Point and Shoot/Camcorder Sling Bag

Started Jul 2, 2013 | Discussions
Fastfwd01
Regular MemberPosts: 301Gear list
Like?
Point and Shoot/Camcorder Sling Bag
Jul 2, 2013

I’m not currently a DSLR shooter, but like the style of the sling bags without knowing a great deal about them. I’ve got a few smaller shoulder bags, belt bags, but nothing that allows me to carry a new external microphone addition to the gear list, etc. all in one bag.

I’m going to be perfectly honest; I hate to sound like a douche saying this, but a couple of my bags are Lowepro and they seem to serve their purpose well enough. I’m sort of put off by their availability at every big chain retailer though and see several options of brands that appear to have a bit more exclusivity in that regard for about the same price. In the end though; if the Lowepro has superior performance, features – then that is what counts most and at their price point they might be difficult to beat.

I’m currently considering the Lowepro SlingShot 202 AW. I’m not entirely sure it will even hold my camcorder and Rhode VideoMic Pro – the mic is about 10+ inches long. It’s readily available locally and I could easily try it out to see.

The Kata KT DL-3N1-20 Sling Backpack, and Clik Elite both have a tripod strap as well. I’m surprised to see opinions here in favor of the Lowepro over the Kata; or maybe I shouldn’t be surprised?

Fastfwd01's gear list:Fastfwd01's gear list
Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS M
Fastfwd01
Regular MemberPosts: 301Gear list
Like?
Re: Point and Shoot/Camcorder Sling Bag
In reply to Fastfwd01, Jul 5, 2013

I picked up the Lowepro. The local shop actually carries Kata and I wasn’t blown away by the 3 in 1 30 they had in stock enough to favor Kata. The Clik Elite is nowhere to be found and I’m not sure it would accommodate my needs (packing a Rode VideoMic with a hint of room to spare). The Lowepro does and is still rather compact relatively speaking compared to the Tamrac offerings in that style I think.

I’m not super jazzed with the stylishness of my other Lowepro bags (little more than strictly padded protection really – functional at best), but this one seems at least a tad bit more stylish and I can’t deny that it has features (tripod strap specifically) that seem to be implemented very well – even if the materials might not be quite on par with a Tamrac, etc. The price was right for me right now anyway and my needs.

Pluses for me; bigger single sling strap that seems like it will serve better to keep from digging in my shoulder, main padded compartment size accommodates my needs to serve dual purpose for camcorder gear carry, lots of little pockets here and there that might be handy, the 202 seems perfectly sized for what I see my use of it and still has roomy compartments, appreciate inclusion of the all-weather cover – that could be very handy and I miss it on my current Tamrac for my still camera that my old MRock had that came in handy.

Fastfwd01's gear list:Fastfwd01's gear list
Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS M
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads