70D 19 pt all crosstype AF vs 7D 19 pt AF

Started Jul 3, 2013 | Discussions
Don Richardson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,454Gear list
Like?
70D 19 pt all crosstype AF vs 7D 19 pt AF
Jul 3, 2013

I read somewhere here that the 70D AF system isn't the same as the 7D AF system but can't find it now. Who ever wrote that it's different said the 70D was lacking some of the 7D's AF functions.

If this is correct could some 7D shooters or folks that understand the 19 pt system explain what is different between the two systems. I'm not talking about the Live view and Video AF just the 19 pt used with the viewfinder.

I've read what I could find but couldn't see the differences.

DonR
http://donr.zenfolio.com/

Don Richardson's gear list:Don Richardson's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Epson Artisan 835 +1 more
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jonathan Brady
Senior MemberPosts: 2,249Gear list
Like?
Don't know for sure but...
In reply to Don Richardson, Jul 3, 2013

I've read just the opposite.  In fact, I've read something along the lines of "the 70D is inheriting the AF system from the 7D"

Jonathan Brady's gear list:Jonathan Brady's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MarshallG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,727Gear list
Like?
Re: 70D 19 pt all crosstype AF vs 7D 19 pt AF

On paper, the viewfinder autofocus of 7D and 70D are identical in every way but two:
1) 7D has easier focus point selection (the joystick)
2) 7D has a dedicated CPU for focus, while the 70D has a single, faster CPU.

Overall, the two autofocus systems appear to be virtually identical, and any differences will be negligible. Here are some key things:

They both have 19 cross-type focus sensors. That is really fantastic. They both have the same focusing modes, including an AI Servo mode that will track focus across the 19 sensors while you shoot at 7 or 8 fps. That is the sports photography mode, which really differentiates the 7D (and now, the 70D). This is the mode that takes the most CPU time.

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +4 more
Jonathan Brady
Like?
...just remembered something...
In reply to Jonathan Brady, Jul 3, 2013

I just remembered something I read earlier - the 70D only has 3 modes to choose from whereas the 7D has 5.  70D has "all points AF", "single point AF" and "zone AF" so it's missing "spot AF" and "AF point expansion".

Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +16 more
WilbaW
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,809Gear list
Like?
Re: ...just remembered something...
In reply to Jonathan Brady, Jul 3, 2013

Jonathan Brady wrote:

I just remembered something I read earlier - the 70D only has 3 modes to choose from whereas the 7D has 5. 70D has "all points AF", "single point AF" and "zone AF" so it's missing "spot AF" and "AF point expansion".

What about the "focus area expansion control" - "The small button between the shutter release and the front dial is a dedicated focus area expansion control. Pressing it allows you to expand the AF area from a single point to progressively larger groups of points - useful when tracking a moving subject." (DPReview preview, page 4.)

Jonathan Brady
Like?
In reply to WilbaW, Jul 3, 2013

could be single point to zone to all points?

The 70D "specifications" page on Canon's website doesn't list "spot AF" or "AF point expansion"

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_70d#Specifications

That's all I can come up with...? :-/

Karl Gnter Wnsch
Forum ProPosts: 11,101Gear list
Like?
In reply to MarshallG, Jul 3, 2013

MarshallG wrote:

They both have the same focusing modes

Nope, the 70D is lacking the Spot-AF...

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list:Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
MarshallG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,727Gear list
Like?
In reply to Karl Gnter Wnsch, Jul 3, 2013

MarshallG wrote:

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

Oh? If so... that mode never made any sense to me anyways.

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +4 more
TTMartin
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,654Gear list
Like?

MarshallG wrote:

On paper, the viewfinder autofocus of 7D and 70D are identical in every way but two:
1) 7D has easier focus point selection (the joystick)

Having both the 7D and the 6D, it is not easier to select a focus point using the joystick instead of the 8 way controller on the wheel it is just different.

The 8 way controller on the wheel has its own advantage, that being when using a battery grip in portrait orientation it is still usable, where the joystick of the 7D is not reachable when using a battery grip in portrait orientation.

2) 7D has a dedicated CPU for focus, while the 70D has a single, faster CPU.

Overall, the two autofocus systems appear to be virtually identical, and any differences will be negligible. Here are some key things:

They both have 19 cross-type focus sensors. That is really fantastic. They both have the same focusing modes, including an AI Servo mode that will track focus across the 19 sensors while you shoot at 7 or 8 fps. That is the sports photography mode, which really differentiates the 7D (and now, the 70D). This is the mode that takes the most CPU time.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D +24 more
Karl Gnter Wnsch
Forum ProPosts: 11,101Gear list
Like?

MarshallG wrote:

It's the most used for me if focusing is critical - even with moving subjects. It's the most valuable amongst all of the focusing modes the 7D provides when you need a certain area of your subject in critical focus (like the eyes of a portrait or the head of a flying bird).

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list:Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Paul B Jones
Senior MemberPosts: 1,140Gear list
Like?

MarshallG wrote:

MarshallG wrote:

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

I use it with large telephoto lenses to set the focus on the eye of a bird or mammal when shooting through heavy brush. It seems to cut down on focus hunting in such situations.

-- hide signature --
 Paul B Jones's gear list:Paul B Jones's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 400mm f/4.0 DO IS USM Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM +5 more
drbird
Regular MemberPosts: 232Gear list
Like?
In reply to Karl Gnter Wnsch, Jul 3, 2013

I use spot-AF a lot mainly for small song birds to make sure the eyes are in focus. But goo luck using for birds in flight....it really struggles already with slow moving birds like egrets, ducks and the like.  Things get even worse in bad light or with black-colored birds like the whole Auk-family.

Single point focus has not nearly these kind of problems with BIF.

But the missing spot AF, the SD-cards and the lack of the joystick for moving the active AF-points is a real disadvantage in my eye.

Regards

drbird's gear list:drbird's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM
Flying Fish
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,036Gear list
Like?
Lack of spot focus would be a deal-breaker for me
In reply to drbird, Jul 3, 2013

As others have explained...also good for small birds like hummingbirds.

FF

Flying Fish's gear list:Flying Fish's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Flying Fish
Like?
What is the smallest aperture the 70D's AF will work with?

The 7D needs a minimum aperture of f/5.6 for the AF to work.  I haven't seen the comparable  spec for the 70D--anyone know?

FF

Don Richardson
Like?
In reply to WilbaW, Jul 3, 2013

WilbaW wrote:

Jonathan Brady wrote:

I just remembered something I read earlier - the 70D only has 3 modes to choose from whereas the 7D has 5. 70D has "all points AF", "single point AF" and "zone AF" so it's missing "spot AF" and "AF point expansion".

What about the "focus area expansion control" - "The small button between the shutter release and the front dial is a dedicated focus area expansion control. Pressing it allows you to expand the AF area from a single point to progressively larger groups of points - useful when tracking a moving subject." (DPReview preview, page 4.)

This is what I read. Not ever having usied the 7D it would seem that missing "spot AF" and "AF point expansion" would be a really big deal with BIF doesn't it?

-- hide signature --
007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,427Gear list
Like?
I recall DPR say F/11 using Live View
In reply to Flying Fish, Jul 3, 2013

Flying Fish wrote:

The 7D needs a minimum aperture of f/5.6 for the AF to work. I haven't seen the comparable spec for the 70D--anyone know?

Go back and read the 70d preview.  As I recalled from memory, because of the Dual CMOS Sensor, 70d can shoot up to F/11 using Live View, but not with OVF.

Either way, this open up new possibility.  A 2X TC on 70-200 F4 = 140-400mm F8 shouldn't be a problem now.

007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Nikon D3100 Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
dhogaza
Forum MemberPosts: 72Gear list
Like?

Don Richardson wrote:

This is what I read. Not ever having usied the 7D it would seem that missing "spot AF" and "AF point expansion" would be a really big deal with BIF doesn't it?

"spot AF" works best with semi-static subjects, when you're trying to zero in on an eye or the like.

"AF point expansion" is indeed really nice for active subjects like BIF.

Don Richardson
Like?
In reply to dhogaza, Jul 3, 2013

dhogaza wrote:

Don Richardson wrote:

"spot AF" works best with semi-static subjects, when you're trying to zero in on an eye or the like.

"AF point expansion" is indeed really nice for active subjects like BIF.

Seems strange that Canon left these two important options out. Could these be added with a firmware update?

-- hide signature --
Flying Fish
Like?

I wouldn't know, but none of the xxD line ever had them to my knowledge.  I know those features were among the 7D specs that led me to buy it almost as soon as it was available, and I'm really enjoying them.

FF

rickyred
Regular MemberPosts: 449Gear list
Like?

I moved from the very nice 60D, to the 7D. Great AF system. I have read a lot of post on this forum about focus problems with the 7D. Most of which I believe is not from learning the AF system of the 7D. Will this beginĀ all over with the 70D?

rickyred's gear list:rickyred's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 35-350mm f/3.5-5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Sigma 1.4x EX DG Tele Converter +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads