Science magazine becomming a rag of the left?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Nightwings
Forum ProPosts: 10,360
Like?
Re: Science magazine becomming a rag of the left?
In reply to JulesJ, 9 months ago

JulesJ wrote:

In other words you only reciprocate feelings, never initiate them. How sad.

I beg to differ.

I initiate by reaching out - What's sad are those who slap the hand that reaches out.

BTW, thanks for not slapping mine. You are a gentleman.

-- hide signature --

Nikon AF - One Shot ..... One Kill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
boggis the cat
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,267Gear list
Like?
In reply to bigrgib, 9 months ago

bigrgib wrote:

boggis the cat wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

boggis the cat wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Myself, I don't know if it's a BS claim, or not. However, from what you wrote, the article is not necessarily incorrect.

For example, if global warming has resulted in less precipitation in the area than use to be the case, enough that there were more dead trees around that could easily catch fire when struck with lightening, then global warming would be an indirect cause for the fire.

Like I said, I don't know one way or another. The article might be total BS, but the fact that lightening sparked the fire does not mean that global warming did not contribute to the conditions that made the chance of a fire much more likely.

That's true but the point he's trying to make, I think, is that there have been droughts and hot weather, and hence wildfire prone conditions, way before AGW is supposed to have kicked in.

AGW would have started when humans started digging up and burning fossil fuels.

Oh yeah? year 1000 BC?

The usual date quoted is 1750, coincident with the start of the industrial revolution (which was, in fact, a revolution in shifting to fossil fuels).

Perhaps you should clarify what you mean by "way before AGW is supposed to have kicked in".

CO2 emissions rise significantly after WW2.

Base period for many global temp anomaly is 1951 -1980

I meant way before WW2 when temps were actually lower than the reference period and also CO2 emissions.

Now compare that graph to atmospheric CO2 concentration; then compare to the rise in global surface temperatures.

Correlation doe not prove causation, but when there is no other explanation...

Focus, kid.

The topic at hand is not whether the consensus view on climate change attribution is correct or not, but on bad reporting on recent wildfires.

You are the one arguing about when "AGW is supposed to have kicked in".

You even supplied a graph -- that you probably can't comprehend, based on past experience.

The BS would be assuming, without further proof, that present conditions are caused by AGW.

The proof is in the soil conditions caused by climate change, as GB is referring to -- less rainfall in spring leads to drier soil and kills more trees, then in summer you get hotter conditions (less evaporation of moister) and have more dead wood available for when a fire starts.

That soil conditions have happened naturally since, like, forever

But only rarely.

so they are not proof of AGW per se. That is the point, Gore effect is disgusting.

When the frequency of 'rare' climate related events changes, this points to a change in the underlying climate. This is happening across the globe.

"Points" , huh? let's leave your use of weasel words for the time being.

Oh, please.  Try not to be such a complete fool.  Surely basic English idiom is not entirely beyond your grasp?

The idea of a higher frequency of drought episodes is not acknowledged by the consensus represented by the IPCC. In the SREX they mention (pag 6 of the full report)

There is medium confidence that some regions of the world have experienced more intense and longer droughts, in particular in southern Europe and West Africa, but in some regions droughts have become less frequent, less intense, or shorter, for example, in central North America and northwestern Australia. [3.5.1]

Therefore, attributing Arizona wildfires to climate change is an interpretation unless supported by a reputable source. Presenting an interpretation is bad journalism. And disgusting.

There is no point providing you with original sources of studies, because you fail to understand them.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51769342

As I have said before -- repeatedly -- you are better off finding reputable sources that will explain the science to you at a level that you can understand.

Australia has also had increasingly severe wildfires as climate change has changed the conditions there.

Such as Australia. I pointed this out as there is sometimes an attempt made to claim that these events are only happening in North America, or NA and Europe, or NA and Europe and Russia, or... etc.

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +10 more
Summer School
Regular MemberPosts: 179
Like?
In reply to Nightwings, 9 months ago

You are as dumb as Sarah Palin, John Boehner, John McCain, and Mitch McConnell

Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,459
Like?
Re: Here's what's pathetic about this
In reply to Chato, 9 months ago

Chato wrote:

Wheatfield wrote:

JulesJ wrote:

But left wing for you NWs is middle of the road to most isn't it?

Batwings doesn't get anywhere near that close to the center before it's considered left wing.

Even ACW deniers admit that the climate is changing.

This gives them the opportunity to be RIGHT about something, whilst still clinging to a confrontational stance....(kidding themselves the argument isn't yet lost.)

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
:
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

Barrie Davis
Like?
Re: Science magazine becoming a rag of the left?
In reply to Summer School, 9 months ago

Summer School wrote:

Independently? Or in combination?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
:

Barrie Davis
Like?
Yes, but not 'becoming'...
In reply to Ubilam, 9 months ago

.... where I come from we say 'spelt' as often as 'spelled.'

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
:

bigrgib
Senior MemberPosts: 1,066
Like?
In reply to boggis the cat, 9 months ago

boggis the cat wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

boggis the cat wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

boggis the cat wrote:

bigrgib wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Myself, I don't know if it's a BS claim, or not. However, from what you wrote, the article is not necessarily incorrect.

For example, if global warming has resulted in less precipitation in the area than use to be the case, enough that there were more dead trees around that could easily catch fire when struck with lightening, then global warming would be an indirect cause for the fire.

Like I said, I don't know one way or another. The article might be total BS, but the fact that lightening sparked the fire does not mean that global warming did not contribute to the conditions that made the chance of a fire much more likely.

That's true but the point he's trying to make, I think, is that there have been droughts and hot weather, and hence wildfire prone conditions, way before AGW is supposed to have kicked in.

AGW would have started when humans started digging up and burning fossil fuels.

Oh yeah? year 1000 BC?

The usual date quoted is 1750, coincident with the start of the industrial revolution (which was, in fact, a revolution in shifting to fossil fuels).

Perhaps you should clarify what you mean by "way before AGW is supposed to have kicked in".

CO2 emissions rise significantly after WW2.

Base period for many global temp anomaly is 1951 -1980

I meant way before WW2 when temps were actually lower than the reference period and also CO2 emissions.

Now compare that graph to atmospheric CO2 concentration; then compare to the rise in global surface temperatures.

Correlation doe not prove causation, but when there is no other explanation...

Focus, kid.

The topic at hand is not whether the consensus view on climate change attribution is correct or not, but on bad reporting on recent wildfires.

You are the one arguing about when "AGW is supposed to have kicked in".

You even supplied a graph -- that you probably can't comprehend, based on past experience.

Focus harder, kid. Special people like you need it. You asked what I meant for that.

The BS would be assuming, without further proof, that present conditions are caused by AGW.

The proof is in the soil conditions caused by climate change, as GB is referring to -- less rainfall in spring leads to drier soil and kills more trees, then in summer you get hotter conditions (less evaporation of moister) and have more dead wood available for when a fire starts.

That soil conditions have happened naturally since, like, forever

But only rarely.

so they are not proof of AGW per se. That is the point, Gore effect is disgusting.

When the frequency of 'rare' climate related events changes, this points to a change in the underlying climate. This is happening across the globe.

"Points" , huh? let's leave your use of weasel words for the time being.

Oh, please. Try not to be such a complete fool. Surely basic English idiom is not entirely beyond your grasp?

The idea of a higher frequency of drought episodes is not acknowledged by the consensus represented by the IPCC. In the SREX they mention (pag 6 of the full report)

There is medium confidence that some regions of the world have experienced more intense and longer droughts, in particular in southern Europe and West Africa, but in some regions droughts have become less frequent, less intense, or shorter, for example, in central North America and northwestern Australia. [3.5.1]

Therefore, attributing Arizona wildfires to climate change is an interpretation unless supported by a reputable source. Presenting an interpretation is bad journalism. And disgusting.

There is no point providing you with original sources of studies, because you fail to understand them.

That's what us, the normals, call a cop out.

I think the IPCC quote is quite explanatory of why the aforementioned attribution without further support is bad journalism.

You're too coward to address that, but no one was expecting  you could.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51769342

Is that the thread you're embarrassing yourself? See you there.

As I have said before -- repeatedly -- you are better off finding reputable sources that will explain the science to you at a level that you can understand.

Australia has also had increasingly severe wildfires as climate change has changed the conditions there.

Such as Australia. I pointed this out as there is sometimes an attempt made to claim that these events are only happening in North America, or NA and Europe, or NA and Europe and Russia, or... etc.

Nightwings
Like?
In reply to Barrie Davis, 9 months ago

Barrie Davis wrote:

Summer School wrote:

Are you not capable of formulating your own replies without rah' rah'ing on someone else's post?

Tell ya what Barrie, why don't you go back to choking your chicken in your mommies basement and leave the discussion to the adults.

-- hide signature --

Nightwings
Like?
In reply to Summer School, 9 months ago

Summer School wrote:

This coming for the forums biggest fool.

Carry on

-- hide signature --

Nightwings
Like?
Re: Right wing explanations...

Barrie Davis wrote:

LeRentier wrote:

Nightwings wrote:

JulesJ wrote:

To most? That's debatable. However, the same can be said for people who judge the right.

-- hide signature --

When you photograph these flames at the right temperature they're RED so, obviously, these so-called wildfires are a communist conspiracy to destroy the US.

The hurricanes are a different matter, they're God's punishment for greed.

And massive tsunami that wipe out communities on Indonesian islands are a direct result of ....

earth quakes ... or are you going to blame THOSE on climate change as well?

Dismissed.

-- hide signature --

Todd Ka
Senior MemberPosts: 2,274Gear list
Like?

Nightwings wrote:

Barrie Davis wrote:

LeRentier wrote:

Nightwings wrote:

JulesJ wrote:

To most? That's debatable. However, the same can be said for people who judge the right.

-- hide signature --

When you photograph these flames at the right temperature they're RED so, obviously, these so-called wildfires are a communist conspiracy to destroy the US.

The hurricanes are a different matter, they're God's punishment for greed.

And massive tsunami that wipe out communities on Indonesian islands are a direct result of ....

earth quakes ... or are you going to blame THOSE on climate change as well?

Dismissed.

-- hide signature --

Guaranteed way to save the world from carbon emissions.

Here it goes.  Tonight at 9:30 Central time all leftists from all over the world need to hold their breath for 10 min.  A plastic bag might help.

Global warming problem solved.

Chato
Forum ProPosts: 42,807Gear list
Like?
Do you deny
In reply to Todd Ka, 9 months ago

Todd Ka wrote:

Charming. I need say no more

Here it goes. Tonight at 9:30 Central time all leftists from all over the world need to hold their breath for 10 min. A plastic bag might help.

Global warming problem solved.

Do you deny the simple incontrovertible FACT that climate, for whatever reason, has changed in the US West, and is the cause of these record AND unprecedented wild fires?

I don't care if you deny that it's caused by us or not. But if you deny what is sticking out right in front of your face, you're going waaaaaaaay beyond sticking your head in the sand.

Dave

-- hide signature --

"Everyone who has ever lived, has lived in Modern Times"

Jeff Charles
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,496Gear list
Like?

Todd Ka wrote:

Here it goes. Tonight at 9:30 Central time all leftists from all over the world need to hold their breath for 10 min. A plastic bag might help.

Do you have any idea how many times that inane suggestion has been posted here and in other forums by goofballs like you?

Human exhalation is part of the natural carbon cycle, and it does not increase the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere.

-- hide signature --

Jeff
"Please proceed..."

Jeff Charles's gear list:Jeff Charles's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +1 more
Todd Ka
Senior MemberPosts: 2,274Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jeff Charles, 9 months ago

Jeff Charles wrote:

Todd Ka wrote:

Do you have any idea how many times that inane suggestion has been posted here and in other forums by goofballs like you?

Human exhalation is part of the natural carbon cycle, and it does not increase the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere.

But after not doing it for 10 min they will also not any gas, electricity and food... for ever.

-- hide signature --

Jeff
"Please proceed..."

Barrie Davis
Like?

Nightwings wrote:

Barrie Davis wrote:

Summer School wrote:

Are you not capable of formulating your own replies without rah' rah'ing on someone else's post?

Tell ya what Barrie, why don't you go back to choking your chicken in your mommies basement and leave the discussion to the adults.

Interestingly, my impression from the level of your argument is that you're not only quite young, but also somewhat immature for your age...

I already made this clear...

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51764002

Just wondering....

Is this Nightwings guy still under 20...?
Still living at home...?
Schooled there...?

I mean, as if to prove my concerns are genuine...

..... anyone who responds with the comment "Feel free to go F yourself" has not only demonstrated that they are extremely childish...

.... they have also comprehensively LOST that argument, whatever it was!

I do believe you did it twice. (Go on. Excel yourself. Go for three!)

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
:

Nightwings
Like?

Barrie Davis wrote:

Interestingly, my impression ........

A lot of your whining and bitching about me can be ascribed to most posters in this forum, yet you feel the need to attack me.

Be that as it may....when I give a flying fyuk about your "impressions", I'll be sure to let you know.

Now run along sonny ... and for gods sake, get mommy to change your diaper, it's smelling up the joint.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Charles
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,496Gear list
Like?

Todd Ka wrote:

Jeff Charles wrote:

Todd Ka wrote:

But after not doing it for 10 min they will also not any gas, electricity and food... for ever.

I get it. You wish for the death of people who have more sense than you. That's a lot of people!

-- hide signature --

Jeff
"Please proceed..."

Jeff Charles's gear list:Jeff Charles's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +1 more
Barrie Davis
Like?
Mister Success !!

Nightwings wrote:

Barrie Davis wrote:

A lot of your whining and bitching about me can be ascribed to most posters in this forum, yet you feel the need to attack me.

Be that as it may....when I give a flying fyuk about your "impressions", I'll be sure to let you know.

Now run along sonny ... and for gods sake, get mommy to change your diaper, it's smelling up the joint.

Please allow me to inform you... that what you write, and how write it (see above)...

... and way you keep on doing it....

-(as in "Feel free to go F yourself")-

.... demonstrates that you are a disgusting little twit, and a person of little consequence.

If that is the role in life that you find appropriate for yourself -congratulations- you're a success!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
:

Nightwings
Like?
Re: Mister Success !!

Barrie Davis wrote:

Nightwings wrote:

Barrie Davis wrote:

Please allow me to inform you... that what you write, and how write it (see above)...

... and way you keep on doing it....

-(as in "Feel free to go F yourself")-

.... demonstrates that you are a disgusting little twit, and a person of little consequence.

If that is the role in life that you find appropriate for yourself -congratulations- you're a success!

I treat people with the same respect as they treat me .... as such .... Go F yourself.

Do you get it now sonny?

You don't have to answer that, it was a rhetorical question.

-- hide signature --

Barrie Davis
Like?
Mister Success !!

Boo !!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz