14mm f2.8 or 10-24mm f4?

Started Jul 6, 2013 | Discussions
dotborg
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,413
Like?
14mm f2.8 or 10-24mm f4?
Jul 6, 2013

What's your plan for ultra-wide? I think that I'll probably wait for the 10-24mm.

WT Jones
Senior MemberPosts: 2,423
Like?
Re: 14mm f2.8 or 10-24mm f4?
In reply to dotborg, Jul 6, 2013

my plan was to buy the 14/2.8 which is available now and in my bag.

When the 10-24 comes out then I will look at that as well & see if it is priced where it makes sense to buy. But I have a feeling that the 14 is more than enough for most instances.

-- hide signature --

Warren

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,810
Like?
In reply to dotborg, Jul 7, 2013

Right now I still use my full frame system for most of my wide angle shooting, landscapes, etc.  I'm interested in the 10-24 and hope they release the new generation X-Pro 1 or X-E1 around the same time with more resolution and a few other improvements.

Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 8,794Gear list
Like?

I have the 14mm and like it a lot - incredible lack of optical distortion for such a wide lens. And f2.8 is nice too, sometimes. I'm surely going to buy the 10-24 when it comes out and see how I like it. If I find myself not using the 14 much once I have the 10-24, I'll probably sell it. But if the 10-24 is too big, isn't corrected well enough, etc, I may not keep it, in which case I'll keep the 14 for the Fuji and the much smaller Olympus 9-18 for my OMD. I suspect the 10-24 could cause me to sell the 14 and 9-18, but we'll see...

-Ray
--------------------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

Krich13
Regular MemberPosts: 381
Like?
In reply to Ray Sachs, Jul 7, 2013

Ray Sachs wrote:

I have the 14mm and like it a lot - incredible lack of optical distortion for such a wide lens. And f2.8 is nice too, sometimes. I'm surely going to buy the 10-24 when it comes out and see how I like it. If I find myself not using the 14 much once I have the 10-24, I'll probably sell it. But if the 10-24 is too big, isn't corrected well enough, etc, I may not keep it, in which case I'll keep the 14 for the Fuji and the much smaller Olympus 9-18 for my OMD. I suspect the 10-24 could cause me to sell the 14 and 9-18, but we'll see...

-Ray

If 10-24 turns out optically good' you will take a heavy loss reselling the 14 mm.

I am waiting for 10-24 myself, but I'm somwhat pessimistic about its future price (27mm pancake price is outright ridiculous, hope that 's not a new trend for Fuji).

On the other hand' if it does turn out unreasonable' I would buy the Sigma 8-16 instead and adapt it. DOF is pretty much infinite there anyway, I'm not sure autofocus is even needed there (for most - not all) WA applications.

dotborg
Like?
In reply to Ray Sachs, Jul 7, 2013

Ray Sachs wrote:

Yeah, we know the 14mm is optically excellent. The question is if the 10-24mm is too. Fujifilm has a pretty good track record so far with their zooms, so we'll see.

Palden
Contributing MemberPosts: 605
Like?
dotborg...

apologies, I don't wish to hijack this thread, but I understand that you either have or have had the OMD and would appreciate some feedback if you'd like to offer it.

I'm currently looking at migrating to the XE1 (from m43/OMD) and wanted to hear from someone who has experience with both. Im primarily a landscape/nature shooter and wanted to know your thoughts on whether there's a significant different in output between the OMD and XE1?I pretty much am aware of the pros and cons for both, but what the difference in real life shooting and in outputs and print? Is it worth the move do you think?

thanks in advance.

P.

PG Thomas
Contributing MemberPosts: 514Gear list
Like?

If, like me you create hi res images by creating panoramas, then the 14mm is ideal. The lack of distortion makes life easy, and no Zoom, no matter how good, will match the output of a good prime lens.

That doesn't mean I won't look at the 10-24 when its out, but there would have to be a very good reason, as I already have the 18mm.

Pete

PG Thomas's gear list:PG Thomas's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
dotborg
Like?
Re: dotborg...
In reply to Palden, Jul 7, 2013

Palden wrote:

apologies, I don't wish to hijack this thread, but I understand that you either have or have had the OMD and would appreciate some feedback if you'd like to offer it.

I'm currently looking at migrating to the XE1 (from m43/OMD) and wanted to hear from someone who has experience with both. Im primarily a landscape/nature shooter and wanted to know your thoughts on whether there's a significant different in output between the OMD and XE1?I pretty much am aware of the pros and cons for both, but what the difference in real life shooting and in outputs and print? Is it worth the move do you think?

thanks in advance.

P.

Honestly, the raw output is about the same. The X-E1 has about a stop advantage where noise is concerned for high-ISO. As for which is the better camera, the E-M5 wins. It has amazing in-body image stabilization that works with any lens, AF that blows away the X-E1's and a flash system that makes Fujifilm's look like a joke.

What I like about the X-E1 is the traditional controls, the larger sensor (easier to get selective focus) and the 18-55mm zoom is better than anything available for m4/3.

dotborg
Like?
In reply to PG Thomas, Jul 7, 2013

PG Thomas wrote:

If, like me you create hi res images by creating panoramas, then the 14mm is ideal. The lack of distortion makes life easy, and no Zoom, no matter how good, will match the output of a good prime lens.

That doesn't mean I won't look at the 10-24 when its out, but there would have to be a very good reason, as I already have the 18mm.

Pete

Good point, but for panoramas I would probably use a longer focal length, like 35mm.

PG Thomas
Contributing MemberPosts: 514Gear list
Like?

35mm - Yes for Landscapes, but for interiors I would choose the 14mm now.

This is one I did 4 years ago using the 28mm on the F200EXR! and it took a whole load of correction to produce this image.

Now I would probably use the 8mm for this to see if it looks OK in the camera, and then use the 14mm for the panorama using Autodesk Stitcher.

How things have moved on in 4 years...

Pete

PG Thomas's gear list:PG Thomas's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 8,794Gear list
Like?
In reply to Krich13, Jul 7, 2013

Krich13 wrote:

If 10-24 turns out optically good' you will take a heavy loss reselling the 14 mm.

Maybe. I doubt I'd lose more than $200 from what I paid. And I've had the lens since it came out, so I'd be OK with that - I've already gotten $200 worth of use from it. And there's a very good chance I'll keep it, with or without the 10-24...

I am waiting for 10-24 myself, but I'm somwhat pessimistic about its future price (27mm pancake price is outright ridiculous, hope that 's not a new trend for Fuji).

I'm somewhat pessimistic about both price and size/weight. If I end up not buying it, I'll just keep the 9-18 for my m43 system or possibly buy a Panasonic 7-14. The 10-24 is a bit wider than the 9-18, not quite as wide as the 7-14. But I prefer 3:2 (particularly for wide angle shooting - a narrower frame sort of defeats part of the purpose) and really love the Fuji colors for landscapes. So if the 10-24 works out, that would be nice.

On the other hand' if it does turn out unreasonable' I would buy the Sigma 8-16 instead and adapt it. DOF is pretty much infinite there anyway, I'm not sure autofocus is even needed there (for most - not all) WA applications.

No, I don't think manual focus would be an issue. Not sure what kind of correction would be needed with the Sigma thought - I'm assuming the Fuji would either be optically corrected or the Fuji bodies would do any software correction pretty seamlessly. That ease of use ends up meaning a fair amount to me...

-Ray

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,348Gear list
Like?

I want the 10-24 and am impatiently waiting. I did not want to buy the 14mm ar full price to sell at a loss so i went another way. I purchased a Used Voigtlander 15mm which is excellent optically, very small, and looks great on my XE1. I figured I can sell the 15mm for about what i paid so I get to have a wide solution for the 9 months or. Then, depending on quality of the 10-24, decide then. of course a Zeiss 12mm wold compliment my 15mm nicely but the money tree died

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Palden
Contributing MemberPosts: 605
Like?
Re: dotborg...

dotborg wrote:

Palden wrote:

thanks in advance.

P.

Honestly, the raw output is about the same. The X-E1 has about a stop advantage where noise is concerned for high-ISO. As for which is the better camera, the E-M5 wins. It has amazing in-body image stabilization that works with any lens, AF that blows away the X-E1's and a flash system that makes Fujifilm's look like a joke.

What I like about the X-E1 is the traditional controls, the larger sensor (easier to get selective focus) and the 18-55mm zoom is better than anything available for m4/3.

I tend to prefer zooms and the 18-55 seems a good lens. The fact that it, plus the XE1, is cheaper than the panasonic 12-35 (different focal range tho) is very tempting.

Many thanks for your input.

regards

P.

nixda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,876Gear list
Like?

PG Thomas wrote:

Pete

I agree, the 14mm lens is fantastic as a general panorama lens. It gives a large enough vertical view (used in portrait mode) to not have to do multi-row panoramas all the time. A 35mm lens would practically always requite multi-row stitching, and the increased resolution of the final panorama (compared to the 14mm lens) would result in very large prints, which one would have to do if one wanted to do a setup like that justice.

Regarding primes vs zooms and quality, it used to be that zooms couldn't match primes, but that's not been the case for quite some time now. There are absolutely excellent zooms available nowadays. And even if the zooms were a bit 'worse' the difference isn't that great in many cases. I think there isn't much reason anymore to go with primes over zooms, in general, other than that primes often have larger apertures perhaps (but the highest IQ is generally achieved at smaller apertures anyway), or size.

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,348Gear list
Like?
In reply to nixda, Jul 7, 2013

nixda wrote:

PG Thomas wrote:

Regarding primes vs zooms and quality, it used to be that zooms couldn't match primes, but that's not been the case for quite some time now. There are absolutely excellent zooms available nowadays. And even if the zooms were a bit 'worse' the difference isn't that great in many cases. I think there isn't much reason anymore to go with primes over zooms, in general, other than that primes often have larger apertures perhaps (but the highest IQ is generally achieved at smaller apertures anyway), or size.

for myself the prime vs zoom question is a lot about shooting wide open vs stopped down. If you shoot at f/5.6 or close to it, then the flexibility of the zoom might be best for some. If you shoot wide open to get some bokeh, then primes rule. At the wide end i do not care about bokeh and often prefer DOF so an f/2.8 prime when stopped down is often about the same as a quality zoom at the same aperture.

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,605Gear list
Like?

14mm may not have distortion but you do get quite heavy curvature when doing panoramas.

I find the 18-55 set to about 23mm and use the sweep panorama function hard to beat and the most pleasing results.

I did a series of panoramas the other day using the 18-55 set at 23mm, a Contax g 28mm F2.8 and a Minolta Rokkor 50mm F1.4.

The 18-55 worked best. The Contax g is good but has very warm colours including a slight magenta cast that needs white balance correction.

The 50 F1.4 Rokkor takes amazing blurred background isolation type shots with fantastic bokeh, but not so great for sweep panoramas.

I have a 24mm Rokkor I need to check next but I think the 18-55 is unbeatable.

The 14mm is good for a single shot but not as wide as a sweep panorama.

Greg.

Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,810
Like?
In reply to Krich13, Jul 7, 2013

Krich13 wrote:

I am waiting for 10-24 myself, but I'm somwhat pessimistic about its future price (27mm pancake price is outright ridiculous, hope that 's not a new trend for Fuji).

Even if the 10-24 is excellent it will still likely not be as good as the 14mm and the 14mm is also f2.8 which is important to some.  I'd be surprised if the 14mm isn't still in demand and holding it's value once the dust settles after the 10-24 is released.

dotborg
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, Jul 7, 2013

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

14mm may not have distortion but you do get quite heavy curvature when doing panoramas.

I find the 18-55 set to about 23mm and use the sweep panorama function hard to beat and the most pleasing results.

The 18-55 becomes distortion free somewhere around 23-24mm.

I did a series of panoramas the other day using the 18-55 set at 23mm, a Contax g 28mm F2.8 and a Minolta Rokkor 50mm F1.4.

The 18-55 worked best. The Contax g is good but has very warm colours including a slight magenta cast that needs white balance correction.

The 50 F1.4 Rokkor takes amazing blurred background isolation type shots with fantastic bokeh, but not so great for sweep panoramas.

The 14mm is good for a single shot but not as wide as a sweep panorama.

Greg.

vkphoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,571
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, Jul 7, 2013

Greg.

Hi Greg,

Don't want to steer this thread in a different direction, but I have MD W. Rokkor-X 24/2.8 which is an excellent lens, IMO. I would appreciate if you can post your comparison results.

Thanks

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads