UV filter

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Joanel
Contributing MemberPosts: 539Gear list
Like?
UV filter
9 months ago

New  sony 70-300 lens.  need a good UV filter 62mm .  any specific recommendations for one you use and feel it doesn't degrade the image.  ( know I can go without one - but don't want to).

thanks

steelhead3
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,288
Like?
Re: UV filter
In reply to Joanel, 9 months ago

UV is for film, get any multicoated clear filter.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
_Fotogrfr_
Contributing MemberPosts: 755
Like?

Joanel wrote:

New sony 70-300 lens. need a good UV filter 62mm . any specific recommendations for one you use and feel it doesn't degrade the image. ( know I can go without one - but don't want to).

thanks

I put a Hoya Super HMC UV filter on my 70-400G1 soon after buying the lens several years ago.  After doing some testing and determining that the filter did not affect the IQ to any noticeable degree, I have kept it on ever since.

-- hide signature --

JPEG Shooter
galleries at: http://www.pbase.com/fotogrfr

Brian_Smith
Senior MemberPosts: 1,087
Like?

Joanel wrote:

New sony 70-300 lens. need a good UV filter 62mm . any specific recommendations for one you use and feel it doesn't degrade the image. ( know I can go without one - but don't want to).

If you're going to put any filter in from of that lens - make it a Zeiss.

-- hide signature --

Brian Smith
Sony Artisan of Imagery
Miami Photographer | Portrait Photography | Commercial Photography | Photography Blog | Books

AarSee
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,312Gear list
Like?
Re: Clear filter

I have been happy with this one on my SAL70-300G.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Hoya-62mm-PRO1-Glass-Protector/dp/B0009K50TW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373157475&sr=8-1&keywords=hoya+pro1+clear+62mm

Hoya 62mm Pro1 Clear

-- hide signature --

Rick

AarSee's gear list:AarSee's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP AF 11-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +11 more
John Tait
Regular MemberPosts: 132
Like?

I've been very happy with the B+W XS-Pro Clear MRC-Nano filters. They're expensive, but I don't see any IQ loss under normal circumstances and they add just a tiny bit of flair under very difficult lighting. If you can, test for flair problems with whatever filters you are considering.

If anyone points you to the lenstip UV filter comparison keep in mind that digital cameras don't benefit from UV filtering.

edit:  I use these filters on the 70-300G, 70-400G, zeiss 85mm, and zeiss 135mm.

DistantView
Junior MemberPosts: 48Gear list
Like?

I don't know if this will help but until now I've always used filters to protect my lenses but recently bought a Minolta 75 -300 Big Beer Can with filter online only to find it really poor over 200mm - to cut to the chase it seems that the filter (a recognised make) & the lens were incompatible & once I took the filter off, the lens was as sharp as it should have been.

I suppose the thing to draw from this is "try before you buy" - for the record I have found Marumi filters worked well for me.

Good luck

RT

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads