Which is the better lens the sony 50-300 or the Tamron sp 75-300

Started Jul 3, 2013 | Discussions
Edward Greenberg
Regular MemberPosts: 230Gear list
Like?
Which is the better lens the sony 50-300 or the Tamron sp 75-300
Jul 3, 2013

Want to purchase a tele zoom for my A&&. I know the Sony is a little cheaper and the firmware is set to compensate for its deficiencies, so while I figured optically the Tamron might be better, real world pictures with the Sony might be better. Am I correct?

Edward Greenberg's gear list:Edward Greenberg's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
dlkeller
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,388
Like?
Re: Which is the better lens the sony 50-300 or the Tamron sp 75-300
In reply to Edward Greenberg, Jul 3, 2013

Suggest you check dyxum.com for ratings and information on lenses.  I just did this on these lenses, I don't see a Sony 50-300 listed and the only Tamron 75-300 is not rated very well.  Maybe I need to dig deeper as this was just a quick check.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
craig66
Regular MemberPosts: 444Gear list
Like?

Without seeing formal tests from the same source of both lenses, it's hard to say which is optically better. Consensus seem to be that they are roughly equal optically. Which leaves other criteria any of which may or may not be important to a particular person

Sony 55-300 Advantages:

1. Much lighter than the Tamron

2. In camera corrections

3. A little more flexible - 55mm vs 70mm at the wide end

4. A little cheaper

Tamron SP 70-300 Advantages:

1. Front element does not rotate

2. Full frame lens

3. AF is claimed to be faster, but in the absence of formal tests it's a bit hard to say for certain.

4. AF possibly quieter.

I have a 55-300 for which I paid $250 AUD new and consider it very good for the price. The lower price and lower weight were that main factors that swayed me to the Sony over the Tamron.

craig66's gear list:craig66's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) +4 more
dlkeller
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,388
Like?
In reply to craig66, Jul 3, 2013

If the OP meant the two lenses you wrote about (and I suspect he did)  I agree totally with your analysis.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Photoviewer
Regular MemberPosts: 464
Like?
In reply to craig66, Jul 3, 2013

craig66 wrote:

Without seeing formal tests from the same source of both lenses, it's hard to say which is optically better. Consensus seem to be that they are roughly equal optically. Which leaves other criteria any of which may or may not be important to a particular person

Sony 55-300 Advantages:

1. Much lighter than the Tamron

2. In camera corrections

3. A little more flexible - 55mm vs 70mm at the wide end

4. A little cheaper

Tamron SP 70-300 Advantages:

1. Front element does not rotate

2. Full frame lens

3. AF is claimed to be faster, but in the absence of formal tests it's a bit hard to say for certain.

4. AF possibly quieter.

I have a 55-300 for which I paid $250 AUD new and consider it very good for the price. The lower price and lower weight were that main factors that swayed me to the Sony over the Tamron.

This is exactly why I chose the Sony as well. The Tamron indeed look far more serious in term of build and weight. Its weight turn me off. But if I am ok with the weight, I will chose a used Sony 70-300 G any time which is Sony own lense, come with focus hold, focus limiter and of cause, it is a G

Cheers.

OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,867Gear list
Like?

"Want to purchase a tele zoom for my A&&. I know the Sony is a little cheaper and the firmware is set to compensate for its deficiencies, so while I figured optically the Tamron might be better, real world pictures with the Sony might be better. Am I correct?"

That is the way I figured it too and I got the Sony 55-300 SAM.  It is a very nice lens.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A65 +17 more
DistantView
Forum MemberPosts: 53Gear list
Like?

Hi Edward

I asked the same question yesterday & it might help you to look at the replies on that thread - about 10 posts below this one but I've no idea how to add a link - sorry !

Good luck

RT

grgi
Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?
No comparison, but some real world experiences with the Tamron

Hi Edward,

I don't know how good the Sony is, I just can give you a few experiences with the Tamron

- First, the Sony telezoom lenses are said to be produced by Tamron, I heard that the Sony 70-300G has the same optical calculation as the Tamron 70-300 SP. I just heard that, I don't have a proof about it.

- My Tamron is sharp and bright with a good, smooth bokeh up to 250mm.
- Stopping down 1 stop makes it even better. Perfectly crisp pictures. 135mm @ f8 equals perfect portraits. And yes, I think f8 makes the background blurry enough. 
- At 300mm, there's a visible decline in sharpness. Some unsharp masking in PP, and it is fine, nevertheless I try to avoid the 300mm.
- Yeah it's bulky. I used it with my A37 which was too tiny to get good ergnonomics. I sold the A37 and got the A58. So you see, I like the Tamron .

best regards
grgi

Gary Waugh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,357Gear list
Like?

The Tamron has a six year warranty. You won't get that with the Sony lens.

-- hide signature --

Gary in PA

Gary Waugh's gear list:Gary Waugh's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 II
Edward Greenberg
Regular MemberPosts: 230Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gary Waugh, Jul 3, 2013

It looks like I will go with the Sony. My a77 is heavy enough without adding the lens. As optically they seem similar, the longer reachand lighter weight sway me to the Sony. As far as the warranty., I have a bunch of lenses two years to 20 years and all work fine. I am not a pro so I don't need pro caliber stuff. Besides my 16-50 is on my camera 90 percent of thetime. Thanks you all for your input.

Edward Greenberg's gear list:Edward Greenberg's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads