Why buy a new Fuji X lens, when you can buy an equivalent fixed lens body for less?

Started Jul 5, 2013 | Discussions
Fenwoodian
Regular MemberPosts: 324
Like?
Why buy a new Fuji X lens, when you can buy an equivalent fixed lens body for less?
Jul 5, 2013

Own a Fuji XE-1.   My widest lens is my Fuji 35mm.  I've wanted a wider lens for some time now.

I've decided to buy the new Ricoh GR for my wide angle work, rather than a wide Fuji lens.  My preferred angle of view is a 28mm lens on 35mm full frame.  The Fuji 18mm is not their strongest lens and I don't like pancake lenses.

I was intending to buy the Fuji 23mm f/1.4 lens (35mm equivalent), but the Ricoh GR with 28mm equivalent lens is getting terrific ratings from the reviewers, and it costs less than what I expected the Fuji 23mm lens will cost when it comes out!

Now I'm getting my wide angle capability and a back up body!  The only down side is now I'll need to buy some extra Ricoh batteries and other accessories.

What do you think of this plan????

Prime85
Contributing MemberPosts: 782
Like?
Re: Why buy a new Fuji X lens, when you can buy an equivalent fixed lens body for less?
In reply to Fenwoodian, Jul 5, 2013

That is an awesome plan!  Go for it!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,876Gear list
Like?
Re: Why buy a new Fuji X lens, when you can buy an equivalent fixed lens body for less?
In reply to Prime85, Jul 5, 2013

That's one solution but you won't have an eye level VF ?

-- hide signature --

Keith C

PeterPrism
Senior MemberPosts: 1,057Gear list
Like?

"Why buy a new Fuji X lens, when you can buy an equivalent fixed lens body for less?"

IMO about the concept of "equivalent" flows a whole universe!

At this point "Writing About Photography is Like Dancing About Architecture" (ref. F. Zappa) so only the shots can talk!

PeterPrism's gear list:PeterPrism's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
DJF77
Regular MemberPosts: 384Gear list
Like?
In reply to PeterPrism, Jul 5, 2013

If that's what suits your needs then there is no reason not to go for it. Just remember that a fixed lens & body will be considered "old tech"  in a short period of time, whilst a lens will retain more used value.

photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,721Gear list
Like?
Do you want your wife to look 10 years older or younger?

I got the arch enemy of the GR, the Nikon A.  So sharp and dermatological, my wife looked in horror as every wrinkle was evident.  Our dermatologist wrote that there was no need for an office visit it was like being there looking at the jpegs.

We had gotten spoiled with the great Fuji X look (someone called it "detail withou texture.")

In photographer's non-terms, the Fuji makes people have rosy cheeks and less wrinkles.  The GR and the A are so sharp and contrasty, people just look older.

My wife did not let me take another picture of her for a month!  She'd gotten used to 10 years younger with Fuji and 10 years older with the Nikon A closed the model sessions.

After some work with the X100 she's back.

On the other hand the dogs never looked better.  Every hair is seen perfectly.

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,876Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you want your wife to look 10 years older or younger?
In reply to photo perzon, Jul 5, 2013

That's something of a back-handed compliment to Fuji . you seem to be saying that the Fuji gives soft results ? I don't think that a lens can be too sharp unless you throw a sharp but nervous bokeh into the mix for consideration.

If you want softer images for portraiture then achieve this in PP. In the good old days soft portrait lenses were an easy & reliable way of getting smoother rendering for portraits but you have to remember that PP was not so easy & quick with film.

-- hide signature --

Keith C

flbrit
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,125Gear list
Like?

Another point to consider...

The Fujifilm lens is at f1.4 whilst the Ricoh is f2.8. When Fuji improve their sensors, as time progresses, you will still have the Fuji lens to bolt onto your newer Fuji.

But, if it works for you, why not.

Brian

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Sony Alpha 7 II Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +7 more
photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,721Gear list
Like?
In reply to Keit ll, Jul 5, 2013

Keit ll wrote:

That's something of a back-handed compliment to Fuji . you seem to be saying that the Fuji gives soft results ? I don't think that a lens can be too sharp unless you throw a sharp but nervous bokeh into the mix for consideration.

If you want softer images for portraiture then achieve this in PP. In the good old days soft portrait lenses were an easy & reliable way of getting smoother rendering for portraits but you have to remember that PP was not so easy & quick with film.

-- hide signature --

Keith C

No its not that simple.  There is detail in the Fuji X series.  But somehow there is also a pleasing texture effect.  Someone called it "detail without texture."  I call it plastic skin.

Experience photographers (which I am not) call the IQ of the Fujis "sublime."

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Toccata47
Senior MemberPosts: 2,235
Like?

The gr is a fine camera and I won't make an argument to dissuade you. That said, you asked some very  easy to answer questions.

preferred angle of view is a 28mm lens on 35mm full frame. The Fuji 18mm is not their strongest lens and I don't like pancake lenses.

The 18mm may not be the "strongest" but that doesn't stop it from being a great lens. Much as the 35 gets more press than the fuji 60, despite the 60 being a "stronger" lens.

I was intending to buy the Fuji 23mm f/1.4 lens (35mm equivalent), but the Ricoh GR with 28mm equivalent lens is getting terrific ratings from the reviewers, and it costs less than what I expected the Fuji 23mm lens will cost when it comes out!

You realize the difference between 28 f2.8 and 35 f1.4, right? Hybrid view finder vs display, etc. There are a lot of differences between these two camera solutions, with the fuji offering a lot more flexibility. If you don't need that don't bother.

Now I'm getting my wide angle capability and a back up body! The only down side is now I'll need to buy some extra Ricoh batteries and other accessories.

Well, it's easier to carry a bag of lenses than it is to carry a bag of cameras.

Birse Boy
Regular MemberPosts: 325
Like?
In reply to Toccata47, Jul 5, 2013

Why not buy a cheap £15 adaptor and old, but great quality, MF lenses off ebay for a song compared to new lenses / cameras...even more cost effective, the only thing you lose is AF

Mr Gadget
Senior MemberPosts: 1,847
Like?

Fenwoodian wrote:

The fact that you are seeking validation of your decision in this forum suggests that you have some doubts about it yourself. IMO, you are adding undue complication to your work for a marginal return.

Your money, you have to live with the result, you decide.

-- hide signature --

Conrad
---------------------------------------------------
Show Low, Arizona

Fenwoodian
Like?
In reply to Mr Gadget, Jul 5, 2013

Yes, I was seeking some validation of this plan.

Thanks to everyone for your excellent responses!

Dave

Fenwoodian
Like?
In reply to Birse Boy, Jul 5, 2013

Birse Boy wrote:

Why not buy a cheap £15 adaptor and old, but great quality, MF lenses off ebay for a song compared to new lenses / cameras...even more cost effective, the only thing you lose is AF

Great recommendation, especially when considering that I almost always manually focus.

I've tried many old manual legacy lenses with adapters on my Fuji X cameras.   While the telephoto lenses looked great, I have not found a wide-angle that really shined on a Fuji X camera.

Are you aware of any great wide angle legacy performers on Fuji X cameras??

Prime85
Like?

I think there are a few option.

the 18-55mm lens

the 18mm which a little soft.

Manual focus (But find a good one as that can be tricky.

the Ricoh GR or the 18-55 would be my choice.  With the Ricoh as you get another camera.

Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,195
Like?

You're plan may save a few dollars initially but as other's have already said, it has a down side.

Besides the fixed lens being slower there's no getting around the fact that once the camera breaks (and it will) you're back to square one and will have to spend more of your hard earned money just to have focal length that you want.

A good lens will last for many, many years and is a much better choice from a financial standpoint.

Besides that, having a "backup" camera that's a completely different brand is a pain in the neck (just an opinion).

Prime85
Like?
In reply to Ed B, Jul 5, 2013

Financially there is a down side of a bit.  However the Ricoh is very pocket able.  I also gives you a second body in case your primary breaks down on a trip.  I carry the SONY RX1000 with me everywhere and the Ricoh is just a hair bigger.  I use the Pelican 1010 case and I believe it will also work on the ricoh...

makofoto
Regular MemberPosts: 431Gear list
Like?
In reply to photo perzon, Jul 5, 2013

"The GR and the A are so sharp and contrasty, people just look older."   ... don't those cameras have a portrait mode or soft skin mode? Use them if you value your wife and friends! 

Birse Boy
Regular MemberPosts: 325
Like?

I agree, manual focus works great with my legacy lenses ( Minoltas ). I got the XE1 kit with 18-55 which seems a great lens.

My Minoltas are 58mm f1.4, 135mm f2.8 and 200mm f4.

In film days I used a 24mm a lot but always fancied a 20mm - so the 18-55 is not as wide...the 14mm Fuji looks like a serious proposition but a lot of money !

Out of interest which wide legacy lenses have you tried on the XE1 ?

XE1 with Minolta 58mm MC f1.4 shot at f2.8

Fenwoodian
Like?
In reply to Prime85, Jul 5, 2013

Prime85 wrote:

I think there are a few option.

the 18-55mm lens

the 18mm which a little soft.

Manual focus (But find a good one as that can be tricky.

the Ricoh GR or the 18-55 would be my choice. With the Ricoh as you get another camera.

From the reviews that I've read, the Fuji 18 - 55 zoom lens at 18mm is not even close to the Ricoh's fixed lens in terms of IQ!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads