Thank you to my new friends here--and prolly farewell, too

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,108Gear list
Like?
Re: I have a theory... (not about the brontosaurus)
In reply to JusLookN, 9 months ago

JusLookN wrote:

Hi Walter. Was this also a brand new card sent with the camera? Someone asked about this earlier, but I haven't seen the answer. Because someone mentioned that it doesn't matter. That is not the case with some brands of cameras as they continue with the count of a previously used card that is set up the same way. (My Sony's for example.) If I make a mistake and put a card from my a700 into my 900, it picks up the count from the card that is in it. I'm hoping Nikon is different, but I make sure I don't switch the wrong cards between my D300 and D700 anyways! I know you are going to return it and get another one. I would stick with the D800 if you like the product it is producing! Good luck!

-- hide signature --

Glenn
I'm kinda partial to video, but I'm hangin!

A used card could affect the file numbering - not the shutter count.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
camerashy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,501Gear list
Like?
Re: Thank you to my new friends here--and prolly farewell, too
In reply to Water Ouzel, 9 months ago

Glad you got it sorted and now have the tools for what you paid for.

Enjoy your new camera

Dave

-- hide signature --

pbase supporter at www.pbase.com/dav4184
for equipment see profile

camerashy's gear list:camerashy's gear list
Nikon D800
Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 19,694Gear list
Like?
Well, maybe

Is the SD card new? Sometimes shutter count gets confused with file numbers - especially with some software.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +10 more
John M Roberts
Senior MemberPosts: 1,458
Like?
Re: Absolute utter nonsense.
In reply to vincent__l, 9 months ago

vincent__l wrote:

If I were you I would send email to B&H with your evidence of the high shutter count and your request for a refund or exchange ASAP. I would do this before going off on a free "loaner" shooting spree. Although B&H CS is great the last thing you want is for a misunderstanding that those high shutter counts were from you, violating the 200 shutter count limit on the return policy. That would be awkward.

Good advice. I would also not take the rare chance of accidentally damaging the camera while playing with it while you have no intent of keeping it, that is unless they offer you a tempting discount.

Steve Bingham
Like?
In reply to JJ10, 9 months ago

Exactly.

JJ10 wrote:

Did you format the card you used in camera before you took your test shots? If not that could well be your problem.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +10 more
Steve Bingham
Like?
In reply to keithmatts, 9 months ago

Look at your card carefully in Explorer if a PC - and be amazed.

keithmatts wrote:

JJ10 wrote:

Did you format the card you used in camera before you took your test shots? If not that could well be your problem.

Not so. Shutter release number is generated in the camera. Nothing on a memory card, whether reformatted or not, has anything to with it.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Steve Bingham
Like?
Re: I have a theory... (not about the brontosaurus)
In reply to JusLookN, 9 months ago

You are correct.

JusLookN wrote:

Hi Walter. Was this also a brand new card sent with the camera? Someone asked about this earlier, but I haven't seen the answer. Because someone mentioned that it doesn't matter. That is not the case with some brands of cameras as they continue with the count of a previously used card that is set up the same way. (My Sony's for example.) If I make a mistake and put a card from my a700 into my 900, it picks up the count from the card that is in it. I'm hoping Nikon is different, but I make sure I don't switch the wrong cards between my D300 and D700 anyways! I know you are going to return it and get another one. I would stick with the D800 if you like the product it is producing! Good luck!

-- hide signature --

Glenn
I'm kinda partial to video, but I'm hangin!

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Steve Bingham
Like?
Re: Well, maybe
In reply to Steve Bingham, 9 months ago

Whoops. You said D800. CF card.

Steve Bingham wrote:

Is the SD card new? Sometimes shutter count gets confused with file numbers - especially with some software.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Steve Bingham
Like?
Using PS CS6 and Bridge

Using PS CS6 and Bridge (or even back to CS) this will give you your actual shutter count. In Bridge go to:

File--> File Info--> Advanced--> Schema--> aux:ImageNumber

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Photo Pete
Senior MemberPosts: 1,366
Like?

Over 2700 test shots by Nikon? That's thorough. There's no chance that body will have left AF point issues!
--
Have Fun
Photo Pete

imax2k2
Regular MemberPosts: 156Gear list
Like?

That's unfortunate, and that is why I only buy from Amazon, B&H has slightly more restrictive polices and I fear, that they might be sending used units as new. Amazon on the other hand has been stellar for me, I'm have been a prime member for 3yrs now and I only have good words for them.

imax2k2's gear list:imax2k2's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads