Sony RX100 II: 49mm Filter Adapter

Started Jul 3, 2013 | Discussions
ChicagoOutfit
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
Sony RX100 II: 49mm Filter Adapter
Jul 3, 2013

Hello,

I'm excited about the RX100 and RX100 II accessory 49mm Filter Adapter (Model number: VFA-49R1 ) by Sony. I currently own the RX100 and purchased the Circular Polarising MagFilter by Carry Speed for my recent trip to South America. It was the first filter that I'd ever bought; and mostly I found it was good for cutting out the inner glare on the windows of the taxi cabs we would ride, and on very sunny days taking landscape photos.

Can someone give ideas as to what possibilities exist now that there will be an accessory for the RX100s that will allow for any 49mm filter to be used? Sadly, Carry Speed hasn't made any other 42mm filters (to my knowledge) that work with its magnetic ring.

Are Neutral Density filters by Hoya (or any other brand that make 2x, 4x, and 8x), filters which would make my photos sharper (with a higher contrast) than with the CPL MagFilter? From what I've read, I believe so. It seems like when taking pictures of the city of Chicago from far away, that these types of ND filters would remove the "hazy" look that seems to dull the buildings from afar.

Also, will Close Up filters work well with the RX100s? It would be great to finally be able to take very high macro photos of everyday objects. Are there filters that enhance photos taken at night (such as a concert venue or sporting event)?

All in all, what lenses are people most likely to use now that the RX100s will be able to fit any 49mm lens on the market (I believe, anyway)? I try to read as much as I can, but because I don't know anyone with actual experience with lenses, I am unsure as to how I would best incorporate this new feature into my amateur photography. Are there any brands to consider above others?

Thank you in advance,

CO

elliottnewcomb
Senior MemberPosts: 6,970Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony RX100 II: 49mm Filter Adapter
In reply to ChicagoOutfit, Jul 3, 2013

From what I have seen, I am not too impressed with Sony's filter adapter. 49mm is the only diameter choice, and the part on the camera before you add the 49mm filter protrudes a bit. It does not appear very good looking either. It may have an advantage of staying on in strong wind. I presume it removes easily when not needed.

I chose Carry Speed MagFilter Adapter, and like it very much. It is beautifully made, and very good looking, if you like red. It comes in various diameters. Looks like this:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3503867#forum-post-51655724

The magnet is the red ring you see, on the backside of the removable adapter plate. which has threads of (you choose) mm diameter to receive any filter type, from any manufacturer.

On the camera is a thin metal washer they give you, that fastens with self-adhesive and stays on the front of the camera. That is what the magnet sticks to.

When the adapter is not on the camera, nothing protrudes. Strong wind, from the side or rear, could blow it off. I used my 58mm in my convertible at 70mph, careful to avoid direct side or rear wind, it held just fine. For wind use, smaller diameter would be better than larger to reduce the plates rear surface.

here is an old thread about filter adapters, newer stuff is out there since then.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/42283037

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S85 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100 Olympus Stylus 1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
elliottnewcomb
Like?

ChicagoOutfit wrote:

Hello,

I'm excited about the RX100 and RX100 II accessory 49mm Filter Adapter (Model number: VFA-49R1 ) by Sony. I currently own the RX100 and purchased the Circular Polarising MagFilter by Carry Speed for my recent trip to South America. It was the first filter that I'd ever bought; and mostly I found it was good for cutting out the inner glare on the windows of the taxi cabs we would ride, and on very sunny days taking landscape photos.

Can someone give ideas as to what possibilities exist now that there will be an accessory for the RX100s that will allow for any 49mm filter to be used? Sadly, Carry Speed hasn't made any other 42mm filters (to my knowledge) that work with its magnetic ring.

Are Neutral Density filters by Hoya (or any other brand that make 2x, 4x, and 8x), filters which would make my photos sharper (with a higher contrast) than with the CPL MagFilter? From what I've read, I believe so. It seems like when taking pictures of the city of Chicago from far away, that these types of ND filters would remove the "hazy" look that seems to dull the buildings from afar.

Also, will Close Up filters work well with the RX100s? It would be great to finally be able to take very high macro photos of everyday objects. Are there filters that enhance photos taken at night (such as a concert venue or sporting event)?

All in all, what lenses are people most likely to use now that the RX100s will be able to fit any 49mm lens on the market (I believe, anyway)? I try to read as much as I can, but because I don't know anyone with actual experience with lenses, I am unsure as to how I would best incorporate this new feature into my amateur photography. Are there any brands to consider above others?

Thank you in advance,

CO

FILTERS

· UV / Haze and Skylight filters protect the surface of your lens against scratches, dust, moisture and fingerprints, which in the long term can harm the lens coatings. UV / Haze and Skylight filters also minimize atmospheric haze, which results in better overall image quality. Protective filters also keep dust, moisture and fingerprints at bay, but are not as effective in cutting through atmospheric haze.

· The difference between an inexpensive filter and a pricier one has to do with the quality of the glass (the costlier filter most likely contains optically purer and thinner glass), the quality of the anti-reflective and color coatings and retaining ring (better filters have brass rings instead of aluminum).

· Polarizing filters reduce or eliminate distracting reflections from the surface of glass, water and other polished surfaces, darken skies, make clouds pop from their surroundings and saturate color by reducing stray ambient glare.

· Polarizing filters are also available combined with warming filters, enhancing filters and diffusion filters. Weather-resistant Kaeseman Polarizers are also available for use in extreme, damp climates.

· Neutral density (ND)filters block varying degrees of light from striking the imaging sensor (or film) in order to shoot at wider apertures under bright lighting conditions, blur moving objects in the frame regardless of ambient light levels and allow for better exposure control when shooting video or film.

· ND and Color Graduated filters darken or tint the top or bottom (or left and right) portion of the frame while leaving the opposite side untouched. They are useful for equalizing exposures of scenes containing extreme lighting variables on opposing sides of the frame, as well as adding an element of drama to an otherwise good, but not great, image.

· Enhancing and Intensifying filters are useful for intensifying the color-saturation levels of reds and other earth tones, making them desirable for landscape and foliage photography.

· CC filters allow you to incrementally adjust the color levels of your cyan, magenta, yellow, red, green and blue channels.

· Though most photographers rely on conventional glass screw-in filters, lens filters are also available as square and rectangular filters made out of polyester, gelatin and resin. These filters, some of which are optically purer than glass filters, require holders and extra levels of care when handled.

· If you plan on using one filter on several lenses, you should purchase a slim or thin version to better ensure it won’t vignette the corners of the frame when used on a wide-angle lens.

Elliott

ChicagoOutfit
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
In reply to elliottnewcomb, Jul 3, 2013

Thank you for the information about filters and all of their differing purposes.

Can you please let me know if there are specific brands/retailers that anyone would recommend for filters (for use with the RX100 or RX100 II)? Is there any one filter, whether it be CPL or ND (2x, 4x, 8x), that I should purchase first... in the instance that I want to take photos of a skyline on a sunny day? Are any specific filters meant to assist in nighttime photography?

FramerDave
Contributing MemberPosts: 566
Like?

First of all, with the magnetic ring already occupying the front of the RX100, I don't think you can attach the Sony system (essentially Lensmate bayonet). If you are talking about fitting one to the RX100II then I would probably get the CPL and ND x8. I went with Sony's own 49mm filters but Hoya, B+W are also reputable brands. 49mm filters are few and far in between so choices are limited. Must have multi coating do not go cheap. The part (Lensmate or Sony) that is glued to the front of the RX100 is actually very thin. The large round thing that you see is actually the filter holder which then you bayonet twist onto the ring (1/3 turn). Lensmate system you can get more of these filter holders so you can have one for each filter, I am pretty sure Sony has the same idea.

I am not aware of filters that help in the dark but there are wide angle and close-up filters you can play with but they usually degraded the quality of the image even the expensive one. I found them to be a waste of time for still but video might be ok.

ND filters are for brightly lit situations where you still want say f1.8 for shallow DOF or 1/30 shutter for smooth video especially at 24p. (Video appears very "choppy" with shutter faster than 1/250). Or even slower shutter speed on a tripod to get smooth waterfall type of shots in very bright days.

49mm is chosen because a lot of Nex E-mount lenses also use 49mm so I share filters between my RX100 and Nex-7.

joe1512
Forum MemberPosts: 82
Like?

I would go with the Carry Speed 52mm threaded adapter personally.  Which is a bummer since you already bought one adapter with built in CPL.

Its ridiculously overpriced since it doesnt even have a lens...just a small metal ring with some glue on it, and a metal adapter with some threading.  Cost like 50 cents to make.   At least the one you got had a CPL, even of dubious quality.

A polarizer is gonna be the best first thing to get.  It removes reflections and definitely helps darken the sky.  All my pre-filter pics outdoors tend to have washed out sky and this is a big help.   It also helps increase saturation and contrast in some cases.

It also works as a 1.5stop neutral density filter.  Generally enough to be able to take a 1.8 aperature portrait or whatever outdoors in bright light.

I'd like to point out that you can use a LINEAR polarizer (old school) just fine since this camera does not apparently use the style of autofocus detection that gets messed up by linear polarizers.   They are theoretically cheaper and might work better, but I havent seen them very accessable(buyable) nor much hard data on this.  Like comparing 1 brand of Linear vs CPL to see any difference.

There is a website article that compares 25 popular polarizers.  http://www.lenstip.com/115.4-article-Polarizing_filters_test_Results_and_summary.html

The Marumi DHG CPL seems to be the best one for the money.  44 bucks at amazon currently for 52mm.

A neutral density is probably the next one to consider.  You likely only need it for taking pictures of MOVING WATER...like fountains and waterfalls.  The theory is to put it on, set the aperature to F11, ISO to 125, and force a long 4 second exposure so that the water is nice and smooth.  This is kind of a narrow usecase to me and the CPL will likely get you close enough to get an adequate effect.

It is basically sunglasses for your camera.  It wont make things sharper at all, just let in less light to bypass the normal restrictions of 1/2000 shutter speed or F11 min aperature.

jon404
Senior MemberPosts: 1,807
Like?

I use 52mm filters with my RX100, but I just hold them over the lens. The Hoya polarizer has a mark so you can tell the point of max effect, and a quarter-turn from that, the least effect. ND neutral density filters are easy -- just put them over the lens to cut the light.

But mostly, I use two Tiffen 2X ND grad filters screwed together to darken the sky at sunset, so I can expose for the land. You want to get at least a 52mm filter to do this, so you can move it up or down in front of the lens to change the effect.

Holding the filter in your hand is a lot easier than using a fixed filter mount. I keep a polarizer and the ND filter in my other shirt pocket.

As for filters for lens protection... I use Hoya UV filters on my Pentax K-01, but the RX100 doesn't need them, with its built-in lens cover. UV to cut haze? Try the polarizer instead. There are limits -- all the crap in the air over a big city... summer heat haze in the country... can't cut through it.

-- hide signature --

Jonathon Donahue, San Diego, California

EthanP99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,240Gear list
Like?

i have the lensmate version of the sony filter ring in 52mm, works with all 52mm filters and close up lenses

EthanP99's gear list:EthanP99's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
kage
Senior MemberPosts: 1,472Gear list
Like?
Has anyone found any information about how the Sony adapter attaches?

Is it an adhesive based attachment like the other two available adapters?

- k

kage's gear list:kage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 II NEX5R NEX5R Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
EthanP99
Like?
Re: Has anyone found any information about how the Sony adapter attaches?
In reply to kage, Jul 3, 2013

yes its an adhesive bayonette

Sony RX1R Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
Carmen Towles
Senior MemberPosts: 1,996Gear list
Like?
In reply to EthanP99, Jul 3, 2013

No adhesive...straight from the website...

'Receiver securely attaches to lens barrel....Easy on/off with one-touch release'

Carmen Towles's gear list:Carmen Towles's gear list
Apple iPhone 5s
EthanP99
Like?
In reply to Carmen Towles, Jul 3, 2013

how do you think you get it on in the first place?

EthanP99
Like?
In reply to Carmen Towles, Jul 3, 2013

theres two pieces, one that attaches to the lens via adhesive and the other (threaded end) attaches to that piece.

Carmen Towles
Senior MemberPosts: 1,996Gear list
Like?
In reply to EthanP99, Jul 4, 2013

Direct from Sony (live) customer service there is 4 parts and one of the parts is called a receiver that attached to the lens barrel.  Then there is the guide ring, then the filter adapter  Then a remover for the adapter. And you can choose to leave it on the camera if you decide to or not. She said absolutely no glue...You can see the 4 pieces on the website.

Carmen Towles's gear list:Carmen Towles's gear list
Apple iPhone 5s
kage
Senior MemberPosts: 1,472Gear list
Like?
In reply to Carmen Towles, Jul 4, 2013

I am so confused.

- k

kage's gear list:kage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 II NEX5R NEX5R Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
EthanP99
Like?
In reply to Carmen Towles, Jul 4, 2013

Carmen Towles wrote:

Direct from Sony (live) customer service there is 4 parts and one of the parts is called a receiver that attached to the lens barrel. Then there is the guide ring, then the filter adapter Then a remover for the adapter. And you can choose to leave it on the camera if you decide to or not. She said absolutely no glue...You can see the 4 pieces on the website.

its double sided adhesive (tape) that makes the receiver stay on.

take a look at the package from lensmate compared to the sony

http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/sonyRX100.php

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666583659

Adhesive does not necessarily mean glue, its tape. The remover is a piece if string to cut in between the lens and receiver. If you decide to remove it, you would need to order another.

JCB123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,202Gear list
Like?
In reply to ChicagoOutfit, Jul 4, 2013

ChicagoOutfit wrote:

Hello,

Thank you in advance,

CO

If you get Carry Speeds adapter ring instead of the CPL then you can fit any makers filters. They make adapters in various sizes - 49, 52, 55  & 58 if I remember correctly. I chose 52mm because that is the filter size I have standardised on for my m4/3 lenses. On the Rx100 it offers a little more insurance against vignetting and yet is not too big.

So with the adapter ring you are then free to use CPL, ND and close up filters from any manufacturer, and also use any larger size filters you might have with the use of step up rings.

I use a Hoya pro 1 CPL for either cutting out glare and reflections or increasing saturation, or just to allow a slightly slower shutter speed. I sometimes use an ND filter to allow the use of slow shutter speeds and/or wide aperture in bright light. I have a 58mm AML (close up) that I can attach via a step up ring that allows me to take macro images using the long end of the zoom range, although  I would normally use a different camera for macro the RX100 and a few filters and adapters can be carried easily in you pockets.

I also bought a few JJC 52mm pinch style lens caps for use when I have either adapters, step ups or filters fitted to my RX100 or m4/3 lenses.

Regards

John

JCB123's gear list:JCB123's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100
elliottnewcomb
Like?
In reply to joe1512, Jul 4, 2013

joe1512 wrote:

I would go with the Carry Speed 52mm threaded adapter personally. Which is a bummer since you already bought one adapter with built in CPL.

There is some confusion about Carry Speeds CPL. It is a filter, not an adapter. You get the standard thin metal washer that self-adhesive sticks to front of the camera. The CPL filter is a single ring, not two rings, because it simply rotates on the magnet.

So the money is not wasted, and he has the filter type you think should be first already.

For other filters, you get the adapter plate of whatever diameter you chose, and put any filter on it.

The magnet is the red ring, on the filter or adapter, not on the camers.

Elliott

Liz Z.
Senior MemberPosts: 1,265Gear list
Like?
In reply to JCB123, Jul 14, 2013

JCB123 wrote:

If you get Carry Speeds adapter ring instead of the CPL then you can fit any makers filters. They make adapters in various sizes - 49, 52, 55 & 58 if I remember correctly. I chose 52mm because that is the filter size I have standardised on for my m4/3 lenses. On the Rx100 it offers a little more insurance against vignetting and yet is not too big.

So with the adapter ring you are then free to use CPL, ND and close up filters from any manufacturer, and also use any larger size filters you might have with the use of step up rings.

Unfortunately the 49mm CarrySpeed threaded adapter does not work with the RX100; it works only with the Canon S95, S100, S100, etc. 52mm is the smallest size you can get from CarrySpeed for the RX100.

See http://www.photographyandcinema.com/products/magfilter-threaded-adapter-ring

<<[NEW] We've just added a new 49mm MagFilter Threaded Adapter. This version mounts to the same Lens Ring Mount as our 36mm CPL adapter to fit small cameras such as the Canon Powershot S95 / S100 /S110 ..... MagFilter Threaded Adapter Ring (choose one during checkout). Available to support either 52mm / 55mm / 58mm filters for Sony RX100 / HX9V / HX20V / HX30V / Canon G12 / Canon G15>>

-- hide signature --

Liz

Liz Z.'s gear list:Liz Z.'s gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Sony RX100 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +1 more
russpj
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
In reply to EthanP99, Jul 14, 2013
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads