6D stolen feeling very glum

Started Jul 3, 2013 | Discussions
bodtwo
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?
6D stolen feeling very glum
Jul 3, 2013

My new 6d was stolen last night, along with lenses and filters. They also took my GX1 and my Pentax optio for swimming with the fishes pictures.

Waiting on police report and insurance assessor now.

Feeling very sad about this as I'd really enjoyed my few weeks with this camera. I know odd thing to share, but to share with a group of people who can relate makes it that tiny bit better.

Lock your doors, watch your stuff and love your loved ones.

Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
alFR
Regular MemberPosts: 286
Like?
Re: 6D stolen feeling very glum
In reply to bodtwo, Jul 3, 2013

Bad luck, hope it gets sorted and you get back to shooting soon!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wei Kelun
Contributing MemberPosts: 517
Like?
In reply to bodtwo, Jul 3, 2013

Sorry for your loss. I'm glad you're safe.

joseph shtekler
Regular MemberPosts: 176
Like?
In reply to Wei Kelun, Jul 4, 2013

Yap that sucks what kind of people?

hope you have your serial # report it to Canon and check eBay listing ask for serial # from any seller

good luck

Arjun Prabhu
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
In reply to bodtwo, Jul 4, 2013

Sorry to hear that. I can relate. Our house was recently burglarized .. and my entire gear was stolen - 60d, 17-55, 70-200 2.8 IS II ; 10-22mm and 580ex ii.  + a whole lot of other valuables.

Its a shame that people find easy ways to make money

salamander1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,017
Like?

bodtwo wrote:

My new 6d was stolen last night, along with lenses and filters. They also took my GX1 and my Pentax optio for swimming with the fishes pictures.

Feeling very sad about this as I'd really enjoyed my few weeks with this camera. I know odd thing to share, but to share with a group of people who can relate makes it that tiny bit better.

were the cameras stolen from your home? if so, how did they know to target your cameras?  did they steal anything else, like jewelery, etc...? man,  what a bunch of scumbags. sorry for your loss.

this is even more emotional than getting your car stolen.

Michael H
Regular MemberPosts: 475
Like?

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

bodtwo
Like?
In reply to Michael H, Jul 4, 2013

They targeted the house to get the keys for my other half's car which was locked up in the garage. Unfortunately i was supposed to be going out on a hike around Man Tor so had put all the gear in the bag, including (obviously) my good carbon tripod and left it by the door.

Camera gear and mountain bikes (as well as the car) all gone. What the police found odd was that they stole all this gear, two laptops and two mountain bikes and they some how got away in a 2 seater sports car? And what was even funnier was that my keys were on display in the hall next to my bag for my car which is an e class estate the size of a barge! they could have got all that stuff and more into that easily.

All replaceable i guess.

thanks all.

Arlene
Senior MemberPosts: 1,012
Like?

bodtwo wrote:

I commiserate with you. Nothing worse than working hard to buy your gear and then someone just walks off with it. Makes me think about this company that charges five hundred dollars a year to insure up to $10,000 worth of equipment. Maybe I ought to look into it.

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 22,033Gear list
Like?
75% of security systems...
In reply to bodtwo, Jul 5, 2013

75% of security systems are bought after a break in.

Peiasdf
Regular MemberPosts: 211
Like?
Re: 75% of security systems...
In reply to RedFox88, Jul 5, 2013

I am sure there is a Kickstarter project somewhere for a home defense system of sharks with frikin lasers. Ha ha

Don't feel bad. At least your insurance will cover it. It is much better than being robbed on the street.

Muresan Bogdan
Regular MemberPosts: 257
Like?

Sorry for your loss.

You can try and track it using this website:

http://www.stolencamerafinder.com/

you just post a picture made with the camera, it gets the serial from the picture and if the new user puts pictures made with your camera on some website you will find it. Find the user - maybe even find the robbers.

Good luck.

jeremietardieu
Regular MemberPosts: 137
Like?

My 40D + lenses were stolen last year so I understand how you're feeling and I really sympathize

brands
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
Re: 75% of security systems...
In reply to RedFox88, Jul 5, 2013

RedFox88 wrote:

75% of security systems are bought after a break in.

75% of statistics are made up.

Phil
Senior MemberPosts: 2,653Gear list
Like?

bodtwo wrote:

Bummer...

I'm building a location cart for lighting and my now 50-60 pound camera bag. Of course the "location" tends to be inner city rustic with a down on their luck element. I'm pretty concerned the cart is going to make a grab and dash look all to easy.

I'm looking to add spring brakes and sirens that trip if someone lifts the bag or rolls the cart. Of course the dark side will be if the cart bounces on the RR tracks or cobble stone and locks up prematurely.

As long as the activation mechanism is hidden in a way I can activate it without anyone noticing it should work well.

Once upon a time I had a chopped Harley I said you could have if you could start it. No one ever tried to steal it but several asked for a go at starting it. It always started first kick for me and the record dunce worked on it for 45 minutes. The lack of an electric starter limited most attempts to a few minutes but that hidden kill switch kept it all entertaining. By the time the gave up they were more than happy to walk away.

Of course keys on a hook that match the make and model but don't start the car are a nice alarm trip that no one has to remember to arm because you just leave it on.

-- hide signature --

Phil Agur
5DMKII - 5DMKII Dual Body Bag - Go 'L' and don't look back!

Phil's gear list:Phil's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +4 more
troutbum96013
Forum MemberPosts: 72Gear list
Like?
In reply to Phil, Jul 5, 2013

I have a personal articles floater in tandem with my homeowners insurance which covers all my camera equipment. Its costs $140 a year for $12k of coverage. Without the PAF, you will not get enough to replace much as most policies have a low limit on camera equipment.

Good Luck

troutbum96013's gear list:troutbum96013's gear list
Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Hinder
Contributing MemberPosts: 541Gear list
Like?
In reply to bodtwo, Jul 6, 2013

Mother f ers!

A friend has one of those alarms with cameras which are triggered with motion, it calls his cell phone if someone trips it, it records the action on his hidden dvr.  Very cool to watch streaming video on his phone of the inside and outside of his home.

Hinder's gear list:Hinder's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +17 more
bodtwo
Like?
In reply to Hinder, Jul 6, 2013

Thanks for all the commiserations and comments, as well as the tip for that serial number picture site.

We've the assessor round on Wednesday so from that I should know where we stand. I'll let you all know how I get on and I'll then hopefully take some pictures of the new security measures we're thinking of. The standards of course, moat, sharks with lasers, maybe get a bit techy. Motion tracker cam, with a very intense whte light, basically I want to deter, not to record the event for viewing later.

Unfortunately we have few sharks in Yorkshire so may start a thread in the general group "when sharks with lasers are unavailable, how do you protect your home?".

Thanks again, I'll let you know how I get on.

PhotoKhan
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,218
Like?
In reply to bodtwo, Jul 6, 2013

It must be awful. what happened to you.

In situations like these, I tend to sublimate by considering it is preferable to an health problem with a loved one or myself.

As for the lost/stolen photo tracing site, http://www.stolencamerafinder.com/, it is next to useless.

It can't find a single photo from my previous 4 DSLRs, all of them sold to 2nd hand users (...one of them to a buyer in the UK) and also not a single one from an 1DMKIV loaner I got from Canon Germany, one that, being a part of their CPS pool, is bound to have been used by dozens of different photographers in dozens of different tasks.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)
-------------------------------------------------

Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,975
Like?
In reply to Muresan Bogdan, Jul 6, 2013

Muresan Bogdan wrote:

Sorry for your loss.

You can try and track it using this website:

http://www.stolencamerafinder.com/

you just post a picture made with the camera, it gets the serial from the picture and if the new user puts pictures made with your camera on some website you will find it. Find the user - maybe even find the robbers.)

Now THAT is a neat idea.  I would be doing that search every day.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads