Moderator introduction

Started Jul 6, 2013 | Discussions
Joseph S Wisniewski
Forum ProPosts: 33,958Gear list
Like?
Moderator introduction
Jul 6, 2013

I saw some of the mods do this in the other forum, so, here goes.

I'm Joseph, and they made me the moderator of this forum a few days ago. I've been a 3D fanatic for decades. I've owned Realists and Kodak stereo cameras, and a Nimslo lenticular camera, know how to mount a Realist format slide and used to show them at the Detroit Steographic Society. I've also shot holograms. I collect Holmes cards, lenticular postcards, and holograms. I'm also a pretty good hand with a slide-bar, or a chacha.

I've also taught classes on 3D macro, 3D still life, and 3D figure photography. That last one, a workshop at MPW, was, I believe, the only 3D figure workshop in the world.

And, I'm the author of the on-again off-again image processing program called mImage, which one or two of you have beta tested. I will not be plugging either my software or my workshops in this forum: I mention them only in the interest of full disclosure.

I'll try to balance two ideas in my moderation.

• That free speech is a good thing, and that moderation should be very light.
  • That everyone has a right to civil discussion in a forum where no person, picture, product, precept, or principle should ever be referred to in derogatory or profane terms. Leave your fight-face at the door.

These things sometimes conflict with each other, and some days I may not strike the right balance. I am, after all, only human (Arguments to the contrary aside). Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, or just to let me know if you think I'm doing a good job.

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008.
Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.
Ciao! Joseph
www.swissarmyfork.com

Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 +43 more
pwilly
Contributing MemberPosts: 974
Like?
Congratulations Joseph! n/t
In reply to Joseph S Wisniewski, Jul 6, 2013
-- hide signature --

Paul
Just an old dos guy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joseph S Wisniewski
Like?
Thanks, Paul (nt)
In reply to pwilly, Jul 7, 2013
-- hide signature --

Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.
Ciao! Joseph
www.swissarmyfork.com

Turbguy1
Regular MemberPosts: 480Gear list
Like?
Re: Moderator introduction
In reply to Joseph S Wisniewski, Jul 7, 2013

I'm surprised Dr T doesn't post here...

-- hide signature --
 Turbguy1's gear list:Turbguy1's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Nikon D300 +1 more
Herman Dijkhuis
Contributing MemberPosts: 752
Like?
Congrats Joseph

We have "met" before in forums.
I'm sure you will make buzz 3D !

-- hide signature --

Best regards, Herman
Twitter @hermandijkhuis

Joseph S Wisniewski
Like?
DR. T
In reply to Turbguy1, Jul 7, 2013

Turbguy1 wrote:

I'm surprised Dr T doesn't post here...

I'll drop him a note. We cross paths from time to time.

-- hide signature --

Ciao! Joseph
www.swissarmyfork.com

threed123
Contributing MemberPosts: 815
Like?

Welcome. This is not a very active forum, so maybe you can give it a boost. Some forum contributors are using built in single lens 3D options, twin cameras, Panasonic 3D1 and Fuji W3.  Each have their advantages and flaws. So it's a mixed bag of equipment discussions and images, and there is always discussion about what formats to use to show images on the forum, ie. crosseyed, sidebyside, anaglyph and the beat goes on.

Joseph S Wisniewski
Like?
Thanks, Herman
In reply to Herman Dijkhuis, Jul 7, 2013

Herman Dijkhuis wrote:

We have "met" before in forums.

Indeed we have.

I'm sure you will make buzz 3D !

Thanks. I will do my best.

-- hide signature --

Ciao! Joseph
www.swissarmyfork.com

hdr
hdr
Senior MemberPosts: 1,537Gear list
Like?

Nice to see you here, Joseph.

Robert Anderson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,261
Like?
Congrats!
In reply to Joseph S Wisniewski, Jul 9, 2013

This forum has needed some level headed moderation.

Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,186Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joseph S Wisniewski, Jul 10, 2013

Congratulations Joseph. Sounds like you have a pretty full resume. It's nice to have a knowledgeable moderator.

I have been wanting to try some 3D glamor but I'm waiting for my retirement income to catch up with the college expenses of my wife's son first. He is a great guy and I'm glad to help but it does eat up my extra spending money that I would normally use for a model.

I tried to access your swissarmyfork website but the link didn't work. Will you please check it or post a working address here.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
hdr
hdr
Senior MemberPosts: 1,537Gear list
Like?
In reply to threed123, Jul 10, 2013

threed123 wrote:

Welcome. This is not a very active forum, so maybe you can give it a boost. Some forum contributors are using built in single lens 3D options, twin cameras, Panasonic 3D1 and Fuji W3. Each have their advantages and flaws. So it's a mixed bag of equipment discussions and images, and there is always discussion about what formats to use to show images on the forum, ie. crosseyed, sidebyside, anaglyph and the beat goes on.

While there are many active contributors in this topic, 3D photography is still much of a fringe area. This is not because 3D is not appealing but mainly because for most people, it takes much extra effort and hassle to view 3D pictures. This alone will greatly 'stifle' the growth of 3D photography.

But for me, since the time I learned to free-view 3D pairs only in cross-eyes mode, normal photos appeal little to me to the extent that I regard it as a big step backwards.

For me, there's no turning back. But Anaglyphs are tremendously enjoyable too, though the sacirifice in color is a minus point. Parallel-view pairs to me is a big no-no, except for viewing thumbnails only.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads