Switch from Canon to Nikon - advice on lenses

Started Jul 6, 2013 | Discussions
fhoffman
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Switch from Canon to Nikon - advice on lenses
Jul 6, 2013

Hi,

I currently own a Canon 7D and have also invested in high quality Canon lenses including the 10-22mm ultra-wide, 24-70 f/2.8L (1st gen) and 70-200 f/4L IS.

I plan to upgrade to a full frame camera and am leaning towards Nikon D600. This camera appears to have the overhand compared to Canon 6D and I've almost convinced myself that it's worthwhile to make the shift...

I plan to sell my Canon gear and use the money to buy the D600 body and some lenses.

Ideally I would like to have lenses that cover the same focal lengths as my current set up, and as my budget has its limitations I am considering these two lenses:

• Sigma 12-24mm II
  • Nikon 28-300mm

I'm looking for any advice on these two lenses and my "strategy" as a whole. Will the supposed quality gains in the D600 body be outweighed by the degradation of quality in the lenses? Am I better off staying with Canon and buying a 6D instead? Any suggestions for an alternative/better combination of lenses that falls into the same rough budget range as the two above?

Any advice is most appreciated!

Thanks

FH

Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Catallaxy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,644
Like?
Re: Switch from Canon to Nikon - advice on lenses
In reply to fhoffman, Jul 6, 2013

The three Canon lenses you have are good lenses.

The Sigma 12-24 is not a stellar lens - it has very poor corners. The Nikon 28-300 VR is a decent/good consumer lens, but is a stop slower than your existing Canon lenses.

Look to the Tokina 16-28 UWA instead of the Sigma. And consider a better telephoto instead of the 28-300 VR.

You are probably going to have to pitch in more $$ for better glass if you want to get the most out of that D600.

-- hide signature --

Catallaxy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Zlik
Contributing MemberPosts: 989
Like?

I wouldn't switch, get the 6D or the 5DmkIII which are excellent cameras. The "only" advantage I see on the Nikon side (I own Nikon) is the DR at base ISO, but unless you really push your files in post, you will not see a big difference. If I had Canon lenses, I would be happy with a 5DmkIII. Right now, I am very happy with my D800, but all full frames bodies right now from both Canon and Nikon are amazing cameras, light years ahead of a 7D sensor.

Zlik
Like?

Oh, and I forgot the quality control issues that Nikon has lately.

And Canon has a much better service (faster turnarounds and cheaper )

Reivilos
Regular MemberPosts: 264Gear list
Like?
In reply to fhoffman, Jul 7, 2013

You already have FF Canon L series good glass. I would sell the 10-22 which is not FF, and get the 6D body. Re-purchasing great 24-70 and 70-200 Nikkor glass would be too expensive, given the constraints you mentioned. Unless there is something you really don't like with the 6D body and you want to come over to the Nikon system. But then a 10x zoom like the 28-300 is not the greatest of Nikkors.

Reivilos's gear list:Reivilos's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +6 more
Stevbrkr
Forum MemberPosts: 55Gear list
Like?
In reply to Zlik, Jul 7, 2013

Zlik wrote:

I wouldn't switch, get the 6D or the 5DmkIII which are excellent cameras. The "only" advantage I see on the Nikon side (I own Nikon) is the DR at base ISO, but unless you really push your files in post, you will not see a big difference. If I had Canon lenses, I would be happy with a 5DmkIII. Right now, I am very happy with my D800, but all full frames bodies right now from both Canon and Nikon are amazing cameras, light years ahead of a 7D sensor.

I agree with this. You are going to let go of a 24-70f2.8 and a 70-200 f4 to end up with lesser Nikon 28-300 glass because you will loose money on the switch.

I shoot Nikon and I am of the firm belief that switching systems is not a great idea and I would not switch from what you have to a D600 with consumer lenses.

Keep what you have and get a Cannon 6D or, if you can afford it, a 5Diii to go with your 7D. You will get a 300mm field of view with the 70-200 on the 7D and use the 24-70 on the 5D. Sort your UWA later by trading for a 17-40 f4 or 16-35 f2.8. Another alternative is sell the 7D and wide angle and get a 5Diii and 16-35 f2.8.

If you are going to go Nikon you will need to budget for a 16-35 f4, 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f4 to get glass as good or slightly better than you already have. It will cost a fortune in the switch.

Steve

Stevbrkr's gear list:Stevbrkr's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +11 more
Zlik
Like?
In reply to Stevbrkr, Jul 7, 2013

Stevbrkr wrote:

Zlik wrote:

I agree with this. You are going to let go of a 24-70f2.8 and a 70-200 f4 to end up with lesser Nikon 28-300 glass because you will loose money on the switch.

Exactly, 6D + 24-70/2.8 + 70-200/4 is MUCH better than D600 + consumer zoom.

I shoot Nikon and I am of the firm belief that switching systems is not a great idea and I would not switch from what you have to a D600 with consumer lenses.

Keep what you have and get a Cannon 6D or, if you can afford it, a 5Diii to go with your 7D. You will get a 300mm field of view with the 70-200 on the 7D and use the 24-70 on the 5D. Sort your UWA later by trading for a 17-40 f4 or 16-35 f2.8. Another alternative is sell the 7D and wide angle and get a 5Diii and 16-35 f2.8.

If you are going to go Nikon you will need to budget for a 16-35 f4, 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f4 to get glass as good or slightly better than you already have. It will cost a fortune in the switch.

Steve

Zlik
Like?

Off topic: regardless of which brand you end up with, I would personally add a cheap, fast prime (50/1.8 or 85/1.8), which essentially "unlocks" one more stop vs your f/2.8 zoom.

One more thing: the difference between all those full frame cameras (6D, 5D3, D600, D800) is nothing compared to the difference between any of them and the 7D.

Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,592Gear list
Like?
Is that still going on?
In reply to Zlik, Jul 7, 2013

Zlik wrote:

Oh, and I forgot the quality control issues that Nikon has lately.

I haven't seen as much complaining in these forums lately as there used to be. Is it that Nikon's shaped up or does everyone expect their Nikons to spray oil around so they don't post about it?

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +11 more
mais51
Senior MemberPosts: 1,190Gear list
Like?

fhoffman wrote:

Hi,

I currently own a Canon 7D and have also invested in high quality Canon lenses including the 10-22mm ultra-wide, 24-70 f/2.8L (1st gen) and 70-200 f/4L IS.

I plan to upgrade to a full frame camera and am leaning towards Nikon D600. This camera appears to have the overhand compared to Canon 6D and I've almost convinced myself that it's worthwhile to make the shift...

I plan to sell my Canon gear and use the money to buy the D600 body and some lenses.

Ideally I would like to have lenses that cover the same focal lengths as my current set up, and as my budget has its limitations I am considering these two lenses:

• Sigma 12-24mm II
  • Nikon 28-300mm

I'm looking for any advice on these two lenses and my "strategy" as a whole. Will the supposed quality gains in the D600 body be outweighed by the degradation of quality in the lenses? Am I better off staying with Canon and buying a 6D instead? Any suggestions for an alternative/better combination of lenses that falls into the same rough budget range as the two above?

Thanks

FH

Are you serious or just trolling ?

If you are then take my advice: Keep your Canon gears, if you still want to switch steer away from the D600 - cheaply built, horrible quality control, the ideal is good but the execution is terrible.  I am a Nikon shooter but I'd not touch the D600 until Nikon sort out the problem with grease, oil and dust on sensor - can't imagine me cleaning the sensor every few thousands shots.

Nikon either shapes up or ships out.

mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +6 more
mtlr
Regular MemberPosts: 286Gear list
Like?
In reply to mais51, Jul 7, 2013

mais51 wrote:

fhoffman wrote:

Hi,

• Sigma 12-24mm II
  • Nikon 28-300mm

Thanks

FH

If you are then take my advice: Keep your Canon gears, if you still want to switch steer away from the D600 - cheaply built, horrible quality control, the ideal is good but the execution is terrible. I am a Nikon shooter but I'd not touch the D600 until Nikon sort out the problem with grease, oil and dust on sensor - can't imagine me cleaning the sensor every few thousands shots.

Now this is what I'd call trolling and outright misinformation. This guy doesn't even own a D600.

I do own a D600 and I consider it outstanding in all regards, specially IQ, handling and, yes, build quality. The sensor dust/oil issue seems to be present but it's totally easy to deal with, you just blow it away or do the occasional wet clean that is quite usual for all DSLRs anyway, no big deal.

For more knowlegeable and serious evaluation about the D600 there are dozens of professional reviews you can refer to, of course (I personally consider Thom Hogan and Luminous Landscape among the best).

On your post questions, I consider lens quality is usually more important than the body at use, but if you're inclined to come to the dark side, I would concur on advising to consider the Tokina for wide zoom and the Nikon 70-200 f/4, a stellar lens for tele zoom, instead of the 28-300 (good for a 10X zoom, but not at the same level). There is a price difference but not so big, and this the kind of lens that you'll never regret buying.

mtlr's gear list:mtlr's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
newfounder
Regular MemberPosts: 378
Like?

Keep your Canon gears even you want to get your hands on Nikon. They are good stuff. I never used D600 but heard it has pretty nasty oil problem and other poor quality issues.

Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,938Gear list
Like?
Re: This move would be a down-grade in lenses!
No text.
 Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +26 more
Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,938Gear list
Like?
Re: This move would be a down-grade in lenses!
In reply to Rexgig0, Jul 7, 2013

Sorry for the lack of text in my above post; my fingers outran this sluggish iPad.

You would be downgrading your lenses, AND, quite importantly, switching to a camera with a dinkier grip. The 7D has a more hand-filling grip area than the D600. Depending upon your hand size, this could be quite important. Really, lenses are more important than the camera, or the sensor size. Your proposed switch would be a notable down-grade. Your 10-22mm EF-S, in particular, is quite excellent in the ultra-wide class; mine is virtually welded onto one of my 7D bodies. I am less familiar with the Nikon zoom you mentioned, in relation to the other Canon zooms.

I am not a Canon fan-boy trying to keep you from jumping ship. I use both Canon and Nikon cameras, and sometimes Nikkor lenses on my Canon bodies. Life is good!

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +26 more
Al Giordano
Contributing MemberPosts: 928Gear list
Like?
In reply to Reivilos, Jul 7, 2013

The 7D is NOT a full frame camera.

I made the switch from Canon to Nikon; albeit to the D800 and I'm glad I made the switch.  Nikon cameras are more feature packed and the menus make much more sense and are usable.  I actually Love Nikon glass.  If you get the F4 versions of the holy trinity (Triumvrant?), you can't go wrong and you won't look back.

Al Giordano's gear list:Al Giordano's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +10 more
fhoffman
Like?
In reply to Al Giordano, Jul 7, 2013

Thanks everybody for taking the time to reply and for your advice and input! Much appreciated.

You've just helped me decide to stay with the gear I have and go for the 6D.

I will check out the other lenses that were mentioned, especially the ultra wide angle, since I need to get that focal length covered no matter what full frame body I go with.

Thanks again all for your help.

stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 4,730Gear list
Like?

mais51 wrote:

fhoffman wrote:

Hi,

• Sigma 12-24mm II
  • Nikon 28-300mm

Thanks

FH

If you are then take my advice: Keep your Canon gears, if you still want to switch steer away from the D600 - cheaply built, horrible quality control, the ideal is good but the execution is terrible. I am a Nikon shooter but I'd not touch the D600 until Nikon sort out the problem with grease, oil and dust on sensor - can't imagine me cleaning the sensor every few thousands shots.

I would agree to keep the Canon. But there's nothing wrong with the D600. Quality issues are totally blown out of proportion. After several shots, the oil goes away. And it's not cheaply built. I do agree that they can be catty when there is a problem.

Chrisd999
Contributing MemberPosts: 700Gear list
Like?
In reply to Al Giordano, Jul 7, 2013

I also made the switch to a D800 from 5D3, and even though the bodies and most of the lenses were traded, it still cost me a fortune, since I had to get a couple of lenses new (good luck finding a 70-200 f/4 VR used). Although I don't regret making the switch, if I was not specifically a landscape shooter wanting the best possible DR and resolution, I would never have done it. My Canon gear was very reliable, and I feel as a system, Canon has great glass to offer, as good as or better than Nikon.

Chrisd999's gear list:Chrisd999's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +6 more
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 4,730Gear list
Like?

fhoffman wrote:

Hi,

• Sigma 12-24mm II
  • Nikon 28-300mm

Thanks

FH

Why? Usually there is a reason for a switch like that. The 6D is a fantastic camera. (And I own a D600.) So if I had your glass, I would be staying with Canon. I just bought my D600 because I was finally able to move to a full frame DSLR. What made me decide? The lenses I already owned - from 10 years ago! I almost went with Canon for the 6D, but in the end, it was the lenses that kept me here. And I'm so familiar with Nikon's way of thinking that I just fell right into using this camera.

And not everyone feels that the D600 is a better camera than the 6D, so while you're convinced it has the upper hand on the D600, I wouldn't be so quick to assume.

fhoffman
Like?
In reply to stevo23, Jul 7, 2013

stevo23 wrote:

Why? Usually there is a reason for a switch like that. The 6D is a fantastic camera. (And I own a D600.) So if I had your glass, I would be staying with Canon. I just bought my D600 because I was finally able to move to a full frame DSLR. What made me decide? The lenses I already owned - from 10 years ago! I almost went with Canon for the 6D, but in the end, it was the lenses that kept me here. And I'm so familiar with Nikon's way of thinking that I just fell right into using this camera.

And not everyone feels that the D600 is a better camera than the 6D, so while you're convinced it has the upper hand on the D600, I wouldn't be so quick to assume.

Thanks. Great input.

It's mainly the greater dynamic range and higher pixel count of D600 that attracted me.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads