

Regards: Carsten

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Matz03
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?
Re: 14mm f2.8 or 10-24mm f4?
In reply to dotborg, Jul 7, 2013

I was planning on waiting for the 10-24 but finally splurged for the 14mm last month as I kept running into situations where I needed something a tad wider.  I'm glad I did and thinking this is as wide as I need for my purpose, but we'll see the 10-24 reviews and feedback before I start to reconsider.  I'd also like to try and keep my kit as simple as possible, eventually looking something like this: 14, 35, 56 + ef-x20 flash.

ulrikem
Regular MemberPosts: 214Gear list
Like?

I pondered over the same question and decided I wasn't going to buy the zoom for the simple reason that it is going to be too big (e.g. 77mm filter size iirc) - defeats the whole purpose of the system somehow. I went for the 14mm and I couldn't be happier.

ulrikem's gear list:ulrikem's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more
sbruno
Contributing MemberPosts: 870
Like?

Coming from Nikon DX and FX systems, I had good luck with the 20mm primes and pro-level zooms. I found the cheaper or third party zooms to be lacking (soft corners, difficult CA, wavy distortion, etc). The 20s are pretty good all-around, but not not up to the level of the Fuji 14. The pro zooms (I used the Nikon 17-35/2.8) are just awesome and comparable to the Fuji 14, but you pay through the nose for them. I tend to think that a Fuji zoom that also performs close to the level of the 14 is going to be $$, but their other zooms are excellent and moderately priced, so all bets are off.

In terms of utility, I shoot mostly landscapes with WA lenses. The zooms certainly offer a higher degree of versitility, but analyzing a scene with a fixed focal length lens can help me get more into a "zen" shooting mindset that helps with my creativity. But that's just me...

As part of a travel kit, I've used UW zooms and primes. I would sometimes pair a WA zoom with a 50mm (eq.) prime and small tele. Or with a wide prime, it would be mid-zoom and tele. I tend to prefer the latter setup, as a mid-zoom is just more useful as a primary lens for travel than a prime or WA zoom, and traveling with more zooms just adds up to too much weight for me.

Anyhow, all of this is to say that I may well stick with the 14 when the zoom comes out, as it fits my needs just fine and suits my shooting style. But 10 is a lot wider than 14 and 10-24 is a sweet range to be sure. Either way, given the pluses and minuses of WA primes and zooms, and assuming Fuji continues to put out quality lenses, one really can't go wrong either way.

Steve

BRPWS
Regular MemberPosts: 378Gear list
Like?
In reply to sbruno, Jul 7, 2013

I have the 14mm 2.8 and will not be buying the 10-24.  I have all the other primes and the two zooms and will stick with those.  I have not shot a bad piece of Fuji glass yet.  Love the 2.8 and lack of distortion on the 14.

elliot

-- hide signature --

Elliot

BRPWS's gear list:BRPWS's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,370Gear list
Like?
In reply to ulrikem, Jul 9, 2013

ulrikem wrote:

I pondered over the same question and decided I wasn't going to buy the zoom for the simple reason that it is going to be too big (e.g. 77mm filter size iirc) - defeats the whole purpose of the system somehow. I went for the 14mm and I couldn't be happier.

What makes you think the filter size will be 77mm. I am expecting 62 - 67mm. The Zeiss 12mm is 67mm

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
sbruno
Contributing MemberPosts: 870
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, Jul 9, 2013

ulrikem wrote:

What makes you think the filter size will be 77mm. I am expecting 62 - 67mm. The Zeiss 12mm is 67mm

I also agree that it will be a large filter size - nearly all other DX WA zooms are...
--
http://www.stevebrunophotography.com

Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?
Re: dotborg...
In reply to Palden, Jul 9, 2013

Palden wrote:

dotborg wrote:

Palden wrote:

apologies, I don't wish to hijack this thread, but I understand that you either have or have had the OMD and would appreciate some feedback if you'd like to offer it.

I'm currently looking at migrating to the XE1 (from m43/OMD) and wanted to hear from someone who has experience with both. Im primarily a landscape/nature shooter and wanted to know your thoughts on whether there's a significant different in output between the OMD and XE1?I pretty much am aware of the pros and cons for both, but what the difference in real life shooting and in outputs and print? Is it worth the move do you think?

thanks in advance.

P.

Honestly, the raw output is about the same. The X-E1 has about a stop advantage where noise is concerned for high-ISO. As for which is the better camera, the E-M5 wins. It has amazing in-body image stabilization that works with any lens, AF that blows away the X-E1's and a flash system that makes Fujifilm's look like a joke.

What I like about the X-E1 is the traditional controls, the larger sensor (easier to get selective focus) and the 18-55mm zoom is better than anything available for m4/3.

I tend to prefer zooms and the 18-55 seems a good lens. The fact that it, plus the XE1, is cheaper than the panasonic 12-35 (different focal range tho) is very tempting.

None of the m43 kit zooms are good enough for landscapes.  Way too soft at the edges and corners.  The Fuji 18-55, OTOH, is excellent.  If you are a zoom shooter and don't want to pay for the 12-35, then Fuji will serve you well.

As you no doubt know, m43 has lots of great primes.  An m43 sensor + quality prime works beautifully for landscapes.  You won't see any appreciable quality gain moving to Fuji if you shoot landscapes with prime lenses.

Travelshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,401Gear list
Like?
In reply to BRPWS, Jul 9, 2013

I'm waiting to see how the 10-24 is reviewed once out and the weight.  Wider than the 18-55 is a must and until I can figure my options I'll just wait.

Travelshooter's gear list:Travelshooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +10 more
dotborg
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,576
Like?
In reply to Red5TX, Jul 9, 2013

Red5TX wrote:

Palden wrote:

dotborg wrote:

Palden wrote:

apologies, I don't wish to hijack this thread, but I understand that you either have or have had the OMD and would appreciate some feedback if you'd like to offer it.

I'm currently looking at migrating to the XE1 (from m43/OMD) and wanted to hear from someone who has experience with both. Im primarily a landscape/nature shooter and wanted to know your thoughts on whether there's a significant different in output between the OMD and XE1?I pretty much am aware of the pros and cons for both, but what the difference in real life shooting and in outputs and print? Is it worth the move do you think?

thanks in advance.

P.

Honestly, the raw output is about the same. The X-E1 has about a stop advantage where noise is concerned for high-ISO. As for which is the better camera, the E-M5 wins. It has amazing in-body image stabilization that works with any lens, AF that blows away the X-E1's and a flash system that makes Fujifilm's look like a joke.

What I like about the X-E1 is the traditional controls, the larger sensor (easier to get selective focus) and the 18-55mm zoom is better than anything available for m4/3.

I tend to prefer zooms and the 18-55 seems a good lens. The fact that it, plus the XE1, is cheaper than the panasonic 12-35 (different focal range tho) is very tempting.

None of the m43 kit zooms are good enough for landscapes. Way too soft at the edges and corners. The Fuji 18-55, OTOH, is excellent. If you are a zoom shooter and don't want to pay for the 12-35, then Fuji will serve you well.

Sharpness is not a flaw of the Panasonic 12-35. In fact, it's excellent in that regard. Light falloff in the corners is what's problematic for the 12-35.

dotborg
Like?
In reply to sbruno, Jul 9, 2013

sbruno wrote:

ulrikem wrote:

I also agree that it will be a large filter size - nearly all other DX WA zooms are...

It's definitely a bonus that the 18-55 and 14mm take the same size filters.

Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?
In reply to dotborg, Jul 9, 2013

dotborg wrote:

Red5TX wrote:

Palden wrote:

dotborg wrote:

Palden wrote:

thanks in advance.

P.

None of the m43 kit zooms are good enough for landscapes. Way too soft at the edges and corners. The Fuji 18-55, OTOH, is excellent. If you are a zoom shooter and don't want to pay for the 12-35, then Fuji will serve you well.

Sharpness is not a flaw of the Panasonic 12-35. In fact, it's excellent in that regard. Light falloff in the corners is what's problematic for the 12-35.

I think we agree about this.  My issue is with the rest of the m43 standard zooms.  Center sharpness is generally fine but I've taken some landscape shots with the 12-50, for example, that are very disappointing around the edges.

jcharding
Senior MemberPosts: 2,017Gear list
Like?

I was initially going to wait for the 10-24, however I ended up getting the 14mm a couple months ago because it is a high quality lens available right now.  I have no idea when the 10-24 will be available.  And there is always something new and better coming to wait for.

-- hide signature --
 jcharding's gear list:jcharding's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-P3 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +10 more
dotborg
Like?

dotborg wrote:

sbruno wrote:

ulrikem wrote:

Found this picture on-line. Pretty much answers the filter size question.

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,370Gear list
Like?

dotborg wrote:

dotborg wrote:

sbruno wrote:

ulrikem wrote:

Found this picture on-line. Pretty much answers the filter size question.

Great find. Still a protype nand subject to change, like the aperture ring on the 27mm but 72 makes sense. Zeiss is 67mm, my nikon 10-24 is 77 and I would have expected a little smaller.

Personally I was hoping it would be 67mm or less since i have 67mm filtes I use on my fuji lenses and also have a set of 77mm I was hoping to sell once I find a buyer for my nikon 10-24 (Listed for sale. In the selling forum). Anyway, I will now likely hold on to the filters for a bit.

I wish they woud just get those lenses out now, not early next year.

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads