Fuji XE-1 post processing

Started Jul 3, 2013 | Discussions
Birse Boy
Regular MemberPosts: 325
Like?
Re: Capture 1
In reply to Al Valentino, Jul 4, 2013

thanks for the reply Al..useful tips.

I've been doing this photography lark for donkeys years ( film and now digital ) but have done very little processing of digital files, something I need to start doing to get the best out of my photos, I will try your approach, cheers.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ChicagoRob
Regular MemberPosts: 142
Like?

Al Valentino wrote:

In other words, sharpening is always my last step after resized. If you do your serious sharpening on a large version and then resize it is not as good Since you have added contrast to edges that then get modified. That is how I have been doing this for many years, sharpen last, remove noise first.

This is the correct methodology. There can be huge differences for radius/amount settings, depending on whether the file is for print or web use. I tend to apply all of my sharpening after conversion, since the choices are much more diversified, whether it be standard unsharp mask, high-pass sharpening(my favorite), luminosity sharpening, etc. These are great tools, especially when combined with layer-masking.

Rob

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,383Gear list
Like?
In reply to ChicagoRob, Jul 4, 2013

ChicagoRob wrote:

Al Valentino wrote:

In other words, sharpening is always my last step after resized. If you do your serious sharpening on a large version and then resize it is not as good Since you have added contrast to edges that then get modified. That is how I have been doing this for many years, sharpen last, remove noise first.

This is the correct methodology. There can be huge differences for radius/amount settings, depending on whether the file is for print or web use. I tend to apply all of my sharpening after conversion, since the choices are much more diversified, whether it be standard unsharp mask, high-pass sharpening(my favorite), luminosity sharpening, etc. These are great tools, especially when combined with layer-masking.

Rob

Layer masking!!! Yes! I often sharpen on a duplicate layer and then mask As needed. No point adding sharpening or contrast or even noise to an area that is best left smooth, like background of subject. Flowers captured with a macro lens is a good example of needing only selective sharpening.

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
ballwin12
Regular MemberPosts: 254Gear list
Like?
Can LR5 work with XE 1?
In reply to Alan Wolf, Jul 4, 2013

Can anyone tell me LR5 will work with Fuji X files? I have XE1 and I can get the student version.

Between LR5 and Aperture, which one is more user interface friendly?

Thanks a lot!

ballwin12's gear list:ballwin12's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,676Gear list
Like?

Good thinking. I'm a total noob really, so tips like these are of great value thanks Al.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
WBartonM
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Re: Can LR5 work with XE 1?
In reply to ballwin12, Jul 4, 2013

ballwin12 wrote:

Can anyone tell me LR5 will work with Fuji X files? I have XE1 and I can get the student version.

Thanks a lot!

I use LR5 with my X-pro1. LR5 will work with the Fuji files. Many members here at DPR will tell you that Lightroom is not the strongest processor for Fuji. However, I use Lightroom and like it for its organization and interface, and am satisfied with the results I'm getting. I haven't used Aperture, or any of the other developers, for that matter, so I cannot compare LR to others.

albfoto55
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
In reply to WBartonM, Jul 5, 2013

Can I use LR5 and then export to CS4?

michaeel
Like?
DxO Optics Pro
In reply to Al Valentino, Jul 5, 2013

for you DxO Optics Pro is a good post processing program?

did any of you ever tried tris program?

Al Valentino
Like?
In reply to albfoto55, Jul 5, 2013

Can I use LR5 and then export to CS4?

Yes

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Al Valentino
Like?
Re: DxO Optics Pro
In reply to michaeel, Jul 5, 2013

for you DxO Optics Pro is a good post processing program?

did any of you ever tried tris program?

Does not work on fuji files at this time

flbrit
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,122Gear list
Like?
C1 Question

Hey Al

Does C1 have an export to CS feature as well?

Brian

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Sony Alpha 7 II Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +7 more
michaeel
Like?
Re: DxO Optics Pro

I didn't know that dont worked with fuji files

Al Valentino
Like?
Re: C1 Question
In reply to flbrit, Jul 5, 2013

flbrit wrote:

Hey Al

Does C1 have an export to CS feature as well?

Brian

Yes. I can work on the raw then export a tiff, jpeg, same or resized to photoshop. It will also export the file to a folder and open the same file in photoshop. that is how I have been doing as I hae not taken the time to learn to cataloque system. So i have been drgging a file, usually from phooshop bridge, on my mac, to C1, then after a few adjustment export the file back to the folder and open in photoshop in one step. I work as needed in photoshop then save file.... So i have only been using it for raw conversions thus far.

Funny how when I look at the images in Bridge, the thumbnails show the embedded jpeg. The moment I click on the image it renders in Bridge with ACR defaults - which often make it look worse. Then I open the raw in C1 to see it render with the deaults, then smile again. Seems my goal in ACR was to get it to look as good as the fuji jpegs, and with C1 it is easy to exceed that standard with little effort.

Like all these, they have a free 30 day trial, no watermarks, the real deal.

Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,874Gear list
Like?

I would be interested to know precisely what people find awkward or unacceptable with Silkypix ?  I am not questioning the validity of this judgement as I last used SP several years ago but don't all converters require a learning curve before they become second nature ?

I tend to use a secondary processing program to backup any RAW converter but I know that some prefer to do all their editing in the one converter.

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Al Valentino
Like?
In reply to Keit ll, Jul 5, 2013

Keit ll wrote:

I would be interested to know precisely what people find awkward or unacceptable with Silkypix ? I am not questioning the validity of this judgement as I last used SP several years ago but don't all converters require a learning curve before they become second nature ?

I tend to use a secondary processing program to backup any RAW converter but I know that some prefer to do all their editing in the one converter.

-- hide signature --

Keith C

only played with it a little long ago. Great conversion but the awkward aspect is basically about the controls being different with names that are a bit ocunter intuitive. Sort of like going from america to the UK, or vice versa, and having to drive on the other side of the road. Nothing wrong with either but a bit disorienting at first.

the only real tangible drawback to Silkypix is, I think, that it is not as goog as adobe or C1 in terms of pulling back extremely over or under exposed images, so DR is a bit less, which can be a problem working on some photos. However, i am not 100% sure and someone else can address this better.

Birse Boy
Regular MemberPosts: 325
Like?
In reply to Keit ll, Jul 5, 2013

Same here. To me it ( Silkypix ) actually feels quite quick and simple to use, but then my judgement is not clouded by extensive use of any other system. I certainly struggle to see why it gets so much "stick".

Ross Kennedy
Regular MemberPosts: 299
Like?
In reply to ballwin12, Jul 5, 2013

ballwin12 wrote:

Thanks a lot!

Yes - LR4 and onwards will do the x-trans files.

Both LR and Aperture have very good, user-friendly interfaces. I have been using LR for a long time but have recently moved to a "dual workflow" with Aperture (while I figure out if I want to switch) and it doesn't take long to find your way around. Also there are tons of tutorials on the web for both options.

ballwin12
Like?
In reply to Ross Kennedy, Jul 5, 2013

Ross Kennedy wrote:

ballwin12 wrote:

Thanks a lot!

Yes - LR4 and onwards will do the x-trans files.

Both LR and Aperture have very good, user-friendly interfaces. I have been using LR for a long time but have recently moved to a "dual workflow" with Aperture (while I figure out if I want to switch) and it doesn't take long to find your way around. Also there are tons of tutorials on the web for both options.

Hi Ross, thank you a lot for your input !

Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
ballwin12
Like?
In reply to WBartonM, Jul 5, 2013

WBartonM wrote:

ballwin12 wrote:

Thanks a lot!

I use LR5 with my X-pro1. LR5 will work with the Fuji files. Many members here at DPR will tell you that Lightroom is not the strongest processor for Fuji. However, I use Lightroom and like it for its organization and interface, and am satisfied with the results I'm getting. I haven't used Aperture, or any of the other developers, for that matter, so I cannot compare LR to others.

Thank you a lot, WBartonM.

dasjx49
Forum MemberPosts: 52Gear list
Like?

Al Valentino wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

I would be interested to know precisely what people find awkward or unacceptable with Silkypix ? I am not questioning the validity of this judgement as I last used SP several years ago but don't all converters require a learning curve before they become second nature ?

-- hide signature --

Keith C

only played with it a little long ago. Great conversion but the awkward aspect is basically about the controls being different with names that are a bit ocunter intuitive. Sort of like going from america to the UK, or vice versa, and having to drive on the other side of the road. Nothing wrong with either but a bit disorienting at first.

the only real tangible drawback to Silkypix is, I think, that it is not as goog as adobe or C1 in terms of pulling back extremely over or under exposed images, so DR is a bit less, which can be a problem working on some photos. However, i am not 100% sure and someone else can address this better.

I don't have a great deal of time invested in working with Silkypix and C1 at this point, being somewhat of a beginner, but found it much easier to navigate within Silkypix after reviewing the tutorial set up by another member at http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51741953 .  It's not necessarily more difficult -  just different.

I have to agree with Al about Silkypix pulling back highlights.  Working from the same RAF file, Silkypix just couldn't deal with the highlights as well as C1 could.  The color adjustment capability in Silkypix was nicely effective and easy to use, though.

dasjx49's gear list:dasjx49's gear list
Fujifilm X20
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads